Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

Guest c_y_b

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the fine print of the policy show that you have better cover?

I suspect Myer just picked up an extra $400 on the deal.

Absolutely.

I obviously don't know how much they made on it,

but I'm sure it was a killing since I think I did well on the price of the TV.

It is Myer (or DJs) after all and nothing comes cheap with them.

It was the first thing I asked about when visiting DJs and I had the Myer sales rep read out the Product cover warranty over the phone before even going into the store.

I also read and kept the Product Cover documentation after I arrived.

As mentioned above, I had bad experiences with HN/ext warranty.

I bought 3 appliances from them back in 2000 each around $2k

(Air-Con, Dishwasher, Washer/Dryer) and only paid $99 (per appliance) for +4 years ext. warranty.

You mentioned fine print, well in the HN case, there was absolutely NO ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION OR DETAILS of the cover I paid for.

It just said "$99 Ext. Warranty" on the receipt under each appliance!

I'll take the rip-off price that Myer charged on the chin, and sleep a little easier for the next 5 years.

As I said, if you're only paying $200 for 5 yrs ext.warranty on a $5k+ TV,

you get what you pay for.

From my experience, this is the BEST advice I can give on this forum.

Edited by jimval

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster.

In regards to the TH-50PZ850A, some of the reviews I have read mention the picture can appear a little softer due to the outer glass internal reflection.

Firstly, can anyone explain exactly what this means? Is it only viewable under certain conditions? (ie a bright room.)

And to anyone who has one - have you experienced this?

Thanks.

I originally wanted a Pio LX608, but stock had already run out, so I looked at an LX609, but the new stock price killed it for me (best price $9750 from BPP, Cheltenham).

I was then tossing between the Panny TH-58PZ850 and the Pio LX-508A, but can only get floor stock of the Pio and I really want the size of the Panny.

Saw a couple of 58PZ850s today in 2 stores, running Ch9.HD with the cricket, the other with a blu-ray demo disc and I was very impressed with both units.

I'm surprised how much the price is coming down and I haven't seen a better price than the GG-Wagga price above.

Even super expensive DJs in Taren Point (Sydney) had a ticketed price of $5599. Though not as cheap as GG-Wagga, but still cheap for DJs straight off the bat.

Though not quite as good as the lx609, I realise now that in relation to price/performance ratio against the Pioneer, the Panasonic 58PZ850 is a terrific panel.

($5287 Panny vs $9750 for the Pio)

My finger is on the trigger to purchase one of these panels.

Has anyone seen a better price than GG-Wagga on the 58PZ850?

I'm in Sydney.

Your help is much appreciated.

I actually went into Good Guys before Xmas.......Thomastown.

I insisted that i could get it (The panasonic 58" 850) for $4500 and he said he could do it for that price.

So push them harder and youll get it for 4500. Show them the colour of 4500 cash and they wont let u leave..Money is scarce ;)

I actually went into Good Guys before Xmas.......Thomastown.

I insisted that i could get it (The panasonic 58" 850) for $4500 and he said he could do it for that price.

So push them harder and youll get it for 4500. Show them the colour of 4500 cash and they wont let u leave..Money is scarce ;)

Agree 100%.

I think many retailers are starting to get nervous.

I ended up cancelling the Panasonic shortly afterwards because I managed to score a terrific price for the new Pioneer LX609,

despite all the doomsayers (re: lousy $A, Jan/Feb price rises, blah..blah...blah).

Forget the $A and the new RRPs.

You can always get a great price from the right retail outlet if you speak to the right person (shop owner or sales manager).

Especially one that sells many panels of the brand you're looking for, where the reduced profit on the sale, is made up for on the rebate.

Agree 100%.

I think many retailers are starting to get nervous.

I ended up cancelling the Panasonic shortly afterwards because I managed to score a terrific price for the new Pioneer LX609,

despite all the doomsayers (re: lousy $A, Jan/Feb price rises, blah..blah...blah).

Forget the $A and the new RRPs.

You can always get a great price from the right retail outlet if you speak to the right person (shop owner or sales manager).

Especially one that sells many panels of the brand you're looking for, where the reduced profit on the sale, is made up for on the rebate.

That is true. Cash is king at the moment. You can get great deals if money is at hand. Just be prepared to walk if they are not willing to do the price you

think is reasonable. Most people are looking to buy tv's under two gee's on finance. You rock up with the moola for a 58 or god forbid 65 inch pana, and it would be a crazy retailer that lets you leave.

So has anyone taken a dive on the 65pz850? Would love to see how much this beauty is really going for!

So has anyone taken a dive on the 65pz850? Would love to see how much this beauty is really going for!

I'd love to know also. I cant decide on the 65 Pana or the Pio LX609. Do I go extra screen real estate, or do I go supposed best picture quality? I'm waiting on West Coast HiFi here in Perth to get the Pio in then I can compare the two. I've got cash, so hopefully thats a good bargaining tool...

