Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

Guest c_y_b

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey CM , cnet as well as others have rated the panasonics as very good for pwr consumption....mine runs pretty cool actually .... barely getting warm , l too seen the 555w rating on the rear of the tv and thought that was what they used, but all tests done on them say otherwise.......more like 200w-300w for normal usage, so that must be the max they can use not an average .......

cheers ken

The power usage rating on electrical – electronic equipment is the maximum rating, a Plasmas average usage is much lower then its maximum rating, which is only ever reached with a full peak white image on screen.

Well I just dove in to the deep end and bought a 50PZ800A - got it from DJ for what seemed a good price. Just waiting 3 weeks before it comes in. Plenty of time to get a new cabinet, get rid of the old cabinet, the old Phillips 68cm CRT tv.....see what happens when you get a PS3 for Christmas. From reading through the threads looks like I just need to be careful of the contrast settings, but Panasonics are pretty good for burn in?

Saw the latest Panasonic 58 inch at Myer Westfield Marion (Adelaide) today for $5999 on sale down from '$6999. It looked great. They had a 58 inch Samsung nearby and the Panasonic had noticbly better picture quality. I thought this was an ok price for somebody who doesn't want to haggle. I'm not sure when the 'sale' ends. There may be even more room to move for a good haggler.

Guest aussiemart

Dosnt seem to be any stock in vic but purchased one through HN for $5670 have to wait three weeks for it to arrive though though.

I did the rounds of the usual suspects in Canberra today and no one in Fyshwick or Woden had stock at all. The Good Guys were the cheapest with a quote of $5.9k, Bing Lee and Domayne said they would match it and JB and HN wouldn't commit to a price until they had stock which was interesting because HN had three on the way so I would have thought they'd have some idea of a price. The guy at JB had no idea at all.

Everywhere I went I heard about the price rises that are suposed to be happening but the guy at Bing Lee seemed pretty sceptical about the whole thing. Only time will tell I suppose but if I could have found someone willing to do $5.5k I would have bought one today.

My local Good Guys have quoted me the following:

65PZ850A $8,923

58PZ850A $5,287

50PZ850A $2,588

(no stock though)

I'm building a house and will be buying one of those along with a 42PZ800A (for which they quoted me $1,895), so perhaps I got a nice price for bundling two TVs together.

I think I'm going to go the 50PZ850A. I don't think I can justify doubling the price to go up to the 58". It'd be nice though :)

Edited by MatF

My local Good Guys have quoted me the following:

65PZ850A $8,923

58PZ850A $5,287

50PZ850A $2,588

(no stock though)

I'm building a house and will be buying one of those along with a 42PZ800A (for which they quoted me $1,895), so perhaps I got a nice price for bundling two TVs together.

I think I'm going to go the 50PZ850A. I don't think I can justify doubling the price to go up to the 58". It'd be nice though :)

Which Good guys store?

Wagga (NSW)

I originally wanted a Pio LX608, but stock had already run out, so I looked at an LX609, but the new stock price killed it for me (best price $9750 from BPP, Cheltenham).

I was then tossing between the Panny TH-58PZ850 and the Pio LX-508A, but can only get floor stock of the Pio and I really want the size of the Panny.

Saw a couple of 58PZ850s today in 2 stores, running Ch9.HD with the cricket, the other with a blu-ray demo disc and I was very impressed with both units.

I'm surprised how much the price is coming down and I haven't seen a better price than the GG-Wagga price above.

Even super expensive DJs in Taren Point (Sydney) had a ticketed price of $5599. Though not as cheap as GG-Wagga, but still cheap for DJs straight off the bat.

Though not quite as good as the lx609, I realise now that in relation to price/performance ratio against the Pioneer, the Panasonic 58PZ850 is a terrific panel.

($5287 Panny vs $9750 for the Pio)

My finger is on the trigger to purchase one of these panels.

Has anyone seen a better price than GG-Wagga on the 58PZ850?

I'm in Sydney.

Your help is much appreciated.

Even super expensive DJs in Taren Point (Sydney) had a ticketed price of $5599. Though not as cheap as GG-Wagga, but still cheap for DJs straight off the bat.

DJ's will still negotiate so you may get close to the Wagga price, especially when Myer has their 15% off sale on ATM. Nothing like a bit of inter-store competition to help get you your price.

I had a look at the 65" Pana the other day -

and was surprised at how slim it was for such a large panel.

Specs say 109mm

Particularly as Pioneer makes such a big deal of their 64mm panel.

Was that the new $11,999.00 RRP model you saw?

Yeah crtlover, that was the one I looked at and was quoted on, the 850A

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=4860

He quoted 10.5K for the 850A and also 10.5K for their Pro 65" panel

The 850A is also $10.5 here

http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/657214/p...a-tv-viera.html

That GoodGuys price of $8.9K above is definitely the best price I've seen yet...

Edited by k00k

DJ's will still negotiate so you may get close to the Wagga price, especially when Myer has their 15% off sale on ATM. Nothing like a bit of inter-store competition to help get you your price.

All of the ticketed prices on DJs flat panels are currently 15% off, so it sounds like Myer and DJs have already got the inter-store competition happening, so there might not be too much I can trim off these guys.

I'll quote the GGs price to both of them and see what happens.

I actually prefer to buy from stores like DJs, because of the superior extended warranty over other retailers, plus I can cash in my Velocity Rewards points for a $1000 voucher towards the set.

