Sanyo 42" Plasma At Big W

Maverick11359,

You've written enough to get me started. You asked for it so here it is -

This is NOT a current model. Read the previous posts where it is exposed for what it is. It's "bloody brand new" only as far as Sanyo is concerned because the latest technology is never licensed to them. What they get are old hand-me-down factories from Samsung/LG and they use them to make these TVs. I can go on and on about the technology and we could open up this TV and show the world exactly what goes into it, to reveal the truth. The contrast ratio may be 30,000:1 but have you asked if this is dynamic ? That ratio is a real-world 6000:1, which translates into 2 generations old. As for the Digital Media review, it's just a paid site so it can be disregarded.

The one big reason why you got this TV is because your wife was able to keep one aside. A lot of mums-and-dads don't have relatives working in Big W and they aren't aware of how far their dollar goes when it comes to buying flat-screen TVs. If they knew that they could jump onto the big-name big-screen bandwagon, who could resist ? I agree that Big W's tactic isn't a 100% bait-and-switch but looking at the extremely low numbers of TVs allocated to each store, it's not very nice of them either. What Big W stores in its warehouse is their problem, not mine. If they know that there is such demand for these TVs and if there is a large supply to meet that demand, they can allocate more space. Big W can always toss out a few bags of manure (or better still, give it to your wife as a token of appreciation).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest techo_freak

Like others have said there are a few 42" Plasmas for $1200~$1300, the one I'd go for is the Panasonic which Clive Peeters had for $1299.

As for Big W, they go the sucker punch all the time, I've given up going into our local one, they never have half of what is advertised in the catalogue. Which makes you wonder if it is worth the effort to print them, but I suspect the flow through of suckers, ahem ** customers **, probably warrants the ploy!

Edited by techo_freak

look how quickly a $750 Plasma becomes a $1000 + plasma. The idiots who buy this are stupid.

This is nothing. Have a look at the iPods that are on sale. Refurbished units with full Apple 1-year warranty. Some people buy them direct from Apple (store.apple.com) and resell them on eBay, where frenzied bidding takes place and all auctions close way above what Apple sells them for. Add on excessive costs for shipping (which Apple doesn't charge) and the idiots who bought it from eBay just got robbed again.

I was informed the following as I know someone that works at Big W

Sale started on the 24th July...BUT!!! they were already on sale on the afternoon of the 23rd and some, not all were sold.

Radio Stations etc had been ringing up Big W and complaining about them not having enough as there were a SH*T load of unhappy people.

Very unlikely they will be coming back in and if they do, it will be smaller numbers then this time. (Not 100% on this one tho)

Maverick11359,

You've written enough to get me started. You asked for it so here it is -

This is NOT a current model. Read the previous posts where it is exposed for what it is. It's "bloody brand new" only as far as Sanyo is concerned because the latest technology is never licensed to them. What they get are old hand-me-down factories from Samsung/LG and they use them to make these TVs. I can go on and on about the technology and we could open up this TV and show the world exactly what goes into it, to reveal the truth. The contrast ratio may be 30,000:1 but have you asked if this is dynamic ? That ratio is a real-world 6000:1, which translates into 2 generations old. As for the Digital Media review, it's just a paid site so it can be disregarded.

The one big reason why you got this TV is because your wife was able to keep one aside. A lot of mums-and-dads don't have relatives working in Big W and they aren't aware of how far their dollar goes when it comes to buying flat-screen TVs. If they knew that they could jump onto the big-name big-screen bandwagon, who could resist ? I agree that Big W's tactic isn't a 100% bait-and-switch but looking at the extremely low numbers of TVs allocated to each store, it's not very nice of them either. What Big W stores in its warehouse is their problem, not mine. If they know that there is such demand for these TVs and if there is a large supply to meet that demand, they can allocate more space. Big W can always toss out a few bags of manure (or better still, give it to your wife as a token of appreciation).

I've read the previous posts I've also read reviews and promotions on the internet , And what I'm suppose to be scared or something because i've really got you started ....Idots like your self with half an idea or thought, believe what Joe Blow says up the street or posts on the net forums must be gospel ,,their "opinions" fool !! make your own!! Its a 750 dollar throw away TV for goodness sake aimed at lasting afew years at best. ... If you read my previous posts i explained that Staff at my wifes store had to wait and take a ticket like everyone else ,they weren't put a side , unless your now calling me a liar ,which is fine coming from someone like you ,which means.. ...let me think .... absolutelynothing. As for this last comment Quote:-

Big W can always toss out a few bags of manure (or better still, give it to your wife as a token of appreciation). Give me your private info in a personal message (direct)and you can see in person what I do to people that insult my beautifull wife ....

