When did I recommend a $2200 Full HD LCD ? Please read my post above where I've made it clear that it is an old model (and is now exposed as a rebadged Prima Xiamen).

The right TV to compare the Sanyo to is a Sammy A410/LG PG20D plasma. The price difference is between the Sanyo and these models is $300. I'd consider it money well spent.

Buying CRTs from K-Mart is one thing. LCDs and plasmas are best left to the biggies. You get a current-generation model, the premium isn't that much and there is peace of mind if something goes wrong.

I'm not trying to start a "thing" so whatever.

For those left without, our local Harvey Norman is selling a Celestial 42" Plasma, exact same specs as that Sanyo, for the same price TODAY ONLY.

And of course Harvey do an extended warranty. Enjoy!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to start a "thing" so whatever.

For those left without, our local Harvey Norman is selling a Celestial 42" Plasma, exact same specs as that Sanyo, for the same price TODAY ONLY.

What "thing" was I talking about ? Looks to me like you're getting people's posts mixed up.

I've read some heavenly things about the Celestial. Look at the thread "Sparkles on my plasma" for more on that saga. You can also search for user "juliashmoolia" to find the posts.

IMO there's no difference between Celestial, Sanyo, Polaroid, AWA, Soniq etc and it's not worth getting either of them to grace your lounge-room. If you're prepared to wait till after the Olympics when demand wanes slightly, you can pick up a big-brand plasma for a three-digit price.

I was going to get one of those 32" Soniq for the spare room for $499. I have not seen any big brand make a 32" as of yet. I would be more then happy to get a 42" but dont really wanna spend $1k upwards on one so thought this Sanyo would be good.

That's it. Even a cheap TV becomes expensive if you have to buy a new one every year :-)

Or buy it with a CC and add two more years of warranty on it.. TBH, in 1 year time, you feel like upgrading anyway... so spend $800 and upgrade a year later, or spend $1.5k and upgrade again a year later??

Everybody needs are different.. For some, a sub $800 TV is just the kind of thing they want.. If there isn't a market, BigW wouldn't have sold out these TVs in 30 minutes.

Buy a good HDTV if you have the need to (get that free BD player or foxtel if it's your thing), and if you just want a cheap flat panel TV, give the cheapies a go.... Everybody knows you get what you pay for, people know there are very few cheap models that's actually capable of beating top brands.

$50 saved is $50 saved. All this is moot anyway because you simply can't get this TV at BigW today anyway. :)

I was going to get one of those 32" Soniq for the spare room for $499. I have not seen any big brand make a 32" as of yet. I would be more then happy to get a 42" but dont really wanna spend $1k upwards on one so thought this Sanyo would be good.

The Soniq plasma was SD, not HD. Resolution was 852 X 480.

The person working behind the counter at BigW said they were sold out Aus. wide and that this was a one-off deal - no more stock to come. So may as well close this thread down now.

The person working behind the counter at BigW said they were sold out Aus. wide and that this was a one-off deal - no more stock to come. So may as well close this thread down now.

Big W bait and switch at it's best.

Did you guys get the flyer in the mail about this TV? It unfolded out to a huge A2-sized sheet with the ad for this TV occupying one side.

Did you guys get the flyer in the mail about this TV? It unfolded out to a huge A2-sized sheet with the ad for this TV occupying one side.

Sure did. Looked like an idiot trying to open it to full size on the bus and felt like a total idiot when I realised that after all the effort of opening it, what came out was a Sanyo !

BTW, one-fourth of the other side of the flyer was also the same Sanyo ad. Looks like Big W were completely desperate to bait-and-switch. At least they should have baited-and-switched with good stuff, like K-Mart's 37" Sony Bravia for $999.

Sure did. Looked like an idiot trying to open it to full size on the bus and felt like a total idiot when I realised that after all the effort of opening it, what came out was a Sanyo !

LOL!

Come to think of it I think it was actually A1-sized not A2. It was getting close to a 1:1 scale picture of the actual thing.

Come to think of it I think it was actually A1-sized not A2. It was getting close to a 1:1 scale picture of the actual thing.

The flyer said "Even bigger than this photo". I think I should call myself lucky they didn't send out a life-size picture !

The weird thing is that Big W's failure to deliver has played into Harvey Norman's hands. They offered their Celestial plasma and are feeding on the frustrated Big W customers.

How about this for a deal, folks ?

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...t/View/G6234GPS

Dick Smith offers a free GPS and Belkin surgeboard (collective value $487) if you buy this LG plasma for $1399.

They've also got a Conia 42" plasma for $999, though I feel the LG is far better value.

I think consumer affairs phone would have been ringing off the hook today ....

I went to 1 Big w & my girlfriend went to another when arriving there around 8.20 there was around 50 people standing inline with numbered tickets <_< Mongrels had already sold them all before even opening the doors .. Great broucher nothing to say limited supply or no rainchecks ... Just a con to get you in the store ...

I'm not sure if all stores have 40 TVs.. But i knew that would happen... Their advertising borders on bait and switch... Of course, they're expecting people to do laybys...

Bait and switch , interesting !!

I had my wife layby one this morning because shes a sub manager at our local Big W store....But the policy was not to have layby on this plasma T.V .(seems only staff had that privilege and not in every store) .....Yep the word is they sold out in every store in N.S.W by 10.30am ,even the display models went that were put out on display last night after hours . As for value for money you guys are "nuts" show me any other plasma 106cm wide screen T.V with built in high definition tuner for $750 bucks not 999 or 2,000 bucks just $750 .Thats why they sold out not "bait and switch" . The picture is absolutley incredible the units sleek and attractive who cares if it only lasts 2- 4 years .. ...For comparison My spare HT projector globe costs me 600 bucks, for another 150 bucks we have have a second T.V for the wifes Rompus room. Sorry some people missed out but that's life, I don't know whether they will be at this price again Recommended retail is 1,499

Here is another review ,interestingly it states the contrast ratio at new 30,000 to 1

Quote :-SANYO has launched of two new plasma televisions with built in HD digital tuners.

