Panasonic Th-58pz800a And Th-58pz850a

Guest c_y_b

Hi All,

After hours and hours of searching the forum for anything remotely on the larger end Panasonic PD's - i think an official 58inch thread is in order. What i can add at this stage is the that the TH-58PZ800A will not be sold in Australia ( Click here for original post) In addition the release schedule of the other larger PD's are

TH-65PZ850A 65-inch Premium Full HD 1080p TBC November

TH-58PZ850A 58-inch Premium Full HD 1080p TBC October

TH-50PZ850A 50-inch Premium Full HD 1080p TBC August

TH-50PZ800A 50-inch Full HD 1080p TBC August

TH-46PZ800A 46-inch Full HD 1080p $3299 July

TH-42PZ800A 42-inch Full HD 1080p $2899 June

TH-50PX80A 50-inch HD $2399 June

TH-42PX80A 42-inch HD $1899 Now

TH-42PX8A 42-inch HD $1699 Now

which i got from this post

Just a side note that i found out the other day was that the 850 models are actually manufactured in Japan. Not sure how much truth there is to this but is potentially a reason as to why the 58 and 65 are both only imported in the 850 model.

Happy posting.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any news on the 58" 850 pricing? i guess no one will know until they hit the shelves but im just looking for a guesstimate so i can get together the money for when they finally arrive

Yeah i've had a mixed bag response from a number of retailers. All pretty much ranging from 5500 - 7000. I'd have to assume that its gonna be more on the lighter side as you start approaching the Pioneer pricing for the 60 inch. I guess you could use the price gaps between an existing model in Oz and US and then extrapolate. The current model is selling for as about 5999 (cheapest i've seen) and since the rumoured 850 series is still manufactured in Japan, i couldnt see it going any lower than 6 - well not until mid 09.

One of the retailers i spoke to said that they only made aware of any new product 3-6 weeks prior to it being ready for sale. So i checked on Sat (they hadnt received anyword) but were anticipating some more info in the next week as they have been having a lot of requests for this model. Time will tell.

The TH-58PZ850A appeared on the Panasonic product selector, and was then removed.

See the Google cache here

The good news is it is coming. Today I surfed by the Panasonic plasma products page, and both the TH-58PZ850A and TH-65PZ850A were up. (they have been taken down) Then bad news is after seeing the ridiculous RRP of the TH-58PZ850A I went back to work. I hope it was in error.

Care to share what the prices were?

I wanted to see if it was still in my browser cache at work, but alas it has been replaced with the current page. Gievn it was removed, I hope it was incorrect. Was $8,999 for the TH-58PZ850A.

Even after a heavy discount from the rrp, that is still too high. Makes the big Samsung/LG ones look really cheap. (even if the Panasonic picture and quality is better)

I enquired about the TH-65PZ850A 65" in HN City Cross Adelaide, he called his panasonic rep for me and they advised it will be available late october / early november, and expect RRP to be the same as the current model ($12,999). How far a retailer will be able to drop, who knows. But on it's initial release probably not as much as the current model (there was a 700 series on the floor for $7k.....)

Hmmm... not looking good. i was hoping it would be a BIT cheaper than that,actually, A LOT cheaper. Well looks like im gonna have to settle for the 50".

I have had my eye on the Samsung 6/750 series plasmas tho. Anyone heard or know anything about these PQ wise compared to the Pana 850? they look pretty sweet!

The TH-58PZ850A appeared on the Panasonic product selector, and was then removed.

See the Google cache here

The good news is it is coming. Today I surfed by the Panasonic plasma products page, and both the TH-58PZ850A and TH-65PZ850A were up. (they have been taken down) Then bad news is after seeing the ridiculous RRP of the TH-58PZ850A I went back to work. I hope it was in error.

I noticed that as well. The RRP's are pretty steep but i would imagine based on the current offerings of existing models that the price will be reduced by about 20-30% leaving this at about 6-7K. Still pretty expensive though so im thinking the 50 will have to do for me. :(

If the street price TH-58PZ850A is more than $5000 (which appears likely) then;

The gap between the 50”and 58” 850 models appears too large to sustain much volume once all the TH-58PZ700As sell out. (also with price pressure from LG & Samsung)

So it is probably prudent to wait to November to purchase a TH-58PZ850A, and hope Panasonic are discounting more from RRP.

