Panasonic 50px80a Price

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any more news on availability of this TV? Mid September seems like a long time to wait.

Given the wait, perhaps this might be a good time to organise a Group Buy. I am surprised no one has organised a group buy for any of the 2008 Panasonic Plasmas.

Thanks to all who posted receipts from Myer - purchased today for $1550, they would not match the $1531 but hey, im not complaining at that price. The shelf price was $2199.

Seems to be quite a shortage, rang around Chatswood, Miranda, Roselands, City, Bondi Junction, Liverpool, Hornsby and Warringah with no luck. They were saying 3-4 week wait. Eventually picked on up at Hurstville.

Thanks to all who posted receipts from Myer - purchased today for $1550, they would not match the $1531 but hey, im not complaining at that price. The shelf price was $2199.

Seems to be quite a shortage, rang around Chatswood, Miranda, Roselands, City, Bondi Junction, Liverpool, Hornsby and Warringah with no luck. They were saying 3-4 week wait. Eventually picked on up at Hurstville.

Hi Bundagurg

Any chance you might be able to send me (socom1936@hotmail.com) a copy of your receipt?

Thanks mate

As at yesterday (16th-Aug), Myers Chadstone quoted me $349. Extra 2 year warranty was $269

Above was valid for a Panny 42" Plasma

My take on Myer - fantastic on panel prices, horrible on extended warranty. Imagine paying $1200 for the panel and then adding on 30% of its value for the warranty.

I got a similar stupid quote for the extension from them when I bought a 46" LCD for $2099. The salesman said $399 for extending the warranty from 3 years (factory) to 5 years (2 under Myer Product Cover). I politely refused the extension and paid for just the TV. I'll take my chances from 2011 onwards !

Did you check if Panasonic is selling factory warranty extensions on its website ? Sony does it and offers a cheaper price than Myer !!!

My take on Myer - fantastic on panel prices, horrible on extended warranty. Imagine paying $1200 for the panel and then adding on 30% of its value for the warranty.

I got a similar stupid quote for the extension from them when I bought a 46" LCD for $2099. The salesman said $399 for extending the warranty from 3 years (factory) to 5 years (2 under Myer Product Cover). I politely refused the extension and paid for just the TV. I'll take my chances from 2011 onwards !

Did you check if Panasonic is selling factory warranty extensions on its website ? Sony does it and offers a cheaper price than Myer !!!

Agreed!

It seems UEE give +2 for $199, thats $70 less than Myers... but wonder whether UEE has a true 'no lemon' policy, even if so, what edge the Myers warranty agency has over them...?

Will chk out yr idea of getting extended warranty directly from the Panny website, thks!

Agreed!

It seems UEE give +2 for $199, thats $70 less than Myers... but wonder whether UEE has a true 'no lemon' policy, even if so, what edge the Myers warranty agency has over them...?

Will chk out yr idea of getting extended warranty directly from the Panny website, thks!

I believe there is a way of purchasing extended warranty from Panasonic but the basic form doesn't have information on price. You'll have to call the customer care centre and ask.

I just found Pana's dead pixel policy -

An image on a LCD or Plasma TV screen is created by many small groups of dots known as pixels (which is similar to the image in a newspaper). It also naturally follows that higher panel resolutions contain more pixels. By example, a TV with a HD panel resolution of 1366 x 768 has a pixel count of 1,049,088 pixels. Similarly, a Full-HD panel resolution of 1920 x 1080 contains 2,073,600 pixels. To create a colour image, each pixel consists of three tiny coloured dots (known as sub-pixels), one each of red, green and blue. This gives a total count in excess of six million individual dots manufactured into a Full-HD panel. Each one of these dots is precisely controlled by the electronics of the TV to produce the picture.

Whilst Panasonic maintains the highest standards in manufacturing technology and processes in the construction of these panels, there are a number of allowable pixel/sub-pixel failures that still allow the panel to be defined as a good panel. It is not possible to guarantee absolutely no pixel loss.

They won't guarantee dead pixels below 0.002%, or 21 dead pixels per HD panel and 42 dead pixels per Full HD panel. This is ridiculous, especially when Samsung says 2 or more dead pixels are not tolerable. Looks pretty bad to me .......

Hi Bundagurg,

If you are able to post e-mail or PM me a copy of the receipt (theyallexist1@bigpond.com) it would be appreciated, I couldn't get Myer any lower than $1800 tonight.

Cheers

theyallexist

Hi Bundagurg

Any chance you might be able to send me (socom1936@hotmail.com) a copy of your receipt?

Thanks mate

Hi Bundagurg,

If you are able to post e-mail or PM me a copy of the receipt (theyallexist1@bigpond.com) it would be appreciated, I couldn't get Myer any lower than $1800 tonight.

