Sign in to follow this  
cunderwood

Homecast Ht8000 Or Topfieldtf7000 ?

Hi. Need to buy a pvr for between $500 and $600. Tossing up between the Homecast HT8000 or the Topfield TF7000. I dont need fancy bells and whistles, just good quality, basic pvr functions. Would love the beyonwiz DP-P1, but cant justify going the extra dollars. Cheers.

Hi. Need to buy a pvr for between $500 and $600. Tossing up between the Homecast HT8000 or the Topfield TF7000. I dont need fancy bells and whistles, just good quality, basic pvr functions. Would love the beyonwiz DP-P1, but cant justify going the extra dollars. Cheers.

I have a Homecast HT8000, and having a lot of fun with it. With the latest update, I'm able to download the files, and convert them to mpg. The OS here is Linux, so you will probably want to find your own programs to do the same. This is the fourth pvr here, and certainly the best. It's easy to use the epg, and the 320G is filling up. It means I can watch what I want when I want. I'll have to curb my appetite to make more space. The only problem has been the fan which eventually seized. Hopefully they've corrected that problem.

May you make the best choice.

Hi

I would go for the Topfield 7100 over the 7000, a little bit more money, $600-700, and a lot less trouble. If you do decide on a 7000 the last 6 i 'watched' on Ebay went for $340-380 which realistically,taking in the price of the 7100 into account, is a fair price.

Before giving up on a Beyonwiz, I'd suggest checking out these BW P1 auctions on ebay: 350097164647 & 250292840316. I suspect both will go well within your budget.

Is the 200gb Beyonwiz still worth going for in comparison to the Homecast or Topfield?

If you want divx/xvid/mkv playback then yes. Otherwise.... hmmm ... maybe.

You would be much better off with a Homecast or Topfield combined with one of the following Network Media Tanks if you want media centre playback capability of the latest and greatest file formats plus much more

The Beyonwiz is not the best media centre and seems to be very picky with the formats it can and can't play.

http://www.mediaplayersandmore.com.au/egre...m31b-p-238.html

or

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/ind...mp;category_id=

or

http://www.mediaplayersandmore.com.au/hdx1...tank-p-249.html

Edited by Vortical

i have had the topfield 7000 for about 2 months and it is a great machine no problems would recommend

I thought the Homecast also plays divx/xvid files doesnt it?

Not yet....

The 1.04.3 firmware has fixed all but a couple of bugs (that primarily affect 4:3 TV's - so if you have a 16:9 TV, no worries).

We will see the first of the new/cool features which MAY include media streaming/ICE support etc. by Feb/March at the earliest, being realistic. If this changes, I'll let you know.

Hi,

I was reading the manual and saw this:

You can view the Reservation window (via the EPG window) while the

HT8000 is recording, but cannot edit or create reservations.

Can you add/edit Reservtions while recording, via the Menu?

dRdoS7.

Edited by dRdoS7

as a previous toppy 7000 owner i'd say go the tivo, so much better on so many levels...leaves the toppy for dead...

Hi,

I was reading the manual and saw this:

Can you add/edit Reservtions while recording, via the Menu?

dRdoS7.

Not yet.

This functionality was in a VERY early version of the firmware (pre-release beta), but was removed due to instabilities it caused.

All subsequent firmware versions have enhanced functionality/stability - culminating in the solid current FW version (1.04.3).

The facility to set reservations while recording will be reinstated in the next FW version - which should be here over the next month or so.

I notice the homecast HT8000 PVR is ticketed at JB for $499. I'm tempted to buy one at that price but can't find a store willing to return it if it's too glitchy :(

I was considering TiVO as well but when you factor in the cost of upgrading the hard drive, the possibility that something goes wrong in the process, and that it voids your warranty it's just not worth it to me.

I notice the homecast HT8000 PVR is ticketed at JB for $499. I'm tempted to buy one at that price but can't find a store willing to return it if it's too glitchy :(

I was considering TiVO as well but when you factor in the cost of upgrading the hard drive, the possibility that something goes wrong in the process, and that it voids your warranty it's just not worth it to me.

The HC isn't glitchy with the 1.04.3 firmware.

Picture quality is great - and it is one of a handful of PVR's that actually deinterlaces SD properly.

Channel change, startup/shutdown are faster than any other similar device.

At the moment, I'd say it's a solid, basic 2.0 PVR....with networking functionality.

Having said that....

There are a couple of quirks with 4:3 TVs, the no reservation while recording thing and a couple of known bugs that can cause a recording to be missed (the latter can be avoided easily if you're aware of the circumstances required to cause the problem).

