Well I'm also trying to decide over the 50PZ800a or simply the PZ80a! The $400 price difference plus addition of a Blu-Ray makes the 80a very tempting! I was an early adopter of Full-HD with the Sony Bravia 40X2000 and have been very happy with this panel, but looking at a larger panel for the loungeroom and is very hard to go past the value for money that the Plasma has over the LCD. Our household CAN tell the difference from an SD broadcast to a HD one sitting at 3m from a 40" display so definitely I wouldn't go the PX80a!

So, if I'm going to turn off the IFC, then the 800a doesn't have that much of an advantage... But can someone give me feedback on the 24p real cinema? I assume this will only be useful on Blu-Ray playback. So would like to hear from 800a owners how much difference this feature makes when watching a Blu-Ray movie compared to having this feature turned off.

So what is the news on the new NeoPDP models. Other than fantastic looks won't this be an excuse for Panasonic to introduce the dreaded price increase they have been threatning us with?

What do these models have in terms of PQ that the current models don't have?

Sorry if this has already been covered in any of the previous 30+ pages!

Cheers,

CuriousMind

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TH50PZ800a @ MYER from Feb 17

$2499.00 with Panny Blu-Ray player for free, valued at $449

Edited: Turns out it's the 80a, not 800a. Oh well.

Edited again: Huh? The catalogue says TH50PZ80, but it also says 100Hz -- which I thought the 80 wasn't capable of...?

It's definitely the PZ80A which is bundled witha free BD player. And Pana plasma's are 100htz. Still a good deal with a bit of a haggle down to $2200

• 4 weeks later...
I think I read somewhere that another difference was, the PZ800A supports true 24p playback whereas the PZ80A doesn't?

But I have also heard that there is an issue of flicker with 24p material so not sure if that is desirable or not....

I was in at Harvey Norman on the weekend and they had a Blu-ray running on the PZ800 and judder was evident. It wasn't too bad, but I think it would drive me nuts eventually.

Any PZ800 or PZ850 owners care to comment on how you've found 1080/24p playback on these tv's?

Andy.

I was in at Harvey Norman on the weekend and they had a Blu-ray running on the PZ800 and judder was evident. It wasn't too bad, but I think it would drive me nuts eventually.

IIRC, many retailers drive their displays via component distribution. Whilst I'm not certain about the capabilities of the displays, my guess is that component would be 1080i60 rather than 1080p24 and thus would exhibit pulldown judder (assuming the displays can only support 24p over HDMI).

Perhaps only select displays are connected by HDMI to show off their best.

I was at JB HiFi and their wall of HDTVs was showing the same program. The 50" Pio had noticeable judder on moving wildlife scenes whilst the LG/Sammy/whatever next to it was smooth. I was quite surprised, but did not want to accept that the setup was necessarily showing any display to its full potential.

Any PZ800 or PZ850 owners care to comment on how you've found 1080/24p playback on these tv's?

Andy.

IIRC, many retailers drive their displays via component distribution. Whilst I'm not certain about the capabilities of the displays, my guess is that component would be 1080i60 rather than 1080p24 and thus would exhibit pulldown judder (assuming the displays can only support 24p over HDMI).

Perhaps only select displays are connected by HDMI to show off their best.

I was at JB HiFi and their wall of HDTVs was showing the same program. The 50" Pio had noticeable judder on moving wildlife scenes whilst the LG/Sammy/whatever next to it was smooth. I was quite surprised, but did not want to accept that the setup was necessarily showing any display to its full potential.

totally agree,

I have had my 800a for a month now and find the picture very smooth with a 1080p picture.

I have been back to JB just to have a little look at the current prices and did notice the picture does look terrible on there display models....rest assured at home it looks great :)

It was 1080/24p connected via HDMI with IFC turned off. (I wouldn't use IFC anyway). It was noticeable judder, though I've seen worse. I was expecting the 800 & 850 to be a lot smoother.

Andy.

Apologies if asked before, no doubt has, but the search options on this forum suck unless of course I'm using it wrong in which case, how do you search just one thread and failing that how do you get into (and out of) the service menu on the 800a series?

• 1 month later...

I first posted this in the Blu-Ray section however because it more relates to how the Pana handles the sound, I feel it should go here.

