Sign in to follow this  
c_y_b

Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

Thanks for that bit of advice Jimval.

I'm also in the market for a 58" Panasonic but, being an '850' model - I had my concerns that the same issues that plagued the 50" would carry over to the 58" version.

So it's 100% confirmed that the 58" 850 has the same bezel as the 800 series?

The best price so far up here in Darwin is $5,600.

Anyone seen better?

Cheers.

…..and more importantly has Deep Colour/Digital Cinema Colour (the 800 hasn't).

Actually “Deep Colour” is a useless “feature”, no domestically available video uses it (with the possible exception of cheap domestic grade handicams) or is likely to, and that includes Bluray.

What's also annoying about Panasonic here is the Australian version of the 800 is not THX certified unlike the overseas model.

850 has 4 x HDMI inputs, 800 has 3 x HDMI inputs.

850 made in Japan.

The THX “certification” means next to nothing, if you want accurate colour and gamma you will need to get the display calibrated by a professional. It possible the 850 may offer more advanced calibration options in the service menu then the 800, I don’t know.

See if you can find reviews that show the colour accuracy of each before and after calibration.

Can we get a review of the TH-58PZ850A from anyone that has one set up in there home.Any thoughts would be valuable to those of us who are looking closely at buying one.

The THX “certification” means next to nothing, if you want accurate colour and gamma you will need to get the display calibrated by a professional.

Not many people are going to stump up $400 or $500 on a professional calibration.

It amounts to about 10% of the cost of the set.

What do you make of these comments on the 800U ('U': overseas model, 'A': local model) when reviewed on cnet.com:

"The TH-50PZ800U has a special THX picture preset that, when engaged, causes the TV's picture to comply with the certification"....

"Thanks primarily to the accuracy of its THX picture mode, the TH-50PZ800U is one of the best-performing plasmas we've ever tested."

I don't understand, how is this useless?

Edited by jimval

Thanks for that bit of advice Jimval.

I'm also in the market for a 58" Panasonic but, being an '850' model - I had my concerns that the same issues that plagued the 50" would carry over to the 58" version.

So it's 100% confirmed that the 58" 850 has the same bezel as the 800 series?

The best price so far up here in Darwin is $5,600.

Anyone seen better?

Cheers.

You can do better.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1235321

I ended up cancelling the order because at the 11th hour I managed to get a terrific deal on the set I originally wanted, the Pio lx609.

Mind you, someone else on this thread claim they could pick it up for only $4500,

so I think <$5k is very, very achievable.

Yes. I saw these models side-by-side and the 58" 850 looks like it has the same bezel as the 50" 800.

The 50" 850 is distinctly different in that the bezel surround is just an extension of the glass, which gives the illusion that it is offset from the image.

I have to say, if I didn't read the reviews beforehand, I would not have noticed or thought that the 50" 850 had a 'softer' picture than the 800.

Edited by jimval

Not many people are going to stump up $400 or $500 on a professional calibration.

It amounts to about 10% of the cost of the set.

What do you make of these comments on the 800U ('U': overseas model, 'A': local model) when reviewed on cnet.com:

"The TH-50PZ800U has a special THX picture preset that, when engaged, causes the TV's picture to comply with the certification"....

"Thanks primarily to the accuracy of its THX picture mode, the TH-50PZ800U is one of the best-performing plasmas we've ever tested."

I don't understand, how is this useless?

The “THX” mode on the Panasonics is NOT accurate according to the tests below, primary and secondary colors are off target, especially green which is way off.

Seems the only way to get accurate colour out of the Panasonic is to use the Component inputs

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisp..._tv/index8.html

Here are the results for the 85u, again not accurate.

http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/1...85u/index4.html

If you want to see what accurate performance looks like here is the Pioneer Kuro,

http://hometheatermag.com/plasmadisplays/p...dtv/index4.html

And another Pioneer here:

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays...tor/index8.html

Even the Pioneers need pro calibration using instruments (not a test disk) to achieve colour accuracy, that’s why people who are interested in the best most accurate picture pay the money for a pro calibration, or spend decent cash on a good colour meter and learn how to do the job them selves, assuming they can get the relevant service data and don’t mind mucking around with TV’s vitals.

Jimval - Can I ask what you got the Pio lx609 set for? PM if you prefer.

I'm in WA and rang Harvey Norman, Retravision, The Good Guys and Rick Hart about a 58" 850a.

Most are quoting about $6600-6700 as their RRP but are giving me quotes of $5400 over the phone.

I have to organize it over the phone as I live miles away from any store and will have to get it shipped to me.

How much better do you think I could/should get under this price. I know it makes it hard as I am on the phone but I don't have any other way. Would I be better off trying to get someone to go into the shop and show the 5k cash or just live with it and pay the $5400 and maybe ask for a power surge powerboard to be thrown in or something?

