New Panasonic 50" Th-50pz800a

Are all programs on the HD channels have DD 5.1 sound?

I have an amplifier that auto detects DD when input through a optical cable, and I have not been able to get it to detect 5.1 as yet?

It just seems to stay in pro-logic mode.

Rich.

The HD programs usually broadcast in DD 2.0, a very very few of them use 5.1... usually it's the ones you least want, like the morning show-type programs.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having issues getting 5.1 out from the TV when watching FTA. Do i need to change a setting (can't find one) or is it because most shows dont do 5.1??

cheers

I am getting 5.1 through my PZ800 without any problems.

Where are you located?

How have you got your sound set up?

OK, I was under the impression that HD was DD 5.1.

I even went out and bought a new F/O digital audio cable.

So might as well just stick with the stereo speakers on the TV....DD 2.0 is boring !

What is the resoloution transmitted in HD, is it 1080P ? Some HD channels look better than others...

Rich.

PS - AUS SAM : I think around $2600 with 5 year warranty is about the best going price. Start at DSE as they seem to have good prices on these TV's and then take their quote to all other big shops (JB, Good Guys, HN etc) until you get a good price. That is what I did. However I bought the PZ 850A not the 800. Good Luck mate.

I even went out and bought a new F/O digital audio cable.

So might as well just stick with the stereo speakers on the TV....DD 2.0 is boring !

What is the resoloution transmitted in HD, is it 1080P ? Some HD channels look better than others...

Rich.

PS - AUS SAM : I think around $2600 with 5 year warranty is about the best going price. Start at DSE as they seem to have good prices on these TV's and then take their quote to all other big shops (JB, Good Guys, HN etc) until you get a good price. That is what I did. However I bought the PZ 850A not the 800. Good Luck mate.

The resolution is 1080i for the commercial stations, 720p for ABC and 576p for SBS. But it all depends on the original resolution of the program being shown -- many shows are SD shows upscaled by the network to HD, so basically still SD. For example the ABC almost never shows native HD programming. More and more content on the commercial networks is now native HD, though DD 5.1 is still lagging a long way behind.

TV will still sound better out of your surround system than through your TV speakers though, because they're better speaker and your amp can fake 5.1, better than nothing!

Just to add to Peterjcat's comments, if you have an AVR, I would leave the optical out from the TV connected to the AVR so that when DD5.1 is broadcast you can turn on your AVR and have that option. Whilst it still doesn't happen a lot, it does happen and is certainly worth it if you have the equipment to enjoy DD5.1.

It's probably because most shows don't do 5.1.

Ch.9 in Sydney is broadcasting nearly everything in Dolby Digital 5.1,movies news,most soapies.

Ch.7 does some movies,but not much else.

Ch.10 does some movies

SBS not much

Ch2 bugger all.

But they all will default to analogue Pro Logic ,or DD stereo. Ch.9will often brop back to analogue during the ads.

I'm watching the NRL grand finel in DD 5.1

Cheers

Ch.9 in Sydney is broadcasting nearly everything in Dolby Digital 5.1,movies news,most soapies.

Ch.7 does some movies,but not much else.

Ch.10 does some movies

SBS not much

Ch2 bugger all.

But they all will default to analogue Pro Logic ,or DD stereo. Ch.9will often brop back to analogue during the ads.

I'm watching the NRL grand finel in DD 5.1

Cheers

Well here in Townsville we didn't even get the NRL grand final broadcast in HD, let alone DD 5.1.

I watched it in SD. I checked win HD - but only the test loop.

Rich.

Edited by Richie37

I found this in the user's manual (not exact words but the meaning is the same): "hdmi2 is only for digital audio".

can someone please explain? I thought that audio passing through an HDMI cable is sent as digital thus the statement should apply to all 3 HDMI ports.

thank you very much

TH50PZ800A was offered to me yesterday at Myers Eastgardens Sydney for $2400 Including delivery + $169 for an extra 2 years warranty.

Pioneer LX508a Priced at HN $4350 including free delivery by H Norman,If anybody is interested.Now which one should i buy.

Hey Sean

What did you decide on? Pioneer? If so, have you got a receipt?

Im trying to get on for under $4500.

All the best

Andrew

Can someone please point me to where I could find how to access the service menu for the 50pz800a?

Thanks.

I was just about to post a question about changing settings in the service menu...

To access the service menu press and hold the v/- button on the front panel while pressing the info button on the remote 3 times. To exit, turn the TV off.

Having said that, i dont know how to actually change any of the settings. I cant get any of the remote buttons to do anything whilst the menu is up and I was hoping to get it calibrated...anyone???

I was just about to post a question about changing settings in the service menu...

To access the service menu press and hold the v/- button on the front panel while pressing the info button on the remote 3 times. To exit, turn the TV off.

Having said that, i dont know how to actually change any of the settings. I cant get any of the remote buttons to do anything whilst the menu is up and I was hoping to get it calibrated...anyone???

BE VERY CAREFUL IN SERVICE MENUS

If you don't know what you are doing, stay out before you change settings. There's a service manual available from Panasonic.

BE VERY CAREFUL IN SERVICE MENUS

If you don't know what you are doing, stay out before you change settings. There's a service manual available from Panasonic.

Been well informed about that, thanks for the warning though. Not planning on changing anything myself. Have a friend with an ISF qualification ?!!? who can do a calibration for me. Need white balance and gamma settings or something.

Any links to where i could get this manual?

Cheers.

Edited by Jubby

JB Hi-FI website has the PZ800A for $2,423.70 until Oct 7th.....

From some quick research on behalf of my sister in-law, this panel sounds like the best screen for price available at the moment... Are there any others I should consider recommending to her? Is this screen significantly better than the 50PZ80A?

Unfortunately, the price is now $2693 on JB Hi-Fi http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_And_Home...aign=buy-button

What is the best price this panel can be had for?

EDIT: Also, is this panel ok for watching sport? That's largely what it would be used for, so I need to be sure it'll perform well...

Edited by bbboy

Guest scorpian007
Is the extra warranty at JB hi fi just as good as HN or the GG?

I have heard not all the stores have good extra warranty's.

Rich.

Its better than other places imo. The warranty extends the manufacturers warranty, so anything they cover, JB cover. It covers the remote (which some warranties don't because they count it as an accessory) and there is absolutely no excess on the warranty so if it breaks twice and the second repair is going to cost more than what the TV is worth, they will replace the TV (you can pay extra and upgrade to something better if you want to). There is also a no lemon guarantee, so if it keeps breaking, it will get replaced.

So far so good :)