Panasonic Th-42px80a No Signal On Tv

I'd like to summarize this thread a little. Do I have this right?

The Hdmi1 and hdmi2 input ports don't work with any dvi source (dvi to hdmi cable) be it a htpc or a pvr

hdmi3 works with any dvi source

hdmi1 and hdmi2 works with a dvi source coming through a hdmi extender or a home theater receiver that does hdmi switching

The TV doesn't seem to have any problem accepting and displaying a DVI-HDMI signal going into any of the ports, but the problem is it causes loss of tv reception which I am convinced is due to interference coming from the tv when HDMI1/2 are in use.

does anyone have a hdmi source (hdmi to hdmi) plugged into hdmi1 or hdmi2 preventing the tuner from working?

Yes, myself and another forum member have connected standard HDMI devices (sony dvd player, panasonic pvr) to HDMI1/2 and it causes loss of reception.

I am going to try using a HDMI switcher with inbuilt amplifier and see if that fixes the reception loss problem, but it could be a week or two before I receive it as I am ordering over ebay :(

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to try using a HDMI switcher with inbuilt amplifier and see if that fixes the reception loss problem, but it could be a week or two before I receive it as I am ordering over ebay :(

I'll be interested to hear how you go.

I was going to buy a 50PZ800A last week but spotted posts where it suffers from this problem on both this and another forum and decided to wait. I'll be using the TV with Foxtel SD, my HTPC (with HDMI OUT via the onboard ATI 3200), and some FTA HD for cricket, footy etc.

I've been thinking about getting the 50PZ850A and I'm trying to find out if the additional HDMI-4 port suffers from the same reception loss problem. I like the panasonics but the only other 50" plasma that I've seen that looks viable is the Samsumg PS50A650.

I can confirm that this issue occurs on the 50PX80A when using a sony upscaling dvd player via HDMI1. Strangely I also lose DVB reception on my topfield pvr when using HDMI1 on the TV (the topfield gets the antenna signal and loops it out to the TV).

Thankfully HDMI2 is fine though and does not affect reception.

I think I know what is going on though, basically when I use HDMI2, the HDMI light on the dvd player comes on to indicate there is a signal/connection there, and then when I change back to DVB the light goes off and reception is fine. But if I use HDMI1 the light stays on even when I change back to DVB, and I lose reception. So it would seem that for HDMI1 the TV is not "disconnecting" the HDMI signal properly which may be continuing to use some resource that the DVB tuner needs.

I can confirm something similar. When my Pana PVR is connected to HDMI1 the light on the HDMI cable stays on all the time. In HDMI2 the light is mostly off. Can't say as I have checked it in different states of the 800a.

I am pretty sure that the Pana PVR is only HDMI 1.2, so if the HDMI1 port is forcing compliance with 1.3 then this might be part of the problem. Is that something Panasonic could change with firmware? Would be good if they could.

However your RF on Analogue (not connected) test is a concern. The the unit is leaking RF or worse creating RF that is interrupting TV signal is very poor form indeed. That would suggest a very poorly designed and tested hardware component.

The TV doesn't seem to have any problem accepting and displaying a DVI-HDMI signal going into any of the ports, but the problem is it causes loss of tv reception which I am convinced is due to interference coming from the tv when HDMI1/2 are in use.

Yes, myself and another forum member have connected standard HDMI devices (sony dvd player, panasonic pvr) to HDMI1/2 and it causes loss of reception.

sorry for the bad wording of my post, was the end of a long day. I was meaning hdmi ports one and two causing dvb-t reception to fail.

Well I tried running the dvd player through a HDMI switcher/amplifier first but I'm still getting lots of interference when HDMI1/2 is in use :(

This is the one I tried, courtesy of foxtail's shop:

http://www.ezyhd.com.au/HDMI-Specifications/

The only thing I can suggest now is trying one of these amplified antennas:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/L4016

I am using one of those and managed to adjust it in a position where my reception gets weak but doesnt drop out entirely when HDMI1/2 is in use. Reception stats showed the signal quality drops from 100% to 60%. Strength stays at 100%. It may not stay this way forever but for now it's a temporary fix.

Well I tried running the dvd player through a HDMI switcher/amplifier first but I'm still getting lots of interference when HDMI1/2 is in use :(

This is the one I tried, courtesy of foxtail's shop:

http://www.ezyhd.com.au/HDMI-Specifications/

The only thing I can suggest now is trying one of these amplified antennas:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/L4016

I am using one of those and managed to adjust it in a position where my reception gets weak but doesnt drop out entirely when HDMI1/2 is in use. Reception stats showed the signal quality drops from 100% to 60%. Strength stays at 100%. It may not stay this way forever but for now it's a temporary fix.