You can say what you like and insult me but you cross the line when you insult family, its Taboo,or arn't you brought up on the same Aussie ethical standards as every other aussie .Your probably a sad depressed little man ,thinking everyones out to get you ,wake up and smell the roses and get a life.

Mav, let it go...

Just be happy you get what the general public think is a good deal (sold out in <30 minutes)... Personally I don't like the if it's not "Samsung/Sony, it's crap" mentality.. The "If it's not made in Japan/Korea, it's crap" argument may have some truth in it, but really it's not what they think. Electronics today are not like electronics 20 years ago, esp if they want to sell in Europe.

Sure the Sanyo is older gen plasma tech, but people spending <$1k aren't after the latest/greatest...

Australia is booming and if they want to spend $2k+ on a TV, so be it.. The resale value of your panel is higher (should you choose to sell it 2-3 years down the road, if it still works that is), because it depreciates a lot slower... In five years time when you can't re-use it or sell it, your heart will feel less painful when you leave it on the streets.. And if it breaks between then, meh, just get a new one.

If this thing don't break down in 3 years, you already got your money's worth... So just let it go.. :)

FWIW, my friend got one... And she don't work for BigW.. Still, queuing up in freezing cold winter morning to buy something at $800 is something I wil never do.. I still call this BigW deal a bait and switch...

Guest mickoh

TRADE PRACTICES ACT 1974 - SECT 56

Bait advertising

(1) A corporation shall not, in trade or commerce, advertise for supply at a specified price, goods or services if there are reasonable grounds, of which the corporation is aware or ought reasonably to be aware, for believing that the corporation will not be able to offer for supply those goods or services at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable having regard to the nature of the market in which the corporation carries on business and the nature of the advertisement.

(2) A corporation that has, in trade or commerce, advertised goods or services for supply at a specified price shall offer such goods or services for supply at that price for a period that is, and in quantities that are, reasonable having regard to the nature of the market in which the corporation carries on business and the nature of the advertisement.

________________________________________________________________________________

Straight from the ACCC website

Holding sales and advertising discounted goods are an excellent way of getting customers into your store;

however, it is important that consumers have a fair chance of actually buying the goods advertised.

The Trade Practices Act 1974 (the Act) contains rules that prevent ‘bait advertising’—advertising of certain goods,

often at special prices, primarily to bring customers into a store without suffi cient stock to supply the sale goods.

Bait advertising carries serious penalties under the Act.

Retailers should only make special offers when they have suffi cient stock to satisfy the expected level of demand—

or ensure that consumers are aware that stock is limited before they make the trip to the shop.

Bait advertising

What is bait advertising?

Bait advertising generally occurs when a business advertises goods at a certain price but does not have a reasonable supply of the goods for customers to buy.

This can often be an honest mistake—for example, when demand for a particular product is much higher than expected and the retailer genuinely runs out of stock.

However, sometimes a business will advertise goods at extremely low prices to entice customers into their store, knowing full well they have only a handful of the sale items in stock.

The purpose is to switch consumers from buying the advertised merchandise to buying something else, often at a higher price. This is commonly called a ‘bait and switch’ scam.

The ‘bait’ is the attractive offer used to lure customers into the store. When customers arrive they are told that the item has sold out and are then urged to buy other higher priced or lower quality goods.

The law

If retailers advertise goods at a specific price, they should ensure they have reasonable quantities of the good available for customers to buy for a reasonable period of time.

If there is not a reasonable chance that the goods will be available at the advertised price, the business may have broken the law.

Retailers should be able to show that they made the offer in good faith and had reasonable stock to meet the likely demand for the advertised goods for the

length of the promotion.

What is reasonable?

What is ‘reasonable’ will depend on the type of product on special and the length of the sale—a reasonable supply of dishwashers will differ from a reasonable

supply of tea towels. It may also depend on the terms of the sales advertising and the previous sales experience of the trader.

Always be upfront about limited supply

When advertising specials, be upfront if the item is in short supply or on sale for a limited time. If stock is genuinely limited, such as in a clearance sale, say so in the advertisement. If the offer is for a limited time, state this in a highly visible, clear and specific manner.

Retailers can nominate the time forwhich an offer is available. However, any restrictions must be clearly stated. For example statements like ‘TODAY ONLY’,

‘WEEKEND SPECIAL’ or ‘ONLY UNTIL (some stated date)’ are acceptable but must be clear to the consumer.