On-line stores are offering the newly released Panasonic series 11 65" commercial panel for around the $6600 mark. (the 58" is about $4500)

Hi cummo, could you possibly show me some links to those prices? It might give me some bargaining power. Cheers...

true, but a comparison helps.

a 65 incher commercial panel for around the $6600 mark, the retail on a 65pz850 is 9999. Thats

3399 for a tuner and speakers and those items integrated in the panel.

Gotta love retail!

Correct the RRPs are a bit ridiculous. I guess plenty of people pay the price without trying to haggle. From what i can gather in this thread there are people getting the 58" with tuner at the same price as the 58" without tuner online price. In my more limited market I'd be struggling to get those sort of quotes however.

Correct the RRPs are a bit ridiculous. I guess plenty of people pay the price without trying to haggle. From what i can gather in this thread there are people getting the 58" with tuner at the same price as the 58" without tuner online price. In my more limited market I'd be struggling to get those sort of quotes however.

lets not forget the rrp for the 65 incher on the pana website is 11990. Even more ridiculous!

I have gone around a few stores to see for prices on the 65pz850.

The Good guys have a promotion that is, retailer price plus one dollar sale!

They originally had the tv for 11999, pana's rrp.

Today it was 10499, best price they could do was 10k.

that sale is pretty much a joke as my next trip (read below) indicated. Either they

are buying the tv's for more than HN or their promotion is fake.

(I would say the later)

Harvey has the tv for 9999 and can do 8800 to 8900.

and finally jb do not have the 65". ETA is mid february.

Just some news for those interested in the 65" pana.

The model numbers are th-58pf11wk and th-65pf11wk.

These are some googled sites ... site 1, site 2

These panels have just been released, so the pricing should improve.

mate, cheers for putting these model numbers up.

ive been reading up about the panasonics and i think they are great tvs. i never thought about commercial models for home.

before i moved to Oz my office in NZ had commercial 65" plasmas, heaps of them, and they were great compared to retail ones back then. i don't need a tuner or audio as i use foxtel, bluray etc 100% of the time, and use my receiver, audio gear 100%. so really i just want the panel for best price.

your prices listed definitely shave a good amount off the retail prices

After seeing everyones posts and thinking good times to purchase a 58" 850 I see in the Sunday Times (WA) that RRP prices are going up in the next month or so.

Apparantly Panasonic and Pioneer released a statement confirming it.

How's that going to affect our ability to purchase at the prices some of you have been quoted.

Might have to jump in now I think and grab one.

After seeing everyones posts and thinking good times to purchase a 58" 850 I see in the Sunday Times (WA) that RRP prices are going up in the next month or so.

Apparantly Panasonic and Pioneer released a statement confirming it.

How's that going to affect our ability to purchase at the prices some of you have been quoted.

Might have to jump in now I think and grab one.

You can take the 'new' RRPs with a grain of salt.

You will get a deal every bit as good if not better irrespective of the upcoming 'price rises'.

As an example, Pioneer had its price rise Jan 1st, yet buyers are getting even better deals than before the January price rise, and that's with new stock.

So assuming I've made the right decision, hence I'm here; where to buy (in Syd) for best price?

Dumb question; whats the difference between the 800 and 850??

Going to drop the cash on one today.

Many thanks for advice.

Cheers

Thommo

Buyers have been getting great deals from all the major retail chains.

At the end of the day, they all want to put their competitors out of business.

Firstly, have a good price in mind, that you are happy with, and is realistic.

Use the prices people have been paying on this forum as a precedent.

There is fierce inter-store competition between sales managers.

I.e. store A and store B of the same major retail chain will compete against each other for your business.

E.g. Myer/DJs store A will beat Myer/DJs store B's price because Sales Manager A will bury Sales Manager B if it means keeping his/her and staff's job.

Don't waste your time with the sales manager's sub-ordinates as they will likely just go by the store's price book or refer your buy price to the sales manager anyway.

The buck stops with the sales manager.

Use a retail chain that sells lots of the brand TV you are looking for.

I.e. they will likely make more on rebates, so they can afford to make a smaller profit on the sale.

Go for the 850 for the 58" Pana.

If it was the 50" then I would go for the 800.

This is because for some strange reason the bezel on the 50" 850 is also the glass and can make the 50" 850's picture look soft, thus the mixed reviews.

The 58" 850's bezel/glass is the same as the 800, so it doesn't have the problem of the 50" 850.

The 850 has better speakers (two-way) and more importantly has Deep Colour/Digital Cinema Colour (the 800 hasn't).

What's also annoying about Panasonic here is the Australian version of the 800 is not THX certified unlike the overseas model.

850 has 4 x HDMI inputs, 800 has 3 x HDMI inputs.

850 made in Japan.

Edited by jimval