Sanyo 42" Plasma At Big W

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don’t base any decision on quoted specs, they are BS.

Today best Plasma the Kuro LX is good for 10,000:1 contrast ratio in real world tests, everything else is MUCH lower. This re-branded Prima is going to be more like 2000:1.

Whether Sanyo / Panasonic / Pioneer specs are BS or not, it doesn't matter. You do agree that the Sanyo is going to be worse (or greyer) than the known price-competitive brands.

I thought they were the real deal Sanyo, but could be wrong?

I asked for a manual for the plasma, and they sent it almost immediately....terrific service.

Well... I'd check with my friend next monday... It should be the real japan Sanyo... Globasiation makes things a little murky, as Owen said some China factories made goods and tag on well known brands... But I think the bait&switch Sanyo is a real Sanyo product...

Whether Sanyo / Panasonic / Pioneer specs are BS or not, it doesn't matter. You do agree that the Sanyo is going to be worse (or greyer) than the known price-competitive brands.

It's worse because you are comparing a old gen tech with new gen tech.. And not because it's a Sanyo brand, and not a price-cometitive brand... It's only $800.. I'm pretty sure nobody buys it expecting it to be Kuro quality... :P

It's worse because you are comparing a old gen tech with new gen tech.. And not because it's a Sanyo brand, and not a price-cometitive brand... It's only $800.. I'm pretty sure nobody buys it expecting it to be Kuro quality... :P

I didn't compare it to the Kuro. I compared it to Samsung/LG which don't cost THAT much more, especially when you consider they're current gen panels and definitely not limited-stock items. The extremely low stock of the Sanyo makes it sound more like a runout model.

Sanyo seems to have exited the TV market as a manufacturer. They get TVs from others and re-badge them before sale. The profits will go to them but without the overhead of manufacturing or R&D. Sadly, this leads to their brand value getting eroded. While I'm not against globalisation or low-cost manufacturing, this approach is wrong. As customers, when we pay for a brand name, we associate certain values with it. We believe that we are paying for the cost of development and manufacturing while taking home a quality product. The last thing anyone wants to hear is how they got ripped off for a rebadged Prima which had zero R&D cost and manufactured for peanuts.

FYI 26" widescreen Sanyo CRT TVs grace the shelves of K-Mart in Sydney. Their PQ is poor and they can't even scale a broadcast signal to fit the screen (top and bottom chopped off). It shows how low they can go in trying to make a quick buck.

FYI 26" widescreen Sanyo CRT TVs grace the shelves of K-Mart in Sydney. Their PQ is poor and they can't even scale a broadcast signal to fit the screen (top and bottom chopped off). It shows how low they can go in trying to make a quick buck.

It just dawned on me... I had been going about this all wrong....

I should follow your footsteps and convice everybody else to buy brand name stuffs.... After all, the companies spend millions, and consumers are only spending thousands..

I'd do anything if it means i can walk into a store and just walk away with a TV for sub $800 on a saturday without queing, price haggling, and crossing swords with the sales man.. Even if it means everyb ody else have to spend big on something else.

Who am i to tell people to save money when they're better off spending a few dollars more and get a better brand?? The better brands are better, the TV itself is not important at all, because the name of the brand dictates the quality and reliability (or lack thereof) of the product.

Everybody, next time you see a Sanyo like deal, please tell everybody you know not to buy it...

BTW, totally OT, but on their main site, i came across this.. Those with Wiis might be interested in this product.

It just dawned on me... I had been going about this all wrong....

I should follow your footsteps and convice everybody else to buy brand name stuffs.... After all, the companies spend millions, and consumers are only spending thousands..

I'd do anything if it means i can walk into a store and just walk away with a TV for sub $800 on a saturday without queing, price haggling, and crossing swords with the sales man.. Even if it means everyb ody else have to spend big on something else.

Who am i to tell people to save money when they're better off spending a few dollars more and get a better brand?? The better brands are better, the TV itself is not important at all, because the name of the brand dictates the quality and reliability (or lack thereof) of the product.

Everybody, next time you see a Sanyo like deal, please tell everybody you know not to buy it...

What a dramatic post that was !

You're pretty much telling other users I'm a stooge for big brands and letting customers bleed themselves dry to keep the biggies in business.

You haven't even bought a flat panel TV yet but you show up on this forum to advise others. How honest is that ? Your excuses range from "Waiting for OLED", "Too pricey", "Current models are poor in PQ", "Big brands are just as bad/good as the little guys" and so on. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and actually buy something ? At least some of the other folks on this thread took the Sanyo/AWA home and base their arguments around their purchase.

I am neither a stooge nor a salesman for anybody. All I have been saying is if your budget is $800 to $1000, you can manage to pick up a branded current generation 42" plasma TV without lining up outside Big W and having to face disappointment.

