Sign in to follow this  
neversaydie

Bsa, Downer Etc. Foxtel Techs

There have been similar threads but they were not advertised as being specifically for techs, so I figured it was time the techs had a forum to air their concerns and issues and maybe, just maybe, collective action can be organised to improve conditions and rates. It is quite clear that nothing will be achieved within the industry unless BSA and Downer techs band together to get a better deal from Foxtel, who are the real villains in the piece, as every couple of years they say to the contracting companies, these are the rates we will pay, take it or leave it and unfortunately the contractors keep taking it and the bottom line is Foxtel are getting fatter and fatter at the expense of the techs, who are the lifeblood of the industry.

For those of you who are unaware Foxtel recently declared a profit of 157 million dollars compared to 76 million last year, this is an obscenity when they point blank refuse to increase the rates paid to techs, which incidentally have increased by about 3.5% in 10 years, whilst the cost of living over the same period has increased by over 40% and average weekly earnings have increased by over 60%.

Recently as you are all aware fuel has gone through the roof, insurances have increased steeply, materials have increased and BSA have this week increased the cost of telephone cable to the techs by 25% in one hit. In 2008 alone all the increases have meant that the outgoings of the techs have increased by approx $100 per week and things show no signs of improving.

For Foxtel to give the techs at BSA a decent rise to bring rates back to what they were 10 years ago would cost them 18 million dollars, which would be recouped by a dollar a month per subscriber and if you include Downer techs I would imagine the total cost to be less than 40 million dollars or a little more than $2 dollars per month per subscriber.

It is about time you all got angry and demanded a better deal and this will only come about by BSA and Downer techs talking to each other.

I can be contacted on neversaydie47@live.com.au

Edited by neversaydie

The zero tolerance policy introduced by BSA has had some unforeseen consequences. Because of this policy, which means the job has to be done today (if not by the tech then by the QA) the workload on the QA's has increased enormously to an intolerable level and there are now QA's actively seeking other jobs.

BSA have already lost nearly 20% of the techs since the VIVA debacle started and unless the zero tolerance policy is withdrawn and QA's are allowed to return to carrying out their major function, which is checking the quality of work performed, then there will shortly be a mass exodus of highly trained QA's. Despite widespread adverting they have been unable to attract replacement techs because of the rates and working conditions, so what hope have they of replacing departing QA's.

This obsessive push by the BSA hierarchy to increase the number of jobs completed at any cost has directly led to the recent injury of a newly employed trainee, who fell off a ladder and was hospitalised. I do not recall this incident being reported on the BSA web site, probably because BSA are aware that their actions have made them culpable for this poor trainee's injury.

These and other short sighted policies by BSA have led the company to the abyss as can be seen by the damage inflicted on the share price, which is currently languishing around 20c almost qualifying it as a penny dreadful stock.

These and other short sighted policies by BSA have led the company to the abyss as can be seen by the damage inflicted on the share price, which is currently languishing around 20c almost qualifying it as a penny dreadful stock.

this company with its stupid managers does not deserve to have FOXTEL contract and I am looking forward when they go broke …

The more techs and QAs leave BSA Ltd ASAP the faster it will go under liquidation ...

What has long been suspected by many techs re consignment stock was confirmed today by Foxtel.

If an STU is lost or stolen etc. then Foxtel have one standard charge $300 whether it is a standard or IQ1 or IQ2 box and nothing for a smart card.

Compare this with what BSA charges any tech unfortunate enough to lose one or have it stolen.

$500 for a standard STU

$600 for an IQ1

$800 for an IQ2

$150 for a smartcard

Ned Kelly is alive and well and living in Auburn.

Interesting thread!!!

I have been working in this industry since it started and I agree that management in most contracting companies is absolutely pathetic !!!

There is very very little support for the technicians, training is an absolute joke! I have seen techs trained in a coffee shop for two hours on a course that normally takes a week!!!

More time and money goes into talking about what is wrong rather than fixing it.

Having said that, I still think that most technicians only have themselves to blame, the standard of work is ****, adherence to process is ****, presentation is ****, reliability is ****, technical knowledge is ****, attitude is ****, culture is ****, presentation is ****, personal grooming is ****, reliability is ****…… do I need to go on.

I recently had the displeasure to be involved with a company in having a look at technician issues and I can honestly say they are the same issues I remember dealing with when the industry started.

If technicians are really interested in the industry, their career etc etc

Then I would suggest pulling up your socks and showing the industry (companies) what you really can do and how you really can perform then maybe they will listen to you.

Interesting thread!!!

Then I would suggest pulling up your socks and showing the industry (companies) what you really can do and how you really can perform then maybe they will listen to you.

I have and i do and it has got me no where

Only way to make these companies listen is every one sticking together and not taking it up the a...hole...

problem is they bring in new techs to replace the ones leaving and they have now idea of the pay decreases and have spend so much to get in they have to stay and try to pay it off.

I have seen it time and time again over the last 8 years

Edited by optussubbie

I hear you optussubbie

the only way to fix the problem is if everyone sticks together and performs better. Unfortunately there is very little training in the industry so every tom dick and harry who has a van basically get a gig.

