Topfield 7100pvrt - Now Available

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which store offered the 7100 for $699?

Good guys.

I think it really shouldn't be hard to get it even lower...the RRP is 899 which is what DSE are trying to flog it for.

I was told GG would have it listed as $799 as their regular price.

I would have thought that the 7000PVR would be discontinued, but it looks like some stores are trying to position it as the entry model, despite it being dated (not that it isn't a great PVR).

I would think that before long, the 7100PVR will sell for $699 ticketed - can't see any of the PVRs incl tivo's flying off the shelves at price levels above $700...

I might check out my local GG and see if they will offer the same. My guess is they probably will for cash but I'm not in any real hurry until they sort out the firmware issues.

Is anyone aware if TF will allow TAPs for the new release?

I've not heard of Topfield allowing TAPs as such. There are already external applications under way for the 7100.

What sort of TAP type functionality were you thinking of?

I was hoping for a quick jump tap for skipping ads and something that will turn off the pvr at the end of a recording. I am also using one for screen capture which I like.

I am using these in my 5000pvrt

I was hoping for a quick jump tap for skipping ads and something that will turn off the pvr at the end of a recording. I am also using one for screen capture which I like.

Then you'll be pleased to read that with the 7000 and 7100 you get included with the firmware;

1. The quickest acting 30 sec skip button you can imagine. You'r watching the cricket and want to skip the add during overs - 1 press. Normal commercial TV add break - 6 or 7 presses and it jumps as fast as you can press the button. The advantage is that means the skip size is able to be varied to suit the program and you have complete control by your finger. The skip back skip is menu variable from -10 sec up.

2. Where the PVR turns on by a timer it turns itself off for unattended recordings and otherwise where you want to have it turn off after a recording you set the sleep timer button to the End of recording setting.

Screen capture, sorry. There's pause and you can take a photo of the screen. :)

I've got a 5000pvrt mp too - Can you inform me what TAP's give you these functions?

The 7100 looks good, At $699 I'm a buyer, but no more. Lets see what happens to the price over the next few months. Would be nice to have HD for the Olympics (8/8/08) and the footy finals in September.

I've got a 5000pvrt mp too - Can you inform me what TAP's give you these functions?

The 7100 looks good, At $699 I'm a buyer, but no more. Lets see what happens to the price over the next few months. Would be nice to have HD for the Olympics (8/8/08) and the footy finals in September.

AFL fan, if you go to www.tapworld.net you will find more TAPs than you ever wanted to know - I used a good skipping tap called SkipIt. For screen capture there's one called ScreenCapture or ScreenCaptureOSD (which also captures any On Screen Display). Also if you ask on the old Topfield forum (topfield.com.au) you will get lots of info.

cheers,

John

Then you'll be pleased to read that with the 7000 and 7100 you get included with the firmware;

1. The quickest acting 30 sec skip button you can imagine. You'r watching the cricket and want to skip the add during overs - 1 press. Normal commercial TV add break - 6 or 7 presses and it jumps as fast as you can press the button. The advantage is that means the skip size is able to be varied to suit the program and you have complete control by your finger. The skip back skip is menu variable from -10 sec up.

2. Where the PVR turns on by a timer it turns itself off for unattended recordings and otherwise where you want to have it turn off after a recording you set the sleep timer button to the End of recording setting.

Screen capture, sorry. There's pause and you can take a photo of the screen. :)

I have to echo Robert's post - the 7000/7100's usability in the skipping, fast forward/rew, skipack etc. is just great - you won't need the TAPs for this functionality. Having come from the 5000 as well, this part of the 7000 was just light years ahead of the 5000.

I am using Quick Jump v1.71 for skipping through ads and it is highly configurable. Power Down v0.74 for shutting down when a recording is finished and Screen Capture with OSD for taking a snapshot of the screen.

I also use TF5000 Display for showing more info on the front panel of the toppy like the time, channel, remaining time of a program recording or a program playing, Free SpaceBar to show how much time is left for recording on the HDD and TAP Commander 1.32 to access all TAPs.

All of these can be found at tapworld and improve the TF5000pvrt usability enormously.

I also use Altair to upload and download the TAPs and view what is on my toppy's hdd and to rename and move files.

I've had my TF5000 for about 6 months and only recently started using TAPs.

However, the 7100 seems to cover some of these anyway and HD would be nice :-)

Excuse my ignorance, but are people saying that the 7000 & 7100 can have TAPs applied?

I thought everything after the 5000 series would not take TAPS....

The question asked was "Is anyone aware if TF will allow TAPs for the new release?" and I replied saying "I've not heard of Topfield allowing TAPs as such."

So the current answer to your question is no and I've not heard of anything to suspect that this will change.

Whether somebody will find another way to alter the PVRs behaviour is another matter yet to be seen.

Robert E, can you tell me whether the 7100 displays how many hours are left on the hdd for recording or is it the same format as the 5000 showing GB free? Any other extra special features?

You seem to be one of the few who actually own one here.

Robert E, can you tell me whether the 7100 displays how many hours are left on the hdd for recording or is it the same format as the 5000 showing GB free? Any other extra special features?

The Recorded Programmes list (the file list) shows in the list;

1. A sequential number for each recording

2. The recording date in the format dd/mm (ie 21/07)

3. The recording name (around 35-40 characters depending on capitalisation etc)

4. Three more columns showing a number if the recording is selected, whether the file is being recorded (then showing R1 and R2) and, from memory, file locking detail etc

5. The last column is an icon showing a TV or a Radio depending on the recording type.

Then at the bottom of the list is shown;

a. The file name currently selected, sometimes preceded by it classification, eg [G] Name

b. the size of the file in MB followed in brackets by its running time in X Hour X Min or for shorter recordings X Min X Sec

c. The full date of the recording dd/mm/yyyy followed by the time the recording started HH:mm in (24 hour time)

d. "290348 MB Free / 304848 MB" for example for a 320GB HDD model

So the answer to your question is no it doesn't show how many hours left for recording but given that you could be recording anything from Radio to SD video to HD video all at different MB/hour levels there is no reasonable way this remaining time can be calculated.

The front panel has a small bar chart showing HD followed by 8 squares that are progressively filled as HDD capacity is used. This display only shows when the HDD check is completed on switch on meaning you have a visual indication if you want to switch on the PVR and start a recording for example without switching on the TV.

As for special features there are a lot from what I've read over the 5000.

You have very fast 30 sec skip and manu variable from -10 sec back skip.

FF and FR toggles to unbelievable speeds.

Slow motion forward and back is variable.

You can record two services and watch a mux of one of them and it's also in the timeshift burrer allowing you to record 3 streams if necessary.

The timeshift buffer is variable from 30 min to 6 hours in half hour jumps.

Resume play or play from the start are menu options.

Skipping is not affected if you set bookmarks

Support for an external HDD is available. In the file list you use << or >> to toggle from Recorded Programmes >> to MP3s >> to External Programs >> to external MP3s >> back to internal programs etc and << in the reverse order.

You can record directly to an external HDD

and no doubt a lot more I've missed.

You won't get file editing where the file size is reduced but you do get basic editing which in effect just marks the bits to be shown.

You don't get the ability to record from the timeshift buffer from the point you have wound back to.

If you can think of something else just ask

Robert

Things are sounding good generally with the 7100 - becoming very tempting (especially with an intermittent fault on the 5000)

But how/why did they drop this

You don't get the ability to record from the timeshift buffer from the point you have wound back to.

I use this function very regularly......

Kent

I haven't tried this but what if you rewind your timeshift, set a bookmark, and press record? Will the bookmark make it to the recording so make it easier to get to the point. Just to be clear you can still record your timeshift buffer, it's just the starting point that is in question.

If you can think of something else just ask

I have one more question, does the file list show the last watched program? You've done a great job of describing the units functions :)

I have just been to the local GG and they will sell me one for $689 but it will take a week to come in as they don't have them in stock.

I was also looking at buying a new Full HD 40" Samsung LCD TV. to go with the new toppy :winky: and they will do them both for $2588 but I think I can better that. A blueray DVD player is thrown in for good measure too as a Samsung promo until the end of the month. I might check out what HN will offer too this afternoon.

I have one more question, does the file list show the last watched program?

No.

I omitted to mention that the file list can be sorted by Date, Size or Name (date is the default). Recordings can be renamed and folders created and files copied or moved between folders to both the internal and any external HDD.

I went to HN who bettered the price on TV and matched the price on the toppy 7100 so I bought them. I won't have the toppy for a week or two as they have to order it in. :D

The Samsung 32" and the toppy 5000 will now go to the bedroom :)

I don't believe what sales people say, esp. the dates they promise.

-J

I don't believe what sales people say, esp. the dates they promise.

-J

Yep, neither store have them in stock and just sold to me what they say is cost price...well it is $210 less than what DSE want. I don't mind waiting and won't pick up the TV until Saturday as I will need help getting it up the stairs and into place.

I am looking forward to seeing my favourite football team playing in the Grand Final again this year in HD on a bigger screen :winky:

Edited by hallycat

I am looking forward to seeing my favourite football team playing in the Grand Final again this year in HD on a bigger screen :winky:

This is where i should add something smart but after the weekend i better keep quiet. ;)

This is where i should add something smart but after the weekend i better keep quiet. ;)

Oh dear....sorry hun...we beat the livin daylights out of you but the season hasn't ended yet...We might meet in LCD screen for the GF with HD playback ;)

I went to HN who bettered the price on TV and matched the price on the toppy 7100 so I bought them. I won't have the toppy for a week or two as they have to order it in. :D

The Samsung 32" and the toppy 5000 will now go to the bedroom :)

So Hallycat, just confirming, you bought a TF 7100 for $689 from HN?

I think that is the best price so far...