Cheers

theyallexist

Will do so tomorrow or Wed, when I get home in front of my scanner. In the meantime, why dont you print out the receipts that were posted earlier in the thread and take them to Myer? Thats all I did, they were quite keen to see some proof (receipt), and once they saw it, matched it, or close to it.

i got this VIP card for clive peters that you get apparently if you spend $15k in one purchase. hadn't heard of the company but someone told me its a retail chain. it's probably some BS card, but our company has big profit for it's size and probably hooks up clive peter somewhere so they offered it to me.

i was going to see what price they do for me on one of these tvs. so $1600 seems to be the best price someones got? and $299 for a 5 year warranty.

lol clive peters is a retail chain i heard there big in melb. but they are growing pretty fast in sydney... pretty good stores havent bought anything from them tho :P

i did some research and funny enough i saw an ad on tv here in surfers, clive peters e e easy!!

might go have a look this weekend and see, because this card i got supposedly gives some mean discounts, but if 15% is considered a mean discount, i will be doing some mean laughing at the sales reps.

but i keep thinking a 60" would be more preferable for me, but you cant get much cheaper than $4500

Picked this one up for $2060 with 5 years warranty and delivery from harvey norman bella vista.

Pretty happy with the price could of got it on interest free for that price aswell other option was 1900 with standard warranty and interest free. Being delivered tomorrow :)

I thought there's no stock on this model until mid September? Or does that only apply to Myer?

Bought two at Dick Smith Powerhouse Chatswood today for $1531. I will say they were not happy at all when I showed them the receipts -particularly the one from Dick Smith PMatta. It took them an hour to get the sale approved but they eventually stuck to their price match policy -all credit to them.

May I just say thanks to all who have helped getting this price -without the site I would happily have spent $300 or $400 more -in fact would probably have bought the 42 inch for not much less money.

And also won a Lumix camera with my first receipt (god knows what I am going to do with it) -am waiting for tomorrow to try the second one as per the pana site instructions.

Edited by miro67

Bought two at Dick Smith Powerhouse Chatswood today for $1531. I will say they were not happy at all when I showed them the receipts -particularly the one from Dick Smith PMatta. It took them an hour to get the sale approved but they eventually stuck to their price match policy -all credit to them.

You are extremely lucky. I tried at DSE today as well, they were on the phone for quite a while talking to the boss presumably, and came back with a "no" saying that the receipt must have been a mistake and they shouldn't have sold at that price.

Would you be willing to post your receipt as well so I can prove to them it can be done? I really can't understand why one DSE will sell at $1531 and another won't.

They won't guarantee dead pixels below 0.002%, or 21 dead pixels per HD panel and 42 dead pixels per Full HD panel. This is ridiculous, especially when Samsung says 2 or more dead pixels are not tolerable. Looks pretty bad to me .......

Thats a bloody outrage!

Are you saying if one of their full HD panels has 41 dead pixels, they wont replace under warranty?

I did not know that.

Are you saying if one of their full HD panels has 41 dead pixels, they wont replace under warranty?

That's what it looked like to me. You can confirm the policy with Panasonic - maybe they made a typo and meant 0.0002%, which translates into 4 dead pixels for the Full HD TVs and 2 pixels for HD.

You are extremely lucky. I tried at DSE today as well, they were on the phone for quite a while talking to the boss presumably, and came back with a "no" saying that the receipt must have been a mistake and they shouldn't have sold at that price.

Would you be willing to post your receipt as well so I can prove to them it can be done? I really can't understand why one DSE will sell at $1531 and another won't.

You could just drop into DS PowerHouse Chatswood and ask face-to-face. The store will definitely have records of their own sales.

But yes, it's impossible to turn down a receipt from your own store when someone plasters it in your face, especially when you have a written price-match policy. Mind you, I've seen Harvey Norman salesmen refuse even though they have a written 30-day 110% price beat policy. When I pointed it out, they said "It's below cost and I won't let you walk out of here with that item". As if people who go there to steal items ask him to match the price ! At that point, I wanted to punch him in the face and stick his policy up his a**. Haven't bought anything from HN ever since.

Has anybody been able to get this TV at $1531 in Adelaide? If so, which store?

How about in Melbourne? Any one have any luck with that price?

Best I could get for the 50-80A was $1850, maybe $1800 if lucky. Told the guy I am buying two tv's and thats the best you can do.said $1700.. he said NO. For the 42-8A best I could get was $1300....tried jb's gg and myer.. jb's was the worst..

Almost be cheaper to hire a van and drive up to Sydney for that price....

If not might have to look at getting two Lgs instead..

Cheers

Stewie

Best I could get for the 50-80A was $1850, maybe $1800 if lucky. Told the guy I am buying two tv's and thats the best you can do.said $1700.. he said NO. For the 42-8A best I could get was $1300....tried jb's gg and myer.. jb's was the worst..

They're not being very generous. Believe me the cost price is definitely around the $1500 mark, you just have to get a good sales person on a good day and the manager in charge has to be willing to let you have one for cheap, it's just luck really. Of course it helps to be polite too.

If not might have to look at getting two Lgs instead..

Oh please don't do that.