Edited by jimval

Yeah crtlover, that was the one I looked at and was quoted on, the 850A

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=4860

He quoted 10.5K for the 850A and also 10.5K for their Pro 65" panel

The 850A is also $10.5 here

http://www.digitalcenter.com.au/p/657214/p...a-tv-viera.html

That GoodGuys price of $8.9K above is definitely the best price I've seen yet...

The 65pz850 can be had for $9999 without any haggling from my local clive peters and harvey norman. The good guys had a price on the 65 incher for 11999 which is panasonics RRP. With pricing like that I do not think good guys are serious at selling the tv. I Have yet to see what price JB hifi have the 65".

They have a history of undercutting the harvey normans of the world.

The 8900 price is the best I have heard(10% sticker price) but generally the margin in retail is roughly 20 percent. So if some one gets a price closer to the 8 mark I would be impressed!

Phew!

What a day.

I just got back after pulling the trigger on a Panasonic TH-58PZ850A from Myer, Hurstville.

$5100 : TH-58PZ850A - brand new (i.e. not floor stock)

$599 : 5 years (i.e. +4 yrs Ext/Product Cover) warranty.

$55 : Delivery (My home is a top floor apartment).

Total : $ 5754

Signed up for the Myer One card which also meant I get a $100 Myer voucher as well.

Myer's warranty is very similar to DJs. Superior warranty to HNs and the like (i.e. No Lemon Guarantee: like-for-like replacement after 3 repairs, etc).

I've had bad experiences with HN extended warranties with my Dishwasher and Washer/Dryer constantly falling over and I promised myself I wouldn't skimp on this again.

You get what you pay for with those cheap $150-200 extended warranties.

After I got to the store, the Salesman claimed he made a mistake on the +4 yrs ext. warranty price (normally $699), but acknowledged the quoted price of $599.

The first round bell sounded with the quoted price from GG-Wagga.

From there it was on for young and old between DJ and Myer and no proof of quote from GGs was asked.

I did this all over the phone folks, so there is obviously enough retailer profit margin there to be skimmed and still keep everybody happy, so the rest of you can probably do even cheaper.

I also learnt that there is plenty of inter-store competition.

Taking into account, the discount on the ext. warranty, and the $100 voucher,

I feel like I came away paying only $4900 for the TV (about half the best price of new stock Pioneer LX609, not including ext. warranty).

Myer said it will be delivered in a week.

I'm even more pleased with the end result when I noticed also they had floor stock of a Pioneer LX508

and their sell price was $5499 less 15% (i.e. $4674) and they weren't willing to discount it any further because it was the last one.

It was a clean looking floor model though.

I'll keep you posted.

(PS. I did make an error in an earlier post with the DJ price, i.e. the ticketed price was $5949 and not $5499).

Edited by jimval

Nice price! :)

When I got that quote from GG during the week, the salesguy (one of the most helpful salepeople I've met, I'll add) suggested that there might be a little more room to move when I was ready to order, after I'd said that I wasn't ready to order just yet, but would be buying sometime in the next 4-6 weeks - since I don't have a wall to put it on yet :)

Edited by MatF

Nice price! :)

When I got that quote from GG during the week, the salesguy (one of the most helpful salepeople I've met, I'll add) suggested that there might be a little more room to move when I was ready to order, after I'd said that I wasn't ready to order just yet, but would be buying sometime in the next 4-6 weeks - since I don't have a wall to put it on yet :)

Yeah. Thanks for your help.

Your GGs quote was a good starting point.

DJs especially, wouldn't budge until Myer would meet GGs price.

Then it all started from there.

Like 2 bidders in an auction.

I hope I've helped others too.

$599 is an outrageous price for extended warranty, the trader made $400 out of that.

It's pretty steep isn't it!

Myer didn't want to budge on the $699 product cover, but accepted the $599 (kicking and screaming mind you) that was originally quoted to me.

DJs wouldn't even budge from the $699 they quoted me for the equivalent cover on the same TV!

In the end if you're paying $199 for +4 years extended warranty on a $5k+ TV, well, you get what you pay for, and they're not the same as the better product cover warranties.

The best of luck to people that get the 'budget' ext. warranty, and end up with a lemon appliance (or lemons like I did) ...because they'll need it.

I have had bad experiences with the cheap extended warranties offered by the likes of HN, and I promised myself I would not go through it again.

When my appliances failed on a consistent basis, the bozos initially claimed I had purchased two of the same appliance (their database was wrong) and that I only paid for one and thus would not honour the ext. warranty, and thus not fix either appliance!

The crap I went through to prove that I only purchased one off!

It's one thing having proof through a receipt that you purchased an appliance, but it's another thing trying to prove that you never owned the 2nd appliance when it shows up in their database!

When two of my (other) appliances were failing consistently, the ext. warranty people were claiming the (obscure) internal components that were failing were considered 'consumable' items (by them of course) and would not be covered! WTF!

Had these been covered with DJ/Myer Product Cover, my regularly failing appliances would've been replaced with new or brand new equivalents to the same value, no questions asked.

Never, again will I buy a major appliance and look to save pennies on a 'budget' extended warranty or not get the best possible cover.

It's my personal preference, and it's false economy as far as I'm concerned .

I'm sure there are other retailers with equivalent excellent cover and probably do a better price, but I don't know which are the good ones.

Edited by jimval