Beyonwiz Dp-p2

Yeah, I had this issue as well when my DP-P2 was new. Eventually found that it was displaying in 14:9 ratio on the AV in channel rather than 16:9. Fairly sure there is a button on the remote that changes the aspect ratio, can't remember exactly which one it was though, and I'm not home at the moment to check it out.
I thought the Beyonwiz only changes between 4:3, 16:9 and pan&scan, so 14:9 sounds more like your TV's aspect ratio, which the way I read Tap Twist Snap's post is only occuring on CH950 (foxtel input) so the TV aspect should already be correct

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My foxtel is set to 16:9 and was always fine before. I don't seem to have issues for any other components of my set up ps3,xbox etc they all display right to the edge. I have the latest firmware and when fox is running through the DP-P2 on standby it is fine. When viewing on channel 950 the bars are still there.

DP-P2

My config is as follows

a/v output is PAL-component-1080i-16:9

av input is enable-full-composite-PAL

Foxtel - (normal old foxtel box not IQ or HD)

Programme Display - Pillar Box

Aspect Ratio Control - By STU

Tv Type - 16:9

4:3 Programme Display - Pillar Box

Video Output - PAL

TV

Composite/Component - HDTV - Full

If any of those settings stick out as wrong then give me a yell but I have tried others and these were working fine before getting the DP-P2.

Only thing I can think of is possibly trying to get a Scart S-video cable for the foxtel as that is obviously sending through a pretty low quality signal. Still I don't want to waste money if it won't make a difference.

OK, so I'll be honest I haven't read all previous pages but I did scan some honest! Still I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I'll put it to the boffins...

Loving my P2, but it's getting close to full now and I'm looking to export files from it onto our new laptop so I can convert and burn to DVD. In a nutshell:

What way of transferring files do people recommend?

It is not hooked up to the PC at the moment and we don't have wireless net. I currently don't have a powered HDD but could get one in the near future if it would help. I was hoping that I was able to plug the P2 into the lappy and transfer across. Is this possible?

I will go home and read the manual and see what it recommends, but I thought I'd at least put it to the DTV community so see if people had a better solution or idea.

Thanks in advance.

I have not read all 27 pages so i am really sorry if this has been answered here.

I am just wondering if anyone has 1cm black bars down each side with foxtel plugged into this unit? Is there anyway to get rid of them? Other than this little problem I am loving the unit which i picked up today.

I have the same issue with my P2 via the composite input.

I am pretty sure it is an issue with the Beyonwiz as I previously had the VCR scart output from my foxtel box (non-IQ Pace 420) going into a Pioneer DVD-R via the same connection and it was full screen ! Picture quality was better too with the Pioneer ! (using component out for video not HDMI to AVR/TV!) I am suspecting the P2 is doing some sort of scaling over HDMI but have not had a chance to have a play with it and change it off PAL 1080i.

Other option is like you say is to try connect via S-video but this would mean I also have to use an S-video connection to my TV for non-recording purposes - live viewing basically. (Can't have Component + S-video simultaneously, only 2 x S-video :rolleyes: ) Since I don't record a lot of Foxtel I am wary of going down from Component to S-video for my TV connection.

If you do have any success please let us know !

youngstar

OK, so I'll be honest I haven't read all previous pages but I did scan some honest! Still I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I'll put it to the boffins...

Loving my P2, but it's getting close to full now and I'm looking to export files from it onto our new laptop so I can convert and burn to DVD. In a nutshell:

It is not hooked up to the PC at the moment and we don't have wireless net. I currently don't have a powered HDD but could get one in the near future if it would help. I was hoping that I was able to plug the P2 into the lappy and transfer across. Is this possible?

I will go home and read the manual and see what it recommends, but I thought I'd at least put it to the DTV community so see if people had a better solution or idea.

Thanks in advance.

Wireless isn't that relevant as the P2 doesn't have wireless inbuilt.

You can't plug the P2 into the laptop.

If you have a wired network, you can plug the P2 into the router - but it sounds like you don't.

