Panasonic 50px80a Price

Picked up 50" px80 at JB for sticker price of 1496 + 200 for 4yr ext. warranty. Wasn't really in the mood for haggling at 8am. Sales guy tells me that there is only a $40 margin in it - who knows and I don't really care - It was stickered at 1888 4 days ago.

Set it up tonight and its awesome. Thanks to all, particularly dlpnut. This will do my bro just fine. He is rapt.

On a side note ....... Is it necessary to run in the plasma for 50 or 100 hrs with just fta before watching any dvd's or playing xbox 360?

Also, should I lower the brightness?

I have never owned a plasma before and any maintenance tips are appreciated.

Anyone have any good picture settings?? - but believe it or not I don't think the out of the box settings are too bad at all - for once!

Good to hear you and bro are happy with the pana. It may look abit big at first but you will grow into it.

With games, try taking easy in the 1st 100 hrs, dont abuse it with too much gaming, these days newer plasmas are much better built against IR/burning image retention etc, but obviously if you abuse it (this goes for any product) you may wear it out quicker. Try not leaving images in pause for long time, or have some FTA in between to normalise itself.

Edited by dlpnut

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is there $1000 difference in quality between the PX5080a and the PZ50800? The prices on the px are awesome at the moment and I've been keen to get a pana plasma for ages. Just a bit wary that the pz will blow the px away in picture quality. Also how will a px go hooked up to a pana BD35 Blu Ray?

I bought 50px80a in Canberra today. First I tried to push JB guys below $1496 quoting the price $1300. No go. They told me that they have very good sales with a ticket price and no point to drop it. 5 years warranty was around $350, not sure. Good Guys have it for $1999 but they were ready to match the price of $1496 + $299 for 5 years. Finally, I went to Bing Lee close to me and asked what is the best price they can give. They answered with $1469 and I took 5 years warranty for $309 without further haggling.

After 68 cm CRT I can't watch it closer than 5 meters ...

I bought 50px80a in Canberra today. First I tried to push JB guys below $1496 quoting the price $1300. No go. They told me that they have very good sales with a ticket price and no point to drop it. 5 years warranty was around $350, not sure. Good Guys have it for $1999 but they were ready to match the price of $1496 + $299 for 5 years. Finally, I went to Bing Lee close to me and asked what is the best price they can give. They answered with $1469 and I took 5 years warranty for $309 without further haggling.

After 68 cm CRT I can't watch it closer than 5 meters ...

Happy with it compared to CRT? I'm contemplating the same move.

I recon $300 is way too much for the warranty; the real price is probably more like $100 to the retailer, that’s where their profit margin is on the sale. Fare enough, they have to make a profit somewhere.

DSE used to offer third party extended warranty without taking a margin; I got 4 extra years cover (5 years total) on my $6500 Sony TV for $180 two year ago. I don’t see why a $1500 Panasonic should cost so much more.

$1650 with the warranty would be a good deal if you can get it.

Edited by Owen

I recon $300 is way too much for the warranty; the real price is probably more like $100 to the retailer, that’s where their profit margin is on the sale. Fare enough, they have to make a profit somewhere.

DSE used to offer third party extended warranty without taking a margin; I got 4 extra years cover (5 years total) on my $6500 Sony TV for $180 two year ago. I don’t see why a $1500 Panasonic should cost so much more.

$1650 with the warranty would be a good deal if you can get it.

That makes me happy to hear that! I initially bought the 42PX8A from HN for $1080 including 5yrs warranty. Took it home found a scratch on the screen. Went back to store, no more in until march. Upgraded to the 50PX80A for total of $1650 incl 5 yrs.

The thing is friggin HUGE after my 30cm sony, and I only sit 3m back. Will take some adjusting. I just couldnt bring myself NOT to get panasonic. The extra $570 hurt the bank, but in the end hopefully I wont need to think about upgrading for a while. I have no need for fullHD.

That makes me happy to hear that! I initially bought the 42PX8A from HN for $1080 including 5yrs warranty. Took it home found a scratch on the screen. Went back to store, no more in until march. Upgraded to the 50PX80A for total of $1650 incl 5 yrs.

The thing is friggin HUGE after my 30cm sony, and I only sit 3m back. Will take some adjusting. I just couldnt bring myself NOT to get panasonic. The extra $570 hurt the bank, but in the end hopefully I wont need to think about upgrading for a while. I have no need for fullHD.

3 meters is a good sweet spot for 50inch hd, you will notice the size will shring after couple of weeks, good choice.

