Bsa, Downer Etc. Foxtel Techs

Is Lou still there ?

This idiot should be the first to be kicked off BSA, he is completely unable to run such a company and deal with people ...

Hey, BSA shareholders, can you hear that ?

Clearly you have not heard, Sidor, Lou was shown the door yesterday, that is why you could hear glasses clinking in the background

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly you have not heard, Sidor, Lou was shown the door yesterday, that is why you could hear glasses clinking in the background

Well they shouldn't stop their. Adrian Collins needs to go as with leaston. They should do a clean sweep of managment as well as some QA's, Particuarly here in N.S.W. The top job should go to Mick 0 Rourke...He deserves it...we all honour him...i do anyway...he is the perfect role model that BSA needs right now. I cannot picture him in a suit and tie....but BSA better pull their finger out and put someone in place that has a deserved ammount of respect in the eyes of all techs. I would roll in that guys ****, if he asked me too....that is how much respect I have for him.

Adrian collins and leaston..no support to a tech, no nothing. You could send an email to them that your wife has died, and they never seem to take the time to send a return email..or a courtesy call or..they simply do not give a rats Ass. Great Bsa managers we deal with. One big one gone...many to go.....still.

Peace. :)

it would be interested to know who is going to take Lou's place ?

I am sure Lou still can afford some champagne - for sure he got 6-figure contract termination payment.

The most important question now is if BSA can find someone with a bit more brains or not ?

Stream Comm., for example, used to advertise Operation Manager position for $70k ... it is very little chance they could find someone with brains for this sort of money.

Well, the result is in from the ballot of Telstra employees and over 90% have voted to take industrial action because they have finally had enough of the antics of Sol and his cowboy cronies. The question is will the techs who subby to Telstra support their colleagues and refuse to do the work or better still will they go out in support of them.

TSCA, which is the association formed within the CEPU to support so-called subbies has been holding talks with Silver Stream, who have agreed to stop fining their techs. Below is extract from newsletter :-

In what can only be described as a stunning victory for the sub contractors, the TSCA yesterday negotiated an arrangement with Service Stream management (see attached), which quashes all fines due to be paid until the end of September 2008.

Is this the beginning of the tide turning - time will tell - but it will only happen when all the techs stick together and support the union. Silver Stream only agreed to withdraw because the techs empowered the union with their support.

Remember - THE UNION IS ONLY AS STRONG AS IT'S MEMBERS

Guest duuuude

Hi all

I am new to this forum and having read all the "joys" of working for bsa/foxtel I am glad to have been associated with ATS for many years. ATS have many problems also stemming from inexperienced management but overall a reasonably decent company these days compared to what most of you guys have to deal with.

Good luck in the future. If austar and foxtel merge in the near future I hope it is ATS who get the nod in regional oz and not BSA.

Well, the result is in from the ballot of Telstra employees and over 90% have voted to take industrial action because they have finally had enough of the antics of Sol and his cowboy cronies. The question is will the techs who subby to Telstra support their colleagues and refuse to do the work or better still will they go out in support of them.

TSCA, which is the association formed within the CEPU to support so-called subbies has been holding talks with Silver Stream, who have agreed to stop fining their techs. Below is extract from newsletter :-

In what can only be described as a stunning victory for the sub contractors, the TSCA yesterday negotiated an arrangement with Service Stream management (see attached), which quashes all fines due to be paid until the end of September 2008.

Is this the beginning of the tide turning - time will tell - but it will only happen when all the techs stick together and support the union. Silver Stream only agreed to withdraw because the techs empowered the union with their support.

Remember - THE UNION IS ONLY AS STRONG AS IT'S MEMBERS

Who gives a flying fortress about telstra employees neversaydie

They dont work in our industry and we dont need to know there ****.

Edited by Insolvent Dave

Who gives a flying fortress about telstra employees neversaydie

They dont work in our industry and we dont need to know there ****.

unless your industry is farming, Telstra employees so as Telstra contractors are in the same industry as Foxtel subbies - all of them are being phucked by either Telstra or Foxtel which is the same sheet.

Now Telstra lost NBN contract, Telstra sares dropped 12% down, so I would expect Sol and his other amigos to start packing their suitcases and heading back to where they came from ...

Monty...I really don't care anymore...

