New Panasonic 50" Th-50pz800a

1800 for the 46" is the best price I have heard of so far. Where is that from? And I dont think its worth 800 for an extra 4"'s!

i picked up the 46" 800A for $1890 at DSE.. they had if for $2300 rrp, but since they were having a relocation sale, there was another 20% or so off all TVs :)

love it!

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Smiths Powerhouse has the Pana 50 inch 800a Full HD for $2692

I got my 50 inch 800a pana over a month ago for $2699 with 5 years total warranty and delivery as can be seen here Original post

I'm sure that you'd be able to get a better price than what you guys have mentioned here of late so just though I would post it again to help out.

Love the TV btw and am really surprised at how good even compressed video files of tv shows look over it. So damn good!

i picked up the 46" 800A for $1890 at DSE.. they had if for $2300 rrp, but since they were having a relocation sale, there was another 20% or so off all TVs :)

love it!

Gotta love that, well done! Did you happen to notice if they had the 42" 800A and if so what sticker price?

Gotta love that, well done! Did you happen to notice if they had the 42" 800A and if so what sticker price?

they had the 42 and 50, but i cant remeber the prices (50" was $25xx i think)

not sure how much stock they ahve left anymore (this is dicksmith powerhouse carnegie in melbourne)

Edited by m0nk3y

they had the 42 and 50, but i cant remeber the prices (50" was $25xx i think)

not sure how much stock they ahve left anymore (this is dicksmith powerhouse carnegie in melbourne)

OK, I went down there but nothing much left Pana-wise and definitely no PZ800A's that I could find. Bummer. Must admit I was p'd off after psyching myself up. Also, one other irritation was the staff member in the TV section there who seemed completely over the whole relocation sale thing. He was walking around in a huff seemingly ignoring every person in the store, then even raising his voice at them - "I'm already serving two customers!" - when approached. I felt a little sorry for him because there were not enough staff there clearly but when there are punters waltzing in ready and willing to part with their hard earned..... anyway I think we can put this down to burn out and no point crying over spilt milk! (even though I just did)

'

Must be a Dick Smith thing, I went in to the local DSE 1 year birthday sale last week ready to buy a DVD recorder and the music in store was so loud (uncomfortably loud) and the staff were more interested in standing around talking to each other than serving customers.

I stood there for 10 minutes and on the way out I remarked to one of them that I could not get served (and they didn't hear me due to the loud music they were playing).

I went to the Good Guys and made my purchase.

Anyway back on topic of the Panny Th-PZ800A, the cheapest I have been able to find it was $2640, and that went up to $2900 with the 5 year warranty.

Extra Freight to NQLD they tell me.....

Finally bit the bullet a bought the 50pz800a and am loving it.

Is it normal for a brand new plasma to have dirty screen? It was easy to get it off but I thought it should be in pristine condition, it was like some thing had been flicked on it. I just hope they haven't duped me and given me a store display one.

Are there any tell tale signs if they do this?

Finally bit the bullet a bought the 50pz800a and am loving it.

Is it normal for a brand new plasma to have dirty screen? It was easy to get it off but I thought it should be in pristine condition, it was like some thing had been flicked on it. I just hope they haven't duped me and given me a store display one.

Are there any tell tale signs if they do this?

mine was super clean when it took it out of the box,

but few hours later it had some unexplained smudges, I have kids who are not be tall enough to reach it, but always the first port o call when something is dirty

its got more marks on it now from me kissing it when the wife is not looking

OK, I went down there but nothing much left Pana-wise and definitely no PZ800A's that I could find. Bummer. Must admit I was p'd off after psyching myself up. Also, one other irritation was the staff member in the TV section there who seemed completely over the whole relocation sale thing. He was walking around in a huff seemingly ignoring every person in the store, then even raising his voice at them - "I'm already serving two customers!" - when approached. I felt a little sorry for him because there were not enough staff there clearly but when there are punters waltzing in ready and willing to part with their hard earned..... anyway I think we can put this down to burn out and no point crying over spilt milk! (even though I just did)

'

I have never been happy with DS service, they love to wipe hands clean and palm you off to manufacturer. Said it would be 6 weeks to exchange Apple Airport. Can't I just have another one?" NO!. Went to APPLE and exchanged on the spot and yes the music is too loud.

