Sign in to follow this  
pengoau

Sharp, Sony Or Samsung 46" Lcd Hdtv?

To Allan c & Chengsta, Hi there. I'll try & repeat something I posted somewhere b4 but can't remember where.

I have had my heart set on a Sony 46 x, but can't bring myself to spend the money. Then I recently met an ex-salesman from Harvey Norman here in Adelaide.

He completely recommended the Toshiba above any other brand. Due to the fact that he is an "ex" employee, I have no reason to doubt him at all.

I had a quick look in the shops & I did'nt think it matched up to the Sony, but I know store set-ups can be average.

Your positive reports have rekindled my interest as the price is much better. So I'm really keen to here any updated reports if either of you would be so kind to provide them.

Mark

To Allan c & Chengsta, Hi there. I'll try & repeat something I posted somewhere b4 but can't remember where.

I have had my heart set on a Sony 46 x, but can't bring myself to spend the money. Then I recently met an ex-salesman from Harvey Norman here in Adelaide.

He completely recommended the Toshiba above any other brand. Due to the fact that he is an "ex" employee, I have no reason to doubt him at all.

I had a quick look in the shops & I did'nt think it matched up to the Sony, but I know store set-ups can be average.

Your positive reports have rekindled my interest as the price is much better. So I'm really keen to here any updated reports if either of you would be so kind to provide them.

Mark

Sony is still really overpriced for an outdated panel imo. Seems you can get some good deals on the Samsung series 6 and the tv looks great. I have friends that have both these sets and the Samsung is by far better in my eyes.

How much can the Toshiba be had for? In the past they have made some very good AV gear, so I would assume this tv wouldn't be any different. (As long as the price is right.)

Wags and mdm

Yes - you do have to fool around with the settings in store so that you are comparing like with like on different Tv's. I went early on a weekday so there was less store traffic.

As Allan C said, he'd got a price from Bing Lee for $2600 which Myer were prepared to price match. On top of that (up to today) Toshiba were offering an extra 3 yr warranty + $250 cash back on the 46xv500a (plus the Wii which was the deciding factor, apart from PQ and the fact that it has a matt panel - our family room has doors/skylight facing the TV)

Make sure that you are not comparing the sony to the 42xv500a. There is a huge difference between the 42" version and the 46" because the panel specs aren't the same. To me the 42" was substantially poorer in quality and I wouldn't get one. The Sony W4000 series easily beats this.

The alternative (in my view) would be the panasonic plasma or samsung 6 at around this price level (if you wanted a 46").

I'd happy to report back once I've set ours up. The only negative that I can see is that it has less inputs than other TVs - only 1 set each of svideo and composite compared with 2 for most others, and the s-video is on the side. Not so much an issue for me as I use a separate input switcher (made by Joytech which performs great and looks good but which unfortunately is no longer available).

Wags and mdm

Yes - you do have to fool around with the settings in store so that you are comparing like with like on different Tv's. I went early on a weekday so there was less store traffic.

As Allan C said, he'd got a price from Bing Lee for $2600 which Myer were prepared to price match. On top of that (up to today) Toshiba were offering an extra 3 yr warranty + $250 cash back on the 46xv500a (plus the Wii which was the deciding factor, apart from PQ and the fact that it has a matt panel - our family room has doors/skylight facing the TV)

Make sure that you are not comparing the sony to the 42xv500a. There is a huge difference between the 42" version and the 46" because the panel specs aren't the same. To me the 42" was substantially poorer in quality and I wouldn't get one. The Sony W4000 series easily beats this.

The alternative (in my view) would be the panasonic plasma or samsung 6 at around this price level (if you wanted a 46").

I'd happy to report back once I've set ours up. The only negative that I can see is that it has less inputs than other TVs - only 1 set each of svideo and composite compared with 2 for most others, and the s-video is on the side. Not so much an issue for me as I use a separate input switcher (made by Joytech which performs great and looks good but which unfortunately is no longer available).

Thanks so much, I'll look forward to reading your reports.

Mark

Wags and mdm

$2350, extra warranty AND a wii, that sounds like a vary good deal chengsta, well done!

Wags

If you are serious about the Tosh XV500A 46" then I would get down to Clive Peeters before Sunday as they have it for an unbelievable $2199 after $250 cashback and the 5 year warranty still applies.

It's an excess stock sale they have 20% off the set + cashback + extended warranty.

http://www.clivepeeters.com.au/files/uploa...lus_sale_ad.pdf

Great TV and at this price too good to pass up.

