Panasonic Bd35 And Bd55

Hi, just a few questions. Can you upgrade the firmware if you have your BD35 modded? And is it only the BD35 that can be modded - or can the BD55 and the future BD60 be modded also?

I'm currently using the PS3, and wanting region free :D

The BD-30, 35, 50 and 55 can be modded. Am pretty sure the 60 will be in the same boat when it comes out. And Yes, so far all modded machines can be firmware upgraded without it effecting the mod :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a modded Region Free BD-35 (via ebay), and all i can say is WOW!!!!

It easily trumps the PS3 as a blu-ray player and is connected to my 52' Bravia.

There is definatley a big step up in image quality: Sharper, much smoother pans, and no added noise to film grain (man the PS3 adds some nasty noise) which is something I wasn't expecting. Finally, I feel the image (esp Man on Fire) looks like 'film', and not digital.

Soundwise, it's a HUGE IMPROVEMENT as I'm bitstreaming to my problamatic Sony 5300es Amp (which has had a nasty hiss problem when sending PCM) which is now fixed due to bitstreaming. Dolby TrueHD now sounds alot brighter as stated before in these forums, and now the amp does all the decoding and I finally see the DTS-HD MASTER and DOLBY TrueHD lights show up on my AMP, awesome!!!!

The only cons are that I miss is the PS3's loading time, but i knew this would be the sacrifice, and I also found that the reds are swinging a little more to orange than the PS3 (but i trust the BD-35 is more acurate than the PS3).

Overall, am very impressed with this machine and recommend it to anyone who wants to get the best out of their Blu's.

I have found the same sound and picture improvements when upgrading from PS3 to BD35. (I am running through a TW2000).

I have read every page of this thread & It seems that the BD35 comes as DVD regionless out of the box ? is that correct ?

Also when it says the player does not do Dolbby 7.1 it means it doesnt have direct outputs for it but it can still output 7.1 to an AMP Via HDMI ?

Any Idea if the BD60 will also come DVD regionless out of the box ?

I just wanted total clarity as I am considering purchasing a BD35 for home cinema use but I have loads of Region 1 DVD's I will want to be able to play on it.

Edited by The-Crow2k

Also when it says the player does not do Dolbby 7.1 it means it doesnt have direct outputs for it but it can still output 7.1 to an AMP Via HDMI ?

Just checked my BD of The Nightmare Before Christmas, and it definately outputs Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on my AMP via HDMI bitstreamed.

I have read every page of this thread & It seems that the BD35 comes as DVD regionless out of the box ? is that correct ? YES

Also when it says the player does not do Dolbby 7.1 it means it doesnt have direct outputs for it but it can still output 7.1 to an AMP Via HDMI ? Via HDMI YES

Any Idea if the BD60 will also come DVD regionless out of the box ? Couldn't see why not?

I just wanted total clarity as I am considering purchasing a BD35 for home cinema use but I have loads of Region 1 DVD's I will want to be able to play on it. As long as box has a opened and inspected by Panasonic Australia Sticker it will be region free for DVD

Edited by AussieBlu

Great, thanks for the help zallapo & AussieBlu. From everything Ive read the 35 has pretty much the same performance as the 60 in both Bluray & DVD playback plus since its an outgoing model the 35 is cheaper is that a fair comment ?

I use my PS3 now which does a great job compared to some of the dirt cheap players but I dont really want it hooked up to my HD projector.

Edited by The-Crow2k

Soundwise, it's a HUGE IMPROVEMENT as I'm bitstreaming to my problamatic Sony 5300es Amp (which has had a nasty hiss problem when sending PCM) which is now fixed due to bitstreaming. Dolby TrueHD now sounds alot brighter as stated before in these forums, and now the amp does all the decoding and I finally see the DTS-HD MASTER and DOLBY TrueHD lights show up on my AMP, awesome!!!!

And another BD35 owner here - and happy with the picture too, but sound is another matter.

I have a Marantz amp and was surprised to find the DB35 was only optical digital sound out, still no worries I thought and connected it to the optical input of the Marantz with a TOS cable and all is well...but then I read that the bandwidth of the TOS link is not sufficient to carry full a full HD audio signal and that coax is better. Is this true? The amp can cope with 96 bit 7.1 but if the TOS can only handle 48 bit 5.1 then I am losing out on HD audio from BR discs. Or do I have this all wrong?

And another BD35 owner here - and happy with the picture too, but sound is another matter.

I have a Marantz amp and was surprised to find the DB35 was only optical digital sound out, still no worries I thought and connected it to the optical input of the Marantz with a TOS cable and all is well...but then I read that the bandwidth of the TOS link is not sufficient to carry full a full HD audio signal and that coax is better. Is this true? The amp can cope with 96 bit 7.1 but if the TOS can only handle 48 bit 5.1 then I am losing out on HD audio from BR discs. Or do I have this all wrong?

The only way to get the full HD audio signal is via HDMI.....

Either;

- decoded in the player and sent as LPCM, or

- bitstreamed from the player to the AVR (which needs to have HDMI 1.3 and the ability to decode the new formats)

The limitation is your AVR not the BD35.

What model of Marantz do you have?

You got it right. BD35 needs an AVR with HDMI as it can bitstream or decode and send multi-ch LPCM!

Actually, you have it half right.

You're correct that TOS can't handle HD audio, but coax handles exactly the same bandwidth as TOS.

