New Software For Toppy 7000 Looks Promising

Still getting the no signal via hdmi from a cold start. I have to turn the unit off and on again for it to start working.

That would be irritating.

But do follow John's suggestion and ring Jimmy on 1300 766 440. Worst case scenario he will pay for your unit to go to him and be examined.

John

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do i get the new firmware when i go to the site it wont let me go any further it comes up error i brought my 7000 on thurs it to won't start up from cold start on hdmi have to go back and forth through the inputs then it starts

jamie

how do i get the new firmware when i go to the site it wont let me go any further it comes up error i brought my 7000 on thurs it to won't start up from cold start on hdmi have to go back and forth through the inputs then it starts

jamie

I'll email it to you if you contact me at j_coulson@[miss this out}bigpond.com. The new FW has been taken off the official site.

John

I'll email it to you if you contact me at j_coulson@[miss this out}bigpond.com. The new FW has been taken off the official site.

John

sent adress if prob send to jamiew64@yahoo.com.au

thanks tassie do you live in tassie if so i do to

sent adress if prob send to jamiew64@yahoo.com.au

thanks tassie do you live in tassie if so i do to

It has not come through, possibly because I've been messing about installing new spyware. Anyway it is now on its way but please be careful about publishing your email address without something like [miss this out] in the middle as you give it to the scammers.

I'm in N.Tassie outside Launceston on the East Tamar. Where are yoiu?

John

Angelo - there must be something different about your setup - there are lots of people using HDMI with no issues. Can you describe your setup - are you going straight to the TV? Are you going through an amp? Are you using DVI? Do you start your equipment in any specific order?

And the big one - have you told Topfield about it?

cheers,

John

Nothing different with my set up . Its straight HDMI from the Toppy to the Plasma. Tried diffent leads, plasmas and connections but its still there. No I havent tried telling Topfield about. Its 2 months out of warranty will they still listen ?

Nothing different with my set up . Its straight HDMI from the Toppy to the Plasma. Tried diffent leads, plasmas and connections but its still there. No I havent tried telling Topfield about. Its 2 months out of warranty will they still listen ?

Groover ; as deangelj says ;the startup order is important [if you havent tried it ?] . The plasma is first so the edid handshake can be rock solid ;then the toppy . Never had this problem with component <_< . My beyonwiz makes me appreciate a long boot up time . ;)

Groover ; as deangelj says ;the startup order is important [if you havent tried it ?] . The plasma is first so the edid handshake can be rock solid ;then the toppy . Never had this problem with component <_< . My beyonwiz makes me appreciate a long boot up time . ;)

Yep plasma is always first and no it only happens on HDMI only. Component is fine.

Maybe - you can't lose anything by trying.

Hi all,

I've just purchased one of these units and was wondering what is generally considered the best currently available firmware version?

I'm currently running 0.99.70 but have read this isn't very stable. Same with 0.99.72.

I've read so much about various problems with different firmware versions that my head hurts.

It's been suggested elsewhere that 0.99.60 or 0.99.20 have fewer problems. Is that correct and if so, where can I download them?

Also I'm surprised at how hot it runs. I knew beforehand it ran quite hot, but this seems excessive to me.

Has anyone here tried to install a fan and if so how successful was it?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi all,

I've just purchased one of these units and was wondering what is generally considered the best currently available firmware version?

I'm currently running 0.99.70 but have read this isn't very stable. Same with 0.99.72.

I've read so much about various problems with different firmware versions that my head hurts.

It's been suggested elsewhere that 0.99.60 or 0.99.20 have fewer problems. Is that correct and if so, where can I download them?

Also I'm surprised at how hot it runs. I knew beforehand it ran quite hot, but this seems excessive to me.

Has anyone here tried to install a fan and if so how successful was it?

Thanks,

Rob

Rob, the latest is the best - if you can find a copy of 99.80 I'd go with that - go over to the Topfield forum at itopfield.com.au and look there.

As for heat, these PVRs are designed to run without a fan as long as it's in a well-ventilated area. Otherwise, maybe get a USB fan that one person has been doing (again check on the itopfield forums for details). I run mine 24/7 without a fan.

cheers,

Regarding the heat of the Toppy 7000/7100, how much space would you need to leave at the top of the unit for ventilation? I bought a Homecast HT8000 but I'm planning to return it and either get a 7000 or 7100 - the Homecast is too noisy - but I've also heard about the heat generated by the Toppy. There'll be plenty of space at the sides but only about an inch-and-a-half at the top, and I'm wondering if that's enough ventilation. It's an open fronted cabinet.

Thanks.

Half an inch might be a bit tight - the vent near the disk in on the top at the back. I've got 2 inches above mine which should be fine. The manual says the following: "Do not place the digital receiver close to heat emitting units or in direct sunlight, as this will impair cooling. Do not lay any objects such as magazines on the digital receiver. When placed in a cabinet, make sure there is a minimum space of 10 centimetres around it."

cheers,

John

Rob, the latest is the best - if you can find a copy of 99.80 I'd go with that - go over to the Topfield forum at itopfield.com.au and look there.

As for heat, these PVRs are designed to run without a fan as long as it's in a well-ventilated area. Otherwise, maybe get a USB fan that one person has been doing (again check on the itopfield forums for details). I run mine 24/7 without a fan.

cheers,

Hi deangelj,

Thanks for the advice. Will check out the Topfield forum.