That's pretty good. But if anyone is interested they should get the salesman to confirm in writing that you will get the cash back + warranty as the Toshiba offer expired on Tuesday and their website doesn't have any updated offers. Just so you don't caught off guard.

I was at my local Clive Peeters last night and the manager there said the cashback and warranty offer is still on exclusively with clive peeters stores until Sunday! But asking your local store wouldnt hurt because the salesman last night had no clue of the promotion.

Sometimes I hate living in Adelaide, no Clive Peeters here!

Hi guys after listening to the advice from this forum, picked up the Toshiba 46XV500A from Clive Peters with the special on today for $2199 after cashback, TV is great, but for those of you who have one, did you get a warranty card or details on how to register for the $250 rebate? Checked the box through & through and the only thing it came with was the instruction manual. Am I missing something or is this normal?

Hi guys after listening to the advice from this forum, picked up the Toshiba 46XV500A from Clive Peters with the special on today for $2199 after cashback, TV is great, but for those of you who have one, did you get a warranty card or details on how to register for the $250 rebate? Checked the box through & through and the only thing it came with was the instruction manual. Am I missing something or is this normal?

see the Toshiba website http://www.isd.toshiba.com.au/redemption/r_index.asp

it's done online.

Hi Chengsta and Allan C,

You've had your 46XV500A's for a little while now.

May I pick your collective brains a little bit before I take the plunge on one of these units (currently own a Toshiba 36JW9UA CRT and I am very happy with it - just want a bigger screen).

How have you found the integrated HD digital tuner so far? How is the DTV PQ, and speed of channel changes?

How is the PQ during fast moving scenes in movies and on DTV such as sports?

Have either of you connected to Blu-ray yet? If so what are your thoughts?

Many thanks in advance for any comments! :)

Mark

But WHY did the salesman recommend the Toshiba above all others? More info, please!

Hi Chengsta and Allan C,

You've had your 46XV500A's for a little while now.

May I pick your collective brains a little bit before I take the plunge on one of these units (currently own a Toshiba 36JW9UA CRT and I am very happy with it - just want a bigger screen).

How have you found the integrated HD digital tuner so far? How is the DTV PQ, and speed of channel changes?

How is the PQ during fast moving scenes in movies and on DTV such as sports?

Have either of you connected to Blu-ray yet? If so what are your thoughts?

Many thanks in advance for any comments! :)

Hi Glenn

Tv is great & both the Boss & myself are very happy with it so far.

There are a couple of minor issues

One is the red standby light takes about 4 seconds to change to green when switching on. I was off to a bad start when I powered it up for the first time as nothing happened on the first press & the second press of the on button on the remote switched it off.. Just press the on button & wait.

Second issue is that more AV inputs would be nice but as yet I have no HDMI toys to connect. So now looking for a HD PVR to replace my standard def unit.

The built in HD tuner is good & easy to setup. Channel swapping is fast about a second or so.

The HD picture quality is fantastic depending on the program material being transmitted at the time.

I have an antenna pointing to Wollongong as well as Sydney & WIN HD often has their Demo HD clip running instead of adverts. The picture quality of their demo clip is stunning shows how good a picture can be transmitted. They show Hi definition scenery video from all over Australia.

As for the fast moving scenes in movies & sports I havent noticed any blurring of the image. I have nothing to compare against here at home but did notice it when a salesman pointed it out when comparing a plasma & another elcheapo brand LCD set.

It was hard to pick the difference at the shop & this set is 100 Hz & supposed to minimise LCD lag.

Some of the Sony sets suffered from clouding or flashligting on dark screens but no such problem on the Toshiba so far also no noisy fans like the sonys. You cant hear anything when the sound is muted.

Overall I am very happy. I got it for a good price & would recommend to anyone interested or who cant decide.

Best Rgds Al

But WHY did the salesman recommend the Toshiba above all others? More info, please!

Well it was a while ago really. Definately expressions such as "better picture than Sony/Pana but not paying for the name...." & " toshiba were first with lcd technology......." & "i've got one and luv it....." etc

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I did'nt pay that much attention until I noticed the chaps talking about Toshiba on DTV.

I am looking to buy Toshiba 46XV500A, does anyone know where I can get a good deal?

I am in Sydney.

I am looking to buy Toshiba 46XV500A, does anyone know where I can get a good deal?

I am in Sydney.

Read the previous posts on this thread, to get the full Toshiba deal details. It doesn't hurt to go through a couple of pages.