Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

Guest c_y_b

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aussiemart

Spoke to HN here in vic today, (we had ordered an 58/850a in december) and he's answer was (YOUR JUST NOT GOING TO GET ONE, THERE NOT MAKING THEM ANYMORE AND THERE NOT COMING ) couldnt beleive that after waiting so long and then being promised everyweek that we would have one in a couple of weeks for 4 months.

Am very angry <_<

Spoke to HN here in vic today, (we had ordered an 58/850a in december) and he's answer was (YOUR JUST NOT GOING TO GET ONE, THERE NOT MAKING THEM ANYMORE AND THERE NOT COMING ) couldnt beleive that after waiting so long and then being promised everyweek that we would have one in a couple of weeks for 4 months.

Am very angry <_<

Well....here's your perfect opportunity to wait and see what the new Pannas will look like........by all accounts, better resolution, THX specs , less power consumption and slimmer cabinets...........might be a blessing in disguise ????

I too am waiting for my 50" 850A..........but after reading about the new models.......I'm not too fussed now...........its just the waiting that's the killer..........and I'm hoping the pricing is somewhat similar.

Guest aussiemart
Well....here's your perfect opportunity to wait and see what the new Pannas will look like........by all accounts, better resolution, THX specs , less power consumption and slimmer cabinets...........might be a blessing in disguise ????

I too am waiting for my 50" 850A..........but after reading about the new models.......I'm not too fussed now...........its just the waiting that's the killer..........and I'm hoping the pricing is somewhat similar.

I hope the new model comes soon then, sooooo much waiting ;-(

...THERE NOT MAKING THEM ANYMORE...

Interesting if true, but can you trust a salesman? Panasonic may have shut down production of the Th-58Z850a to switch to the new models but that would leave a very long gap with no stock. It would be very surprising to see a 2009, 58 inch model before September. (The V10 and S1, 58 inch models are due in the USA around August)

Interesting if true, but can you trust a salesman? Panasonic may have shut down production of the Th-58Z850a to switch to the new models but that would leave a very long gap with no stock. It would be very surprising to see a 2009, 58 inch model before September. (The V10 and S1, 58 inch models are due in the USA around August)

If past history is anything to go by (and the latest shortage is certainly not common if you look back on history), all production would have switched over to the new models, starting with the smaller 42"-50" models which are the big volume sellers and the slower selling 54"-65" will need to wait :(

Just completed a deal on a TH58 PZ850A at Harvey Norman in Adelaide for $5800 including delivery but not plugging in cables. They assured me it was in stock and will be delivered on Wednesday, however he also said it was their only one and it was not ex-display. I am reasonably happy with this price although I think the best price on these forums is $5400.

Any advice on extended warranty (I've heard that the HN warranty is not that good and they wanted $650 extra for this) and any advice on cables?

Buy the way, for anyone who lives in Adelaide, I went to Keith Bowden to see if they could do any better. I told them I had purchased all my TV's from them before, and wanted to give them the chance to live up to their reputation for not being beaten on price. Best price they could do was $6400 (not actually in-stock) . When I challenged the chap about their price beating policy he pointed out to me that their policy is "We deliver on price". He went on to explain that this means that they will make sure I am a happy customer by lovingly bringing the TV to my house, plugging in the cables and turning it on. He went on to explain that "We deliver on price" does not mean that they will beat a competitors price for same product in stock. I have to say I thought that was pretty lame.

Edited by Alienbeef

I'm hunting around for a TH58PZ850A.

Saw one advertised for $6,000 at Myer Sydnet today. Looked great.

I've read all the comments, there is a lot of talk on price but no one has really given a review of the TV.

I'd love to hear what someone who has a TH58PZ850A thinks of it.

Share thour thoughts !

I'm hunting around for a TH58PZ850A.

Saw one advertised for $6,000 at Myer Sydnet today. Looked great.

I've read all the comments, there is a lot of talk on price but no one has really given a review of the TV.

I'd love to hear what someone who has a TH58PZ850A thinks of it.

Share thour thoughts !

Mine was delivered by Harvey Norman on Wednesday as promised. It was obvious from how it was packaged that it was not a display model. I was a bit worried about that as I was surprised they even had one in stock given all the supply problems with panasonic lately.

So far I am quite happy. We are using it in a bright well lit room (lots of windows and 2 skylights) and no problem with screen brightness. Sport is no problem either. Grand Prix looks great and no problem with motion judder. My wife loves the cricket and has been watching all the IPL. No problem with tracking the ball. I don't watch much AFL but the bit I did see yesterday looked good too.

Even though we have a good 5.1 Kef speaker system driven by an Onkyo amp, due to some cabling issues we have only been using the speakers on the TV till our new entertainment unit arrives. The sound from the TV is surprisingly good. We have it attached to a Toppy 7000 DVR and a Panasonic BD35 Blue Ray player. Blue ray films look great and upscaling standard DVD is good too. Some of the SD transmisions from the Toppy 7000 or the internal digital tuner on the TV look grainy but I don't think that is the fault of the TV, I think the TV is just revealing the reduced quality of the signal. I purchased my HDMI cables from EZYHD over the net. The cables arrived 2 days later and am very pleased.

Colours on the Panasnic 58 are fantastic. Pioneer have always promoted their ability to manage black but I think panasonic does a better job with colours.