Thanks

Ended up buying the 58" PZ850 for $5449. Not stock until the end of Feb so have to wail a bit.

Anyone else with the 58" use the 'run in pictures' for the warm up/burn in phase?

If so, how did you go with it?

Thanks

have to wail a bit.

Thanks

Yeah that's what ive been doing as well :P . The "wait" for stock is killing me!

what does the 'A' stand for in TH-58PZ850A

ive been offered a very good price for a TH-58PZ850U but cant work out what the difference is?

EDIT:

is it just a USA model vs a AUS model ?

Edited by Duo

what does the 'A' stand for in TH-58PZ850A

ive been offered a very good price for a TH-58PZ850U but cant work out what the difference is?

EDIT:

is it just a USA model vs a AUS model ?

Your right with the U being for the USA and the A being for Aust. I'm not sure but it might be a UA model which is newer spec than that of a U model but I think the TV's are the same but may have a different board.

What was the price you got? Internet or shop?

Your right with the U being for the USA and the A being for Aust. I'm not sure but it might be a UA model which is newer spec than that of a U model but I think the TV's are the same but may have a different board.

What was the price you got? Internet or shop?

was one of those "too good to be true"...was a scam !

The 50" PZ850A has got a piece of glass that completely surrounds the plasma screen behind it, and so it is a smooth finish all the way on the outside of the TV. There is no "ridge" where the black plastic surround is, which the 80A and the 800A has.

Can anyone tell me if the 58" PZ850A also have this full piece of glass, or does it have the raised black plastic surround like the 800A?

The reason why I ask is because I was in a store comparing the TH-58PZ850A against the TH-50PZ850A and I noticed this difference in the construction of the 50" 850A. And I'm really struggling to understand why Panasonic did this only on the 50" PZ850A but not the 58" PZ850A. I'm sure that Panasonic Australia do not bring in a 58" 800A, so I'm pretty sure that it was a 58" PZ850A that I was looking at, which had the same construction like a 800A.

was one of those "too good to be true"...was a scam !

How was it a scam? For info of others as well if they come across it

Thanks

dosnt seem to b any in australia till at least march or maybe now april they are now saying

The longer the Th-58PZ850A remains out of stock, the more people will choose to wait for the 2009 neo-pdp model.

If Panasonic Australia announce their 2009 models in May (which they did in 08) then you only have to wait a month from April to see what is around the corner. (Of course the problem is we may not get stock of the 58s till very late 2009 :angry2: )

I just bought one (HN had 2 ordered since early December which arrived yesterday - one for a customer & one for display ). Everywhere else i asked locally said the wait for one would be around 4 wks (i.e. end March).

I put this on another thread but was curious as to stores filling their orders, especially with the blu ray promotion.

I ordered and paid for a 58" 850 on the 04/02/2009 and were expecting the order to come in today so I rang them and the warehouse manager said they weren't sure when the plasmas would arrive.

Is anyone else waiting on a 58" and have you heard anything more than I have?

"Can anyone tell me if the 58" PZ850A also have this full piece of glass, or does it have the raised black plastic surround like the 800A?"

looks like this still needs answering.

yes it does have the full glass on the front, and it would definately be my choice of panel over the 800 model. word is, there is quite some difference between the models, not so much visibly but internally.

cheers.

Is anyone else waiting on a 58" and have you heard anything more than I have?

There's an absolute drought of 50" and 58" PZ850A at the moment, and no retailer can tell you when and how many they are going to get anytime in the future.

David Jones have stopped taking orders on any PZ850A models citing that the new range is coming soon. When I probed how soon, they couldn't say for sure.

;)

yes it does have the full glass on the front, and it would definately be my choice of panel over the 800 model. word is, there is quite some difference between the models, not so much visibly but internally.

cheers.

Thanks Ledge.

Most interesting since the Clive Peeters store in Coburg has a 58" PZ850A mounted on their display and it was a simple black plastic surround, i.e. not the full sheet of glass from edge to edge.

So that's why I was perplexed by the difference compared to the 50" PZ850A that they have next to it. I'll have to go back and check it again.

"Can anyone tell me if the 58" PZ850A also have this full piece of glass, or does it have the raised black plastic surround like the 800A?"

cheers.

No.

Unlike the 50PZ850, the 58PZ850 DOES have the raised black plastic surround just like the 800A.

Just got the TH-50PZ80A for $2659 with 5 year warranty and delivery (tomorrow) from Harvey Norman at QV melbourne.

Didn't even need to try hard.

JB on elizabeth was was talking 2900, and Myer were talking 2740 + delivery

Edit: Will be quite an upgrad efrom my AWA

Edited by starsky