Therefore, just use a USB drive. You don't need a powered drive - but some drives that draw their power from the P2's USB port require more power than the P2 supplies. So with a HDD that is powered from the mains, you will be OK. Most smaller HDD drives which are powered over the USB port are also OK. There is a thread on the beyonwiz forum that lists compatible USB drives.

Wireless isn't that relevant as the P2 doesn't have wireless inbuilt.

You can't plug the P2 into the laptop.

If you have a wired network, you can plug the P2 into the router - but it sounds like you don't.

Therefore, just use a USB drive. You don't need a powered drive - but some drives that draw their power from the P2's USB port require more power than the P2 supplies. So with a HDD that is powered from the mains, you will be OK. Most smaller HDD drives which are powered over the USB port are also OK. There is a thread on the beyonwiz forum that lists compatible USB drives.

There are instructions in the Beyonwiz manual about how to configure the Beyonwiz to connect direct from the BW to a PC without a router (no other devices on the network). I've never seen much discussion about how easy that works.

I thought the Beyonwiz only changes between 4:3, 16:9 and pan&scan, so 14:9 sounds more like your TV's aspect ratio, which the way I read Tap Twist Snap's post is only occuring on CH950 (foxtel input) so the TV aspect should already be correct

Sorry, you're absolutley correct there about the p2 ratio selections diesel and I got the ratio wrong. I've just re-tested at home here now and when I enable the AV in via the setup menu, then tune to the AV in channel (channel 950) I find the aspect ratio seems to start off in 4:3 Letter box mode and this gives the thin black bars either side of the picture on my Panasonic plasma. (which seems strange as I'd expect black bars top and bottom with a stretched out looking picture in between them). The P2 is hooked up to the Panasonic via HDMI.

Anyway, in my case the fix is a couple of presses of the zoom button (to the right of the "0" button) on the remote when on the AV in channel to change from 4:3 Letter box to 16:9 and no more thin black bars!!

Hope this helps the others with this issue.

Sorry, you're absolutley correct there about the p2 ratio selections diesel and I got the ratio wrong. I've just re-tested at home here now and when I enable the AV in via the setup menu, then tune to the AV in channel (channel 950) I find the aspect ratio seems to start off in 4:3 Letter box mode and this gives the thin black bars either side of the picture on my Panasonic plasma. (which seems strange as I'd expect black bars top and bottom with a stretched out looking picture in between them). The P2 is hooked up to the Panasonic via HDMI.

Anyway, in my case the fix is a couple of presses of the zoom button (to the right of the "0" button) on the remote when on the AV in channel to change from 4:3 Letter box to 16:9 and no more thin black bars!!

Hope this helps the others with this issue.

Thanks Gremlins - you were refering to the zoom button on the Beyonwiz remote ?

Is it exactly 16:9 or is it cropping out some of the picture ?

Cheers,

youngstar

Thanks Gremlins - you were refering to the zoom button on the Beyonwiz remote ?

Is it exactly 16:9 or is it cropping out some of the picture ?

Cheers,

youngstar

Yes, the zoom button on the Beyonwiz remote. I haven't studied the result in extreme detail, but I'm fairly sure it's not cropping anything on the 16:9 setting and it doesn't appear that it's actually zooming in on anything either, just switching between aspect ratios.

The 3 available display options by pressing the "zoom" button are 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan and Scan and 16:9. The only one that seems to crop is the 4:3 Pan and Scan which slightly chops off the top and bottom of the image.

Edited by Gremlins

Use WizFX to transfer to your PC via ethernet through a router ('crossover' if it's a direct connection to PC) and use the .TS format option on WizFX. Then use any video editing and authoring software - I recommend VideReDo TV suite, but there's more info on the Wiz Forum

I wouldn't recommend using an external HDD as the Wiz only writes to FAT32 formatted drives (though it reads from NTFS), which makes it difficult for a Windows PC IIRC.

Converting to DVD

..., to DVD is there a better way?

There's a few more probably pertinent ones in there but I couldn't find them with a quick search

I wouldn't recommend using an external HDD as the Wiz only writes to FAT32 formatted drives (though it reads from NTFS), which makes it difficult for a Windows PC IIRC.

