Sign in to follow this  
jd71

Xb360 Streaming For Dummies Please!

Hi

I have all my divx movies on my pc, my 360 is connected to the router thats connected to the pc, so can I stream my movies via 360? I am looking for the easiest method to watch my movies that are on my pc from the 360, the pc is on all the time so makes no difference!

thanks

regards

Justin

Don't bother following the above link to start. I found Media Player to just be slow and a pain in the ass.

Just download and use TVersity from here. http://tversity.com

It's easy to set up and your 360 should recognise it straight away. If TVersity doesn't work properly for you then you might want to follow the previous link and try MP11.

All you have to do is share your media from within Media Player on your PC, and then you can just view it straight from Media > Movies on your 360.

Don't bother following the above link to start. I found Media Player to just be slow and a pain in the ass.

Just download and use TVersity from here. http://tversity.com

It's easy to set up and your 360 should recognise it straight away. If TVersity doesn't work properly for you then you might want to follow the previous link and try MP11.

I've never had a problem with MP. Have both Tversity and MP and prefer MP..

Edited by Corms

I've never had a problem with MP. Have both Tversity and MP and prefer MP..

Just to cast an opposing view.

Have used both and prefer Tversity.

Haven't streamed stuff from my PC for ages since I got an external HDD, but I thought all you had to do was place your divx files in your "shared folders/videos" directory and providing the xbox was set up to look for your computer, it'd stread automatically (no need for MP or tversity)?

I did use tversity a lot before the fivx update for 360 was released, but found it pretty slow and unreliable. Mind you this was ages ago, so maybe current versions are better.

Tim

Haven't streamed stuff from my PC for ages since I got an external HDD, but I thought all you had to do was place your divx files in your "shared folders/videos" directory and providing the xbox was set up to look for your computer, it'd stread automatically (no need for MP or tversity)?

I did use tversity a lot before the fivx update for 360 was released, but found it pretty slow and unreliable. Mind you this was ages ago, so maybe current versions are better.

Tim

Thanks guys, will give it a shot and try tversity, to be honest, I have never been a fan of media players clumsy design, just a personal thing I spose, I always use bs player or winamp for movies, I wouldnt even know how to share media on media player. Might give trversity a go and see what happens, do I need to mess with any 360 options to get it going?

thanks again

Justin

Thanks guys, will give it a shot and try tversity, to be honest, I have never been a fan of media players clumsy design, just a personal thing I spose, I always use bs player or winamp for movies, I wouldnt even know how to share media on media player. Might give trversity a go and see what happens, do I need to mess with any 360 options to get it going?

thanks again

Justin

Be careful using TVersity, not sure if it's the case now but the older version of the program used to download gigs of data overnight unless you told it not to, I'd look carefully through the settings before using it.

I've been using Media Player to share my media with my 360, seems to work fine.

I would use Media Player, it is just a matter of setting it to share once and then when your computer is on it can see all your files. It is a peice of piss even my wife can do it.

tversity is good for transcoding files on the fly for you to get them to play if you have some of the less standard codecs used in your videos.

tversity is good for transcoding files on the fly for you to get them to play if you have some of the less standard codecs used in your videos.

Correct. No point using TVersity if you are just streaming DivX, the 360 will play them just fine on its own (note that the media player for the 360 looks and behaves nothing like media player on the PC).

Correct. No point using TVersity if you are just streaming DivX, the 360 will play them just fine on its own (note that the media player for the 360 looks and behaves nothing like media player on the PC).

Well I am totally confused once again.

I put trversity on my pc, seemed to come up on the 360 pretty easy, it just found all my albums and sorted them which was cool. Adding media and then gettign to it to play is a long process, like multi clicking different folders, if anyone has any advice, please speak up!

I want to browse photos, play mp3s and play divx on the 360. The quality of some divx I just played on 360 via trversity wasnt great, is that because its transcoding them and therefore losing some quality? For example my usual mode of attack for divx is to burn it to dvd media then play it in one of my divx compatible dvd players that upscales it to 1080p. The result is pretty good, on the big 50 inch plasma of course its no blu ray!

So my question is should I keep using trversity for movies, or go back to using the dvd player with divx on the dvds or should I use another method.

I couldnt seem to get the media player going on the 360, for example, I click where it says setup media player on 360 and it gives me a code to use and then I go into MP11 and click share media but no 360 ever came up like it was supposed to and I didnt see anywhere to put that code I wrote down off the 360, so I just kind of left that alone and used trversity. I havent really figured out how to surf the net or use internet radio stations on the 360 thru trversity yet, I followed the instructions, but couldnt see any internet stations where they are supposed to be. I usually use winamp stations on the PC here.

thanks for the replies

regards

Justin

Do you have your media in the default folders? If not you will need to add them to the "media library". MP->tools->options->monitor folders.

If the 360 is on the same network then MP should automatically detect it - Make sure 360 is on.

If you have already set the 360 to use tversity you will have to change the video source on the 360 from "tversity on your pc" to "your PC name". Go to "watch video" then change source.

Don't worry about the code it's irrelevant for what you're doing.