These issues should be rectified in a firmware version expected at the end of January...and HC have delivered over half a dozen FW updates since the device was released - so they are very active on a development level.

Picture quality is great - and it is one of a handful of PVR's that actually deinterlaces SD properly.

Channel change, startup/shutdown are faster than any other similar device.

At the moment, I'd say it's a solid, basic 2.0 PVR....with networking functionality.

Having said that....

There are a couple of quirks with 4:3 TVs, the no reservation while recording thing and a couple of known bugs that can cause a recording to be missed (the latter can be avoided easily if you're aware of the circumstances required to cause the problem).

These issues should be rectified in a firmware version expected at the end of January...and HC have delivered over half a dozen FW updates since the device was released - so they are very active on a development level.

$499 is very tempting, may pop in tomorrow and get one. Could you (or someone) please answer some q's.

1. How long is the time shift buffer and can you record it?

2. Is the fan staying on in standby problem sorted now?

3. I know the editing feaures are basic but is it ok to just top and tail recordings?

4. What files can it play, mp3, divx, dvd rips?

TIA :)

Can you confirm that you don't get jaggies/combing like this when upscaling SD channels to 1080i? (apparently upscaling 576i to 1080i requires de-interlacing, so a good deinterlacer seems to be a must on a HD PVR/STB)

Also can I ask what type of TV you are viewing it on and which video mode you have the Homecast set to?

Thanks!

$499 is very tempting, may pop in tomorrow and get one. Could you (or someone) please answer some q's.

1. How long is the time shift buffer and can you record it?

2. Is the fan staying on in standby problem sorted now?

3. I know the editing feaures are basic but is it ok to just top and tail recordings?

4. What files can it play, mp3, divx, dvd rips?

TIA :)

1. Standard 2 hours, but theoretically up to 10 hours. No, you can't record it....yet (this is on the wishlist).

2. Was never really a problem....except in a handful of units that shipped with faulty fans that were noisy. Units currently available for sale don't have this bad batch of fans.

3. I'd never do it in the unit itself as it's too slow. The USB transfer to a PC is exceptionally fast...so I find this the better option (or via FTP overnight). Having said this, yes, you can top/tail recordings in the unit.

4. Just MPEG transport streams, MP3 and photos - at the moment. I'm confident that it will play some or all of AVI/DIVX/XVID/MKV at some point over the next few months. Technically, it's capable of more (such as MP4/ALC/WMA etc.), but licensing is the primary issue - as it is for all manufacturers.

Edited by oscwilde

Can you confirm that you don't get jaggies/combing like this when upscaling SD channels to 1080i? (apparently upscaling 576i to 1080i requires de-interlacing, so a good deinterlacer seems to be a must on a HD PVR/STB)

Also can I ask what type of TV you are viewing it on and which video mode you have the Homecast set to?

Thanks!

Confirming it is difficult as it comes down to the vision of the watcher and the scaling/processing of the TV as well....so the occasional moire or other artifact is inevitable....but I see few jaggies.

I use a Pana plasma (1024 x 768)...with the HC set to 1080i.

I found that 720p was a little "soft" for my eyes - as I like a particularly sharp image.

There are a number of reviews that comment on the Homecast's ability to deinterlace SD properly, so you can search for these online, or pop down to a store and see if it works for your eyes ;)

1. Standard 2 hours, but theoretically up to 10 hours. No, you can't record it....yet (this is on the wishlist).

2. Was never really a problem....except in a handful of units that shipped with faulty fans that were noisy. Units currently available for sale don't have this bad batch of fans.

3. I'd never do it in the unit itself as it's too slow. The USB transfer to a PC is exceptionally fast...so I find this the better option (or via FTP overnight). Having said this, yes, you can top/tail recordings in the unit.

4. Just MPEG transport streams, MP3 and photos - at the moment. I'm confident that it will play some or all of AVI/DIVX/XVID/MKV at some point over the next few months. Technically, it's capable of more (such as MP4/ALC/WMA etc.), but licensing is the primary issue - as it is for all manufacturers.

Thanks for that, some food for thought.

Mate just bought one,where did you get this update oscwilde?

Edited by wheelz

Well I tried to get a Homecast 8000 from JB but all of their stores are sold out and won't be getting any for 2 weeks, looks like I will have to wait a bit longer (unless topfield drops their price).

In the meantime here is a review of the Homecast by Stephen Dawson:

http://www.avhub.com.au/ProductReview.aspx...uctReviewID=272

Of particular interest he says the SD upscaling quality is excellent, and that is enough to convince me to buy one :)

Whereabouts are you located pneu.

There's a few units floating around in Sydney that I saw on the w/end