Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

Guest c_y_b

It says no penalties for early payout. So whats the catch? i.e. if order and payout the difference the following week, will i still not only pay 5535? I see there are terms and conditions but cannot seem to find a loop hole. There is a 25 dollar establishment fee, 2.95/month service fee and 19.25% annual interest on the amount owed, but as i said if you pay it off straightaway, i can only calculate a maximum of 27.25 additional fees. 5552.95 is still a great price!

The whole idea of signing people to these deals is that the vast majority will not pay it all strait away.They want your long term business and they will give the retailer a fee for landing you.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a TH-58PZ850A (along with some other stuff) today at GG's Brighton in Melb. $5,550. Sight unseen but they had the TH-50PZ850A on display. Great service and advice, must ask for Craig (Saturday & Sunday, Tuesdays & Fri morning only). I said I had prices in mind and he was happy to play ball but I didn't push, just told him what I thought was fair. Both parties happy - that's what doing business is all about.

Craig seemed to know his stuff when it came to AV receivers, speakers, DVD recorders etc. too so will go back again when I've done more research on those items. DTV forums has really helped me out so far. Thanks to everyone who has posted here!!

Guest gillsmith
Bought a TH-58PZ850A (along with some other stuff) today at GG's Brighton in Melb. $5,550. Sight unseen but they had the TH-50PZ850A on display. Great service and advice, must ask for Craig (Saturday & Sunday, Tuesdays & Fri morning only). I said I had prices in mind and he was happy to play ball but I didn't push, just told him what I thought was fair. Both parties happy - that's what doing business is all about.

Craig seemed to know his stuff when it came to AV receivers, speakers, DVD recorders etc. too so will go back again when I've done more research on those items. DTV forums has really helped me out so far. Thanks to everyone who has posted here!!

Well done eddicat, I'm thinking seriously about the TH-58PZ850A too and would really appreciate your feedback as to picture quality (particularly sharpness) when you get a chance please. There has been some discussion raised about the 50" sharpness, i.e. 800 vs 850.

Best wishes to all,

Ron

Well done eddicat, I'm thinking seriously about the TH-58PZ850A too and would really appreciate your feedback as to picture quality (particularly sharpness) when you get a chance please. There has been some discussion raised about the 50" sharpness, i.e. 800 vs 850.

Best wishes to all,

Ron

Thanks. I'm excited! It's not going to be big enough (really wanted a 65") but it fits our budget and we'll just pull the couch forward when we need to. Anyway, I have to wait until Tuesday to find out when it'll be in stock. We don't need it for a couple of weeks so won't take delivery until then but I'll keep you posted. Also, when we do take delivery we'll be stuck with SD Foxtel and FTA (straight into the panel) until I sort things out with up-scaling receivers, blue ray, HD Foxtel etc. Gotta do more research and find room in the budget, i.e. convince the missus chairman of the board!!

Edited by eddicat

Eddicat, had my TH-50PZ850A for two days now, HD FTA - fantastic - very crisp and sharp. Once it's on its own and not in a show room next to 50 other TV's this display sits in a level of its own for features and affordability.

My room during the day is very bright and just need to tilt the blinds to avoid direct reflections/sunlight by late arvo but that was the case with my Loewe CRT. In the evening I have down lights and my wife must have them 100%, TV is still great, once she's in bed the lights are dimmed and it's even better.

Even SD FTA is acceptable but nothing compared to HD FTA & DVD. Using the antenna straight into the unit and love the EPG feature, very helpful (as we don't have any Foxtel/Optus).

BTW - my TV is running all default standard settings from the box...

Cheers Mike - I already had it on Standard (I thought it was ot of the box that way but I must have changed it)...

I noticed last night watching the rugby league on Ch 9 the odd flicker of either a pink or aqua type blue on the screen - it only happended on a tackle so and probably about times over the whole game - it has not occured with any other viewing... any ideas?

Cheers Mike - I already had it on Standard (I thought it was ot of the box that way but I must have changed it)...

I noticed last night watching the rugby league on Ch 9 the odd flicker of either a pink or aqua type blue on the screen - it only happended on a tackle so and probably about times over the whole game - it has not occured with any other viewing... any ideas?

Same thing was happening on fox on my CRT.

You may notice blockiness and pixellation on fast moving images or strobing light (eg news reports with paparazzi camera flashes gpoing off in the background), but again these issues are broadcast related due to lack of bandwidth.

Not being a financial guru what can we expect with future pricing? I see the AU$ is like 64C US, will that mean the TV will go up or if the US has a reccession our $ will go above theirs. ie. our $ being $1.50 to their $1.