I have no idea where this intense hatred of the big manufacturers comes from, especially when prices are down to today's levels. I can understand the old days when a 42" HD plasma cost $3000 and somebody like Big W selling a plasma for $1500 was manna from heaven. The price difference has come down to $200 now and this isn't a massive premium for a current model, with a proven track record and service backup.

Look at this link if you don't believe me -

http://shop.gameon.net.au/p/529587/samsung...--ps42a410.html

It's a Samsung 42" A410 - comes with a 2-year factory warranty and is ticketed at $1195. The LG 42" PG20 has been ticketed at $1199 for around 2 months now. Post-negotiation prices are lower still. Extended warranties are available too.

If people have this information in hand and still want to whinge about not getting a Sanyo/AWA, it's their decision.

You're pretty much telling other users I'm a stooge for big brands and letting customers bleed themselves dry to keep the biggies in business.

No no no no!!! I'm actually agreeing with you this time, and the points you guys are making are quite right... You are definitely not a stooge!!

As pointed out by others, the cheaper panels are old technology, why not spend a few hundred more and get something recent, HDMI v1.3a/b compatibility, better contrast ratios, faster refresh, lower energy consumption, lighter weight, better gamut, updated frame, updated DTV tuner, etc.. The list is just endless.. Newer is better, and it's only a few quid more... Why not? Australia is booming rich, enjoy life a little.... Don't forget the freebies that comes with a top brand too...

The cheap no-brands are simply not cheap enough when compared to the other top brands... Buying the no brands is actually not worth it (esp when you consider the freebies).. I see that now... Personally I'm after something cheap (as I don't care for the freebies).. But then as you said, cheap panels isn't what the public want, and really they should stay away from it.. This way everybody wins really.

Note also that in all my posts in this forum I try not did not give out a single advise - I don't usually give out free recommendations/advice on things I don't own or use personally (other than stay away from LG as their support is lacklustre, and the few posts where I say I really really like the 11" OLED). Even when people ask me for DTV advice I always point them to this forum (All of them end up with Sony).

I never tell anybody to ignore the top brands and go after cheap panels, I merely pointed out the irrationality that people saying the low brands have crap reliability and PQ don't actually own the said panels, or have seen one properly calibrated.

Anyway, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I'm certainly not trying to be sarcastic.. :P

Edited by treblid

• 3 weeks later...

Well, without reading the entire thread (you forum people tire me with your continual bickering), points raised are fair. In short, buying a brand name is always the better choice, however, many Australian families simply do not have the time or money to be taken for a ride by their local Harvey Norman. So as everyone opened up the big flamboyant catalog and saw this price right before the Olympics, they were instantly sold. As was I, it was only by chance we got ours as we turned up to our Big W at 8.10am, with the store opening at 8.30am, already a large queue, the manager began handing out numbered tickets at 8.20am and by 8.25am, the 20 plasma's at our store were sold, we were the 19th customer. Now we have had this for 2 weeks now, and for the price I am pleased with the picture. The opening ceremony looked stunning and plugging my Playstation 3 in, 1080p content is exceptional. This is our first plasma and for an entry level, which for the majority who bought it are in the same boat, its excellent. I have no real quams with it besides the remote, its shocking, its very unresponsive. Full time we have a Foxtel SD box plugged in by component and a DVD player by component and a mid range 5.1, it does the job fine. So to all of the poster's above, its a fine panel, may not be with the likes of a Panasonic etc. but it does the job fine, so leave it alone.

• 10 months later...
Big W has put out an ad for a 42" Sanyo PDP42RX8DA plasma, 1024x768, 3 x HDMI, 10,000:1 contrast, 15,000 cd/m2 brightness etc etc for under $800. Does anyone know anything about these? A google search on the model shows no hits. It is not listed on the Sanyo australia web site, nor sanyo.com, but does have a model number that seems consistent with their others. Could it be a rebadged cheapie?

I don't know mate,but the best plasma tv in 42 inch range is the Samsung PS42B450B1D.

It heaps better than Panasonic or LG.

Check out its on timer veiwing functions which can be timed,to the minute of your choice to turn your channel over while your watching another channel(a great way to remind you of a programme on another channel).

It's got a terrific picture in picture function veiw while in the programme guide,that lets you keep watching your programme while looking at all the other programmes and channels info.

Panasonic hasn't even got an on timer function at all in any model,or even a swivel base.

the LG on timer is crap and only turns on if the telly is off.

And the actual picture resolutions and colours and no motion blur are easily as good or even better. :)

Edited by FROSTBITES

Panasonic hasn't even got an on timer function at all in any model,or even a swivel base.

As far as I can remember, the new Pana PX10 has a swivel base.

However, I will agree with you on the fact that the Samsung B450 is the top dog amongst HD plasmas at the moment.