I am going to purchase the upcoming Neil Young Archives Volume I release on Blu-Ray. The audio on this release is encoded in the 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM format. My current stereo system (Bose Lifestyle 8, I know very poor decision I made when I was a young fool, however don’t have the cash to buy a real system at the moment) can’t accurately reproduce the full sound of this release. So what I am looking at doing is sending the sound VIA HDMI from my PS3 to my Panasonic 50PZ800A and listen to the audio via headphones on the Pana. My question is does the Pana do anything to the sound when outputting via the headphone jack, i.e. any down sampling, loss of sound quality etc.?

Cheers!

I first posted this in the Blu-Ray section however because it more relates to how the Pana handles the sound, I feel it should go here.

I am going to purchase the upcoming Neil Young Archives Volume I release on Blu-Ray. The audio on this release is encoded in the 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM format. My current stereo system (Bose Lifestyle 8, I know very poor decision I made when I was a young fool, however don’t have the cash to buy a real system at the moment) can’t accurately reproduce the full sound of this release. So what I am looking at doing is sending the sound VIA HDMI from my PS3 to my Panasonic 50PZ800A and listen to the audio via headphones on the Pana. My question is does the Pana do anything to the sound when outputting via the headphone jack, i.e. any down sampling, loss of sound quality etc.?

Cheers!

FYI this is what I got from Panasonic.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

A 24bit 192KHZ signal may not be accepted by the HDMI input on the Plasma TV.

Applicable audio signal sampling frequencies (2ch L.PCM): 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz

Not many options left now...

• 1 month later...

FYI I live on the central coast so sydney reception is a bit dodgy, some months ago I lost channel 9 (but get nbn which is almost the same) I searched for more channels etc no such luck. I installed new antenna searched for more channels, no luck then i wiped all and auto searched tadah! all channels came back, nothing to do with reception at all,

keep this in mind if you loose a channel or can't find a channel

great TV, 7 day EPG something I will demand in all future tv's,

see things I never before in favourite movies,

needs better set out remote, a "switch between 2 channel button" and PIP

• 2 months later...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've got one of these, which unfortunately now won't turn on (I got it when they were first released). :(

The power led on the front of flashes 11 times, goes out, then starts the cycle over again.

I haven't been able to track down a service manual to see what the number of flashes mean, so I have no idea if it is something really bad, i.e. take it to the tip, or something minor that might be a relatively cheap repair job.

Anyone got a service manual for this TV to tell me what the 11 flashes mean, or should I start looking at buying something new ??

Thanks.

I've got one of these, which unfortunately now won't turn on (I got it when they were first released). :(

The power led on the front of flashes 11 times, goes out, then starts the cycle over again.

I haven't been able to track down a service manual to see what the number of flashes mean, so I have no idea if it is something really bad, i.e. take it to the tip, or something minor that might be a relatively cheap repair job.

Anyone got a service manual for this TV to tell me what the 11 flashes mean, or should I start looking at buying something new ??

Thanks.

Hi. I don't know this model but I just did a quick google for the unit and it seems to be a fan failure, so minor like you said.

You can download the service manual for free here

It's the U model designation instead of A, but I'm sure essentially the same.

Hi. I don't know this model but I just did a quick google for the unit and it seems to be a fan failure, so minor like you said.

Thanks for the link, but I've now tried downloading it twice and it failed to download, once at 178k and the other at 1.4M, now the download link has disappeared completely. :(

More info: It's an A-Board fan failure, where A-Board = "Main A/V Input / Processing". That might help you know where to look, if you can't get the service manual.

Thanks for the update.... took the cover partially off and flicked the fan blades with my finger, then powered it up... all came up fine.

None of the fans had any resistance in them like they had failed.

Lashed out on a new Samsung 50" led/lcd, and will use this one in the shed/outdoor living area at a later date.... big difference in power usage between the two, and since this was the one that got used most of the day/night, I expect some power savings. ;)

• 9 months later...

Old thread but since it is dedicated to PANASONIC TH-50PZ800A I thought I would update

My TV just died with weird defect

EVERYTHING works except actual picture images Black screen. OSD, letterbox, guide, sound etc all work

Even service mode works telling me all boards are OK

Same for all inputs (not aerial issue)

Supposedly it is A board

Pulled off back had a look, removed A5 to D5 cable a common issue but white screen without cable, black with cable in.

Had to get technician out. Never seen this issue, supposedly quite a good model.

Made the old $200 for part, $180 for labour. Bummer, as it is getting close to what this model is worth now

I am currently trying to find a replacement board and do it myself as it is about 8 screws and 8 plugs.

There seems to be second hand parts from broken screen models around and overseas dont fit (it contains aerial)

If anyone knows where to get parts,has blown their model and wants to sell me a board let me know or if anyone has had this issue