Until we introduce a proper training course, introduce some form of regulation or endorsement we as an industry will go no where. Just like the past 15+ years.

By the way I don’t want to be totally negative there are also a number of subbies who do a great job but it’s the ones that don’t who are letting every one down.

Agreed PDOC, but that need to pay us more money......pay peanuts get monkeys, or bakers etc......

Agree RevRX

but if the monkeys become technicians, then the technicians have a much better case, for more peanuts!

If you feed the Monkeys banana's, you wont have any Monkeys, you will only have technicians

Hahah good one RevRX

We are starting to get to the age old question ……

What came first the chicken or the egg???

Don’t get me wrong I have done a lot of work in the industry to get better recognition for technicians and subsequently better pay … its just taking a long time!

Most of what pdoc says has some merit, this industry is full of cowboys. I am a sparky who has also done 5 years electronics in the armed forces. Until self regulation was introduced into the electrical trade there were very few cowboys and now it is full of them, which is another story for another day.

The level of skill in this industry has spiralled downward since Foxtel got rid of all the QA's, mind you it wasn't that flash even when Foxtel QA's were inspecting the work as only about 5-10% of jobs were inspected.

Over the past 6years many of the skilled techs have left the industry because of the appalling attitude of Foxtel who simply refuse to adjust rates upwards whilst making obscene levels of profit. It is not sustainable and as I have said in a previous post the drift away of skilled techs and QA's will only accelerate. I have never condoned poor workmanship nor will I in the future but the only solution to the problem is to substantially increase rates paid to the techs. The techs appear to be petrified of taking any action against Foxtel for fear of losing their jobs but that is not going to happen.

Five years ago, when Digital was rolled out the techs went on strike and Foxtel responded immediately with an increase in the rate for the return path and nobody lost their job. The mistake made by the techs at the time was that the opportunity should have been taken to sit down with Foxtel and review all rates across the board. Enough talking has been done around this issue and the time has now come for techs to take action.

Sniping at each other about peanuts and monkeys will achieve nothing except drive wedges between the techs, we need to come together and present a united front to Foxtel. No tech should dwell on whether or not action will cost him or her their job but rather this question "where will Foxtel get the techs to replace me?"

BSA have been advertising for techs for twelve months and cannot get them, because of the rates. If BSA or Downer lose their contracts with Foxtel, where will the new contracting company get their techs from? Answer! The existing techs.

So let not fear guide your decision making because at the end of it all there are only so many techs to go around and for any new player coming in they would need a ready trained workforce.

Neversaydie.....Ask your self a question what profit are BSA and Downer making on installers.......

RevRX I do not see the point of the question, I know it is substantial but I don't speculate unless I know.

What I do know is that the rates they pay to techs has not increased, unlike their profits and that the hourly rate for quoted jobs is still $37 per hour same as it was 12 years ago.

I am not interested in getting involved in banter, I am focussed on doing whatever I can to secure a better deal for techs, whatever that takes.

Neversaydie.....Ask your self a question what profit are BSA and Downer making on installers.......

Two example are:

Considering the RSF (Regional Service Fee) which customer is charged $50, Foxtel say that it goes to the Tech to cover extra travel & vehicle expenses in region areas.

Now it gets passed to BSA to forward to the Tech who only sees $25. Who keeps the other $25? BSA of course. WHY??

Foxtel themselves have told me the full RSF is for the Tech. Not BSA's greedy fingers.

Extra quoted labour hours on jobs, the customer gets charged approx $70ph. The Tech only sees $35ph. BSA pocket the rest.

Surely a 50% fee for BSA's very minimal effort in the equation is highly un-realistic.

Ive just about had it with Downer Edi/Foxtel... ive been doing it for year now and it was alright when a started out apart from the **** pay rates like $45 for multiroom when should be a making $150 min for any cable run... but now theres other **** weve had to put up with like VIVA "we couldnt be ****ed testing it before we changed over to it", consignment stock shortages like IQ1 boxes, IVR issues resulting in being put on hold by foxtel for 30mins on the job, un-notified cancelled jobs by foxtel which mysteriously appear in your daily work route and your rock up to the job and the customer says they cancelled the job a week ago, incorrect work data for jobs resulting in a rescheduled appointment because its to hard for some desk geek at SMC to enter in a new job code for a work order, oh lets not forget the fines "oh you forgot to include a JEP code for that job you did a month ago we better deduct the $300 from you now coz we cant be ****ed sticking up for you guys, we'd rather suck foxtels cock so we keep our contract" or "you forgot to do a new installation test on three jobs in a row that'll be $40 thanks" the list is ****ing endless...

And now here in S.A it has been made mandatory we all wear a safety harness on all jobs whether it be a simple LNB change, service call or even a single storey flat tined roof. If we are caught not wearing one we are terminated from Downer EDI no questions asked. Now i dont have any problems with a company looking after our safety issues but now they expect us to spend the extra time on jobs required to attach a saftey harness system with no increase in pay rates. All of a sudden our work has been deemed risky/dangerous. Shouldnt we be getting paid a higher pay rate... and on top of that we have to fork out around 500 to 600 dollars on safety equipment... It's a joke... and time for a new job I think because I can never see Downer and foxtel cleaning up there act towards us Techs... :angry: