Ps3 Firmware Wtf

I've been reading around the web and I'm seeing a lot of reports of people saying firmware 2.41 has stuffed up their Ps3.

Sony claimed that 2.40 caused a 'limited number' of problems for users, so they pulled it straight away

Yet 2.41 seems to be causing more than a 'limited number' of problems, and its still available for download

What's going on? Post details here if 2.40 or 2.41 has stuffed up your system and what the problem is

i have 2.40 and havent had any problems yet... just a bit of lag online but doubt thats got anything to do with the update

still unsure if i should update to 2.41

How are you able to get online with 2.40? When there is a newer firmware available PS3's force you to download it before jumping onto the PSN

Anyone who claims to have problems is just lying or are complete chumps who ****ed with the ps3 while installing.

There is nothing wrong with either update here.

Thats a big call there champ. I've updated my ps3 firmware 5 or so times before 2.40 but it still bricked the console. Managed to fix it by formatting the drive on my pc, and have since updated to 2.41 successfully, which is pretty good for a lying chump :rolleyes:

Thats a big call there champ. I've updated my ps3 firmware 5 or so times before 2.40 but it still bricked the console. Managed to fix it by formatting the drive on my pc, and have since updated to 2.41 successfully, which is pretty good for a lying chump rolleyes.gif

Sorry if it happened mate, but there seems to be a lot bs going around. Some one reads "ow my ps3 was bricked" and then think its cool to dis on Sony so they start posting up everywhere "omg my ps3 is dead sony is **** blah blah blah" when really nothing is wrong.

BTW i dont entirely get how a firmware problem could screw the HD. I mean the only time the firmware sees the HD is when it gets copied to it as an install file, from then on it installs to the PS3 itself not the HD. Therefor there should never be a problem with the HD. If the install screws up then the PS3 will be dead and reformatting the HD wont do anything coz thats not where the firmware is.

I could get my PS3 working fine, didn't recognise there was an update until I forced it to search, so perhaps 2.4 and 2.41 were made to run together? Or perhaps they just left something out. I don't know, but I still upgraded. It pretty much went to 50% then PS3 turned off, then on again and began installing. Installation went to about 50% and then was finished. Perhaps because I had 2.40 on there. I don't know.

Sorry if it happened mate, but there seems to be a lot bs going around. Some one reads "ow my ps3 was bricked" and then think its cool to dis on Sony so they start posting up everywhere "omg my ps3 is dead sony is **** blah blah blah" when really nothing is wrong.

BTW i dont entirely get how a firmware problem could screw the HD. I mean the only time the firmware sees the HD is when it gets copied to it as an install file, from then on it installs to the PS3 itself not the HD. Therefor there should never be a problem with the HD. If the install screws up then the PS3 will be dead and reformatting the HD wont do anything coz thats not where the firmware is.

I don't really understand it either. I always thought the process was similar to flashing a BIOS chip, as long as the flash process went smoothly and the new firmware wasn't corrupt then all should go well. Obviously there's something else going on in the background, something involved with the HDD.

Interesting to note that after formatting the HDD and installing it back in the ps3 that the current firmware was 2.40 and everything worked perfectly.

I could get my PS3 working fine, didn't recognise there was an update until I forced it to search, so perhaps 2.4 and 2.41 were made to run together? Or perhaps they just left something out. I don't know, but I still upgraded. It pretty much went to 50% then PS3 turned off, then on again and began installing. Installation went to about 50% and then was finished. Perhaps because I had 2.40 on there. I don't know.

nah i was forced to update from 2.4, i was hoping the would run 2.4 & 2.41 together untill it was definitely fixed.

Edited by Jeffie

I ain't having problems with my console but damn do I get disconnected alot with these last 2 updates

and alot of freez ups online, the ONLY good thing is you can text while playing but that just wastes more time, I seem to be answering more messages than playing!

I don't really understand it either. I always thought the process was similar to flashing a BIOS chip, as long as the flash process went smoothly and the new firmware wasn't corrupt then all should go well. Obviously there's something else going on in the background, something involved with the HDD.

Interesting to note that after formatting the HDD and installing it back in the ps3 that the current firmware was 2.40 and everything worked perfectly.

The update overwrite or corrupt some important system files by mistake.. It's not exactly a brick... Think of it like deleting c:\windows.... The machine and firmware is still working properly, just the software (OS) that's a bit f**ked up...

Disclaimer: I don't own a PS3, just read the Sony explanation off some tech sites while surfing..

Just throwing this one into the hat.

Shouldn't this poll be more specific and ask if we're all installing onto the 40GB Oz version?

Would different versions of PS3 cause the crash/brick?

Further to this post http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=68764

Just got a call from the wife, kids trying to play Lego Star Wars and apparently the PS3 will not even acknowledge that disc either.

I had no trouble getting on to the Store or playing any downloaded demos, but it just won't acknowledge a disc in the effing drive!

Any help/thoughts?