No real problem here - copy the programme from the internal HDD to the external HDD - the file is still in a series of small files all pulled together by a .TS header file. Plug this into a PC and use Wizfx to copy those files to your PC's NTFS drive - no problem. You can do it direct from the PC but if you want to transfer several files at a time the external drive route is probably easier.

Cheers,

Al.

No real problem here - copy the programme from the internal HDD to the external HDD - the file is still in a series of small files all pulled together by a .TS header file. Plug this into a PC and use Wizfx to copy those files to your PC's NTFS drive - no problem. You can do it direct from the PC but if you want to transfer several files at a time the external drive route is probably easier.

Actually WizFX won't copy from a FAT32 drive to an NTFS drive directly. It always converts from tvwiz format to TS format in the same directory.

This is a problem if the TS file is too big for FAT32. You could copy the tvwiz folder from your FAT32 disk to NTFS first then run WizFX.

Or you could use the command line utility getwizpnp which lets you set the output path for the TS file which can be different from the input path of the tvwiz files.

I started off using an external HDD for transfers to PC but in the end found it more convenient to transfer via the network using WizFX from the PC since the copy and the conversion to TS can occur in one step.

Actually WizFX won't copy from a FAT32 drive to an NTFS drive directly. It always converts from tvwiz format to TS format in the same directory.

That's true, but the command-line getWizPnP can, and so can (I think) WizZilla, which uses getWizPnP for transfers.

Hey would it be wise to sell off a near new XW350 (since there's no need for the DVD-drive) & buying this instead? Only things I dislike about the 350 is the slowish interface, the lack of always on time-shift & no picture in picture. How does this Dp-P2 perform in these areas?

Hey would it be wise to sell off a near new XW350 (since there's no need for the DVD-drive) & buying this instead? Only things I dislike about the 350 is the slowish interface, the lack of always on time-shift & no picture in picture. How does this Dp-P2 perform in these areas?

Ralfi I have the xw300 and p1[no analog input] ; the p1 is slightly faster populating the epg [ which has 1 more channel visible on it now compared to the 300 which you scroll to see 8] and recorded files ; though because of the many options its a bit clunky navigating less used options [ you get used to it in time though and the networking is worth it]. You will appreciate being able to set global pre/post recording buffers though [rather than 1 at a time] and the much better add skipping [adjustable] compared to the pana ;)

I really appreciate the always on time shift ; neither has p/in/p though ; the pana is ok but you know the wiz always has the promise of a new firmware that you resign yourself to the pana never getting . Case in point the wiz's last firmware gave the option of losing the help guide [ intuitive imo] and gaining the 8th ch on the epg which makes it that much easier to program :)

Edited by cwt

All Beyonwizes can be set up to have always-on timeshift (if it's off, PAUSE will turn it on). Its UI is slowish, but adequate, you'll need to try it. It has no PIP.

All Beyonwizes can be set up to have always-on timeshift (if it's off, PAUSE will turn it on). Its UI is slowish, but adequate, you'll need to try it. It has no PIP.
The Wiz UI is definitely a lot quicker than the Pana DVDRs which can take a while to jump into/through menus.

Ralfi, if PiP, always on timeshifting and quicker UI are your three main gripes, maybe look at the Topfield 7100plus or 2400 models.

The Wiz UI is definitely a lot quicker than the Pana DVDRs which can take a while to jump into/through menus.

Ralfi, if PiP, always on timeshifting and quicker UI are your three main gripes, maybe look at the Topfield 7100plus or 2400 models.

Thanks, diesel.

The lack of PiP may be fixable, as my TV has PiP across inputs, so if I get a double antenna adapter, & hook one up to the Dp-px*, & connect the other to the TV (which has a HDMI connection to my AVR), I should be able to utilize the TVs PiP right?

The toppys seem to have a few reliability issues which is why I place the Beyondwiz above them.

*what's the main diff between the Dp1 & 2? Thought I read it was only one or two features which I probably would use anyway.

The lack of PiP may be fixable, as my TV has PiP across inputs, so if I get a double antenna adapter, & hook one up to the Dp-px*, & connect the other to the TV (which has a HDMI connection to my AVR), I should be able to utilize the TVs PiP right?