As others have said, to get HD audio from the BD35, you need to connect via HDMI.

I Bought the BD-35 last night and after playing with it today am Very Happy with it.

- Great Picture & Sound (Cant wait to hear 7.1 & see it on my projector once I setup my new HT Room once we take handover of new house in 1-2 weeks)

- Great DVD upscaling

- Great region free DVD playback, I have 2 NTSC DVD's that tend to outfox some regionless players (even my factory chipped Toshiba, go figure...) &/or require you to not use the menus & just select the chapter number on the numeric pad to make the disc play. I threw them both in the BD-35 and no problems at all straight to menus & upscaled beautifully.

Very VERY happy with this unit & noted the improvements in playback over my PS3 straight away.

On that note anyone got any advice on where to source a good quality but not grossly overpriced HDMI cable suitable for HDMI 1.3 ? I need a couple of extras.

Thanks.

I Bought the BD-35 last night and after playing with it today am Very Happy with it.

- Great Picture & Sound (Cant wait to hear 7.1 & see it on my projector once I setup my new HT Room once we take handover of new house in 1-2 weeks)

- Great DVD upscaling

- Great region free DVD playback, I have 2 NTSC DVD's that tend to outfox some regionless players (even my factory chipped Toshiba, go figure...) &/or require you to not use the menus & just select the chapter number on the numeric pad to make the disc play. I threw them both in the BD-35 and no problems at all straight to menus & upscaled beautifully.

Very VERY happy with this unit & noted the improvements in playback over my PS3 straight away.

On that note anyone got any advice on where to source a good quality but not grossly overpriced HDMI cable suitable for HDMI 1.3 ? I need a couple of extras.

Thanks.

Ezhd Hdmi cables available from forum member Foxtail, below link are members experiences

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=67945

Edited by Anden

I've having a problem with audio sync with my BD35. I've got the video out over component and audio sending PCM over HDMI. My receiver is a Marantz 6001 and it has an audio delay function but the problem is the audio is behind the video! So obviously the delay function just makes things worse. I've tried playing around with various settings to no avail. I'm worried that it's just impossible to sync the video and audio when connecting like this. I want the HD audio but my tv doesn't have HDMI inputs (sony 86cm.)

Edit: I've used the calibration tool on my Pride and Prejudice BD to play around with the settings a bit more. It's got a couple of neat sync tests. Telling the amp the speakers are quite a bit further away than they are seems to have largely fixed the problem. Would be easier if the amps audio sync would work in both directions! Has anyone else running component for video and hdmi for audio had the same problem?

Edited by FrogSmokr

I've having a problem with audio sync with my BD35. I've got the video out over component and audio sending PCM over HDMI. My receiver is a Marantz 6001 and it has an audio delay function but the problem is the audio is behind the video! So obviously the delay function just makes things worse. I've tried playing around with various settings to no avail. I'm worried that it's just impossible to sync the video and audio when connecting like this. I want the HD audio but my tv doesn't have HDMI inputs (sony 86cm.)

Edit: I've used the calibration tool on my Pride and Prejudice BD to play around with the settings a bit more. It's got a couple of neat sync tests. Telling the amp the speakers are quite a bit further away than they are seems to have largely fixed the problem. Would be easier if the amps audio sync would work in both directions! Has anyone else running component for video and hdmi for audio had the same problem?

If you use the optical audio cable do you still have synch issues ?

You sound like a pioneer in this area.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. I would think most people running component for Video would be using optical for sound. I run my old 6.1 amp with LCD TV but only use HDMI for video & Optical for sound without any troubles.

I'm not sure you have answered this question.

If you use the optical audio cable do you still have synch issues ?

Apart from the fact that you really wish to use HDMI for the 6.1, or 7.1 or whatever you are aiming for, is there any possibility that you can use optical for your sound, just to eliminate any issues?

Not at all sure what it will achieve, but it may give you another part of the puzzle. Failing that someone else has been down this path.

Haven't tried using optical - I want to use HDMI for the HD sound. My fix seems to be working so I'm not too worried now. And it doesn't seem to be causing any issues for other sources that weren't out of sync. Would be very annoying to have to change the speaker distance every time I watch a different source. Maybe I'm just watching BD more critically than telly. I'll have to have a more detailed examination in the next week or so and see what happens if I use optical. Though I'd hazard a guess that that would solve it. Probably need to compare it to the HD audio and see if I can actually tell the difference!

Watched a few Blu Ray movies over the weekend. Pretty happy with the output, but find that the BD-35 is quite slow loading movies, and doesnt seem to resume play like my old DVD player did. Is this a standard thing with BD Players, or is this unit in particular quite slow?

Watched a few Blu Ray movies over the weekend. Pretty happy with the output, but find that the BD-35 is quite slow loading movies, and doesnt seem to resume play like my old DVD player did. Is this a standard thing with BD Players, or is this unit in particular quite slow?

Welcome to the current generation of Blu-ray players. Apparently the BD35 is already one of the better ones. The PS3 is a bit better.

Rest assured that the BD 35 is a hell of a lot quicker to load than the first and second generation players.Think of it as a computer starting up which is basically what it is.The player will resume on titles with no Java based content btw.Early reviews for the upcoming release of the Oppo BD player seem to indicate it is very fast to load so if it's speed you need it might pay to look at that option.You won't get one for anywhere near the price that the Pana goes for though so if you want the good gear you have to pay for it. B)