The biggest mistake I made was going from Downer to Bsa, when Downer pulled out of the central coast and newcastle. I was forced basically to go with BSA because I was central coast based. Since being with Bsa..the management is a shambles. No support or sympathy, or understanding from those at BSA. Just do do do do. A couple of months ago I moved to sydney after my wife had a major car accident and had to be close to a disability support clinic. What happened on the coast left me with a bad taste in my mouth, especially the attitude of the Qa's when pete salisbury left. Whether i work for bsa or downer edi...the same crap is still going on. Downer i still believe, is way better to work for. Their management is far superior to bsa and they at least have an understanding to your personall family issues. Robert Isola at Downer is a pretty decent guy, and in the past has always looked after me. Still with the new rate cut...i won't be working for either. I'm going back to electrical and the FTA on the coast is going well with my brother looking after that side of business. My eldest boy has just turned 17 so I am going back into the electrical side of things and taking him on as an apprentice. I really have nothing to lose when it comes to working for either. I'm on capacity for the next few months but will leave because of the rate cut. If i don't sign it they will do what they did in the past when I refused to be a Pty Ltd company, and lou put me off capcacity for a couple of months.

Still at the end of the day....i really do not blame BSA or Downer for doing what they are doing. It's Foxtel screwing with the contracting companys thats making life so hard for us poor techs. Foxtel is ripping the guts out of the contracting company's, and the contracting company's have to cover their bottom line so in the end, it passed it onto us. The contracting companys have their staff and their costs to cover, as well as us.

What BSA and Downer should do is, make a stand themselves, and show some leadership and some backbone on behalf of all parties involved. Companies are only as strong as their workforce that backs them.

*.*.*

Downer Edi better to work for???

There just as bad as BSA if not worse... Downers Organisation skills are terrible even a small business with 4 staff members could manage things better. Downers tolerance and sympathy towards technicians own personal commitents is appauling they dont care if you have family commitments, plans for after work or having a day off for private work or medical appointments etc all they care about is getting jobs covered so they dont get fined... The worst ive heard from them is trying to get techs to "wet weather" unassigned jobs for them even if its not raining... pathetic isnt it?

Downer Edi better to work for???

There just as bad as BSA if not worse... Downers Organisation skills are terrible even a small business with 4 staff members could manage things better. Downers tolerance and sympathy towards technicians own personal commitents is appauling they dont care if you have family commitments, plans for after work or having a day off for private work or medical appointments etc all they care about is getting jobs covered so they dont get fined... The worst ive heard from them is trying to get techs to "wet weather" unassigned jobs for them even if its not raining... pathetic isnt it?

Believe me slick...both companys are worlds apart. And i doght you have worked for both like myself.

Rob or koonsie are great to talk too, and I have never had a prolem with em. I like this comment of you " The worst ive heard from them is trying to get techs to "wet weather" unassigned jobs for them even if its not raining... pathetic isnt it?.

Yes it is but BSA did youse this practise as well in the past. That is why they implementd the do today policy which is unworkable to a point. if you want a day off for medical purpose's or private work"that is why a capacity is submited. these capacitys were submitted to bsa and often ignored. That is why I had many run in's with harris and then eventualy brownie. Harris always talk down to my wife...made her feel like crap. We get a new QA and eventually he starts doing the same..that really made me very angny inside...to insult her is insulting me. Because i'm a company and not a emploee..who gives the right for these people to tell me what to do. but if you do not do what yer told then your capicity is cut from under you, so your still an emploee bound by bsa. some of us had the nuts to make a stand some months ago while the rats sucked up to bsa and we were crucified for it" finacially physically and metally. Im still paying for it to this day. but revenge is sweet to them that bugged out. gutless turncoats will be made to suffer.

*_*

Spot on OSOT, the brothers Foley and their team are running BSA entirely for their own benefit as can be seen from the salary packages they award themselves.

Consider the following;

Since 2003 the base salary of MF has increased from 170k to 475k (280%) or almost triple whilst BF has seen his base salary increase from 122k to 246k (200%) or double.

They have also awarded themselves huge bonuses in addition to their entitlements totalling over 340k.

Compare this to the plight of the tech, who has seen his pay increase by 4.5% over the same period with Christmas bonuses of about $150.

