Panasonic 50px80a Price

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What resolution are your eyes?

If you can’t see the individual pixels at your viewing distance the “resolution” of the display is irrelevant, and a display with more resolution is pointless.

It doesn't change the fact that the 42PX has a physical resolution of 1024x768 and that's not HD.

Edited by ageha

Well I went to JB, Myer, Dick Smith on 31st and lowest price I could get for the Px42 inch was $1,250.

So I am waiting to see if there are any better deals early this month.. otherwise I'll just get it at around $1200 I suppose. I have decided on the 42 inch PX so at least I can concentrate my search.

BC

Yep. I'm convinced.. .and the lower price helps. I'm off to try and find one today here in Melbourne.... will see if I can get Myer to price match the JB price of $988 in their online catalogue: that way I can get some Myer one points. And will put it on my Westpac Altitude Platinum card = 2 extra years warranty!

Now to read through the Wall Mount installation guide.. planning to get the tilt one from Selby.

Thanks for the Help! I'll report back once the TV bought & installed...

Well I went to JB, Myer, Dick Smith on 31st and lowest price I could get for the Px42 inch was $1,250.

So I am waiting to see if there are any better deals early this month.. otherwise I'll just get it at around $1200 I suppose. I have decided on the 42 inch PX so at least I can concentrate my search.

BC

Why didnt JB honour their online price of 988?, didnt they have any in stock!

Nope. I even tried the 'order online' option: it then liknied to a page saying this item not available. And I found it listed at (around) $1,250 on another page on the JB website... so I presume the 998 price was for a limited number of TV's and they have reverted back to about the same price as everyone else.

So if anyone sees the Px 42 inch available in melb for a good price, please let me know!

It doesn't change the fact that the 42PX has a physical resolution of 1024x768 and that's not HD.

Again, "720 lines" is all that is required to be officially HD (yes, in aus it's 576p but nobody takes that seriously). More importantly, the 42PX plasmas do actually look quite impressive when displaying HD. Have you even seen one?

So if anyone sees the Px 42 inch available in melb for a good price, please let me know!

DSE Powerhouse Chaddy has it ticketed at $997. Extended warranty is $119 for 2 years and $169 for 4 years. Delivery $59. I said I dont have the money yet but he hinted to come on this weekend and he can squeeze those in for $1K-ish. The sale ends on the 12th Jan. Good luck!

Nope. I even tried the 'order online' option: it then liknied to a page saying this item not available. And I found it listed at (around) $1,250 on another page on the JB website... so I presume the 998 price was for a limited number of TV's and they have reverted back to about the same price as everyone else.

Yeah its a bit dodgy. I had 2 bad experiences with them. I was curious whether they have at least 1 in stock. There are about 25 stores in VIC, I was gonna give them a call one by one to ask whether they have at least one in one of them.

Maybe you can do that since you are looking for it anyway :)

I bought the 50PX80a yesterday. $1569 including the +4yr warranty.

I should have had that. I bought it for $1270 without the extended warranty. Soon after I paid them I think they realized they sold it too cheap. Hence now they said they 'mistakenly' sold my tv to someone else and offer me an upgrade or a full refund or wait for a new stock. I was furious and I am now on waiting for a new stock. So no new tv for me yet :(

I should have had that. I bought it for $1270 without the extended warranty. Soon after I paid them I think they realized they sold it too cheap. Hence now they said they 'mistakenly' sold my tv to someone else and offer me an upgrade or a full refund or wait for a new stock. I was furious and I am now on waiting for a new stock. So no new tv for me yet :(

What!!!!! they sold you 50inch for 1270, who are they?

What!!!!! they sold you 50inch for 1270, who are they?

JB! haha! I did not ask for it. I knew you would surprise, hence once I get to the office I'll scan the receipt! But yeah soon after they realized thats too cheap, instead of delivering it to my home they resold it to someone else and they told me have mistakenly sold it to else. oh well... I wish I had a ute.

What have they offered by way of an upgrade ? I'd expect it would be the Soniq.

New stock is expected to be invoiced at a higher price and they will charge you the difference. It might be wiser to just take a refund and go elsewhere.

What have they offered by way of an upgrade ? I'd expect it would be the Soniq.

New stock is expected to be invoiced at a higher price and they will charge you the difference. It might be wiser to just take a refund and go elsewhere.

If it happened to me i wouldn't be laying down so easily. He's already paid his money for a specific model at a specific price so you'd think it should be irrelevant if the new stock is invoiced at a higher price. They agreed on a price and it was their "mistake" so to speak so they should honor it at the agreed price, especially if he still has some sort of receipt or the like proving it which i dare say he has given money exchanged hands.

I don't profess to know the in and outs legally to this situation, but if it happened to me i'd at least explore my options with the ACCC to see where i stood be for i got a refund and went elsewhere.