So is there $1000 difference in quality between the PX5080a and the PZ50800? The prices on the px are awesome at the moment and I've been keen to get a pana plasma for ages. Just a bit wary that the pz will blow the px away in picture quality. Also how will a px go hooked up to a pana BD35 Blu Ray?

the only way to know if there's a difference is to look at it yourself - its like audio equipment - some people here a difference and it'd be painful going back - other's dont mind

imo, its not worth the price gap tho

EDIT: i'd hardly say the pz "blows away" the px - there is a slight difference, but we spent extra money on the pz for the design, not the image quality

Edited by blackraven

the only way to know if there's a difference is to look at it yourself - its like audio equipment - some people here a difference and it'd be painful going back - other's dont mind

imo, its not worth the price gap tho

EDIT: i'd hardly say the pz "blows away" the px - there is a slight difference, but we spent extra money on the pz for the design, not the image quality

Thanks Blackraven - appreciate your experience. Just went down to my local HN and had ANOTHER look!! Really couldn't see that I could mount a case to "The Treasurer" to shell out an extra $1000 for a similar picture. My theory is that I have a better bargaining position to purchase a Blu Ray player with the potential saving between px 50 and pz 50.

Thanks Blackraven - appreciate your experience. Just went down to my local HN and had ANOTHER look!! Really couldn't see that I could mount a case to "The Treasurer" to shell out an extra $1000 for a similar picture. My theory is that I have a better bargaining position to purchase a Blu Ray player with the potential saving between px 50 and pz 50.

Or ...... you could purchase a Samsung PS50A550 Full HD plasma under $2000 and grab the BD player by redemption.

Or ...... you could purchase a Samsung PS50A550 Full HD plasma under $2000 and grab the BD player by redemption.

Good option, but I would prefer the Panasonic BD35 over the Samsung Bluray player. Apparently Myer is selling the BD35 for $339.

Cheers Kulfi - another option to drive me further insane! How does the Sammy compare to the Pana?

The Sammy has better resolution. Black levels are similar. The Sammy has a 2 year warranty, the Panny doesn't.

Net price would be around $2000 if you bought 1 year extended warranty on the Panny and bought the BluRay player mentioned by diesel for $339. For the same net price, the Sammy looks like better value. Tough decision to ignore the Panny but I'm leaning towards the Samsung on this one.

Is the 50PX80A more probe to IR than the PZ800 or are both panels from the same generation? I just saw the PX seems to consume twice as much energy in cnet's test.

They are all 11th gen panels and equally prone to IR - which isn't much. FWIW, IR isn't so much an issue as it disappears after a few minuts, but Burn In is the enemy of any good screen

The Sammy has better resolution. Black levels are similar. The Sammy has a 2 year warranty, the Panny doesn't.

Net price would be around $2000 if you bought 1 year extended warranty on the Panny and bought the BluRay player mentioned by diesel for $339. For the same net price, the Sammy looks like better value. Tough decision to ignore the Panny but I'm leaning towards the Samsung on this one.

Resolution is of no consequence unless you sit very close (less then 2.5 meters) and blacks are better on the Panasonics.

Having said that the Samsung deal is still good value, not an easy choice if you want a Bluray player and need to buy today.

Hi,

1st time poster here. Was trying to create a new topic but I couldnt. Maybe coz i am new. I am not sure.

Neway I need help deciding between pana 42px80 and this 50px80.

As mentioned prices today are $1000 for 42" and $1500 for the 50". Depend on how good my bargaining skill tomolo will and my luck. those prices might include the extended warranty n delivery.

So should I just get the 42" or pay $500 more for 50"? I would watch it in 2.5m distance in my living room. I would just watch free tv and some dvds. no gaming.

They are listed; the 42" has 1024 resolution and 50" has 1366. Would that makes any difference?

Thanks heaps.

db

Edited by dblazer

Hi,

1st time poster here. Was trying to create a new topic but I couldnt. Maybe coz i am new. I am not sure.

As mentioned prices today are $1000 for 42" and $1500 for the 50". Depend on how good my bargaining skill tomolo will and my luck. those prices might include the extended warranty n delivery.

So should I just get the 42" or pay $500 more for 50"? I would watch it in 2.5m distance in my living room. I would just watch free tv and some dvds. no gaming.

They are listed; the 42" has 1024 resolution and 50" has 1366. Would that makes any difference?

Thanks heaps.

db

Go with the 50incher. If you can spare extra 500.

So should I just get the 42" or pay $500 more for 50"?

You need a post count higher than 5 to start your own thread. It's an anti spam thing I think.

I'm another vote for the 50". Once you get the 42" home, your eyes will get used to the size within a week and you'll be wishing you bought the 50" instead.

Hi,

Thanks heaps.

db

I'm considering a similar purchase although my choice is between 50px80 and the 50pz800 - but definitely a 50. Can't justify the extra $$ for marginal if any noticeable picture difference from over 2.5 metres.