New Panasonic 50" Th-50pz800a

well i have watched sport on the 50' 700a and its fine, so im assuming the problem is the IFC feature that is only on the 800s.. Most people switch it off and have no problems. There is no way pana would bring out an inferior model especially for watching sport when the olympics are their major selling tool.

Edited by iron99

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been watching tennis and AFL on my new 42pz800a and no probs at all. Have not noticed the problems others speak of here. I have IFC off - definitely not a fan of IFC, they shouldn't have it on by default as it's like artificial colour and flavour in food, ie best avoided.

I'm just about to purchase a Panasonic th-42pz800a, thought I got a pretty good price on it ($1898.00) but the previously mentioned problems do concern me as I'm a sports fan especially football (soccer). I've tested out the old 700 and it worked fine. Has anyone watched sports via dvd or blu-ray disc on the 800? Does it have the same problems?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated otherwise it's back to the drawing board again, cheers.

I'm just about to purchase a Panasonic th-42pz800a, thought I got a pretty good price on it ($1898.00) but the previously mentioned problems do concern me as I'm a sports fan especially football (soccer). I've tested out the old 700 and it worked fine. Has anyone watched sports via dvd or blu-ray disc on the 800? Does it have the same problems?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated otherwise it's back to the drawing board again, cheers.

Get it, you won't be disappointed, the previously mentioned problems was the intelligent frame creation mode, turn it off and you are all sweet.

Get it, you won't be disappointed, the previously mentioned problems was the intelligent frame creation mode, turn it off and you are all sweet.

Cheers!

I'm getting the pana 500gb blu ray recorder with it, and I know I don't have to worry about that- heard nothing but great reviews for this device. Also heard the twin HD tuners in it work really well.

Yes I can confirm. IFC function is a no no if watching sport.

PS I just finished watching Fantastic 4 on BD on my mates 800 and was blown away by the film like smoothness of motion and sharpness colours plus contrast of this unit. Just hope the 50" will perform the same. I have no doubt it will.

PS I just finished watching Fantastic 4 on BD on my mates 800 and was blown away by the film like smoothness of motion and sharpness colours plus contrast of this unit. Just hope the 50" will perform the same. I have no doubt it will.

Does anyone have any recommendations about cabling and surge boards for hooking up the pana 42" 800a and the pana 500gb blu-ray recorder?. I noticed at Harvey Norman they were selling Belkin HDMI (Silver series) cables that only support 1080i for $200.00. Does this seem expensive?

Cheers Seismix.

What blu ray player was it, how did it run?

Nothing “smooth” about film motion, 24 frames per second sucks.

Does anyone have any recommendations about cabling and surge boards for hooking up the pana 42" 800a and the pana 500gb blu-ray recorder?. I noticed at Harvey Norman they were selling Belkin HDMI (Silver series) cables that only support 1080i for $200.00. Does this seem expensive?

Anyone who pays more than $30 for an HDMI(1080p)cable is an .... um... has too much money.

BTW been at HN today asked when the 50"800a is coming he said sometime next week.

Edited by rodadus

Try EzyHD or Selby Acoustics for realistic pricing on quality leads. No need to support Gerry and his overpriced peripherals

Try EzyHD or Selby Acoustics for realistic pricing on quality leads. No need to support Gerry and his overpriced peripherals

Thanks for the feedback.

Any thoughts on the panasonic th-42pz800a model? I went into a store today and asked if i could play a couple of different sport dvds on it and they said no, are they hiding anything or just lazy, definetly not getting my business.

Stampy,

Checkout this link also. Got my HDMI cables from spalmills who is a DTV member and they work great

http://members.iinet.net.au/~%20spaldo1@ozemail.com.au/

When i was buying my TV i asked to look at some FTA stuff to see what it looked like and the first guy said no. So i went and asked one of the other salesman and he changed it straight away for me. The first guy said he didnt want to do it just in case a rivals add came on !! I told him if he was confident in his prices that he shouldnt have anything to worry about. He didnt say anything more.

Edited by tigers68

Guest ITGIRL
Stampy,

Checkout this link also. Got my HDMI cables from spalmills who is a DTV member and they work great

http://members.iinet.net.au/~%20spaldo1@ozemail.com.au/

When i was buying my TV i asked to look at some FTA stuff to see what it looked like and the first guy said no. So i went and asked one of the other salesman and he changed it straight away for me. The first guy said he didnt want to do it just in case a rivals add came on !! I told him if he was confident in his prices that he shouldnt have anything to worry about. He didnt say anything more.

Hi Tigers68,

what sort of equipment did you hook the cables up to as my other half wants to upgrade from the elcheapos he bought when he installed the TV and didnt have time to look around for any decent ones. He wants to buy quality ones but is hesitant at only spend $20-00 on them.

Guest ITGIRL
Hello ITGIRL,

I just sent you a Personal Message.

UMMM OK, hope its not too personal , my other half will get jealous... :) but thanks i will have a look and get back to you

Hi, I have recently bought this screen and I must say I am very impressed! The percieved limitations of this screen, imo, are down to the broadcasters and the amount of bandwidth they allocate for there HD transmissions, ie, NOT ENOUGH! Especially where fast moving sport with small objects are concerned.

This I think is related to the flickering football issue which I have noticed as well and was very unimpressed. Taking the Intelligent frame control out of the equation certainly helps. Ive noticed the flickering only happens when the ball is spinning with the crowd in the bg...so you see the electronics trying to define this very small moving/spinning object against constanly changing bg (the crowd)...resulting in flickering. I would like to see how this is resolved in a higher BW transmission...I bet you it does'nt flicker. So considerring all this, i think IFC does a sort of ok job.

Switch across to the Tour De France and you'll see how IFC benefits that type sporting broadcast. Its horses for courses.

Have'nt seen any sport BR yet so cant comment.

As far as set up goes, heres whats working for me at he moment for FTA; Factory settings with contrast 65, NR-OFF, Viewing mode-normal, Color temp-normal,IFC-off for ball sports.

BTW, where did you get that price from...very good.

Cheers.

Flickering is never the fault of the transmission, its a display or deinterlacing problem.

Video compression does NOT cause flicker.

Hmmm ... i think flickering may be the wrong word here, as I have seen what is being referred to.' Pixelation' may be more accurate - so in this case would pixelation still be a display/deinterlacing problem?