"bestest" Universal Remote

I know that there has been several posts / suggestions on Universal Remote Controls....

My wife threw a fit the other day....seeing the number of Remote Controls that are lying around in the lounge (I call it Entertainment/Bar) room....

I have one for the Plasma, one for the Oppo, one for the Pio Blu Ray, one for my Marantz CD Player and one for my DVR 810...and one for my AVR Yamaha !!

Just got rid of my old Sony DVD Player ..so that is one Remote less... ;)

Any (updated) suggestions ?

Cheers

KW

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that there has been several posts / suggestions on Universal Remote Controls....

My wife threw a fit the other day....seeing the number of Remote Controls that are lying around in the lounge (I call it Entertainment/Bar) room....

I have one for the Plasma, one for the Oppo, one for the Pio Blu Ray, one for my Marantz CD Player and one for my DVR 810...and one for my AVR Yamaha !!

Just got rid of my old Sony DVD Player ..so that is one Remote less... ;)

Cheers

KW

Logitech Harmony - whichever of the models you can afford/ prefer the look of. They all have the same basic functionality just different layout and lcd screens depending on model. My Harmony 880 was one of the best A/V purchases I ever made. Search for harmony - plenty of previous discussion.

Logitech Harmony - whichever of the models you can afford/ prefer the look of. They all have the same basic functionality just different layout and lcd screens depending on model. My Harmony 880 was one of the best A/V purchases I ever made. Search for harmony - plenty of previous discussion.

This is where I'd cast my vote.

But get one of the better ones, the 520 and 525 are a bit flimsy for my liking.

My 880 (2) is/are going strong.

Cheers

KW

I'm in he same boat with...

1. Onkyo 875 avr

2. PS3 (blutooth)

3. Panasonic Plasma 50PX700A

4. Beyonwiz P1

I've heard some good things about the Logitech Harmonys, but not sure if they have the Beyonwiz codes pre-loaded?

Hands down it is the Harmony One.

With a little customisation I have it working with all my A/V gear as well as having station logos on the touchscreen.

As far as the WAF - she feels it is the ONLY useful purchase I have ever made...and we have been together for 18 years!! :o

I'd agree ... almost! My Toppy would be my best A/V purchase since TV was invented. However, the second smartest A/V buy I made would be a 'cheap and flimsy' Harmony 525. They might be 'cheap and flimsy' as djOS said, but ours gets no kid glove treatment, it's tossed between chair and couch, gets sat on occasionally, yet it's kept working without a crack or a fault for about 2 years controlling about 5 items. The AAA batteries last about 2 - 3 months of pretty heavy use. And it should be an easy setup for most equipment (and people). Can't say the same for my once expensive and very robust MX-500 now relegated to the desk drawer with all the other remotes.

Check out Harmony prices/availability at Dick Smith since they offer a 'no questions asked' refund it you change your mind inside two weeks.

I'm in he same boat with...

1. Onkyo 875 avr

2. PS3 (blutooth)

3. Panasonic Plasma 50PX700A

4. Beyonwiz P1

I've heard some good things about the Logitech Harmonys, but not sure if they have the Beyonwiz codes pre-loaded?

My harmony 525 (or any good universal remote) is probably the single best HT purchase i have made. Quality isn't great but for $77 (DSE) it is a very powerful tool that pulls the whole HT together and makes it easy for anybody to use.

BTW, I also have a Pana plasma and BW P1 and the Harmony works fine with them both. Worst case, you can learn commands from the original remote.

The PS3 is not compatible unles you buy a USB Infrared unit (neither is the Wii). I saw a cheap USB IR remote in GAME a couple of days ago for $20. Should be able to use it with the harmony.

I actually use the Harmony for my HD Camcorder, my heater, PS2, DVD, AVR, and Laptop. It's very functional.

Thats easy anything by URC: http://universalremote.com/pro/products.php

Logitech Harmony = cheap and flimsy!

PS. I currently use the MX-810 and have owned the MM-850 and 500 models in the past + have owned 2 Harmony's (still have 1).

I'd have to agree, in fact there are quite a few quality brand universal/learning remotes around but I don't think the Logitech unitsare quality or the "bestest" remotes out there by any means. The Logitech stuff is all pretty cheap and some models can be problem-matic but they are functional and offer alot for your money. I've had several Logitech remotes and in the end I went back to an old Marantz RC2200.

I'd have to agree, in fact there are quite a few quality brand universal/learning remotes around but I don't think the Logitech unitsare quality or the "bestest" remotes out there by any means. The Logitech stuff is all pretty cheap and some models can be problem-matic but they are functional and offer alot for your money. I've had several Logitech remotes and in the end I went back to an old Marantz RC2200.

Agreed, I hate the logitech software as there is no true advanced mode and the software assumes everyone is stupid + requires a net connection to work! I've had a 785 and still have a 360 (for the games room) and they are soo cheaply made, the 785 rrp was $399 when I bought it!!!