The toppys seem to have a few reliability issues which is why I place the Beyondwiz above them.

*what's the main diff between the Dp1 & 2? Thought I read it was only one or two features which I probably would use anyway.

You can daisy chain the Beyonwiz and TV ie Antenna->Wiz RF in->Wiz RF out->TV RF in

PiP will then be between your TV's tuner and the AV input (HDMI) that the Wiz is connected to.

The P2 replaced the P1 and added in-built AV inputs and SATA HDD. If you can find a runout P1 it's very good value, but my guess is probably all stock is gone and the P2 is the only option

You can daisy chain the Beyonwiz and TV ie Antenna->Wiz RF in->Wiz RF out->TV RF in

PiP will then be between your TV's tuner and the AV input (HDMI) that the Wiz is connected to.

The P2 replaced the P1 and added in-built AV inputs and SATA HDD. If you can find a runout P1 it's very good value, but my guess is probably all stock is gone and the P2 is the only option

Ahh good news.

I've tried to daisychain the antenna through the LG I have now (for curiosity sake), but i'm pretty sure it only output an analogue or SD signal at best iirc. Is this a common drawback older PVRs had that new ones (like the Dp-p2) improved on?

i'm pretty sure it only output an analogue or SD signal at best iirc.

The aerial in/out terminals just allow your aerial to be shared - it doesn't discriminate between HD/SD. There is some attenuation which may be an issue if you don't have excellent reception.

Some equipment has a second set of RF (aerial) outputs which 'converts' the machine's output to a RF signal on a specific (usually analog) channel. This is meant to be used with older TVs that don't have A/V inputs.

Edited by Paul55

I don't have a XW350, but I do have an older Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder which I imagine is very similar in most respects. I bought P2 a week ago and the only areas where it is not as good as the Panasonic are:

- P2 has no slow backwards ability and the slow forwards is quite cumbersome, so if you edit a lot it's not as good.

- how much it edits out can at times be unpredictable, but then last night I was removing some commercials and it seemed pretty good - I have to experiment more in that regard.

- the FF and Rewind are not very good - what you see on screen is often not accurate and it will start playback in a different spot. Not a big deal to me as I set up the skipping to do what I want.

Just thought I'd mention those points, they may not be relevant for your uses though. In every other respect the P2 is better. I have heard the toppy's have a better interface but no complaints with the P2 interface, it's snappy and I like it.

Edited by Bildi

I don't have a XW350, but I do have an older Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder which I imagine is very similar in most respects. I bought P2 a week ago and the only areas where it is not as good as the Panasonic are:

- P2 has no slow backwards ability and the slow forwards is quite cumbersome, so if you edit a lot it's not as good.

- how much it edits out can at times be unpredictable, but then last night I was removing some commercials and it seemed pretty good - I have to experiment more in that regard.

- the FF and Rewind are not very good - what you see on screen is often not accurate and it will start playback in a different spot. Not a big deal to me as I set up the skipping to do what I want.

Just thought I'd mention those points, they may not be relevant for your uses though. In every other respect the P2 is better. I have heard the toppy's have a better interface but no complaints with the P2 interface, it's snappy and I like it.

Appreciated, Bildi.

8]

Hardly use slow-mo myself, so that's ok.

I can only see me editing the beginning/ends of recordings, not the ads in between, as I delete most of my recordings anyway, once i've watched them. Maybe only on the keepers, but i've yet to do that with my currently archived recordings, so I can live without mass-edits if it's no good.

FF/Rew on my LG isn't too great either, so i'm used to that. I do appreciate the accuracy of the Panasonic, but can live without it, if it means I get a better unit & feature-set overall.

Bildi ; the pana is more precise as you say with the editing points but much more cumbersome setting bookmarks and editing ;especially when more than one edit point is required . The wiz is heaps easier ; especially in conjunction with the variable skip buttons. :) With familiarity you dont even need to look at the remote it comes second nature ..

I have mine set up for skip up 10% ;skip> 1min ;skip< 30secs ; skip v 10%. Done in a flash with bookmarks and the 10%. Less steps finding the edit setting to ; the pop up menu switches automatically ; the pana you have to select from an extensive list :(