Olympic Ballyhoo!

Thanks, channel 7! I wonder how many plasma screens are now stuffed with screen burn because you decided to broadcast your annoying Olympics logo in full opaque white. (I can feel a class-action suit coming on!!!) Why not a see-through logo such as those used by every other network? While I'm bellyaching (sorry) the PQ on my HD set was only average in quality and no 5.1 sound. The many musical segments would have sounded great in full surround. Oh well...

Edited by Dr. Zachary Smith

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, channel 7! I wonder how many plasma screens are now stuffed with screen burn because you decided to broadcast your annoying Olympics logo in full opaque white. (I can feel a class-action suit coming on!!!) Why not a see-through logo such as those used by every other network? While I'm bellyaching (sorry) the PQ on my HD set was only average in quality and no 5.1 sound. The many musical segments would have sounded great in full surround. Oh well...

Hahaha.. Only if you've got a scabby tele' :P I did note how bright it was though also. I also thought there was something wrong with my contrast settings until it dawned on me that China is ****-stained in pollution :lol: (jk) thought those clowns were going to clean up the air in the preceding weeks to the Olympics?

Gotta admit though, it was a brilliant display. Better than the goons we made of ourselves dressed up as clotheslines in 2000.......... God our (Australian) opening ceremony made me cringe :blush:

Olympics :o …. what Olympics? :P

I would have to watch free to air TV for that, not happening.

What were people doing watching the Olympics??? The best match up in sport all year was on nine HD Storm vs Sea Eagles, I love my foxtel but you can't beat that, great game too!

CP -_-

Not only is it big and bright, what about the positioning? It was annoying me so much I had to turn off.

Never underestimate Sevens skill in p!ss!ng off their viewers!

And on high-def reception, the only thing in actual high-def was their bl**dy logo!

But then, all those fireworks wouldn’t have helped the air quality too much (and those long camera shots were the most blurry of all).

But on another matter, long gone are the days when China could be considered to be a low-tech country –and we were reminded of this fact tonight.

Never underestimate Sevens skill in p!ss!ng off their viewers!

And on high-def reception, the only thing in actual high-def was their bl**dy logo!

But then, all those fireworks wouldn’t have helped the air quality too much (and those long camera shots were the most blurry of all).

But on another matter, long gone are the days when China could be considered to be a low-tech country –and we were reminded of this fact tonight.

It'd want to be a long looong time ago that anyone considered China to be low-tech. 40 years ago my father who was a merchant seaman would bring us back whizz bang electronics from there all the time. I still even remember my first digital watch. Black screen and red led display.

What were people doing watching the Olympics??? The best match up in sport all year was on nine HD Storm vs Sea Eagles, I love my foxtel but you can't beat that, great game too!

CP -_-

???

The game well was over by the time the ceremony started

I'm surprised you are having IR troubles on your panasonic(s), I would expect them to handle the watermark without any issues or am I mistaken?

I'm surprised you are having IR troubles on your panasonic(s), I would expect them to handle the watermark without any issues or am I mistaken?

I'd doubt there was an IR problem. More likely stating a valid point that broadcasters should 'tone down' their WM's as they're distracting and just a general PITA to look at.

Pneu, any Plasma set operating on high contrast last night would probably have suffered some damage because of that silly logo, me thinks...not just my Panasonic units, but thanks for the consideration. I am still hopping mad at the decision makers at seven who allowed the logo to be broadcast the way it was. I'm also quite sorry for the people who bought new HD tvs especially for this event only, perhaps, to be let down by the rather ordinary PQ of the broadcast. Am I mistaken or did others think that the picture was something less than true HD? And, sorry to harp on the subject, where was the 5.1 sound??? Why wouldn't the full scope of HD be used on an important event such as this? Channel 7, I am sooo disappointed. I did a straw poll, by phone, of friends who either already owned, or who had just bought an HD tv for the Olympics. They, too, were not that impressed. Anyone from seven care to comment???

Pneu, any Plasma set operating on high contrast last night would probably have suffered some damage because of that silly logo, me thinks...not just my Panasonic units, but thanks for the consideration. I am still hopping mad at the decision makers at seven who allowed the logo to be broadcast the way it was. I'm also quite sorry for the people who bought new HD tvs especially for this event only, perhaps, to be let down by the rather ordinary PQ of the broadcast. Am I mistaken or did others think that the picture was something less than true HD? And, sorry to harp on the subject, where was the 5.1 sound??? Why wouldn't the full scope of HD be used on an important event such as this? Channel 7, I am sooo disappointed. I did a straw poll, by phone, of friends who either already owned, or who had just bought an HD tv for the Olympics. They, too, were not that impressed. Anyone from seven care to comment???

