Sanyo 42" Plasma At Big W

Big W has put out an ad for a 42" Sanyo PDP42RX8DA plasma, 1024x768, 3 x HDMI, 10,000:1 contrast, 15,000 cd/m2 brightness etc etc for under $800. Does anyone know anything about these? A google search on the model shows no hits. It is not listed on the Sanyo australia web site, nor sanyo.com, but does have a model number that seems consistent with their others. Could it be a rebadged cheapie?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big W has put out an ad for a 42" Sanyo PDP42RX8DA plasma, 1024x768

I not sure on the exact model, but from what I read 1024x768 is a 4:3 ratio, not the standard 16:9. 1366x768 wide screen resolution of more reputable well known brands.

Big W has put out an ad for a 42" Sanyo PDP42RX8DA plasma, 1024x768, 3 x HDMI, 10,000:1 contrast, 15,000 cd/m2 brightness etc etc for under $800. Does anyone know anything about these? A google search on the model shows no hits. It is not listed on the Sanyo australia web site, nor sanyo.com, but does have a model number that seems consistent with their others. Could it be a rebadged cheapie?

All I could find for you is a press release on the smarthouse website

Click Here

The specifications are very similar to the current LG plasma TV's and it wouldn't surprise me if they are a re-badged model.

I not sure on the exact model, but from what I read 1024x768 is a 4:3 ratio, not the standard 16:9. 1366x768 wide screen resolution of more reputable well known brands.

All LCD TV's and most plasma TV's have square pixels. An exception is 1024x768 plasma TV's which have rectangular pixels which enable them to show 16:9 widescreen images even though they have a 4:3 nominal ratio screen.

Hook them up to a PC and it will attempt to display a 4:3 image which ends up being stretched to fit the 16:9 screen.

show me a 42 inch plasma that isnt 1024x768 - rectangular pixels (ignoring full hd)

1366x768 is 50 inch

All I could find for you is a press release on the smarthouse website

Click Here

The specifications are very similar to the current LG plasma TV's and it wouldn't surprise me if they are a re-badged model.

Thanks Glider. At least it confirms Woolworths is not bringing in something themselves direct from another market.

What do you guys think of it im interested in buying one. it seems alright? What do you reckon?? How would it compare to the lg's,panasonic's,lg's etc??

$1100 gets you the LG or Samsung 42" plasma. You may even be able to pick up a Panny PX7 on runout for under $950. Under these circumstances, better to avoid Sanyo.

What do you guys think of it im interested in buying one. it seems alright? What do you reckon?? How would it compare to the lg's,panasonic's,lg's etc??

I too would like to know some opinions as I might be interested in getting one as well :)

Edit - Wish you could take out an extended warranty on it tho :(

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

here are the specs:

Sanyo

42" (106cm) PLASMA TV

Built in HD Tuner

Resolution: 1024x768

Slim, Stylish Design

HDMI input (x3)

High contrast and brightness: 10,000:1, 1500cd/m2

Sleep Timer

10W x 2 Channel (RMS)

S-video, L/R RCA for S-video or AV/HDMI/DSUB

Stereo

Progressive SCAN

160 Degree viewing angle

RCA audio output L/R RCA for Video out

Earphone jack, stereo mini phone jack

Teletext

Table stand

Parental control

Net weight: 41kg

1-year warranty

PDP42XR8DA

Doesnt look that great but hey you get what you pay for

Edited by pauldaw

Based on the specs,

1) A contrast ratio of 10000:1 (assuming static) is a lot lower than others on the market right now. Samsungs and LGs boast of 25000:1 static CR.

2) 160-degree viewing angle is worse than current-model plasmas which boats 176-degree angles

3) The name PDP428XRDA looks like a deliberate attempt to imitate the Pioneer 428XDA

4) The weight of 41 kg is the giveaway that it's an outdated panel. Current generation 42" plasmas weigh around 30 kg.

You get what you pay for so for those who want to buy it, go ahead but don't expect much.

