PS3 audio outputs?

Hi guys,

Now I finally have a Full HD LCD. Looking at a PS3 for gaming and playing Blu-Rays.

Does the PS3 have component out so I can connect this to my Pioneer lifestyle system? and then run HDMI for picture to the LCD?

AFAIK the PS3 supports HDMI or composite video (not Component video) output.

Cheers,

Alan R.

The PS3 has HDMI and optical out. If your lifestyle system doesn't have a HDMI in, use optical in for audio and send the video direct to the LCD via HDMI. There is an option on the PS3 menu that you will need to set to achieve this.

Dont think my Pioneer lifestyle system has optical will check tonight?

Can I use the HDMI out for Video to the LCD and then composite out to the life style system for audio at the same time ?

Edited by sliksilvia

You will have to check the settings in the ps3 but since it is possible to plug both leads in at one time (ie they don't share the same connection) you are in with a chance. I run hdmi for picture and optical for sound as telecine mentioned above.

If this doesn't work you may be able to send sound to the tv using hdmi then composite out of the tv back into your av receiver.

However note both options will result in 2 channels only (not getting the most out of bluray or your games). Option 1 will rely on the dac in the ps3 and option 2 the dac in your tv

You will have to check the settings in the ps3 but since it is possible to plug both leads in at one time (ie they don't share the same connection) you are in with a chance. I run hdmi for picture and optical for sound as telecine mentioned above.

If this doesn't work you may be able to send sound to the tv using hdmi then composite out of the tv back into your av receiver.

However note both options will result in 2 channels only (not getting the most out of bluray or your games). Option 1 will rely on the dac in the ps3 and option 2 the dac in your tv

I just noted your last sentence..

So now I ask... Is there anyway of getting 5.1 from using PS3 as a Blu Ray player ?

I just noted your last sentence..

So now I ask... Is there anyway of getting 5.1 from using PS3 as a Blu Ray player ?

yes. there is 2 ways, both of which I fear you can't utilise without dropping coin on a new receiver.

1. hdmi into a new receiver will give you the latest dolby HD codecs.

2. optical into a newish receiver will give you the previous dolby codecs (this is the method I use and I am more than happy with it, certainly won't be rushing out to get a new receiver.)

does the receiver do digital coax in? if so you do not need a new receiver, just use a toslink to coax converter.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AC1601&keywords=optical+to+coax&form=KEYWORD

can you provide us with a model number of your Pioneer system or web link? Would help heaps.

Edited by the.decline

AFAIK the PS3 supports HDMI or composite video (not Component video) output.

Cheers,

Alan R.

The PS3 does indeed support component out (and s-video too). All HD resolutions are available through component. The only trouble is the official Sony component cable is discontinued, however there's plenty of third party cables available. I bought a Madcatz from Big W for $20.

The PS3 does indeed support component out (and s-video too). All HD resolutions are available through component. The only trouble is the official Sony component cable is discontinued, however there's plenty of third party cables available. I bought a Madcatz from Big W for $20.

Yes, you are indeed correct young Asteroid. I was just going by what is supplied with the PS3 in the box.

Cheers,

Alan R.