I replaced my pci-e video card that had dvi out with a new xfx 9500gt with hdmi out and have fixed the problem

I replaced my pci-e video card that had dvi out with a new xfx 9500gt with hdmi out and have fixed the problem

Hi link1896,

did you put your audio through HDMI port? If so, did you find audio lost when switch over to DVB and back to AV/HDMI or turn the TV off and on again?

Thanks

Edited by sontoloyo

• 1 month later...

So glad I found this thread, thought I was going mad with this problem. I have a 42 inch 800A which loses DVB channels (except channel 10) when my Mythtv PC is connected via HDMI 1 but only after the TV is switched off and then on again. That is I can plug the PC into HDMI 1 while watching digital TV and nothing will happen, it takes a restart of the TV to cause the problem, then I have to unplug the HDMI and power cycle the TV to get digital TV back. Using HDMI 3 seems to have solved the problem however this could hardly be called a fix.

The PC has an Nvidia card with DVI out, connected via a converter cable.

Neither Panasonic or their recommended repairers in Canberra seemed to have any idea about this, all they could think of was to replace the tuner module which didn't achieve anything. After that I got another company to look at my aerial setup, thinking that I had a bad signal, and they told me about this fault.

One of the posts suggests that a video card with HDMI output will fix this, is this confirmed?

Has anyone heard from Panasonic about this? This is a really disappointing fault considering that apart from this the TV itself is excellent.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be nice if this becomes the 'central' aussie thread to this topic so people here can post updates on it.

Obviously the US guys at AVS will be following this up with Panasonic, but if I know Australian support quality vs US support quality on foreign products, someone really is going to have to hassle about this to get an AU version of the firmware.

Once someone here has a name (I won't be doing it, sorry doesn't affect me) then post it here so others can lodge their names and let Pana Australia know how common the problem is.

If any posts crop up on other aussie forums like whirlpool or atomicpc then perhaps link them here too.

I feel a bit bad, I recommended a mate get one :) oops - he's happy with it but this kind of sucks.

Good luck to you all.

• 1 month later...

I have had this problem too on my 50PZ800A, lost all my channels except channel 7 on Friday Night. Tried to re-scan DVD and the analog and it could not find anything other than channel 7. Read this forum and unplugged my HDMI cable (HDMI 1) from my HTPC (Dell xps 1330 laptop) and turned TV on/off and rescanned OK. I'm astounded !!!!! and gonna complain loudly !!!!

Please note my cable is pure HDMI (ie no DVI converter).... and I have a brand new ariel on the roof (fitted 2 weeks ago)

I'd completely forgotten about this issue until tonight. My MIL recently bought a 42PZ800 and tonight connected up her Pana VCR/DVDR combo via HDMI after my recommendation.

She rang me up complaining she couldn't get a picture on. Now I am not sure whether she was confused about pressing AV1 vs HDMI1 vs using her combo unit, which she had been using the last year as it has a SD DVB tuner, but now I'm thinking it might be this bloody issue! :angry:

I'll be checking it for myself next time I'm up there

I have had this problem too on my 50PZ800A, lost all my channels except channel 7 on Friday Night. Tried to re-scan DVD and the analog and it could not find anything other than channel 7. Read this forum and unplugged my HDMI cable (HDMI 1) from my HTPC (Dell xps 1330 laptop) and turned TV on/off and rescanned OK. I'm astounded !!!!! and gonna complain loudly !!!!

Please note my cable is pure HDMI (ie no DVI converter).... and I have a brand new ariel on the roof (fitted 2 weeks ago)

Just thought I would add to the above that the problem has NOTHING to do with signal strength as I get 10 for signal strength and quality on ALL my channels (when I can get them that is...)

Just to add that I too have this problem on my 42pz800a. Just found this thread tonight.

I hadn't seen the problem at all until recently when I hooked up a computer via HDMI (computer has HDMI out from graphics card.)

I didn't know until reading this thread that the problem is related to HDMI.

I should also add that the aerial is connected directly into the TV, not going through computer. This makes it a very odd problem. You would think the HDMI port is completely separate and isolated from the tuning part of the TV.

I'm happy with the TV overall because it really is a good picture, but would like a fix for this problem which happens only rarely, but when it happens it's a pain to re-scan channels.

Just to add that I too have this problem on my 42pz800a. Just found this thread tonight.

I hadn't seen the problem at all until recently when I hooked up a computer via HDMI (computer has HDMI out from graphics card.)

I didn't know until reading this thread that the problem is related to HDMI.

I should also add that the aerial is connected directly into the TV, not going through computer. This makes it a very odd problem. You would think the HDMI port is completely separate and isolated from the tuning part of the TV.

I'm happy with the TV overall because it really is a good picture, but would like a fix for this problem which happens only rarely, but when it happens it's a pain to re-scan channels.

