Pioneer 550-hx Recorder - Digital Tuner Dropouts?

Yaablett, No question is a dumb question. Firmware is like the software that drives the electronics on any equipment.

From Wikipedia

Found these instructions on the Pana website - should apply to your model;

1. Check the current Firmware Version (not applicable for DVR-433H/530H/630H/RT601H):

Switch on your DVD Recorder

Select "Home Menu"

Select "Initial Settings"

Select "Audio Out"

Select "Dolby Digital Out"

Select "Dolby Digital" and push the "9" button on the remote

Remember, you'll only need to update your DVD Recorder if the FW version is lower than the version mentioned in the download table.

To return the DVR to its normal operating state, press the Home Menu button on the remote control.

Yep,that's exactly how you do it.

Yaablett,there is no way you could have the latest firmware,it's only been out a couple of weeks.

You will most likely have 2.07 or 2.08,the newest is 2.10.

Phone Pioneer on 1800988268 and ask them nicely for the firmware update disc,it comes with instructions.

I hope it works for you,I haven't heard of it fixing any yet.

I phoned Pioneer today to let them know the firmware didn't fix mine and they were going to get back to me,they didn't.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep,that's exactly how you do it.

Yaablett,there is no way you could have the latest firmware,it's only been out a couple of weeks.

You will most likely have 2.07 or 2.08,the newest is 2.10.

Phone Pioneer on 1800988268 and ask them nicely for the firmware update disc,it comes with instructions.

I hope it works for you,I haven't heard of it fixing any yet.

I phoned Pioneer today to let them know the firmware didn't fix mine and they were going to get back to me,they didn't.

Well, I posted a question a couple of weeks back on the Pioneer website about the reception drop-outs and had pretty much forgotten about it as I'd (predictably) heard nothing, but when I checked the mail yesterday, there was an Australia Post CD package with a DVD with "Pioneer DVR-550HXS Firmware Ver:2.10" written in black marker pen with a small flyer with pretty vague installation instructions.

Ran it, loaded it, but can't determine how successful the update has been in fixing the problem.

I'll report back later... odd how Pioneer didn't feel it necessary to contact me ?

hmmmmm

Edited by The Maso

• 4 weeks later...

After spending a few weeks with my replacement Pioneer 560HX unit....I'm afraid the digital tuner dropouts and stutters remained. SBS was improved somewhat but no change with the other channels.

I've returned it for a Beyonwiz Dp-P1 model PVR - couldn't be happier. I never did use the DVD recording and archiving part of the Pioneer unit anyway.

If the Pioneer's SD tuner works for you, then I can recommend the 560HX as an otherwise solid unit for the following reasons:

* The new media centre on the hard drive played all the Xvid and DivX AVI files I threw at it (transfers via the USB are slow, just leave it overnight)

* Has a much better remote than the 550HX.

* DVD's look very good and every DVD-video disc I inserted in the machine played.

* 2-channel CD music reproduction is similarly excellent.

Whatever the cause of the tuner problem, it only happens to some Pioneer DVR units and I think only in some situations. It's more complicated than signal strength and quality because both were around 100% at my house after a 2nd upgrade to my antenna system was performed recently.

Thing is: if Topfield can get the tuner stable in a cheap SD set top box, why couldn't Pioneer with their DVR?

Now excuse me while I return to the Beyonwiz and my self-guided crash course in Windows networking... ;)

After spending a few weeks with my replacement Pioneer 560HX unit....I'm afraid the digital tuner dropouts and stutters remained. SBS was improved somewhat but no change with the other channels.

I've returned it for a Beyonwiz Dp-P1 model PVR - couldn't be happier. I never did use the DVD recording and archiving part of the Pioneer unit anyway.

If the Pioneer's SD tuner works for you, then I can recommend the 560HX as an otherwise solid unit for the following reasons:

* The new media centre on the hard drive played all the Xvid and DivX AVI files I threw at it (transfers via the USB are slow, just leave it overnight)

* DVD's look very good and every DVD-video disc I inserted in the machine played.

Whatever the cause of the tuner problem, it only happens to some Pioneer DVR units and I think only in some situations. It's more complicated than signal strength and quality because both were around 100% at my house after a 2nd upgrade to my antenna system was performed recently.

Thing is: if Topfield can get the tuner stable in a cheap SD set top box, why couldn't Pioneer with their DVR?

Now excuse me while I return to the Beyonwiz and my self-guided crash course in Windows networking... ;)

Thanks for your post. Such a shame Pioneer are spoiling an otherwise excellent product with a sub standard tuner.

I wonder if they will ever wake up to this!! This has been reported for over 12 months now. :ninja:

John

Thanks for your post. Such a shame Pioneer are spoiling an otherwise excellent product with a sub standard tuner.

I wonder if they will ever wake up to this!! This has been reported for over 12 months now. :ninja:

John

Unfortunately, the distributor has no say in what they're given by the manufacturer.

elysian... Did you let Pioneer know that the 560 had the same problem? I'm sure they'd like to know so they can look into it.

Edited by Stone

Unfortunately, the distributor has no say in what they're given by the manufacturer.

elysian... Did you let Pioneer know that the 560 had the same problem? I'm sure they'd like to know so they can look into it.

Yep, in writing, via the retailer who sold me both units.

That's not good news,Pioneer are sending me the 560 as a replacement for my old 550 that had the stuttering tuner issue.

Mine was only effected on one channel,so hopefully the 560 will be OK for me,i'm in a good reception area.

If not,I suppose i'll have to sell it and get something else.This will be a shame because I really liked this DVR,the only thing I didn't like about the old 550 has been fixed with the 560 (tuner problem aside).

The fact that you couldn't save DivX to Hdd and the woeful remote of the old unit were my only other issues I had.

I love the editing and recording features features of the old 550 and have heard they have been further improved on the 560 which is good.

I convert VHS tapes to DVD for archiving,so a PVR is no good for me unfortunately.

I may have to look at the equivalent Panasonic if this one has the same problem.

Watch this space for my update when the new unit arrives.

• 1 year later...

Hi... I have a pioneer dvr-550hx and need the firmware, i updated my unit with the UK version and it screwed it big time, Pioneer want me to send it to a service centre which will cost quite a few hundred dollars. I have an it background and wouldnt think it be to hard to replace the firmware back with the aussie version. If any one could send it to me i would realy appreciate it.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in desperate need of the 550-HX-S firmware 2.07 or 2.08 or 2.09 as I done the silly thing and updated with the uk firmware :(

Does anyone still have this, pioneer so far have not been helpful :(

Hi, I have the firmware from Pioneer, however it won't load. I need to remove the updated EU firmware first, anyone know how to do this?

• 7 years later...

hi all. i just acquired a 550hx. after performing a factory reset, then auto tune channels etc.. i proceed to channel surf which i usually do to see if all the channels have been scanned. it starts from ch1... i get to ch7 and then it gets stuck. cant go forward or back in changing channels. my firmware is 2.08. all help appreciated