Sign in to follow this  
Lukass1503560035

New Panasonic 50" Th-50pz800a

FYI I've used those specs too and am very happy with what I see. So is the boss!

thanks guys for your help, but I was asking more with regards to muddy blacks / no shadow detail on SD content....

Hi I'm new here and wondered if you guys can help me. (Sorry it wouldnt let me post a new post).

I have lput on hold the Panasonic TH-50pz80A for $2,200

I also looked at the Panasonic TH-50PZ800A which I could have got for $2640

I compared the 2 on Panasonic web site the only differences on the 800A were.......

Silver trim on the bottom

1 extra HDMI slot

Swivel stand.

They are both full HD with 100hz processor.

I didnt think it was worth paying and extra $440 for these features.

Do you think I have done the right thing and also If these prices are good or would I be able to get better somewhere else?

Pity I just missed out on the Wii deal, but I'm hoping by the time I pay full price for the set Panasonic may have another deal going :):)

Hi I'm new here and wondered if you guys can help me. (Sorry it wouldnt let me post a new post).

I compared the 2 on Panasonic web site the only differences on the 800A were.......

1 extra HDMI slot

Swivel stand.

Do you think I have done the right thing and also If these prices are good or would I be able to get better somewhere else?

Pity I just missed out on the Wii deal, but I'm hoping by the time I pay full price for the set Panasonic may have another deal going :):)

I paid $2350 for the TH-50PZ800A at JB on the Gold Coast no extra warranty or anything just straight up with the Wii deal in Dec.

1 extra HDMI slot

Swivel stand.

i paid less than that last year (july i think it was) on a 2Y interest free (800A) so you should do a little better than than i would of thought. i have seen the 80A under $2000 on spec.

I thought the difference was that one was Full HD and the 80 was only HD ?

Anyway, I bought a 50" 800A in August last year for just under $2800, which including extended warranty, 2 years interest free and Samsung upscaling dvd player with HDMI cable.

Since that's only $160 more than what you've got there, I'd reckon you really need to look a bit harder, as I would've thought $2500 for the same would be more the going price now.

Maybe the Aussie peso is now starting to bite a bit harder now, so the red hot prices are nearly over ?

The TH-50pz80A is full HD I think the px is the normal HD.

Dont know why they did 2 models very similar.

Where did you see the PZ80A for under $2,000? thats a good price.

I live in the country but could make a weekend of it in Melbourne and pick up the TV as well if I save a few hundred.

Or maybe the franchise here could match the price.

I have got a while before I need it so I can afford to wait and try and get a better deal.

Just wanted to hold one cause all the sales guys here say they wont be any cheaper when they get new stock in, as Panasonic say their prices are going up 1st Feb.

The TH-50pz80A is full HD I think the px is the normal HD.

Dont know why they did 2 models very similar.

That's correct - PZ=1080p, PX=768p

Choice. Put simply the more models available covering as many price points as possible, means you're sure to have better chance of selling more panels. Never understood why Pioneer never tried this marketing angle. Have cheaper/less featured models to shift more units. :blink:

Think I have made the right choice as it sounds like people are turning off that extra feature in the processor anyway. (The thing that smooths out the picture).

This is what the sales person was playing on to try and get me to buy the 800A. Saying that it is better than the 80A.

That makes me think if it is best turned off another reason to save over $400!

I must admit I do like the silver bar though, but not at $400 :lol:

I will keep my eyes open and see If I can get it cheaper over the next few months as I dont need it until just after easter as we are building a new house.

Edited by taffy62

Think I have made the right choice as it sounds like people are turning off that extra feature in the processor anyway. (The thing that smooths out the picture).

This is what the sales person was playing on to try and get me to buy the 800A. Saying that it is better than the 80A.

I thought only the 850 had Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC). I assume that is what you are talking about?

I thought only the 850 had Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC). I assume that is what you are talking about?

The 850 has this.

The TH-50PZ800A also has this but the TH-50PZ80A doesnt.