Plenty of deals to be had, $2800 plus free Wii at Domayne. Must be able to get some extra off that catalogue price for sure.

Edited by bainf

I've just purchased this TV and the Panasonic SC-BT105 BLU-RAY Home Theatre System with iPod Dock, and OH MY GOD.

Totally blown away with everything, picture, sound, quality.

TOTAL: $4169.00 online at Webprice.com.au.

Delievered to my house in 2 days after I placed the order. Arrived in perfect condition and took 4 hours to set up.

I'm not the audio/visual guru, but every one I've shown this to has been gobsmacked (including me). Purchased Cloverfield on Blu-Ray and the quality was so real, it was sickening!

Having the surround full blast, the Monster Ultra cable, I can honestly say I am not moving from my couch.

Ipod feature is really cool.

Impressed with the footy, and normal TV - I mainly use it for movies (DVD and Blu-Ray).

Very satisfied. Been a Panasonic man all my life (hi-fi's, tv's, etc).

I was wondering if anyone could please provide me optimal picture settings or general settings for the tv, if they are avaliable?

Thanks

Edited by CONMAN

Apparently there is a website called CNET or something that published optimal settings for the new Panasonic Plasmas. I went looking but could not find it.

Perhaps someone could cut and pasted them into a post here, as the links don't always work or take you to the correct page.

I hope to buy one of these 50" plasmas in a couple of weeks.

So anyone have any recommended settings for contrast/brightness/colour/sharpness etc?

Cheers

Another member posted this earlier .. I have tried it myself and the PQ is awesome. But for the time being as I am still running in, I have set the brightness and contrast at 40/ 48 respectively.

Note: some options are not available on the Aus version picture menu.

from tweaktv.com

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

User Menu Settings

* Picture Modes

o Picture Mode : Custom

o Color Temperature : Normal

o Aspect Ratio : HD1

* Picture Settings

o Picture (Contrast) : +78

o Brightness : +55

o Color : +45

o Tint : -3

o Sharpness : +20

o Color Management : Off

o X.V. Color : Off

o C.A.T.S. : Off

* Advanced Picture

o Video NR : Off

o 3DY/C Filter : Off

o Color Matrix : HD

o MPEG NR : Off

o Black Level : Light

o HD Size : HD1

Another member posted this earlier .. I have tried it myself and the PQ is awesome. But for the time being as I am still running in, I have set the brightness and contrast at 40/ 48 respectively.

Note: some options are not available on the Aus version picture menu.

from tweaktv.com

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

User Menu Settings

* Picture Modes

o Picture Mode : Custom

o Aspect Ratio : HD1

* Picture Settings

o Picture (Contrast) : +78

o Brightness : +55

o Color : +45

o Tint : -3

o Sharpness : +20

o Color Management : Off

o X.V. Color : Off

o C.A.T.S. : Off

* Advanced Picture

o Video NR : Off

o 3DY/C Filter : Off

o Color Matrix : HD

o MPEG NR : Off

o Black Level : Light

o HD Size : HD1

Thanks, much appreciated. I will give it a go tonight....

What should you do to run it in?

I know this is controversial subject and don't want to start a battle about the requirement to run in or not, I decided that I want to run mine in to be on the safe side - and just want to know what I should do.

Ta,

Rich.

I was just the same, so why not ei .. I downloaded the run-in images from http://www.eaprogramming.com/ and put them on a spare SD card. Overnight I let them run via the slide-show option, with 5 second intervals.

I have been doing this for the the past 3 weeks since ownership using the settings above but brightness to 40, and contrast to 48. This weekend I'll increase them both a bit more, maybe 45/ 58 for a few more weeks, then should be right to go B)

Will this stop burn-in ? Maybe/ maybe not .. but hey at least I've done something to try and prevent it or reduce the risks from it ever occurring.