Yep, seems fair to me!

What Christmas bonus....

The tech gets a generous , 3.5 cpi increase, then bsa at it's most strategic level, decreases this by under 1.0% plus increases it's stock levels on consumables by 10 % to compensate their loses. That is why they did a dish and lnb audit twice in the same year..to ripp you/us guys off...me no longer.

Sorry to say, but you guys are a bunch of Foxtel/ BSA hookers, so to speak. And your pimp is BSA...Or Mark and Brendon foley if you want names. For a standard install of fox digital, foxtel pays BSA ...$ 462.50 per install, and you get a measley $82.00 after consumable stock, if it is a gutter mount for eg......Whatever job you do for bsa ..calculate it by 2.5 x what you get paid. In some cases it is much higher. So in other words you get around $90.00 per install in your pocket, - Gst - company tax- Income tax- expenses like insurances, car, wear and tear & all other expenses..you make around $20.00 per hour. Then Bsa make a ton of money of what you Purchase from the store.......and then they still ripp most of the fox guys off.

Most of you guys think you are making big money doing fox install's. All you are doing are making the foleys richer whearas most poor souls are going bankrupt, they drive porches and live the high life, and you drive a bomb and struggle to make ends meat.

Remember.... the next time you go out to eat.....these guys are wining and dining on all your blood sweat and tears .......and they do nothing.

(0)

Sorry to say, but you guys are a bunch of Foxtel/ BSA hookers, so to speak. And your pimp is BSA...Or Mark and Brendon foley if you want names. For a standard install of fox digital, foxtel pays BSA ...$ 462.50 per install, and you get a measley $82.00 after consumable stock, if it is a gutter mount for eg......Whatever job you do for bsa ..calculate it by 2.5 x what you get paid. In some cases it is much higher. So in other words you get around $90.00 per install in your pocket, - Gst - company tax- Income tax- expenses like insurances, car, wear and tear & all other expenses..you make around $20.00 per hour. Then Bsa make a ton of money of what you Purchase from the store.......and then they still ripp most of the fox guys off.

(0)

This is all very interesting,But I would be very surprised if they(BSA) are making as much as you claim.

Are you able to back these figues up?

This is all very interesting,But I would be very surprised if they(BSA) are making as much as you claim.

Believe it slick...it's very true.

Bsa, Downer and Ats provide services on the sat platform, as well as many other services, in different sectors of the communications industry...still their all subcontracting companys. They all base their margins on profit. They wouldn't be their to provide you, and route you with work, pay employees, QA's, phone bills, office rent, The list goes on and on and on etc.., if their was nothing in it for them. A clear example is what the foleys have paid themselves over the years, and continue to increase their own salarys whilst they decrease the bottom line in dollars for the techs in all parts of the communications industry.

I gave up subbie work for bsa on the telstra side because of the rediculous $150.00 backcharges, up from $45.00. And rumour has it, ****it will be soon implemented on bsa's sat platform as well. So get ready for it, because they will drop it on you when you least expect it. Like the so called 3 day warranty backcharge that the managers never went in to detail with, and most bsa contractors were really sucked in by it, and signed for it, never really reading the fine print that bsa purposely hid from them. If a tech installed a crappy, and i mean a piece of CRAP 720 box...that usually burned out in a day or two...bsa was fined from fox.....they never said in the meeting, that the tech would be backcharge for it, instead of BSA. So all of a sudden you get backcharged for faulty STU's that are garbage, and their supplied by foxtel, but BSA have wiped away the responsibility from their side and passed it on to the techs. They implement an sms system, so they can cut their call rates down to make more profit, but the tech wears it as another expense. Management gets on the horn on the bsa site saying if you do not sms the job, you cannot close a job..unless you sms..another lie and con.

If some customer that you installed foxtel for, has a problem....customer education, a fault no found etc...you get backcharged around the $45.00 dollar mark at the moment which is all BS. Soon you will be backcharged $150.00 like the telstra subbies get hit for. The good news is, the telstra subbies are making a stand, so bsa will more than likley implement it elsewere....,,,,the sat techs to boost bsa's revenue yet again.