Cheers

Half an inch might be a bit tight - the vent near the disk in on the top at the back. I've got 2 inches above mine which should be fine. The manual says the following: "Do not place the digital receiver close to heat emitting units or in direct sunlight, as this will impair cooling. Do not lay any objects such as magazines on the digital receiver. When placed in a cabinet, make sure there is a minimum space of 10 centimetres around it."

cheers,

John

Thanks John, exactly the info I was after.

Allen

cheers,

John

I must confess to not having that 100mm clearance but one is on an open shelf (open at the back as well as the front) with 55mm clearance above. IMHO it is the clearance above (and below) that is most important so the air can circulate and get away.

The other unit is in a tighter spot but the cabinet is fitted with a fan which blows air over it and the receiver (which gets VERY hot otherwise) during operation of the whole works. No fan when it is recording but there is nothing else giving out heat at that time so it has not seemed to have mattered.

One thing which annoys me about some of the latest low profile gear is that they have minimal "feet" and, to me, that hinders air flow up through the chassis so I've purchased some from JetCar and stuck them on. The Toppy is not as bad as some but I have still put something under the feet there to help ventilation.

My 2c on the topic

John

Hi

Yes John,adding higher feet is a good move but IMPO the Toppy runs way too hot, i fitted the notebook cooler late last Year and it has made a huge difference. I think it was originally proposed in the Whirlpool Forum but details are available on the itopfield Forum.

I added an old CPU Fan to blow air over the processor. This stopped many random lockups. Prior to this the heatsink would be too hot to touch, clearly sailing close to its temperature limit. It would seem to mean some routines could cause the processor to exceed this lim it and for the unit to freeze, not unlike a conventional computer system overheating.

The only lock we still experience is the well known playback filelist lockup which if I can get hold of 99.80 will be fixed.

Hi

Yes John,adding higher feet is a good move but IMPO the Toppy runs way too hot, i fitted the notebook cooler late last Year and it has made a huge difference. I think it was originally proposed in the Whirlpool Forum but details are available on the itopfield Forum.

Hi Basil,

Please pardon my ignorance but what is the story with the notebook coolers. I have heard others talking about them - are they something you put under the unit i.e. does the notebook (or presumably the 7000) sit on top of it?

I'm luckier than some as the only issues I have with 0.99.72 are timers running past their stop time occasionally and playback jittering if the unit has been on for many hours. I have noticed the top of the unit getting quite hot though, so I guess if I can add some cooling then it can only help.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Basil,

Please pardon my ignorance but what is the story with the notebook coolers. I have heard others talking about them - are they something you put under the unit i.e. does the notebook (or presumably the 7000) sit on top of it?

I'm luckier than some as the only issues I have with 0.99.72 are timers running past their stop time occasionally and playback jittering if the unit has been on for many hours. I have noticed the top of the unit getting quite hot though, so I guess if I can add some cooling then it can only help.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

There is a thread on the itopfield Forum about them, i'll find it Tomorrow and put a link in.

The ones i have used are the Ebay 3 fan types,they are USB powered and cost around $20- $30 fron China/HK.

They can fit under the Toppy or on the top(upside down). They work a treat and blow air out of the back,you can plug them into the 7000 USB port or use a powered USB hub. Your lucky with .72 it caused chaos on my Brothers machine.

Edit... Link to Thread Here

Edited by Basil

Hi

I understand that Toppy use a Seagate HDD which is designed to operate in higher temperatures. But I agree it is alarmingly hot (and the 5000 does not exactly run cool) and I omitted to mention in the earlier posting I do have a quiet computer fan on top of the unit in the main system but it only operates when the video side of the system is running (video processor and video switcher powered on) so is left to its on devices if recording away from viewing times. I would be interested in that option you are referring to so will try to hunt it up later (cannot now as we have guests here).

John

Hi Steve

There is a thread on the itopfield Forum about them, i'll find it Tomorrow and put a link in.

The ones i have used are the Ebay 3 fan types,they are USB powered and cost around $20- $30 fron China/HK.

They can fit under the Toppy or on the top(upside down). They work a treat and blow air out of the back,you can plug them into the 7000 USB port or use a powered USB hub. Your lucky with .72 it caused chaos on my Brothers machine.

Edit... Link to Thread Here

Thanks, Basil

I've bought one on Ebay today - do you have any thoughts on whether they are more effective placed under the 700 or on top of it?

Regards

Steve

Thanks, Basil

I've bought one on Ebay today - do you have any thoughts on whether they are more effective placed under the 700 or on top of it?

Regards

Steve

Hi

There designed to fit under a Notebook but seem to work well sitting upside down on the top of the Toppy. I fitted mine on top as the ventilation at the back of the cabinet is at the top and the cooler blows the air straight out,if it was underneath it would blow hot air into rear panel of cabinet. I think it would work OK in either situation.

My Brother is an engineer by trade and computers/Hi-Fi is only a hobby but he always said the 7000 ran too hot. Even if Topfield designed the case to be a heat sink and part of the cooling system this machine certainly generates some heat.

Mums & Dads purchasing this unit for the first time would have a fit with its operating Temp. and really for general household use and for a general feeling of wellbeing and confidence by the consumer a fan should have been fitted by Topfield.(IMPO).