Keep stormin' mate ! :D

This farce has already been played out with the ACCC with regards to Dell and Lenovo offering dirt cheap laptops on their website and then giving everyone a refund saying "It was a mistake". Those complaints didn't go anywhere. All that those tossers did was authorise the refunds in time.

I don't think dblazer is going to get anything out of it other than frustration and maybe even lose an opportunity to pick up the TV from elsewhere for around $149X. Prices may rise in the near future as manufacturers are looking to slug consumers with higher costs from February.

If he still wants to have a go, then the best way is to pick up the TV from Dick Smith (price matching JB's advertised $1496) because they have a 14-day change of mind policy. If JB comes up with the goods in two weeks' time, then he can return it to DSE and it's all good for $1270. However, and I think this is more likely, if the so-called consumer watchdog (ACCC) rolls over to keep a big corporation like JB happy, then at least he'll have a TV and the satisfaction of not fattening JB's wallet.

That's dodgy as, they did the exact same thing to me too.

I bought the 50" PZ80A off them for a pretty average price of 2600 inc warranty/delivery 3 weeks ago. They were supposed to delivery the following Saturday, I called them up on the delivery date to check everything's OK and then they tell me the TV's been sold to another customer.... Offered me the same choices too either do a new deal, refund or wait for stock.

The bastards didn't even call me to tell me the TV wasn't going to be delivered.

Told em to piss off and went in and got a refund.

The manager wasn't happy tho, kept trying to talk me in to a new TV saying he could do a deal, blah blah blah. On the refund receipt the refund reason they put down was "Customer changed mind"

All worked out though, go up to Dick's upstairs and got the 50" PZ800A instead for the same price, delivered 2 days later.

That's dodgy as, they did the exact same thing to me too.

I bought the 50" PZ80A off them for a pretty average price of 2600 inc warranty/delivery 3 weeks ago. They were supposed to delivery the following Saturday, I called them up on the delivery date to check everything's OK and then they tell me the TV's been sold to another customer.... Offered me the same choices too either do a new deal, refund or wait for stock.

The bastards didn't even call me to tell me the TV wasn't going to be delivered.

Told em to piss off and went in and got a refund.

The manager wasn't happy tho, kept trying to talk me in to a new TV saying he could do a deal, blah blah blah. On the refund receipt the refund reason they put down was "Customer changed mind"

All worked out though, go up to Dick's upstairs and got the 50" PZ800A instead for the same price, delivered 2 days later.

Yeah I think there are some dodgy tricks being played out at the moment, retailers want our money so they get a little dirty.

We have seen XYZ advertise 988 42inch plasma, yet when you go there it is sold out, maybe they only have to have one in stock to be technically within the law to advertise like that, but when you there they try to sell you something else...

Anyway I went for a stroll today down Melbourne Knox, looks like JB is pushing LCDs galore, could only see two plasmas next to about 15 to 20 LCDs. Then went to DSE, I think they had about 1999 for the th50px80a, with some kind of up to 20% off, so they may be able to do it close to 1500 to 1600. HN had the same advertised at special for 1595, so not bad price to start negotiating. Then went to Myer, well they too have their 15% off sale but pricess were not good to start with, But did find out they are not getting PIOs anymore, some guy wanted the 508new, could not get a new one from Pio, so Myer sold him the floor stock, dont know if Pio has run out of stock or they are not dealing with Myer anymore!!!!!!!!!

If the th50px80a drops in price further I may consider picking one or two for the bedrooms. :lol: It seems like most people I heard talking at the shops were all asking about Full HD units and getting bambuzzled by the full hd jargon coming out of the salesman, so good for us interested in this model. Most buyers are like "we dont know what we want or why we want it, BUT we know we want Full HD"!!!!!! :huh::mellow:

Edited by dlpnut

Yeah I think there are some dodgy tricks being played out at the moment, retailers want our money so they get a little dirty.

We have seen XYZ advertise 988 42inch plasma, yet when you go there it is sold out, maybe they only have to have one in stock to be technically within the law to advertise like that, but when you there they try to sell you something else...

If the th50px80a drops in price further I may consider picking one or two for the bedrooms. :lol: It seems like most people I heard talking at the shops were all asking about Full HD units and getting bambuzzled by the full hd jargon coming out of the salesman, so good for us interested in this model. Most buyers are like "we dont know what we want or why we want it, BUT we know we want Full HD"!!!!!! :huh::mellow:

Certain stores are notorious for having 5-6 TVs in stock and heavily advertising it. Big W is by far the worst of the lot and I've got into some slanging matches with their employees on this forum. I'm not surprised to see other stores following their business model.

It's a fact that most buyers don't know anything about TVs. They just want the "latest and greatest" technology. Idiots.

Purchased a TH-50PX80A from Clive Anthony in Tweed Heads on Tuesday for $1250, added in the 4 year extended warranty for $249, so $1499 all up for TV and warranty. I was a bit worried as I left it there until today to pick up and thought they might sell it to someone else, but it all worked out great, picked up that sucker this arv and it's sweet as!