Why Is Digital So Crap And Problematic

I had great SBS, ABC, NBN & TEN reception and really bad PRIME prior to going digital.

Now SBS is shocking if there at all, the ABC comes & goes, while PRIME, NBN & TEN are great.

The anoying thing is that ABC & SBS are the main chanels I watch.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connecting an antenna to a digital tuner via other devices first (like your DVD recorder) often causes problems.

For best results, an antenna should be connected directly to the digital tuner, then from the digital receiver to the DVD recorder.

Sorry not to have thanked you all for more recent advice. I have been away and much tied up with non TV matters.

Yesterday I did try connecting antenna direct to the digital TV with a curious result. ABC (both), 7, 10 and SBS were OK. Channel 9 however would not show. All I got was a single word "Encrypted". Minor pages such as programme guides also failed to show. Re-routed via the DVD recorder and all OK again (perfect Brisbane weather mind you).

I got a lot of this "encrypted" message in country towns when I was using the Wintal digital set in my caravan but none of the electronics businesses I consulted then could explain the phenomenon. It certainly has not happened before in Brisbane.

pomozwi

Connecting an antenna to a digital tuner via other devices first (like your DVD recorder) often causes problems.

For best results, an antenna should be connected directly to the digital tuner, then from the digital receiver to the DVD recorder.

Sorry not to have thanked you all for more recent advice. I have been away and much tied up with non TV matters.

Yesterday I did try connecting antenna direct to the digital TV with a curious result. ABC (both), 7, 10 and SBS were OK. Channel 9 however would not show. All I got was a single word "Encrypted". Minor pages such as programme guides also failed to show. Re-routed via the DVD recorder and all OK again (perfect Brisbane weather mind you).

I got a lot of this "encrypted" message in country towns when I was using the Wintal digital set in my caravan but none of the electronics businesses I consulted then could explain the phenomenon. It certainly has not happened before in Brisbane.

pomozwi

there's no encryption taking place, I suggest replacing the STB.

what is the model no. of this LCD TV?

Digitalj,

Thanks for your interest. Model number for this Wintal set is WLD 1948.

A considerable irritant is that the accompanying "manuals" are very brief, written in Chinglish and replete with strings of letters and acronyms which presuppose high level training in state of the art electronics. The only recourse for help is to call a Melbourne number where one gets very friendly assistance. Trouble is I am 2000 km away and my mind is an electronic wasteland. Hence my seeking the help of the good folk here.

This query re "encryption" is to try to get some understanding of what is wrong. I still have to follow up previous advice re the state of my antenna and cabling.

pomozwi