Just to let you know you do not have to re-scan the channels (well I don't anyway) you just have to pull the HDMI cable out and turn the tv off/on at the switch (not the remote)... It will then work as it should do FOR A WHILE.......

You should e-mail Panasonic as I and others have.

Just to let you know you do not have to re-scan the channels ...

Ok thanks for that.

I have emailed Panasonic.

At least this isn't a nasty problem with the picture quality - that would be a lot worse. But still, I hope there's a fix.

Just to let you know you do not have to re-scan the channels (well I don't anyway) you just have to pull the HDMI cable out and turn the tv off/on at the switch (not the remote)...

Just be very careful with 'hot-swapping' HDMI leads. There's been a few unlucky members who have fried their HDMI inputs/board when hot-swapping. Make sure you turn off the power on both devices before disconnecting HDMI leads.

Just be very careful with 'hot-swapping' HDMI leads....

Good advice.

The problem happened again on my 42pz800a tonight, no signal on any channels, so I turned off computer, turned off TV and off at power point, then unplugged HDMI cable, plugged back in, then powered on. All channels returned and working.

Edit:

I've just discovered that unplugging the HDMI cable is not necessary to get the channels back.

I can now make this problem happen on demand by simply turning the TV off without turning the computer off. The TV must remain off long enough for the 'click' sound where it goes into low power stand-by, which is about 2 or 3 minutes. (I'm guessing turning off at the wall is the same as waiting the 2-3 minutes.)

To get the channels back I need to turn the computer off (or hibernate), then turn the TV off (hard off as before) and then back on. Channels then return. Although this is still a significant problem - as sometimes I might want to leave computer running without TV, at least now I know the circumstances when it happens and how to resolve it. Panasonic really should have the balls to at least acknowledge this fault, even if a fix is not possible.

Edited by Fizz

Good advice.

The problem happened again on my 42pz800a tonight, no signal on any channels, so I turned off computer, turned off TV and off at power point, then unplugged HDMI cable, plugged back in, then powered on. All channels returned and working.

Edit:

I've just discovered that unplugging the HDMI cable is not necessary to get the channels back.

I can now make this problem happen on demand by simply turning the TV off without turning the computer off. The TV must remain off long enough for the 'click' sound where it goes into low power stand-by, which is about 2 or 3 minutes. (I'm guessing turning off at the wall is the same as waiting the 2-3 minutes.)

To get the channels back I need to turn the computer off (or hibernate), then turn the TV off (hard off as before) and then back on. Channels then return. Although this is still a significant problem - as sometimes I might want to leave computer running without TV, at least now I know the circumstances when it happens and how to resolve it. Panasonic really should have the balls to at least acknowledge this fault, even if a fix is not possible.

For me its simpler to unplug the HDMI cable than turn the laptop off and on, each to his own though. I suppose if you have a PC (rather than laptop) in a Entertainment Unit it would be a bit harder to get to the cable....

Tis a damn pain though, driving me nuts. Almost as bad as the Microsoft fix that I inadvertantly applied which fixes an apparent problem with the GPU overheating in the Dell laptop . The fix causes the fan to spin at full speed ALL THE TIME. Great for the laptop battery life when its not plugged in, not to mention the noise.....

• 2 weeks later...

As I had posted earlier, my MIL recently bought a 42PZ800. It was setup by her no worries. She then went and bought a HDMI lead to connect up a Panasonic EZ47V DVD/VCR/STB combo to the TV on my recommendation (better PQ and Viera link).

The next night after she had hooked it up she complained she lost all DVB channels, which reminded me of this thread and I thought she had been struck by the same issue also. She switched over to HDMI 2 and has had no issues since.

So I managed to get around to visiting her this weekend and proceeded to investigate and she if I could see the fault for my self....

Turns out the tuner on the TV is fine and has no issues with the DVD combo being plugged into HDMI 1 or 2. But here's the issue...., plugging in the HDMI lead into the DVD Combo, causes the DVD combo to lose picture signal on it's SD DVB tuner. :blink: WTF??

So I tried a rescan and nothing. unplugged HDMI lead, plugged in RCAs and rescanned....got all channels back. Plugged in HDMI again and DVB channels lost again. I pulled the HDMI cable out of the DVD combo and then all channels were back (using the RCAs on the TV's AV4). I plugged the HDMI cable back in and the digital channels were still available on the composite (RCA) out, but not when I switched to the HDMI input on the TV. So the DVD combo doesn't seem to like a HDMI lead being plugged in and using theSD tuner on the unit.... :angry::blink::angry2: very very strange Panasonic.

To sum up, it looks like this isn't just limited to Pana plasmas.

I will chase up Panasonic Australia tomorrow and see what they have to say