Philips Pulling Out Of Australian Market

Guest cliveb

Just heard a whisper that as of 5pm today Philips will announce that it is no longer going to be selling their range of LCD tv`s in Australia.

This is all i`ve heard, no explanation given im sure time will tell.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was talk of this when i brought my philips about 4 months ago it is a pity if they do but when it comes to world market figures australia is not viable

jamie

FWIW. I've had Philips TV's screens for ever, and they always perform. Work as advertised. It'll be a pity to lose them to the world of shoddy bottom liners.

Philips are GOOOONE! (footy show reference)

Yeah confirmed through my channels at work today (Good Guys) they are puuling out of the "Browngoods" range of products in Australia

I also know that harveys and domayne have bought up all the last of the stock quick smart. SO for your cheapo philips deal, check out your local HN or Domayne.

Shame really. But not suprising, considering they made stupid deals (e.g - exclusivity to select retailers for a set period resulting in sluggish sales) and for the bulk of there time on the market the expensive and unfancied cousin of Samsung, LG, and Sony despite being sometimes better Tv's

Honestly thought NEC woulda gone first.

Edited by Underd0g

I don't think it's a good idea to buy a Philips at this stage, even if the prices are bit lower. The support will be poor, now that they've decided to exit the Aussie market. And why are we feeling bad for a TV with a LG panel anyway ?

Whos next ... sharp , toshiba , pioneer....all tiny 1% players in the market.

I cant imagine anything worse than choosing between Sony Samsung Lg and Panasonic.

It will be the bland leading the bland.

I'm a philips fan , at least it offered something different. Had motion control 3 years before everyone else , had ambiant lighting...ask anyone with it and they think its fantastic.

Its a sad day if the products are not picked up by someone else.

Now if I can only get my hands on an Aurea.

I cant imagine anything worse than choosing between Sony Samsung Lg and Panasonic.

And still we cry over losing a TV with the LG panel ......

To quote the men of the moment Barack Obama and John McCain - "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig !!!"

Philips are GOOOONE! (footy show reference)

Yeah confirmed through my channels at work today (Good Guys) they are puuling out of the "Browngoods" range of products in Australia

I also know that harveys and domayne have bought up all the last of the stock quick smart. SO for your cheapo philips deal, check out your local HN or Domayne.

Shame really. But not suprising, considering they made stupid deals (e.g - exclusivity to select retailers for a set period resulting in sluggish sales) and for the bulk of there time on the market the expensive and unfancied cousin of Samsung, LG, and Sony despite being sometimes better Tv's

Honestly thought NEC woulda gone first.

nah. NEC are still quite strong as a commercial product and they offer excellent support. A lot of NEC flat panels still going into boardrooms, digital signage, etc. They're virtually non-existent in the consumer market here however.

This a shame, I think there were rumors of this a few years ago but nothing ever happened. I was considering the Phillips as a new purchase, despite the LG panel they look a lot nicer than most of the competition and I was hoping for a new ambilight model. Unless I come across a ridiculously cheap price, like a phillips 46" full HD set for $1500 (unlikely) I think I'll be looking elsewhere now.

lol not the 9703 panel kulfi. made in belgium.

and whats wrong with an LG panel? thats the same as saying hey you know what ill buy a sony tv and its a samsung panel or a pioneer and it comes out of an old NEC factory. or buy a toshiba using mostly sharp panels.

It will be sad to see them go to lack of variety. now we are left with increasingly a less competitive market which can only hurt consumers silly.

and whats wrong with an LG panel? thats the same as saying hey you know what ill buy a sony tv and its a samsung panel or a pioneer and it comes out of an old NEC factory. or buy a toshiba using mostly sharp panels.

ugoagogo said that the LG/Samsung etc would the bland leading the bland. That's when I wanted to say that LG-Philips share panels so there was no need to complain so much about LG surviving and Philips dying.

I appreciate competition and would have preferred Philips to stay but with their ridiculous pricing model and stupid marketing policies, they were asking to be eliminated.