The only difference between the 800A and the 80A is'

IFC

Swivel Stand

Silver strip at the bottom

I extra HDMI slot

I didnt think it was worth paying $460 extra for these features.

If the 800 comes down in price and I can get it for the same price as the 80 then I would go for the 800

The 850 has this.

The TH-50PZ800A also has this but the TH-50PZ80A doesnt.

The only difference between the 800A and the 80A is'

IFC

Swivel Stand

Silver strip at the bottom

I extra HDMI slot

I didnt think it was worth paying $460 extra for these features.

If the 800 comes down in price and I can get it for the same price as the 80 then I would go for the 800

Another difference on the panasonic website when you compare the two is "11th generation panel"

I dont know if that is significant or not in picture quality assuming IFC is turned off.

I think I read somewhere that another difference was, the PZ800A supports true 24p playback whereas the PZ80A doesn't?

But I have also heard that there is an issue of flicker with 24p material so not sure if that is desirable or not....

I think I read somewhere that another difference was, the PZ800A supports true 24p playback whereas the PZ80A doesn't?

But I have also heard that there is an issue of flicker with 24p material so not sure if that is desirable or not....

Thats what makes it hard in deciding what model to get.

I am one of those people that usually want all the bits an pieces but have been good on holding back this time :)

Im even wondering if I have even gone overboard in choosing full hd over hd, as there was a large price difference in the 2 systems.

And Im wondering if I will have to get new theatre set up and dvd recorder in hd too.

I have only got the standard stuff, so dont know how this will work with the plasma or if it will change the sound or picture quality.

I am one of those people that usually want all the bits an pieces but have been good on holding back this time :)

Why not wait a couple more months for the new NeoPDP models :winky:

Then you'll have a new set of features to chew over :P

Seriously though, you'll want a good PVR solution though. Well worth it! Something like the Pana XW300 or a Beyonwiz unit

TH50PZ800a @ MYER from Feb 17

$2499.00 with Panny Blu-Ray player for free, valued at $449

Tempted.

Edited: Turns out it's the 80a, not 800a. Oh well.

Edited again: Huh? The catalogue says TH50PZ80, but it also says 100Hz -- which I thought the 80 wasn't capable of...?

Edited by pulserate

Well I'm also trying to decide over the 50PZ800a or simply the PZ80a! The $400 price difference plus addition of a Blu-Ray makes the 80a very tempting! I was an early adopter of Full-HD with the Sony Bravia 40X2000 and have been very happy with this panel, but looking at a larger panel for the loungeroom and is very hard to go past the value for money that the Plasma has over the LCD. Our household CAN tell the difference from an SD broadcast to a HD one sitting at 3m from a 40" display so definitely I wouldn't go the PX80a!

So, if I'm going to turn off the IFC, then the 800a doesn't have that much of an advantage... But can someone give me feedback on the 24p real cinema? I assume this will only be useful on Blu-Ray playback. So would like to hear from 800a owners how much difference this feature makes when watching a Blu-Ray movie compared to having this feature turned off.

So what is the news on the new NeoPDP models. Other than fantastic looks won't this be an excuse for Panasonic to introduce the dreaded price increase they have been threatning us with?

What do these models have in terms of PQ that the current models don't have?

Sorry if this has already been covered in any of the previous 30+ pages!

Cheers,

CuriousMind

TH50PZ800a @ MYER from Feb 17

$2499.00 with Panny Blu-Ray player for free, valued at $449

Edited: Turns out it's the 80a, not 800a. Oh well.

Edited again: Huh? The catalogue says TH50PZ80, but it also says 100Hz -- which I thought the 80 wasn't capable of...?

It's definitely the PZ80A which is bundled witha free BD player. And Pana plasma's are 100htz. Still a good deal with a bit of a haggle down to $2200

I was in at Harvey Norman on the weekend and they had a Blu-ray running on the PZ800 and judder was evident. It wasn't too bad, but I think it would drive me nuts eventually.