But the longer you wait for the price to come down the more one is tempted to wait for something a lot better;

Panasonic are opening a new huge factory in May 2009, and the really thin Neo PDPs will come sometime in 2009.

See Trusted Reviews (UK) review of TH-58PZ800 here

There appears to be some similarities of the 800 model of the 58 that you would only find in the 850 model here. I know this has probably been done to death on other sizes in this forum, but i would wonder what the actual differences are here. Also if this tv carries a price tag of about 2800 - 3000 pounds, i wonder what that would mean for Oz. Based on the exchange rates (0.44) this equates to about 6400 AU dollars - which isnt as bad as i had initially feared based on RRP.

I know its not a simple matter of converting the pound to dollar to get an estimate locally, but based on existing tv prices, does anybody know what this would really work out locally.

There appears to be some similarities of the 800 model of the 58 that you would only find in the 850 model here. I know this has probably been done to death on other sizes in this forum, but i would wonder what the actual differences are here. Also if this tv carries a price tag of about 2800 - 3000 pounds, i wonder what that would mean for Oz. Based on the exchange rates (0.44) this equates to about 6400 AU dollars - which isnt as bad as i had initially feared based on RRP.

I know its not a simple matter of converting the pound to dollar to get an estimate locally, but based on existing tv prices, does anybody know what this would really work out locally.

Don't worry about the UK price, that's irrelevant to market forces here. Why don't you compare the price of the TH-50PZ700A and TH-58PZ700A, then apply the same factor of difference to the TH-50PZ850A (available now) to come up with an estimate for the TH-58PZ850A ? By my calculations, using current prices on Digital Centre's website, that would mean the new 58" could eventually reach $6,249. Theoretically of course, however only time will tell.

Don't worry about the UK price, that's irrelevant to market forces here. Why don't you compare the price of the TH-50PZ700A and TH-58PZ700A, then apply the same factor of difference to the TH-50PZ850A (available now) to come up with an estimate for the TH-58PZ850A ? By my calculations, using current prices on Digital Centre's website, that would mean the new 58" could eventually reach $6,249. Theoretically of course, however only time will tell.

That's probably a more effective calculation eddicat. Thanks for that.

The good news is that the TH-58PZ850A is now back up, here

Bad news is the RRP of $8999..... $1300 more than the RRP of the old TH-58PZ700A at $7699

You can get the old TH-58PZ700A for $5399 according to http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com/

So that is about 30% off the RRP for the outgoing one.

Even if you could get 30% off the new one (in the short term is unlikely ) it is still about $6300.

Now when you look at the other big plasmas on the wiki....

A Samsung PS58P91FDX is going for $4890

A LG 60PY3DF is going for $4400

that is a whole lot less than $6300 and miles from $8999. Slightly inferior TVs perhaps, but the same size or 2 inches bigger.

Yea i think the 50" will have to do me. do manufacturing costs really get higher once you get above the 50"-52" mark. when you look at the price difference between 42" and 50", its no where near the 50"-58" price gap. anyone clear this up for me? ;)

Yea i think the 50" will have to do me. do manufacturing costs really get higher once you get above the 50"-52" mark. when you look at the price difference between 42" and 50", its no where near the 50"-58" price gap. anyone clear this up for me? ;)

I believe it's got to to with forecast volume of sales. They will sell nowhere near the amount of 58" as they will 50" (even if they drop the price) so they need to make a bigger margin. People on this forum and enthusiasts will say, "I will buy the 58" over the 50" if price difference is less between the two", which may be true, however it will still not help them sell enough volume as the majority of buyers are mums and dads with tight budgets and small living rooms.

It's harder to manufacture bigger screen without flaws and so there are many more reject panels but probably the major reason for price difference is the market ability to pay. Some people will pay a lot more for the biggest screen even though the difference in screen size is marginal.

It's harder to manufacture bigger screen without flaws and so there are many more reject panels but probably the major reason for price difference is the market ability to pay. Some people will pay a lot more for the biggest screen even though the difference in screen size is marginal.

I might drop into JB and HN over the weekend to see if they can give me a price. I'd anticipate in the high 7's without any haggling. Let see how we go.

On the cost side, I agree with you. $7k is over the top.

When you consider that a Pioneer PDP-LX608A can be had for around $8.2K then $7k for the 58" Pana is fairyland.They won't sell bugger all at that price and they know it.Under $6k and if the sales peep won't come down to that tell em it's there's for life :P