Anyway, so far we are happy with our purchase and have no problem recommending this tv for those considering to purchase.

Edited by Alienbeef

Guest aussiemart

Do you guys think that someone in melbourne who orderd one in december should of got he's by now out of this current shipment? i don't beleive i'm going to have to go there to speak to the manager yet again :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI I live on the central coast so sydney reception is a bit dodgy, some months ago I lost channel 9 (but get nbn which is almost the same) I searched for more channels etc no such luck. I installed new antenna searched for more channels, no luck then i wiped all and auto searched tadah! all channels came back, nothing to do with reception at all,

keep this in mind if you loose a channel or can't find a channel

great TV, 7 day EPG something I will demand in all future tv's,

see things I never before in favourite movies,

needs better set out remote and a "switch between 2 channel button" and PIP

I calibrated my 58" 850Z today using Bly Ray DVE and I am more than happy with the picture, it's almost to clear.

But I was wondering if anyone has got into the service menu and if it's worth doing eg big gains in picture quality.

My only gripe with the 850z is the lack of calibration available to ordinary users compared to what is available on os models. I did some research a while back on accessing the service menu but did not proceed because was not confident that the info was applicable to aus tvs (plus didn't want to stuff my tv settings & not be able to recover them). Where I live there doesn't seem to be a professional calibrator available - or at least i couldn't find one. That being said the settings provided on the TV work pretty well and I just use normal mode with a few minor tweaks to lower contrast etc. Would however like to tinker with the internal settings (just to see if the defaults can be improved).

• 4 months later...

Hi all. Need some advice please. I have been offered this set (TH-58PZ850A) for $3,700 plus the bonus (choice of 1 of 3 items). I know this had a RRP o $7999 at some stage.

My question is should I go for this one, wait for the new version (V series) or go LCD or LED?

Any comments?

Thanks Brad

Brad, is it an ex-display model. If it is it is too old and worn out to be worth anywhere near that.

Also, who told you the 850 is included in the current promo???? I highly doubt panasonic would offer that. they are more interested in selling the new models

Brad, is it an ex-display model. If it is it is too old and worn out to be worth anywhere near that.

Also, who told you the 850 is included in the current promo???? I highly doubt panasonic would offer that. they are more interested in selling the new models

Hi Diesel

No it's not a display item. I checked. 3 stores all within walking distance. 1 had a display model for $4,900. 1 had 1 for $4,000 again a display model. The last 1 had 3 in stock for $3,700 (Bing Lee) said the bonus applied as well.

I have since found out that the new model - TH-P58V10A - is out and 1 of the 2 stores above is selling the new model for $4,300 with bonus (didn't even ask for a discount, so I assume I could get better). Go figure, new model for $4,300 and the old display model for $4,900 ????

I'm thinking the new TH-P58V10A looks the go. Now what's a good price for this item, any takers?

Brad

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread guys. Just wondering if there is a setting to enable 24p mode on my 50pz800a. I am inputting a 1080p signal @ 24Hz from my HTPC. It looks fine to me but just wanted to check there was nothing I was missing. Have read other threads about the new models that mention a setting.

Sorry to dig up an old thread guys. Just wondering if there is a setting to enable 24p mode on my 50pz800a. I am inputting a 1080p signal @ 24Hz from my HTPC. It looks fine to me but just wanted to check there was nothing I was missing. Have read other threads about the new models that mention a setting.

Both models auto detect and enable 24p. There is no need to do anything.

• 3 months later...

What did you press to get PiP?

I thought only the PZ850 had PiP?

EDIT: Sorry, I see in your sig you have the 850 - sorry I assumed you had the 800 as that is what this is the thread is about. Pg 16 of the manual shows how to use PiP. Use the coloured buttons to choose the PiP you want to change and then select the AV input desired.

I do note though that pg45 states the following

You can watch two images at once. (p. 16)

•The same input mode cannot be displayed at once.

•The sound is active for main screen only in multi window.

•You cannot change the aspect ratio in multi window.

Multi window cannot be used with PC, SD card, HDMI (available for main screen only) or 1080p signal from Component (Y, PB/CB, PR/CR).

•Some signals are reformatted for suitable viewing on your display.

•The display timeout for the input mode or programme position can be adjusted by “Banner Display Timeout” in

Setup Menu (p. 25).

So it would seem you can't have two HDMI sources for PiP. Propably requires too much processing power for the display chipset.

Edited by diesel

What did you press to get PiP?

I thought only the PZ850 had PiP?

EDIT: Sorry, I see in your sig you have the 850 - sorry I assumed you had the 800 as that is what this is the thread is about. Pg 16 of the manual shows how to use PiP. Use the coloured buttons to choose the PiP you want to change and then select the AV input desired.

I do note though that pg45 states the following

So it would seem you can't have two HDMI sources for PiP. Propably requires too much processing power for the display chipset.

Hey Diesel, hows things?

It says 800a and 850a in the thread title

I looked at the manual and I don't think I was reading it right. Shame it doesn't do both HDMI as that would have been the reason I would use it.

Thank you for going to the trouble of looking into that for me, greatly appreciated.

It says 800a and 850a in the thread title

:blush: Oops.

I just looked at the tab (IE8) and that was all that was visible ...PZ800

Too many beers...must adjust the beer goggles ;)

Edited by diesel