Yeah the watermark p!ssed me off too. Especially as most of the shots were dark so it made the effect even worse.

While I'm bellyaching (sorry) the PQ on my HD set was only average in quality and no 5.1 sound. The many musical segments would have sounded great in full surround. Oh well...

The first Olympics to be shot in HD and we don't get the 5.1 experience. You'd think after paying the 100's of millions of dollars for the rights CH7 would make it as good a product as possible to match the hype and make their TiVo PVR shine. The whole HD thing in Australia is still so 2nd rate.

Disappointing CH7 :angry:

The watermark issue was even worse in regional areas. In Canberra we had to put up with the Prime logo above the 7 Olympic logo making the damn thing even bigger than what you will have had to endure in Sydney. As for the position of the watermark, jeez why don't they just stick the bloody thing in the middle of the screen and be done with it, because clearly CH 7 is hell bent on pissing everyone off.

I don't know about the HD picture quality - seemed OK for me. Pity about the sound though - Rugby World Cup came scarily alive in 5.1, but even my Yammie amp and 6 speakers couldn't help last night. As to the picture - I switched back to SD occasionally and found that Ch7 SD seemed particularly low-res compared to Ch9 and 10 SD at the time. But that damned Ch7 logo shone through just fine - way beyond a watermark by any definition! :o

Sticking it up there amongst the dark sky and fireworks didn't help, but then it would've blanked out entire teams if placed any lower. A very stupid decision that is surely counter-effective especially if they plant anything remotely like it on the rest of the Olympic broadcasts - I'll watch something else.

Cannot really see much point in 5.1 audio in the Games except perhaps the opening and closing ceremonies..

Yep the Logo is terrible might just watch cycling on the good ole SBS if you can see through the smog.

From what i saw last night there seems to be bandwith issues when you get anything large moving on the screen.Flags waving and close ups of people marching past looked very poor with all the macro blocking.It was nowhere near as good as the WC Rugby last year.The longer shots of the swimming should look pretty good i guess.I don't think the logo is bright enough to cause burn in on a properly run in plasma but i would be careful about watching on a brand new one.I was more concerned about the time/score for the soccer the night before,now that seemed to be very bright and bold indeed.I think i'll watch it all on my old Hitachi.

Yeah, i heard in Tassie we weren't getting the full banwidth in HD. Got my new Pioneer LX508 (1080p) installed yesterday. HD looked great apart from fast moving reds which pixelated. Go to SD coverage though and i can see these problems. I take it this is a transmission problem, not my plasma underperforming?

Yeah, i heard in Tassie we weren't getting the full banwidth in HD. Got my new Pioneer LX508 (1080p) installed yesterday. HD looked great apart from fast moving reds which pixelated. Go to SD coverage though and i can see these problems. I take it this is a transmission problem, not my plasma underperforming?

Mate its not your plasma, im in tassie too and the picture quality in HD was bloody shocking, the reds breaking up is sickening to watch (I have a Pana TH50PZ800a). I am now watching some of the basket ball, and the reds on the players strips is doing to exact same thing as it was doing in the opening ceremony.

At first i thought it was my display like you, but with a little closer look its a serious issue of macro blocking and the interlacing doesnt help. Trust SCX to do something half arsed.

Class Action law suit - Good luck !

Its not the televisions station fault what choise of technology you choose to make.

Tell U what, lets all sue the petrol companies because of poor air quality and health problems due to the smog in the air.

Like it is their choice what form of trnasportation we choose to use.

Good luck on your class action...............................

I just did a back and forth from SD/HD.Yeah there is certainly nothing wrong with your tv.The SD is dramatically lower res and kind of looks like watching through the bottom of your beer glass compared to HD.Those pixelated reds are trully appalling though and very distracting :o

Seven still have the ultrabright watermark today and looks like it will remain. Over to SBS it is. :)

It does look marginally lighter to me on the basketball this morning. That could be because the underlying picture is brighter than the opening ceremony last night and it's daytime watching. Still it's pretty obnoxious to have it 4:3 whilst making a big deal about it being HD and thus widescreen.

How long will they keep appeasing 4:3 owners? Surely the technology isn't that hard to overlay it differently to the analogue feed? I don't mind team lists etc before a game but the score and the watermark (if we have to have the stupid thing)...? BTW: 7 started this stupid watermark bollocks here and everyone followed.