A statement like ‘WHILE STOCKS LAST’ may seem innocent enough, but it may be considered bait advertising if you don’t have sufficient stock to cater to the likely demand your advertising will bring.

There are times when a business cannot reasonably know that the item advertised will not be available for a reasonable

time—for example, if other retailers of the product had sold out and demand for it was unusually high or if the manufacturers

were unexpectedly no longer able to produce the item.

Judging demand for a promotion

When running a sales promotion or campaign, it may be difficult to judge the amount of stock needed. To determine likely demand, consider previous

campaigns and also how your business will respond if the demand overwhelms supply. Don’t ignore the fact that intense

advertising campaigns, such as catalogue sales, could generate high levels of

customer interest.

Determining what would be a reasonable supply of stock can be difficult. A business may underestimatedemand for a product and sell out if faced

with more customers than they reasonably expected. The Act makes allowances for this kind of situation. Businesses should, however, be able to demonstrate that the higher demand was unexpected and that they moved quickly to correct the situation to show that the offer was sincere.

Offering rainchecks means customers can still get the special deal even though the current stock has run out. Retailers

should clearly and visibly state in an advertisement that rainchecks are not available if they are unsure about their

ability to replenish stock and are therefore unable to safely offer rainchecks. If the customer agrees, the retailer may choose

to offer an equivalent product for the same price.

Determining what would be a reasonable supply of stock can be difficult. A business may underestimatedemand for a product and sell out if faced

with more customers than they reasonably expected.

Case closed then. Having around 15 or so of this particular Sanyo panel in every store for the sale was probably a reasonable quantity.

Case closed then. Having around 15 or so of this particular Sanyo panel in every store for the sale was probably a reasonable quantity.

Granted it's big and bulky but having only 15 per store and you can't order it after it's sold out is unreasonable.

1) No prominent words saying this TV is limited stock

2) No update on the website this thing is sold out

People who just received their flyers will still flock to BigW without calling first will only get disappointment, a percentage may just buy something since they're already there. In fact, merely attracting crowds into BigW is good business..

Granted it's big and bulky but having only 15 per store and you can't order it after it's sold out is unreasonable.

1) No prominent words saying this TV is limited stock

2) No update on the website this thing is sold out

People who just received their flyers will still flock to BigW without calling first will only get disappointment, a percentage may just buy something since they're already there. In fact, merely attracting crowds into BigW is good business..

Its Ok to say people its sour grapes you missed out,but many people went out of their way to drop into a store and get one of these,many people in the store I went to were pissed off,but most were speechless from shock.

I believe if this plasma is put on sale again at big W,with more in stock,it will be priced above what the one yesterday was,also I may add,staff talked to unhappy customers in a way that to me proved this problem with customers was expected.

Its Ok to say people its sour grapes you missed out,but many people went out of their way to drop into a store and get one of these,many people in the store I went to were pissed off,but most were speechless from shock.

I believe if this plasma is put on sale again at big W,with more in stock,it will be priced above what the one yesterday was,also I may add,staff talked to unhappy customers in a way that to me proved this problem with customers was expected.

Seems a lot of places are selling sub $1000 plasmas this week,great timing with olympics not far away,and them being televised in HD,Ive noticed a big demand for HD set top boxes too,wonder if big W will come up with another price break through,the sub $100 HD set top box,with duel hard drives,,I wont be turning up if they do.

I missed out on the sanyo,but have got a slightly smaller 37 LCD Tevion television,Dont know if its my reception,but the pic I get on the HD tuner in that,was better than all I saw at BigW,,sure maybe some people will say Tevion is crap too,and is a throw away,but I know a guy who payed $10,000 when plasmas first came out,stuffed up after his warranty expired,so It can happen to anything regardless of price,,Most people dont have a spare $1500/$2000 lfor the so called big brands,so they have to make do with these cheaper models,I cant justify spending 2 grand on just a television,people with cash to throw around might,but their lucky.

Speechless from shock?? They obviously never shopped at BigW before. hee hee..

So how many here have this TV? Set it up yet?? is the PQ as bad as some prophetised it to be?

Gee...I think a couple of chill pills are needed here fellas.... ;)

How's about just letting the discussion get back to the panel itself, and allow the buyers to let us know what they think of the unit, or why they thought it a good idea to purchase.