Then we go to a meeting at terrigal not long ago. They shower us with pizza and it's all lovey dovey, with our QA's, that are prancing around with managment and us techs, trying to look as important as ever, and being so serious....praising Bsa and talking up the hype like..WTF....are you guys for real ...You really think we are so stupid....They want us to sign new agreements, but won't let us look at the new agreements, till we sign it...and the new rate cuts, which was already leaked..by yours truly. So in the end everyone walks away not impressed....whilst the QA's get sent to the corner..lol...like a couple of bad choir boys that hit the high note, a little to early...oopsie.

I have been in this business for a very very long time and in that time I have intimate knowledge and close relations to many of those within BSA and downer, and some of those people are employees at BSA that work within the office. I know all the pay rates as of 2007. But like I said..if bsa pay you a figure for a job...times that by 2.5% and that is what bsa gets paid by foxtel,..before you do.

If you do a standard CBS Intall, and bsa pay you $185.00...X it by 2.5% because that is what foxtel pays BSA. If you do an IQ CBS Install + psn & do a Multiroom, times that by 2.5% and that is what Foxtel Pays to bsa, before you get paid. So that would mean you get paid $325 by bsa including consumables. Bsa get paid from foxtel $812.50 for the same install.

Bsa will generally announce a 3.5 cpi increase like they have done over the years to make themselves appear like they are concerned about their techs..lol... Never farther from the real truth...With a rate cut, such as the new agreement, and increased stock prices rising and fluctuating to suit bsa's losses which most techs are paying for in one way or another, this brings Bsa back on par without a loss to itself, but a loss to the contractor. That is why they increase dish and Lnb prices and submitt an audit for all those that are silly enough to declare, exactly what they have, which I didn't because this is an old con. So all you poor subbies get a backcharge for equipment, you have paid for and already own....

My advice....distance yourself as far away as possible from BSA...They will sent you broke. Get a regular job. The money they offer is all but gone if you own a Pty Ltd company. They are all about bs.....and you never have regular work as they claim. They lie and decieve to suck people in on a promising future that will never happen.

I learned the hard way......with this mob.

BSA sucks.....

What you say is true and Newcastle techs will be able to listen to the waffle tomorrow night at their planned meeting........

I do not think that BSA can force you to sign a contract if you have an existing one but as we know in there own way they will drive the prices down to get back the so called CPI increase thus taking us furthur behind..... how any business can survive on the return is beyond me...and it does not matter how much work you take on , the return is negligble for your effort.

Packing it in is also going to cost you as you will not be paid for 3 months so you really have to plan well and reduce your capacity over a period of time so building your business in another area......as we know in the present climate you cant expect to get immediate work by giving BSA the immediate flick.

If we want change, as posted by neversaydie many times, we need a concerted effort by all contractors, which will take time.....meanwhile I guess we have to cop what BSA dishes out and do the best we can.

unless your industry is farming, Telstra employees so as Telstra contractors are in the same industry as Foxtel subbies - all of them are being phucked by either Telstra or Foxtel which is the same sheet.

Now Telstra lost NBN contract, Telstra sares dropped 12% down, so I would expect Sol and his other amigos to start packing their suitcases and heading back to where they came from ...

Hey Sidor

We dont work with twisted pairs.

And by the way who do you work for?

It aint BSA!!! They punted you along time ago!!!

What you say is true and Newcastle techs will be able to listen to the waffle tomorrow night at their planned meeting........

I do not think that BSA can force you to sign a contract if you have an existing one but as we know in there own way they will drive the prices down to get back the so called CPI increase thus taking us furthur behind..... how any business can survive on the return is beyond me...and it does not matter how much work you take on , the return is negligble for your effort.

Packing it in is also going to cost you as you will not be paid for 3 months so you really have to plan well and reduce your capacity over a period of time so building your business in another area......as we know in the present climate you cant expect to get immediate work by giving BSA the immediate flick.

If we want change, as posted by neversaydie many times, we need a concerted effort by all contractors, which will take time.....meanwhile I guess we have to cop what BSA dishes out and do the best we can.

Hi monty

No they cannot force you to sign a new contract...but because you are a PTY LTD company, their loophole will be, this company ( being BSA ) cannot provide service to ( your company ) that will not abide by our new guidelines and our agreements, so therefore we cannot provide you with a work capacity that benefits both companys in the same interests.