My MX-810 is a superb remote and the RF functionality is brilliant. I would upgrade to the MX-980 if the MOF would let me and move the MX-810 to the games room in place of the 360.

I have the MX-980 which is awesome providing you have to the time to learn how to program it, which can be very confusing for beginners. I used to have the Harmony 1000i, prior to that the 880, I think the 880 worked better than the 1000i. I wouldnt go back to using a a full touchscreen remote.

I have the MX-980 which is awesome providing you have to the time to learn how to program it, which can be very confusing for beginners. I used to have the Harmony 1000i, prior to that the 880, I think the 880 worked better than the 1000i. I wouldnt go back to using a a full touchscreen remote.

Yes but once you figured it out (not that hard imo) the power & flexibility is amazing and custom macros can be put anywhere you like and even nested!

The MX-810 uses a similar wizard style system to the Harmony's but doesn't assume the user is stupid plus you can easily create advanced custom macros for buttons within activity screens.

Agreed, I hate the logitech software as there is no true advanced mode and the software assumes everyone is stupid + requires a net connection to work! I've had a 785 and still have a 360 (for the games room) and they are soo cheaply made, the 785 rrp was $399 when I bought it!!!

My MX-810 is a superb remote and the RF functionality is brilliant. I would upgrade to the MX-980 if the MOF would let me and move the MX-810 to the games room in place of the 360.

djOS, Universal makes superb remote control units. I have been a happy owner of the MX850-Aero for the last four years. Time to get a new remote do you know any good supplier for MX810 or Mx980 ?

Edited by jliang70

djOS, Universal makes superb remote control units. I have been a happy owner of the MX850-Aero for the last four years. Time to get a new remote do you know any good supplier for MX810 or Mx980 ?

I get my URC gear from an eBay seller called dougtheaterman; the only issue is that he doesn't accept paypal for non US customers any more and using Western Union transfers costs about $40AUD - still works out much cheaper than other avenues and he supplies the Pro software with built in software/FW/IR code DB updater.

Btw, go with the MX-980 if you have a complex HT, the 810 is fine for simple setups - the 980 uses an updated version of the 850 editor (which I prefer).

Edited by djOS

I just discovered that B&H Photo (who will ship to Aus) carry some of the URC Product range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/4371/Un...%3A+A+to+Z/pn/2

If anyone needs PRO software for the below URC products, pm me:

MX-700, MX-800, MX-810, MX-850, MX-900, MX-950, MX-980, TX-1000

and I have the programming manuals for the:

MX-850 & MX-950 / MX-900 / TX-1000

Edited by djOS

I get my URC gear from an eBay seller called dougtheaterman; the only issue is that he doesn't accept paypal for non US customers any more and using Western Union transfers costs about $40AUD - still works out much cheaper than other avenues and he supplies the Pro software with built in software/FW/IR code DB updater.

Btw, go with the MX-980 if you have a complex HT, the 810 is fine for simple setups - the 980 uses an updated version of the 850 editor (which I prefer).

Thanks djOS. I bought my mx850 from Doug so probably have to buy the new remote from him again.

I recently purchased the MX-900 along with the MRF-350 base station. Couldn't be happier. I greatly prefer it over my previous plasticky Harmony 880 and its crappy recharging cradle. Boy did that thing give me the irits.

The MX-900 has been a dream with all the convenience of well implemented RF functionality as well as the dual command capability of each button ("press and hold" macros). I also really like the programming software. A very powerful and handsome remote indeed. :)

http://www.prillaman.net/mx900_review.html

Edited by Felix.

I recently purchased the MX-900 along with the MRF-350 base station. Couldn't be happier. I greatly prefer it over my previous plasticky Harmony 880 and its crappy recharging cradle. Boy did that thing give me the irits.

The MX-900 has been a dream with all the convenience of well implemented RF functionality as well as the dual command capability of each button ("press and hold" macros). I also really like the programming software. A very powerful and handsome remote indeed. :)

http://www.prillaman.net/mx900_review.html

That is a first rate review Felix! very informative! B)

Btw, there is now an MX-880 which appears to be the MX-810 but with the "MX Editor" we know and luv. (luckily I've figured out the tricks with the Universal Browser)

Edited by djOS

I just discovered that B&H Photo (who will ship to Aus) carry some of the URC Product range.

Definitely on the pricey side though mate. B&H want USD449 for the MX-900 where as Doug charged me just USD199 as a "buy now" price on eBay. That's less than half the price! :o

Definitely on the pricey side though mate. B&H want USD449 for the MX-900 where as Doug charged me just USD199 as a "buy now" price on eBay. That's less than half the price! :o

yeah, some folk dont like eBay tho so that was for them - I still buy my URC gear from Doug. :)

Edited by djOS

yeah, some folk dont like eBay tho so that was for them - I still buy my URC gear from Doug. :)

It's bit of a shame that URC have a non existent profile in Oz otherwise I think their remotes would be more popular on these forums. It's only that I was kind of dissatisfied with what was available locally, for the money, that I went in search of what overseas remotes had to offer. Obviously very glad that I did now.