We all have perceptions of what is good and bad, and sometimes it is very disturbing to hear how one owner denegrates the other for buying a product the other member believes to be rubbishy or cheap. Some people just can't afford the extra money for the better item, and have to go for that one. Perhaps we could, where known, suggest an alternative at a close price, or other than that, explain the items short comings, in a less derogatory way, without insulting the person for raising the question in the first instance?

This site is a great source of information resource, with many wise members, and I enjoy my visits here to get input and information. I do get a little distressed though, when we get to a point where members are slugging it out in a personal way.

Whose brilliant idea was it to sing praises of the TV, say it was the latest model and then say it's all good because his wife and her mates picked up the TVs at the expense of normal customers ?

I used to laugh when it happened in other countries - for example the Chinese stock market's grand opening in Shenzhen years ago - thousands of people queued all around their CBD and when the doors opened, all stocks had already been sold ! It's sad to see the same happening in our lucky country ......

All I've been trying to express over the past 2-3 days is that this TV wasn't such a prized catch (or loss). $750 for a Sanyo is not that cheap. For a few dollars more, there are better TVs on the market. If you noticed, I haven't been pushing $2200 LCDs like some other users. I understand the feelings of people who want to buy this TV (or a similarly priced unit) and their limited budget. My own budget wasn't very high when I bought my first flat-screen TV. Incidentally, that one is an Acer AT3220 LCD, which I got from OfficeWorks in Mar '07 for $898. Didn't use the $99 cashback and got the warranty extended for 5 years by the factory. For that kind of money and a 5-year warranty, I'm completely covered. The Sanyo doesn't offer the same peace of mind and certainly not when it is a rebadged Prima-something.

I leave the decision to the readers - should you feel upset about not getting a $748 Sanyo plasma or picking up the AWA 42" plasma for $999 (or for whatever Big W has ticketed it now) ? Not when you can wait till X'mas '08 and pick up a Samsung / LG / maybe even a Panasonic for the same amount. Alternately, you could shell out $200-$300 more and pick them up right now. There have been reports of Panasonic PX7As on runout for $900.

Bait and Switch .

Pure and simple , I don't bother with big chains bullshit marketing .

Unless they don't have "no rainchecks" under the item you want it's a bullshit plot to suck you into their marketing lair .

Some may call that cynical , I'd call it reality :)

Edited by troyww

Based on the specs,

1) A contrast ratio of 10000:1 (assuming static) is a lot lower than others on the market right now. Samsungs and LGs boast of 25000:1 static CR.

2) 160-degree viewing angle is worse than current-model plasmas which boats 176-degree angles

3) The name PDP428XRDA looks like a deliberate attempt to imitate the Pioneer 428XDA

4) The weight of 41 kg is the giveaway that it's an outdated panel. Current generation 42" plasmas weigh around 30 kg.

You get what you pay for so for those who want to buy it, go ahead but don't expect much.

Don’t base any decision on quoted specs, they are BS.

Today best Plasma the Kuro LX is good for 10,000:1 contrast ratio in real world tests, everything else is MUCH lower. This re-branded Prima is going to be more like 2000:1.

It looks tempting for a second set. The specs on that look the same as a 42" Panny I rejected at xmas that was $1497.

Don’t go on BS specifications, the 7 series Panasonics are a much better TV’s then these crappy Primas and worth double the money.

Will there be much difference viewing 1024x768 plasma res vs 1366x768 lcd res for my eyes?

No, the number of pixels is not relevant, the “quality” of the pixels is.

Sanyo are a middle class brand for us middle class men.

As far as I know the name “Sanyo” has been bought by the Chinese to market cheap and cheerful products under a well know name. The same goes for a lot of other once well known European brands now purchased and used by Chinees manufactures, they have no connection with the original company.

Sanyo is now a “ho flung dung” brand, nothing more, same as Prima or Konca.

Big W are great at the bait and switch.

I bought a 4Gb mp3 player from there a month ago for $50 less than the RRP. I was there 10 minutes before opening and was able to be the first person to the desk. They had about 5 of the players in stock.

After I finished paying for mine there were about 7-8 people lining up behind me.

As far as I know the name “Sanyo” has been bought by the Chinese to market cheap and cheerful products under a well know name. The same goes for a lot of other once well known European brands now purchased and used by Chinees manufactures, they have no connection with the original company.

Sanyo is now a “ho flung dung” brand, nothing more, same as Prima or Konca.

And you based your knowledge on?? Every big company makes their products in China because the labour/transport costs is so cheap there...

Are you taking about this Sanyo or another? If this TV is under the Sanyo brand, why is there no connection with the original company?

Back on topic.. So I guess nobody here managed to get this TV??