A brand cannot survive by signing exclusive deals with retailers - it shuts down the possibility of getting a good price and makes consumers buy something else that's cheaper.

EDIT : The ONLY good marketing move by Philips was giving away a free 32" LCD with their 47" LCD earlier this year. And even that wasn't advertised properly ....

Edited by kulfi

ugoagogo said that the LG/Samsung etc would the bland leading the bland. That's when I wanted to say that LG-Philips share panels so there was no need to complain so much about LG surviving and Philips dying.

I appreciate competition and would have preferred Philips to stay but with their ridiculous pricing model and stupid marketing policies, they were asking to be eliminated.

A brand cannot survive by signing exclusive deals with retailers - it shuts down the possibility of getting a good price and makes consumers buy something else that's cheaper.

EDIT : The ONLY good marketing move by Philips was giving away a free 32" LCD with their 47" LCD earlier this year. And even that wasn't advertised properly ....

You cant compare a philips and an lg tv in the middle to high end even if they do have the same panels.

Panels are shared to drop the price of production which makes sense for evey manufacturer. Its whats around the panels that count. Samsung and Soniq share panels , please dont tell me there equally as good.

Philips never had to market themselves to get the market share they needed. The big four Pana , Lg , Samsung and Sony have big marketing budgets and are BOUGHT by consumers where as philips , toshiba , sharp etc are SOLD by sales people.

I dont care for exclusivity but Harvey Norman is huge and Philips is relatively small. If they want the odd month exclusive in return for a s**t load of business then I can see why they do it. Why has sony dropped the price to clear the current range of tvs in preparation for new models , because Harvey Norman has bucket loads of them and they demanded it.

I would say what has finally pushed them over the edge is that all the tvs are now made in europe instead of china and it has probably added to transport costs.

Philips as a "Middle-to-High-End" brand and Sony/Samsung/LG etc being lower than that is hard to believe. They're all in the same boat, along with Sharp, Hitachi and Toshiba.

Philips should have marketed itself but did not. The result - not many buyers and out they go ! You'll see no-names like Kogan marketing themselves and thriving. If Philips had bothered to get themselves off their high horse and advertised their goods, they would have been here.

If you want to make up a story like "Soniq and Samsung are SHARING panels", then "Philips SHARES its panel with AWA, Kogan, Soniq and Millennius". These no-name brands use leftover assembly lines and previous generation panels from the big names without the electronics. It cannot be compared to an item that rolls off similar assembly lines like Sony/Samsung or Philips/LG.

Harvey Norman is huge but if they have a monopoly on a particular TV, there is no price advantage or room to bargain so consumers WILL buy something else, and not even from HN.

Sony has NOT cut prices on anything because HN demanded it. Slashing prices on outgoing stock is a normal practice followed in every industry, be it TV or automobiles, whitegoods or watches.

Please come back to planet Earth because your claims are way off.

This is really interesting because last week I was going through the dilemma of choosing between the Philips 47PFL9703D or the Toshiba 46XV500A.

I was in Bing Lee and ready to buy, I asked about the Philips, the sales guy looked in his computer and told me that I would be waiting a long time. I was quoted $3250 from HN but I wanted to buy from Bing Lee because I was able to put that on interest free. The guy at Bing Lee gave me a price of just abit higher than the HN price.

Now I think because Philips made that deal with HN, they had lost out on my business. I m assuming if they didn't make some deal like this, Bing Lee would have stock and therefore I would have a Philips sitting downstairs right now. But because of that HN exclusive thing. No other retailers got stock, and now Philips realised how much money they lost, they pulled out. Not supplying anyone else with stock, but left HN with a warehouse full of their 9703 range.

So I guess Philips had helped me decide on where my hard earned cash goes.

It's (46XV500A) my first LCD TV and I m very happy with it :)

P.S. I work at Optus, and every single LCD TV and projector in the place is a NEC.

Edited by rnd_tang

OK, got back from work today got a bit more info.

Here's what you guys need to know.