It looks tempting for a second set. The specs on that look the same as a 42" Panny I rejected at xmas that was $1497.

What to do, what to do?

Will there be much difference viewing 1024x768 plasma res vs 1366x768 lcd res for my eyes?

Sanyo are a middle class brand for us middle class men.

Edited by Swish

It is a rebadged 'Prima brand' plasma from China.

Its a Genuine Sanyo,got from sanyo site

Visual | PDP42XR8DA

Select a Category and a Model

PDP42XR8DA, 106CM PLASMA TELEVISION

106cm LCD WIDESCREEN TV

* HD digital tuner

* Resolution: 1024 x 768

* Signal compatibility: 1080i/p; 720p; 480i/p

* High contrast: 30,000:1

* Brightness: 1500 nit

* Stereo

* Progressive scan

* 160 degree viewing angle

* 8ms response time

* Terminals: HDMIx3; Componentx2; Compositex2; VGA(D-sub); Digital audio out (coaxial); L/R RCA for audio out; Earphone jack

* Sleep timer

* Teletext

* Table stand

* Parental control

* Weight: 41kg

* Dimensions (WxHxD): 1246 x 731 x 305

* Warranty Period: 12 months repair warranty (Australia only)

* EAN: 4994334251985

Australia

Retailer: Big W

(Australia only)

"Retail prices stated by Sanyo are recommended only without you or anyone else obliged to follow them.RRP are valid at the date of publication only. Prices are subject to change without notice

Guest Notsure
It is a rebadged 'Prima brand' plasma from China.

It is indeed a re-labelled item from Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co.,Ltd., which manufactures "Prima" brand. Their Model No. is PH-42HE6. If you ask for an instruction manual for PDP42XR8DA from Sanyo you will receive a specification sheet (apparently created by Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic Co.,Ltd. R&D Department) which will provide all these details.

I recommand you purchase Sony or Samsung LCD, Full HD LCD TV with bonus PS3 or Samsung Bluray player and could be get it around $2000 $2200 at JB Hifi and Powerhouse. In these day better get a Full HD TV since the price have drop and the promotions is quite attractive.

Just a heads up - I went in at 9.00am today to get one of these, they sold out. All stores got 40 TV's in, people must've been cueing up at 8.30 to get one.

And for people who are saying "I recommend full hd lcd blah blah", there is a market for ultra cheap, ultra big TVs you know, to a lot of people there's a big difference between $800 and $2200. We don't all need the latest and greatest, just something big and cheap to get by.

(I buy my TVs from Kmart)

Just a heads up - I went in at 9.00am today to get one of these, they sold out. All stores got 40 TV's in, people must've been cueing up at 8.30 to get one.

And for people who are saying "I recommend full hd lcd blah blah", there is a market for ultra cheap, ultra big TVs you know, to a lot of people there's a big difference between $800 and $2200. We don't all need the latest and greatest, just something big and cheap to get by.

I agree, but there are other cheap big TVs that might be better. Does the Soniq come with a built in HD Turner? also does this Sanyo have an extended warranty option inside the box? as Big W does not, thats the down fall for me, 1 year warranrty :(

So has anyone purchased one yet or has seen one going to comment on it and tell me if Sanyo offer extended warranty via mail

Edited by DR.ZOIDBERG

I'm not sure if all stores have 40 TVs.. But i knew that would happen... Their advertising borders on bait and switch... Of course, they're expecting people to do laybys...

When did I recommend a $2200 Full HD LCD ? Please read my post above where I've made it clear that it is an old model (and is now exposed as a rebadged Prima Xiamen).

The right TV to compare the Sanyo to is a Sammy A410/LG PG20D plasma. The price difference is between the Sanyo and these models is $300. I'd consider it money well spent.

Buying CRTs from K-Mart is one thing. LCDs and plasmas are best left to the biggies. You get a current-generation model, the premium isn't that much and there is peace of mind if something goes wrong.