In other words..your off capacity, till you sign. And that is just one of the many loopholes that bsa can use, to get their own way. And they usually do with force. Thank johny howard for that one. But because BSA are such a pathetic company to work for, and have a happy face upfront, with a knife ready to stab you in that back, the moment you make a resist in any form, you are bsa's bait that feeds you to the sharks. Been their done it....and your QA is your worst enemy.....

Monty..my advice is not fight bsa, but use them...like they use you. Play bsa at their own game. That is what I did. Build up a good customer base and promote other services that bsa do provide, but charge to much. If you can install sat, then you can do anything in the telco/ antenna communnity. I took Dave Roskells advice off this forum and my business is flourishing, & I left bsa a while ago. It's quite ironic actually..I'm busier now ,than when i worked for fox. Been a long time i have done a full day of work buts its all cash work and i'm loving it.

Keep your chin up and don't rely on bsa as an end all & be all job. You will get plenty work if you go about your business in the right manor. Word of mouth is greater than any add fox can deliver. And fox has a bad rep at anytime.

Had to laugh when i saw a add in the paper looking for new recruits... or suckers willing to work for bsa.

R***r*D

quit because ill have enough money to retire on as my accountant told me earlier :lol:

hi guys, after 13 years in the industry ( I am no longer actively involved) I still keep being updated by former workmates.

A couple of intersting bits, maybe...

I was with BSA from day one, and before they even kicked off (remember COMET).

Once this was worth getting out of bed for in the morning, now it seems to have become a farce; thankks to poor management. What is that, Brendan?

Centralisation destroyed that company, and blind willingness to bend over at FOXTEL`s whim.

The CEO and his family creaming off what is not theirs and boasting about it is legendary, the way to promote brain dead cocksuckers like Lleaston Paull and Lou Mantzos (thank **** he is gone) is the topic of legends as well. Creating a call centre full of morons is what you do when you have no brain...Brendan. Spare Adrian Collins, he is a poor, mindless puppet with no spine, Dave Moore is just another name for a dumb cock sucker, no substance there either.

(Forget the unions, they will take your money and run, I have been there and seen it back in 1999, live and in colour!!!)

By now these poor bastards are down to employing/recruiting non english speaking individuals from the middle and far east, with devastating results.

(see the Damage Complaints)

The techs who used to carry this industry are on their way out or gone very soon.

Let the Foleys eventually taste failure, bitterness and relish the flavour of the pain they sowed by killing off a once thriving industry.

BSA will go down the path of every other company in the industry eventually - OBLIVION !!! One thing is certain, there is a demand for pay tv; just not the way it is handled and served out currently by these companies squirming at FOXTEL`s feet.

(ps. Lou Mantzos was the soccer coach of Leaston Paul`s son - hence his management job with BSA. Satisfied?)

VIVA and what will eventually succeed it, has already failed overseas; yet it will be done again down here with the same results...what can you say.)

time will tell,

so sad.

Its good to see someone understands were im coming from. These fines are a pathetic. Im not a dodgy tech Ive been told I do a good job get plenty of good customer feedback as reported from QA's but this **** with passing fines onto techs because he/she forgets to add a JEP code to a job is pointless why should a tech get issued a fine after theyve put their blood and sweat into an install to find they wont get paid for the job because some geek at SMC cant be bothered to spend 5secs on computer editing something, seems a bit unfair dosent it...

and these saftey harnesses are gonna be a long term health hazard working in them 6days a week for 10hrs a day. The pressure these damn things put on you around your groin area is enough to probably make you go infertile after long term use and I personally cant see many other techs abiding to these stupid regulations. All techs are only gonna be able to do 2 to 3 installs max a day now which is **** all because of the downer regulations on how we have to go about doing a job with a harness its just impracticle and not finacally viable for us to use them. Unless foxtel and downer gives and extra $100 per install...

agreed, but we were introduced to these devices back in 1999, and allegedly have been using them since then...

we all knew about it, and everyone agreed to ignore it.

Blame OH&S.