# Philips AV and browngoods Staff are finishing up by 31.12.08.

# Price point will be moved to get the TV's pushed out, so expect not only discounts from retailers, but movement in Philips' Price point. THAT will be interesting. Remember folks, Philips are still good Tv's, its just not profitable for them in this market.

# some support staff are being kept on, of course because of honouring of warranty commitments. and yes, I know they use service agents but they need liason staff for parts, etc...

# Stock will be pretty much bought up by retailers by end october at LATEST. So if you want a genuine bargain, BUY ONE NOW/ASAP. Don't wait till november to compare them to the new sonys as there will be none left.

Interesting. Very interesting.

I dont care for exclusivity but Harvey Norman is huge and Philips is relatively small. If they want the odd month exclusive in return for a s**t load of business then I can see why they do it. Why has sony dropped the price to clear the current range of tvs in preparation for new models , because Harvey Norman has bucket loads of them and they demanded it.

Sh.itload of business? HA!

Sh.itload of nothing more like.

Harveys didn't sell them since the prices were stupid, (not to mention my local HN has the most retarded browngoods salespeople ever) so they got no re-orders. Imagine any business getting ZERO orders for 4-6 weeks, let alone a business deling in cut-throat margins and competition, and no wonder they fell from grace.

Harveys didn't sell them since the prices were stupid, (not to mention my local HN has the most retarded browngoods salespeople ever) so they got no re-orders. Imagine any business getting ZERO orders for 4-6 weeks, let alone a business deling in cut-throat margins and competition, and no wonder they fell from grace.

We're talking about s**t-loads of s**t when discussing Philips' marketing policy.

As for HN's browngoods staff, they should be called the brown-nosed team. I've personally seen HN refusing to move an inch on price when customers had the cash in their pockets. Their policy was "If I can sell it for my price, why the hell should I reduce the price for you ?". Obviously, most people took their business elsewhere.

rnd_tang,

Getting a Toshiba worked out well for you. If Philips couldn't be bothered to supply TVs to shops, do you think they'll be bothered to supply parts to fix people's TVs ? Plus you got a 5-year factory warranty, so it's all good.

Are you saying the Philips prices were stupid.

Harveys of course only had the 9 series exclusively and that was the premium product.

$3000 approx for 42" and $4000 for 47"

whats stupid about that. What are you comparing it to. Not the x series I hope.

None of the other brands have there version of the 9 series even available for sale in Australia.

Sure come december / january that will be a different story.

Sony new models for xbr and x are coming nov /dec respectively and god know when the series 7 and 8 for samsung will hit shelves here. All of those models are in australia now for a bit of show n tell with store owners.

Philips as a "Middle-to-High-End" brand and Sony/Samsung/LG etc being lower than that is hard to believe. They're all in the same boat, along with Sharp, Hitachi and Toshiba.

I probably wasnt clear , I was saying that the middle to high end of the philips range , ie the $2500 to $3000 42"

If you want to make up a story like "Soniq and Samsung are SHARING panels", then "Philips SHARES its panel with AWA, Kogan, Soniq and Millennius". These no-name brands use leftover assembly lines and previous generation panels from the big names without the electronics. It cannot be compared to an item that rolls off similar assembly lines like Sony/Samsung or Philips/LG.

The panels probably make less of a difference to the picture than the technology that goes around it. I've seen conia $999 plasmas that look pretty good but its the colours and the speakers that seperate them.

Harvey Norman is huge but if they have a monopoly on a particular TV, there is no price advantage or room to bargain so consumers WILL buy something else, and not even from HN.

Consumers will buy what they want , if Harveys have a great tv exclusively and thats what you want you wont buy a lesser one just to spite them.

Sony has NOT cut prices on anything because HN demanded it. Slashing prices on outgoing stock is a normal practice followed in every industry, be it TV or automobiles, whitegoods or watches.

Sony dont have any x series in stock and new model not till december why drop price now? Because people have lots of stock left over to move. Who has too much stock? Harveys