Any PZ800 or PZ850 owners care to comment on how you've found 1080/24p playback on these tv's?

Andy.

I was in at Harvey Norman on the weekend and they had a Blu-ray running on the PZ800 and judder was evident. It wasn't too bad, but I think it would drive me nuts eventually.

IIRC, many retailers drive their displays via component distribution. Whilst I'm not certain about the capabilities of the displays, my guess is that component would be 1080i60 rather than 1080p24 and thus would exhibit pulldown judder (assuming the displays can only support 24p over HDMI).

Perhaps only select displays are connected by HDMI to show off their best.

I was at JB HiFi and their wall of HDTVs was showing the same program. The 50" Pio had noticeable judder on moving wildlife scenes whilst the LG/Sammy/whatever next to it was smooth. I was quite surprised, but did not want to accept that the setup was necessarily showing any display to its full potential.

Any PZ800 or PZ850 owners care to comment on how you've found 1080/24p playback on these tv's?

Andy.

IIRC, many retailers drive their displays via component distribution. Whilst I'm not certain about the capabilities of the displays, my guess is that component would be 1080i60 rather than 1080p24 and thus would exhibit pulldown judder (assuming the displays can only support 24p over HDMI).

Perhaps only select displays are connected by HDMI to show off their best.

I was at JB HiFi and their wall of HDTVs was showing the same program. The 50" Pio had noticeable judder on moving wildlife scenes whilst the LG/Sammy/whatever next to it was smooth. I was quite surprised, but did not want to accept that the setup was necessarily showing any display to its full potential.

totally agree,

I have had my 800a for a month now and find the picture very smooth with a 1080p picture.

I have been back to JB just to have a little look at the current prices and did notice the picture does look terrible on there display models....rest assured at home it looks great :)

It was 1080/24p connected via HDMI with IFC turned off. (I wouldn't use IFC anyway). It was noticeable judder, though I've seen worse. I was expecting the 800 & 850 to be a lot smoother.

Andy.

Apologies if asked before, no doubt has, but the search options on this forum suck unless of course I'm using it wrong in which case, how do you search just one thread and failing that how do you get into (and out of) the service menu on the 800a series?

I have been back to JB just to have a little look at the current prices and did notice the picture does look terrible on there display models....rest assured at home it looks great :)

Agreed...the picture is awful in the shops, but great at home.

I first posted this in the Blu-Ray section however because it more relates to how the Pana handles the sound, I feel it should go here.

I am going to purchase the upcoming Neil Young Archives Volume I release on Blu-Ray. The audio on this release is encoded in the 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM format. My current stereo system (Bose Lifestyle 8, I know very poor decision I made when I was a young fool, however don’t have the cash to buy a real system at the moment) can’t accurately reproduce the full sound of this release. So what I am looking at doing is sending the sound VIA HDMI from my PS3 to my Panasonic 50PZ800A and listen to the audio via headphones on the Pana. My question is does the Pana do anything to the sound when outputting via the headphone jack, i.e. any down sampling, loss of sound quality etc.?

Cheers!

I first posted this in the Blu-Ray section however because it more relates to how the Pana handles the sound, I feel it should go here.

I am going to purchase the upcoming Neil Young Archives Volume I release on Blu-Ray. The audio on this release is encoded in the 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM format. My current stereo system (Bose Lifestyle 8, I know very poor decision I made when I was a young fool, however don’t have the cash to buy a real system at the moment) can’t accurately reproduce the full sound of this release. So what I am looking at doing is sending the sound VIA HDMI from my PS3 to my Panasonic 50PZ800A and listen to the audio via headphones on the Pana. My question is does the Pana do anything to the sound when outputting via the headphone jack, i.e. any down sampling, loss of sound quality etc.?

Cheers!

FYI this is what I got from Panasonic.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

A 24bit 192KHZ signal may not be accepted by the HDMI input on the Plasma TV.

Applicable audio signal sampling frequencies (2ch L.PCM): 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz

Not many options left now...