Panasonic 50px80a Price

I guess getting a good price on this TV has come down to supply vs demand. We're in a low supply situation at the moment so a bit of patience may help.

I doubt if the retailers' cost price remains stagnant for a long time, otherwise we can't explain how TVs keep dropping in street price during their life cycle. Cost prices reduce on a periodic basis and this is also accompanied by RRP cuts by the manufacturer, thereby lowering the cost price yet again.

It's hard to estimate the street price of this, or any other TV in Nov/Dec. Demand is high around that time but may be accompanied by freebies, like the Sony/Samsung/LG/Sharp giveaways (all on LCDs, not plasmas) last year. That may encourage customers to buy. If retail demand keeps falling to accompany the slowdown in the economy and we have poor sales over the holiday season, the extra supplies might force retailers to sell stocks at lower prices. Then again, if the RBA cuts interest rates by another 0.25% to 0.5% over the next two months, it could send families out in a buying frenzy to spend the extra $80 that they saved on their mortgage payments.

A lot of people live in this manner - spend now and consider the consequences later. The credit providers are aware of this and launch promotions on credit cards that say "Spend in Nov/Dec and nothing to pay until Apr". I call it the "Enjoy Christmas, get crucified on Good Friday" trap. The funny thing is people like this are supposed to keep the world economy rolling ......

Thanks for this good analyse. I will try my best to keep patient.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

myer was 1650 over a month ago now plus 350 for extra 4 year warranty. 2000 with 5 years all up. this is in Melbourne. others have got better deals but usually have known someone in the store.

HN was 1800 plus 200 for the extra 4 years also. i was hoping to get it for 1800-1900 with 5 year warranty if it comes down to this 1531 that seems to be the go in Sydney. apparantly noe the olympics have finished it may go down.

anyone in Melbourne gone under $2000 with 5 year warranty in total ?

50"80a purchased at Myer chatswood $1550 inc delivery. Me and 2 mates all bought today. Young chap told me 1539 was their cost price. At first insisted we take warranty for $269 but in the end we did not take it.

Perhaps an unwise choice - plasmas break down a LOT. You might consider going back to the store and taking it.

50"80a purchased at Myer chatswood $1550 inc delivery. Me and 2 mates all bought today. Young chap told me 1539 was their cost price. At first insisted we take warranty for $269 but in the end we did not take it.

was 269 the price for total 5 yr warranty? Can i have a copy of your receipt (zn7726@hotmail.com)? I will go chatswood tomorrow and get mine if they offer the same price to me. thanks.

I brought one of these great Tvs at Domayne Belrose today. T.v was $1996 and they had a deal with a $300 gift voucher. So basically $1696 with free delivery thrown in. Brought a ex77 pana dvd 160hdd with the voucher for $425, which was about $24 cheaper than anywhere in Sydney. Pretty happy with that

That user would be me!!

Thanks kulfi.

Still weighin up between the pana and the LG. My brain says pna but the "funky furniture mind" inside of me says LG!

I know never base a TV on only cosmetics, but side by side i cant decide between them. At least i have ruled out the Samsung now. Not as good as either Pana or LG IMO.

I need it before the weekend if possible.

That user would be me!!

Thanks kulfi.

Still weighin up between the pana and the LG. My brain says pna but the "funky furniture mind" inside of me says LG!

I know never base a TV on only cosmetics, but side by side i cant decide between them. At least i have ruled out the Samsung now. Not as good as either Pana or LG IMO.

I need it before the weekend if possible.

Not the LG with the 'Glory Hole' is it??????

Not the LG with the 'Glory Hole' is it??????

That would be the Scarlet LCD. The LG PG20/PG60 plasmas have a very clean and decent look, which LG has also used on the non-Scarlet LCDs and also its new line of PC LCD monitors (thankfully).

Popular opinion is in favour of the Panasonic and looking at some of LG's build quality/tuner issues over the past year and a half, I would lean towards the Pana as well.

That would be the Scarlet LCD. The LG PG20/PG60 plasmas have a very clean and decent look, which LG has also used on the non-Scarlet LCDs and also its new line of PC LCD monitors (thankfully).

Popular opinion is in favour of the Panasonic and looking at some of LG's build quality/tuner issues over the past year and a half, I would lean towards the Pana as well.

Got my 50px80a the next day after mjb_entertainment's 'group buy' buy similar price. I got little discount on the price of their warranty. Thanks mjb_entertainment and Klufi.

I was a little surprised that Myer sells warranty from UnitedElectrical (not sure about the spelling). Don't know if you can get a good price of the warranty directly from United.

Got my 50px80a the next day after mjb_entertainment's 'group buy' buy similar price. I got little discount on the price of their warranty. Thanks mjb_entertainment and Klufi.

I was a little surprised that Myer sells warranty from UnitedElectrical (not sure about the spelling). Don't know if you can get a good price of the warranty directly from United.

What did you pay?? If you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

Is there any chance of getting a copy of the invoice??

Im buying tomorrow, i spoke to the guy today, said if i get a copy of the receipt he will match it!!

Anyone else keen, let me know.

LOL no not the glory whole.

It has just a 1 sheet of glass on the front.

model is 50PG60UD

http://au.lge.com/products/category/list/t...ratedhdtv.jhtml

VERY similar in specs to the Pana, and screen looks as good (in some cases i thought better, but still leaning towards the pana)

I got the pana for $1550 last weekend at Myer. One of my mates that purchased with me was going to buy the LG but 3 stores all told us they were not as reliable and most of the stuff ive read on the forums also agrees. Im blown away with the panasonic and think it looks great both the look of it and the picture quality now its in my lounge. The blacks were no where near as good on the LG that was the main difference.

MJB If you want the receipt let me know and ill scan and email you a copy if you give me an address. I dont think you will have to push to hard to get the price. I found it very easy at Myer chatswood.

Edited by backdoor123

I got the pana for $1550 last weekend at Myer. One of my mates that purchased with me was going to buy the LG but 3 stores all told us they were not as reliable and most of the stuff ive read on the forums also agrees. Im blown away with the panasonic and think it looks great both the look of it and the picture quality now its in my lounge. The blacks were no where near as good on the LG that was the main difference.

MJB If you want the receipt let me know and ill scan and email you a copy if you give me an address. I dont think you will have to push to hard to get the price. I found it very easy at Myer chatswood.

THANKS MATE. mjb_entertainment@hotmail.com

Just spoke to them on the phone. The guy was great. He said aslong as its above his cost he will sell it!!

I said $1550. He said no probs. Im planning on buying tomorrow. Hopefully wont take long to get delivered.

Only other prob is i wanted the panasonic HTib Setup, but looks like myer dont sell it!! So back to JB or equivilant.

Would you be willing to send me a copy as well? My email is sonicblue at exemail.com.au B)

Edited by pneu