Yes!! 2008 was a tough year. With Viva and the call waits which drive me crazy. Tech01!!! stop crying over all your problems. Just deal with it. You have to realise that wizard was a dos based system or ancient to be correct. Bsa had little or no choice but to upgrade their software eventually which was long long overdue. Also your lashing out at certain managers and staff and by other forum members as well. Lou Mantos was a very nice guy. Sad to hear of his sacking but I never had a problem with him. As for Adrian Collins we have had our moments,hehe but overall not a bad bloke to deal with,and he and lou certainly cut me a few breaks over the years. Tech01 !! most of your problems comes not from BSA but from Foxtel themselves that forces Bsa/Downer to take certain actions or decisions that are not supportive of the contracting companys but have to be enforced to comply with Fox's requirements based on contract.

Have a nice day...

Unfortunately apologists for BSA like your self do not get it.

The problem was not that the software was upgraded, it was the manner it which it was done whereby one system was closed down and a new system was implemented without testing instead of running the programs in parallel until the bugs were ironed out.

Lou Mantzos was a nice guy was he, good managers do not increase capacity after techs have submitted it ( he should be in jail for that) - they put systems in place to ensure that the company can cope with whatever capacity is submitted by their workforce.

As for most of the problems coming from Foxtel, you must be dreaming. The only problems for which Foxtel are responsible are the inadequate rates which force techs to work in a dangerous manner and take shortcuts which are not in anybodys interests. All other problems can be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of BSA/Downer - for instance the waiting times are due entirely to the fact that not enough call centre staff are employed by BSA to deal with the workload and this is directly related to the greed of BSA, as to employ enough call centre staff would reduce their profits.

Warranty service calls are the direct responsibility of BSA.

Short payments are entirely the responsibility of BSA as are non-payments, these are due to the incompetence of the invoicing department.

Zero tolerance is a BSA responsibility.

The blatant manipulation of the CPI rises so that the techs receive less than the stated rise was implemented by BSA.

Backcharges were implemented by BSA.

Van audits, the charging of lost consignment stock at well in excess of cost, shortage of stock and huge increases in the cost of consumables are all problems which are directly related to BSA.

As for your comment that it is Foxtel's fault because BSA/Downer sign contracts which are untenable, it would be laughable if it were not so tragically true and just serves to reinforce the incompetence of management at these companies and the result of this incompetence is borne by the techs. I note though that it does not stop the salaries of the hierarchy from increasing exponentially on an annual basis. I heard some years ago that the management of BSA front up to Foxtel when the contract is due for renewal and sign it without reading it then take it back to BSA to see what is in it. Whether or not it is true I do not know but judging by the standards of management I would not be surprised.

Bearing in mind that BSA is a publicly listed company it is long past the time when the authorities had a real good look at the way this company is run.

Happy New Year to one and all !!!

Yes!! 2008 was a tough year. With Viva and the call waits which drive me crazy. Tech01!!! stop crying over all your problems. Just deal with it. You have to realise that wizard was a dos based system or ancient to be correct. Bsa had little or no choice but to upgrade their software eventually which was long long overdue. Also your lashing out at certain managers and staff and by other forum members as well. Lou Mantos was a very nice guy. Sad to hear of his sacking but I never had a problem with him. As for Adrian Collins we have had our moments,hehe but overall not a bad bloke to deal with,and he and lou certainly cut me a few breaks over the years. Tech01 !! most of your problems comes not from BSA but from Foxtel themselves that forces Bsa/Downer to take certain actions or decisions that are not supportive of the contracting companys but have to be enforced to comply with Fox's requirements based on contract.

Have a nice day...

Have a nice day...well

With your tripe posted here, dude you are in the twilight zone. Have a really good look around yourself. Sure you sense a kind of loyalty to your managers as I once did. But no more. These people are not your friends. They do not give a toss about you. They do not care about you. All they care about is Bsa and the money. If you fall off a roof and break your neck, they will hire some other poor freak to replace you. Slick..it's like the army...your an expendable asset to them. If you cannot make a dollar for them then your history. Your sympathic approach to lou and adrian. Hahaha...the wanker dream team. I will be as malicious towards those that were most malicious to me. These very people may as well of put me against a wall a shot me. The damage has been done, it's permanent and I will make it my mission in life to bring these people down as what they have done to me over the last two years. No understanding to personal hardships, cold, malicious, self interests and simply evil uncaring people. It's all about money as usual. Money money money. Get your head out of the rainbow cloud son. Look at the big picture.

***HA***