BTW Addicat $5550 is sweet, hope you enjoy it

If the AUD falls the price of TV's will go up. There is speculation that the AUD will fall even further (i.e 50 US cents or even lower), so the best time to buy would be now (infact the best time was a couple of weeks ago).

If the AUD falls the price of TV's will go up. There is speculation that the AUD will fall even further (i.e 50 US cents or even lower), so the best time to buy would be now (infact the best time was a couple of weeks ago).

I suspect prices wont change until after christmas and very slightly if they do. I dont think i have ever seen a price of an electronic item actually go up. All currency risks are calculated into the price. You also have to factor in the economic condition of the manufacturer (in this case being Japan) if there currency has dropped in regards to the US dollar, then the actual US Dollar Cost will go down. Since its a global recession, everyone is being effected in some way or other. So my guess is that it wont really change.

Do you guys think it is possible for 58" plasmas to drop to the $4K price point next year?

Anything's possible although that would represent around 50% price drop from RRP. My advice would be not to hang out too long, waiting for rock bottom, or you may miss getting the product at all. For example, I was dead keen on a pioneer PDP-42XDA and was waiting for them to drop below $2K but by the time they did they were in such short supply that I missed out. To avoid disappointment again I decided to set a budget as first priority, then figure out the best / biggest panel that I could squeeze into that budget at current pricing. That way I got a panel that suited my needs at a reasonable price.

I suspect prices wont change until after christmas and very slightly if they do. I dont think i have ever seen a price of an electronic item actually go up. All currency risks are calculated into the price. You also have to factor in the economic condition of the manufacturer (in this case being Japan) if there currency has dropped in regards to the US dollar, then the actual US Dollar Cost will go down. Since its a global recession, everyone is being effected in some way or other. So my guess is that it wont really change.

That is on the assumption that the wholesailer or retailer has alot of old stock (bought when the AUD was strong).

The bottom line is that as long as the AUD falls, because it costs the wholesalers more to pay for the same goods. The last I checked, the Japanese Yen is quite volatile at the moment (1AUD = 56.25 JPY). The wholesalers won't be paying the premium and I doubt the retailers will shoulder much of that premium either. When the new stock comes in, a large part, if not a majority of the increase in cost will be passed to the consumer due to the fall in AUD.

In my opinion the price of current stock will stay low but the following line up will stay higher for longer. The rrp will be more closely followed by the retailers, for example the panasonic 800A rrp is 3600 ish but you'd be stupid to pay that now. The following model may be closer to this and stay there for longer. Jump in now the following models will have minor changes at best in the next couple of yrs, unless you wish to wait for OLED

In my opinion the price of current stock will stay low but the following line up will stay higher for longer. The rrp will be more closely followed by the retailers, for example the panasonic 800A rrp is 3600 ish but you'd be stupid to pay that now. The following model may be closer to this and stay there for longer. Jump in now the following models will have minor changes at best in the next couple of yrs, unless you wish to wait for OLED

Regardless of the strength/weakness of the $AU, over the past 3-4 years Panasonic has follwed a very systematic pricing approach.

Have highly inflated RRP$ on launch, followed by a revision in RRP$ soon after. The street price has always been 20-30% discount to RRP$. With so many $s tied up in new manufacturing plants across all the manufacturers, competition for any available consumer $ will still be strong, meaning competitive prices.

EDIT: OLED will bring a new reset in pricing levels and we start the cycle all over again - $20k for 40"

Edited by diesel

Jump in now the following models will have minor changes at best in the next couple of yrs, unless you wish to wait for OLED

Sorry, but I could not disagree more. Panasonic is launching Neo PDP next year with big changes. See earlier posts with links on Neo PDP or Google it. OLED is many years away from anything close to a 58inch see here.

Any short term movements in the dollar will over the longer term be outweighed by technology and competition. Panasonic are pushing volume up and production costs down. They also have major competition from Sony and LG. If you wait, TVs will get bigger, better and cheaper. (But no matter how long you wait, your current TV does not get any better!)

"During 2009, Quixel forecasts that prices of 58-inch plasmas will dip below $2,500" (USD)

See story here.

Let's hope it translates to savings here. I am hoping to buy a Panasonic 58" next year....but only if it come down to around the $4K mark. There seems to be a huge gap between 50" and 58" prices. People seem to be buying the 50" for around $2.5K, I'm not too sure what people are paying for the 58" but I'd image it is a least double the 50" price.

• 2 weeks later...