Sign in to follow this  
c_y_b

Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

No.

Unlike the 50PZ850, the 58PZ850 DOES have the raised black plastic surround just like the 800A.

yes sorry, i can only speak for the 50in 850 model, which DOES have the full glass sheet. sorry for the

confusion. guess they couldn't or didn't want to do the 58in with the full sheet of glass. Come to think of it

from memory the 65in 850 model doesnt have the full glass either, seen one over at HN in Chadstone a

while back.

Edited by ledge

No.

Unlike the 50PZ850, the 58PZ850 DOES have the raised black plastic surround just like the 800A.

Thanks Jimval.

OK, this confirms what I was thinking. Now I'm really wondering why the 50" PZ850A is the only model in the PZ850A range that has the single pane of glass finish.

I am thinking of switching from the 50" to the 58" because I've decided I like the raised black plastic surround, but I want to buy Made in Japan.

What is the best price for a TH-58PZ850A?

Well my 27/02/2009 delivery date for the 58" 850 is no more. After calling Panasonic directly they are expecting them in April now and even then the guy didn't sound overly confident.

Fingers crossed

Well my 27/02/2009 delivery date for the 58" 850 is no more. After calling Panasonic directly they are expecting them in April now and even then the guy didn't sound overly confident.

It's taken you until 4 days after the date to realise this? ;):lol:

I can't see why there is such a hold up with these panels...it's not like there is more than normal demand for TVs, and surely the manufacturing and shipping process can't take 3 months :huh:

I can't see why there is such a hold up with these panels...it's not like there is more than normal demand for TVs, and surely the manufacturing and shipping process can't take 3 months :huh:

Maybe Panasonic have stopped making many of the 2008 models, and are busy switching to the 2009 ones.

Some 2009 units are now out in the USA.

Unfortunately I have a life and don't spend every day on the DTV forum to keep you updated with my life. So I am advising you when I felt like coming on being 4 days after the fact.

But in terms of it all I was just holding on and hoping the del date would come true and I wouldn't get caught up in the April conspiracy.

Relax mmmfreegoo! B)

Diesel had smileys on his comment, so it was tongue-in-cheek, so he didn't mean to hurt your feelings. ;)

On a more personal and serious note, I've decided to throw the towel in with this waiting game. So I went to my retailer today to cancel my order for my TH-50PZ850A which I've ordered on Boxing Day 08. History on this is that, like everyone else, I was happy to wait till mid Jan, only to be told wait another two weeks for start of Feb. Then when the TV didn't show, it was wait till mid Feb. OK, I can do that, since I secured it for a good price. Come mid-Feb and the broken record was repeating the same message "its coming in another two weeks". Now March is here and the alarm bells are going off, because Panasonic is now saying "mid April".

Enough is enough. Why am I waiting up to 4 months for a TV? What assurances do I have that the TV will even show up then?

So I went to the store today with my paperwork and said that I wish to cancel my order. The store salesrep says that Panasonic are now telling them that if they can't supply the TV in April, there's a real possibility that they will substitute the model to the next generation panels that are going to be released later this year. At no extra charge.

But I've had enough of waiting so I stood my ground and cancelled the order and got my money back.

I figure that when the new models come out, Panasonic will have a glut of demand for it, so it could be an even longer wait, or the equivalent model will be a Made in China equivalent due to the price point. I doubt it very much that the Z850A replacement will be the top of the line in the Viera range anymore.

I've placed an order for a Pioneer PDP LX508 ex demo which I should hopefully receive next week. It's not the latest model, but from all accounts, it's not a bad panel and possibly still a better panel than the Viera PZ850A.

Yay!! :D

Has anyone had an issue with getting NO SIGNAL when trying to watch a TV program?

I'm getting it very intermittantly - about once every 3 months, and it lasts several hours. Strangely it doesnt effect channel 7.

I doubt it's my antenna, as all channels on my Beyonwiz PVR remain perfectly fine. It was windy on both occasions, but I think that's a co-incidence.

I would like to get to the bottom of this before my warranty expires.

Edited by scanspeak

Very hard to diagnose an intermittent problem...especially one that only occurs once every 3 months. If it's not affecting the PVR, then I would assume that the antenna is fine (the BW's are known to have a slightly weak tuner). Could it be that the flylead to the TV get's bumped or is loose?

