Hard Drive Little Space

Guest saiko

Guest saiko

Hi all could anyone enlighten me ? i was under the presumption that yu get 100 hours out of a 320Gb hard drive ......mine has probably recorded 25 hrs max and is showing 75% full..any ideas as i am sh==== myself and back to using pc + vcr.. from memory a dvd takes about 2gb an hour, if so i may as well put the tv HD shows straight to DVD??? any ideas..cheers laser47.... :excl:

Hi all could anyone enlighten me ? i was under the presumption that yu get 100 hours out of a 320Gb hard drive ......mine has probably recorded 25 hrs max and is showing 75% full..any ideas as i am sh==== myself and back to using pc + vcr.. from memory a dvd takes about 2gb an hour, if so i may as well put the tv HD shows straight to DVD??? any ideas..cheers laser47.... :excl:

hd is about 30 hours sd is about 100 hours thats the average

If the PVR is not doing any recompression of the broadcast streams (PVRs usually don't, DVD recorders usually do) then the broadcast stream bitrate is what governs how much you will fit.

Typically most broadcasters are about 6megabit/s for SD (but can vary from about 4.5 to 5megabit/s to 7megabit/s), and about 14megabit/s for HD (but can vary from 10 to 15 depending on channel). You can easily do the maths to convert this to gig per hour. 6/8*60*60=2700megabyte/hour=2.7G per hour. HD=6.3G/hour

Guest saiko

Thanx guys Sheese thats what i thought it was...looks like like one will have to do a few dvd's to keep some free space...too xpensive to have 10 hard drives or more....cheers...

Depends on the recording mode, and can vary depending on the TV channel if it's a straight Digital transmission.

e.g. recording through an external source, my machine has settings from HQ (1 gig = 13 minutes), SP+ (1 gig = 25 minutes) through to EP where 1 gig gives about 70 minutes.

Digital transmissions vary and can do so on the fly. e.g. ABC tends to have lower bitrates on it's SD channels since they have ABC, ABC2 (and soon ABC3), as well as ABC-HD. Whereas you have others like Win here that only have the single SD and HD channel and can assign much more bandwidth to them.

Some HDD/DVD recorders with dubbing allow you to transcode when dumping shows to DVD, so for example you might have a movie that occupies 6 gig, but you can record it to DVD at a lower bitrate to squeeze into 4.35 gig.