The 81cm (32 inch) has a screen resolution of 852 x 480 and a high contrast ratio of 1,200:1, while the 106cm (42 inch) has a resolution of 1024x768 and contrast ratio of 30,000:1.

Both models deliver a brightness at 550nits for the 81cm (32 inch) and 1,500nits for the 106cm (42 inch). Additionally, they offer a progressive scan function and three HDMI inputs.

Extra features in both the PDP32XS8DA and PDP42XR8DA include exceptional stereo sound, teletext and an automatic sleep timer to automatically turn off the TV. For safety, there is also a parental control function so parents can enable access to specific channels only and filter out unsuitable content.

The SANYO PDP32XS8DA ($A999) and PDP42XR8DA ($1,499) will be available in Big W stores across Australia

http://www.digitalmedia.com.au/node/1074

I think consumer affairs phone would have been ringing off the hook today ....

I went to 1 Big w & my girlfriend went to another when arriving there around 8.20 there was around 50 people standing inline with numbered tickets <_< Mongrels had already sold them all before even opening the doors .. Great broucher nothing to say limited supply or no rainchecks ... Just a con to get you in the store ...

Sorry you missed out ,it has its advantages being on staff, I don't know what consumer affairs would be able to do about only 40 plasma's being alocated to each store for sale ,,,,mmmm,,,what tell Big W they should have more available ???. As for a con to get people in store they sold out and I imagine the hundreds of people that got to the store at 8.30 am and purchased one would be taking them straight home and plugging them in, lucky them,,, " So Where's the con" if they false advertised or miss rep the product maybe but they were true to their word. I'm sure they will have another sale soon with todays success, better luck next time.

Agreed-Sony, Samsung TV's weighs less and has more up to date features.

Didnt really matter if it was good or not,,went to my local big W this morning,,10 minutes after opening,,all had gone by then,,seems they had limited stock,without rain checks,,while i was recovering from the shock a few more buyers arrived,to say they were pissed off was an understatement,the 106cm AWA plasmas they had were also snapped up,they were around $200 more,all that was left was various 81 cm plasmas,was having a limited number a marketing ploy to sell all their 106cm plasmas??.

I think Ill pass next time,seems a waste of time turning up,wonder if staff put some aside for themselves!

Sorry you missed out ---As for a con to get people in store they sold out and I imagine the hundreds of people that got to the store at 8.30 am and purchased one would be taking them straight home and plugging them in, lucky them,,, " So Where's the con" ------------
Didnt really matter if it was good or not,,went to my local big W this morning,,10 minutes after opening,,all had gone by then,,seems they had limited stock,without rain checks,,while i was recovering from the shock a few more buyers arrived,to say they were pissed off was an understatement,the 106cm AWA plasmas they had were also snapped up,they were around $200 more,all that was left was various 81 cm plasmas,was having a limited number a marketing ploy to sell all their 106cm plasmas??.I think Ill pass next time,seems a waste of time turning up,wonder if staff put some aside for themselves!

Right there is your con Advertise a discontinued model at 1/2 the usual price only have a set amount per store so when the suckers come in all excited about a new tv they end up having to buying some other tv..

If that was not the intention they would have stated limited supply etc as they have done previously

Didnt really matter if it was good or not,,went to my local big W this morning,,10 minutes after opening,,all had gone by then,,seems they had limited stock,without rain checks,,while i was recovering from the shock a few more buyers arrived,to say they were pissed off was an understatement,the 106cm AWA plasmas they had were also snapped up,they were around $200 more,all that was left was various 81 cm plasmas,was having a limited number a marketing ploy to sell all their 106cm plasmas??.

I think Ill pass next time,seems a waste of time turning up,wonder if staff put some aside for themselves!

The word is "Yes" they probably will have another sale soon for the 42" Sanyo plasma after todays success, and will try to alot more next time, they had no idea they would be so popular ....."No" staff were not allowed to have the T.V's put a side, they had to grab a token like everyone else at 8.31am after doors opened this morning,they just didn't stand in line. Only three on staff took tokens in my wifes store.

Right there is your con Advertise a discontinued model at 1/2 the usual price only have a set amount per store so when the suckers come in all excited about a new tv they end up having to buying some other tv..

If that was not the intention they would have stated limited supply etc as they have done previously

Advertise a discontinued model.." its brand bloody new only just released ,do some research " Sorrry but it sounds like sour grapes because you couldn't get one ....LIMITED SUPPLY ,Show me a Big W item that has had those words in print on a brochure (bet you can't),I can't ever remember reading one, regardless though whether some Retail stores have that inprint our not in there advertising ,tell me what number is limited stock or a set amount 20 ,40, 200 ,400(bet you can't again),and with plasma t.v's the packaging is huge do you realise how much storage space 40 plasma t.v's take up in any warehouse area .. Big W is a Department store first and foremost that carries thousands of items in stock not an electronics budget store like Wow or Goodguys. I think it only smart marketing if people purchase other T.V's while in store ( good promotions), they have a choice .... The big word is choice not con and smart people do research on a product before purchasing so they don't get conned . I personally researched on the internet last weekend and found half a dozen sites reveiwing the Sanyo 42" plasma before deciding to buy it, and that's how I now it's a brand new product with new chip technology ,I accept its not 1080p and slightly lower rez .HD , so what ,I play 1080p through my HT Projector via bluray and I purchased exactly what i researched ....In the end ,if you don't want to buy don't,I would find it insulting to be told that after purchasing a 106 AWA plasma today from BigW I've been conned.