Relax mmmfreegoo! B)

Diesel had smileys on his comment, so it was tongue-in-cheek, so he didn't mean to hurt your feelings. ;)

On a more personal and serious note, I've decided to throw the towel in with this waiting game. So I went to my retailer today to cancel my order for my TH-50PZ850A which I've ordered on Boxing Day 08. History on this is that, like everyone else, I was happy to wait till mid Jan, only to be told wait another two weeks for start of Feb. Then when the TV didn't show, it was wait till mid Feb. OK, I can do that, since I secured it for a good price. Come mid-Feb and the broken record was repeating the same message "its coming in another two weeks". Now March is here and the alarm bells are going off, because Panasonic is now saying "mid April".

Enough is enough. Why am I waiting up to 4 months for a TV? What assurances do I have that the TV will even show up then?

So I went to the store today with my paperwork and said that I wish to cancel my order. The store salesrep says that Panasonic are now telling them that if they can't supply the TV in April, there's a real possibility that they will substitute the model to the next generation panels that are going to be released later this year. At no extra charge.

But I've had enough of waiting so I stood my ground and cancelled the order and got my money back.

I figure that when the new models come out, Panasonic will have a glut of demand for it, so it could be an even longer wait, or the equivalent model will be a Made in China equivalent due to the price point. I doubt it very much that the Z850A replacement will be the top of the line in the Viera range anymore.

I've placed an order for a Pioneer PDP LX508 ex demo which I should hopefully receive next week. It's not the latest model, but from all accounts, it's not a bad panel and possibly still a better panel than the Viera PZ850A.

Yay!! :D

Yeah my bad, just gutted about this tv, it's starting to give me the s***s.

Ssssoooooooooooo....... If you have had to wait twice as long for your plasma then what are my chances of getting mine?

I really don't want to wait for the new model and maybe get a lesser quality model. The flagship, Z1 I think, what are we looking at in terms of $ for that one in a 58".

Also are Pioneers just as rare now in the 60" model (are they hell expensive?).

If I can't get my 850, Pioneers are rare and cost more and I don't want to wait until Q4 of '09 for the new model then what else is there? Nothing, no other options as I don't want any other brand.

Yeah my bad, just gutted about this tv, it's starting to give me the s***s.

Ssssoooooooooooo....... If you have had to wait twice as long for your plasma then what are my chances of getting mine?

I really don't want to wait for the new model and maybe get a lesser quality model. The flagship, Z1 I think, what are we looking at in terms of $ for that one in a 58".

Also are Pioneers just as rare now in the 60" model (are they hell expensive?).

If I can't get my 850, Pioneers are rare and cost more and I don't want to wait until Q4 of '09 for the new model then what else is there? Nothing, no other options as I don't want any other brand.

If you are willing to settle for a 54" Panasonic, I believe these are comming out sooner than the 58". No-one knows for sure though so you could still be waiting either way. I am keen on the V series 54", if these are under $4K it'll be my first plasma.

If you are willing to settle for a 54" Panasonic, I believe these are comming out sooner than the 58". No-one knows for sure though so you could still be waiting either way. I am keen on the V series 54", if these are under $4K it'll be my first plasma.

54" is too small for my liking. May just have to wait until April and see what happens I guess

I reckon it's safe to say that the new Panas won't have an equivalent size in oz until the 850's are all gone. I wasn't prepared to wait another year so jumped in and got a 58pz850 that was destined to be a demo model. This TV (along with a couple of pre-paid sets) was ordered by HN in November and arrived late Feb!

Well.......i've just cancelled an order for a 650 Samsung PLASMA ( based on too many negative PQ and reliabilty issues ) and have entered the Hornets nest of the Pana 800 v 850 saga..........LOL

I've opted for the 850 on the premise that it is a made in Japan model ( my current 32"Hitachi Plasma is a JAPAN model and apart from an initial panel issue that was rectified, it has worked faultlessly for 5 years now ) and the fact that the 850 has a much better sound.........I don't have plans for a SS system..........

It will be hooked up to a FOXTEL IQ Box ( standard Def IQ ) and a PS3.

I'm looking forward to an excellent performing set...........despite the heated arguments regarding the alleged "softer"picture of the 850.

Interesting how it is discernible to some and not to others ?...........crazy really considering the fact that not everyone has the same field of vision. What looks sharp to one person translates to grainy to another. Greater colour palleting to one person translates to artificial looking to another etc etc........