Gotta enjoy the TV and just let it be :D

Edited by suprfast06

So anyone have any recommended settings for contrast/brightness/colour/sharpness etc?

Cheers

Using the 800U settings isn't an honest comparison since it has different Picture Modes [custom?] as well as features to our 800A, which would throw off the base settings.

In a dark room, with PC and 360 via HDMI

These are what I use on my 50PZ800A:

Viewing Mode: Cinema

Contrast: 75

Brightness: 47

Colour: 44

Sharpness: 50

Tint: -3

Colour Balance: Warm

Colour Management: Off

x.v Colour: Auto

P-NR: Off

Picture Overscan Off

Cinema mode definitely has better shadow detailing than Normal mode, along with more natural/softer colours. I found with many different sources and content, that setting the Brightness to anything much over ~47 just adds noise to the blacks. A Brightness of 55+ sends the black levels back a few generations IMO. You might find the Warm colour balance seems 'yellowish' at first, but you will get used to it, and then find the fluorescent-like lighting of Normal and Cool just too fake!

This TV is MUCH better with image retention than my PX60A, but it still won't take the 'screen abuse' that some high-contrast game HUDs can display. After a few long sessions [multiple days of 6-8 hrs] of Gears of War MP, I noticed quite an impression of the gun HUD in the top right corner whenever there was a white or sky blue background. Thankfully it's completely gone now, but it took a few days of FTA/movies to do so. Since I can't live without Gears of War I just turn the contrast way down, the brightness up and wash out the image somewhat which eliminates any noticeable retention.

I haven't had any similar IR problems with any other game, movie or PC use.

I love this TV, and I love that the black levels don't fluctuate like other plasmas I've had. :D

Interested to see more picture settings from others!

Hi All, Love the Forum..

I am about to purchase a TH50PZ800A and I am also in the process of building a HTPC using Fusion Remote Black..

The question I have is will it work fine to connect my HTPC via HDMI to the Panasonic and connect the optical from the HTPC to my Receiver....

Would anyone think this will cause any problems ???

Any help on this would be appreciated...

Cheers...

:D

Hi All, Love the Forum..

I am about to purchase a TH50PZ800A and I am also in the process of building a HTPC using Fusion Remote Black..

The question I have is will it work fine to connect my HTPC via HDMI to the Panasonic and connect the optical from the HTPC to my Receiver....

Yes your way will work fine,

Hpe you enjoy new TV, its dropping in price fast

IMO, Run everything direct into TV, then you don't have to turn on AMP everytime you want to hear other source, then optical from Panny to receiver. (then for super sound turn on receiver, turn down TV, not mute)

I rely on what connections I have (no receiver optical in, grrr)

This is also an excellent wife, kid friendly option.

IMO, Run everything direct into TV, then you don't have to turn on AMP everytime you want to hear other source, then optical from Panny to receiver. (then for super sound turn on receiver, turn down TV, not mute)

I rely on what connections I have (no receiver optical in, grrr)

This is also an excellent wife, kid friendly option.

This suggestion will only work for stereo, as the Panasonic won't pass through 5.1 from other sources through the optical out. It'll send the audio from its own digital tuner out in 5.1, but everything else just stereo.

So I would do things the old-fashioned way and route everything through the receiver, and get a universal remote that will turn the receiver on automatically!

Thanks Guys...

I think the best way to connect this Panasonic to my HTPC is via optical to receiver for audio ( get full sound quality ) and HDMI to Panasonic from HTPC for picture in highest quality..

If i want to watch HTPC without receiver just turn up the TV else if i want better audio turn on receiver and turn down the TV..

Does that sound about right ????

I live in Adelaide Australia - anyone know a good price for this TV ????

I can see online for AUD$2650 but I am sure I can get it cheaper then that...

Going to look at one today to see what they look like.. I have not read any bad words about it so it must be good :)