At the end of the day, I'm just hoping that this set blows me away. The 650 Sammy was my 1st choice and all the reviews were excellent until I read reviews from actual owners and discovered a multitude of major issues....just couldn't live with having the SAMMY service tech living in our house.....LOL

Cost of the 850 with extended warranty ended up costing me a tad over 3K.

I've seen reviews and pics of the latest 09 Pana models, but I just can't see them being in the same price range based on the lower $$AUD.

I was gonna wait for the newer models, but I reckon they would be well over 4K for the 50" models ??.........

I've opted for the 850 on the premise that it is a made in Japan model ( my current 32"Hitachi Plasma is a JAPAN model and apart from an initial panel issue that was rectified, it has worked faultlessly for 5 years now ) and the fact that the 850 has a much better sound.........I don't have plans for a SS system..........

Japan Vs China made Panasonic screens is a moot point these days.

But the additional subwoofers do make a much better sound...I can't believe they dropped these from the x00 series and now only offer it in the 850s :wacko:

Japan Vs China made Panasonic screens is a moot point these days.

Probably right....Most of the Chinese stuff is Okay these days. It's just that I find most of the HIGH END stuff from Japanese companies is still manufactured in Japan. They outsource the volume sellers to China , Malaysia etc..... Maybe an economy of scale production philosophy.I don't know.

Out of curiosity, are any of the Pioneer KUROS models made outside Japan ??......or any of the High End SONY products. ( XBR and Z series ) ????

Perhaps the greatest benefit would be consistency of quality more than anything else. I don't have any particular qualms against anything made in China.......especially if its from a large manufacturer like Panasonic / Sony as I'm sure that have strict QC regardless of manufacturing plant. Its more the lower end companies that are looking for economies of scale and don't really care enough about consistency........SAMSUNG made in Malaysia products springs to mind. Too many inconsistencies that spoil an otherwise brilliant product.

I'm pretty sure all the Pioneers are made in Japan. Thye have a big sign on the side of the carton and in-store demos spruiking this point

I think these days it can be a bit of a grey area. A lot of the components are going to be made in the same places whether it's labeled as "manufactured" in one country or another. A "Japanese" screen may include many parts from China, or a "China" screen may include many parts from Japan, it's just going to be the assembly and all important QA process that may differ.

It's like saying a "Holden Commodore" is Australian, yes a few parts of it are, and it is assembled here, but a large percentage of the parts these days also made in china/korea.

Edited by predator666

I think these days it can be a bit of a grey area. A lot of the components are going to be made in the same places whether it's labeled as "manufactured" in one country or another. A "Japanese" screen may include many parts from China, or a "China" screen may include many parts from Japan, it's just going to be the assembly and all important QA process that may differ.

It's like saying a "Holden Commodore" is Australian, yes a few parts of it are, and it is assembled here, but a large percentage of the parts these days also made in china/korea.

Fair enough....but Like everyone else on here, I'm puzzled as to the inordinately huge wait on these sets from Panasonic ?

Although I only ordered mine yesterday, I actually took over someone elses order that was in the system since last November / December 08 !!!

They cancelled a couple of days ago , so I just took over their spot on the waiting list..........so technically, my order is already 4 months old.....WTF !!!

So I rang Panasonic today.........to which I now firmly believe the term Panasonic means .......rude, unhelpful and useless in Japanese.........LOL

They were no help and quite insistant that the retailer has the information and power to make things happen. They had no idea on how their supply chain operates and whether there was a shipment from Japan due in any time soon.

Anyway, I'll give it a month more and then see what happens.........by then the new models may even be on display here and the pricing will be interesting.........Panasonic may end up with a flood of older sets available that they can't sell if the newer ones are heaps better and price competitive...........POETIC JUSTICE...........you betchya !!

Out of curiosity - has anyone taken receipt of their Pana 800A or 850A this week ??

Great stuff, hope you enjoy your new panel, but for me it is a CRYING SHAME to not pair up a panel of this very high standard with equivalent-quality sound.

does anyone know if there are any of these left in sydney ?

Apparently a new (and final) shipment has just arrived, but filling back orders is the first priority.

Great stuff, hope you enjoy your new panel, but for me it is a CRYING SHAME to not pair up a panel of this very high standard with equivalent-quality sound.

Very true..........but I just don't have the coin to do both at the moment, and by all accounts, the 850 can stand on its own for Sound Quality and stereo imaging probably better than most el cheapo SS systems I imagine.