Sign in to follow this  
andys

Sony W4000 - Owners Thread

Anyone interestered in a 40" W4000 less than 2 weeks old? (with or without PS3). I bought one of these after being told by a couple of stores they wouldn't get the 46" until after July (and after PS3 promo ended), and now see some stores have the 46" and I'd really prefer the 46" if I can offload my current 40". If not, I'll stick with the 40" :wacko: I'm in Melbourne and can deliver within Melb for free

Btw - they are a very nice TV, better than the 2007 X/XBR from comparisons I've done.

edit: added location

Edited by johnny5

Anyone interestered in a 40" W4000 less than 2 weeks old? (with or without PS3). I bought one of these after being told by a couple of stores they wouldn't get the 46" until after July (and after PS3 promo ended), and now see some stores have the 46" and I'd really prefer the 46" if I can offload my current 40". If not, I'll stick with the 40" :wacko:

Btw - they are a very nice TV, better than the 2007 X/XBR from comparisons I've done.

Yeah, for sure. Are you in Melbourne? Email me, perhaps we can work something out. I'd definitely want the PS3 offer as well, have you redeemed this already? Edited by Stryder

Yeah, for sure. Are you in Melbourne? Email me, perhaps we can work something out. I'd definitely want the PS3 offer as well, have you redeemed this already?

denright(at)gmail.com

I've emailed you, and thanks, yes I'll edit my post to put in location (Melbourne).

I've emailed you, and thanks, yes I'll edit my post to put in location (Melbourne).

Got your PM, no worries.

Edited by Stryder

Yeah, just resent it as well, anyway, I just PM'd you the email contents if it doesn't work again

Bought the 46W4000 last week and the store is telling me Sony are being very uncooperative with its delivery. They say Sony are trying to get rid of other older models and therefore are refusing to send any of the new models out. I see above someone has seen the 46W in Melbourne so there must be some out there. I have the guarantee from the store that even if the set doesn't come in during July they will make sure i get my PS3. Still, I'd like the TV now or at least before the olympics. Anyone else having delivery problems??

Bloody hell i'm still waiting for mine to come. Anybody in Sydney got theirs already?

I'm thinking of cancelling my order with HN and getting it from DSE so i also get the GPS and crap

Yeah I got mine from Sony Central (Melb) which seem to have a small amount of them

an excellent TV very happy with it

cheers

Edited by johnny5

Got quoted an offer from Domanye in Canberra for the 52W4000 $3,900 - is this a good price for this model?

W series is finished. Sold to well.

beleive it or not. Sony are already out of stock.

new W arriving in a few months. It was always a stop gap until new model arrives.

I would get any promises in writing. Alot of pre-oreders wont be filled.

Get a V instead. Only 8 v 10 bit.

Has anyone tried SD material on the 40W4000?

I'm mainly concerned about SD gaming and other interlaced content. A lot of conflicting info in various forums.

According to the hdtv review, "SD film mode deinterlacing is non-existent."

The Samsung a650 on the other hand seems great for SD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....88#post13731688

Unfortunately the Samsung has bad input lag.

Has anyone tried SD material on the 40W4000?

Yep, and its probably the best I've seen on LCD's, although I haven't looked at the new Samsungs much which apparently also do SD very well too.

I haven't noticed the deinterlcaing issue mentioned on the hdtv review, but maybe there just hasn't been an example of it yet from the viewing I've done.

rgds

W series is finished. Sold to well.

beleive it or not. Sony are already out of stock.

new W arriving in a few months. It was always a stop gap until new model arrives.

I would get any promises in writing. Alot of pre-oreders wont be filled.

Get a V instead. Only 8 v 10 bit.

I'm stunned!!! Phone call to my retailer just confirmed this. Sony has discontinued the whole W4000 series because too many people have ordered them and they can't supply them! Not sure where this leaves my order for a 46W4000 but I'm sure it won't be here in time for the Olympics. I have suggested they give me a 46X3100 instead for the same price. See where that gets me? They are still guaranteeing my PS3 though. Stay tuned

Rev

I'm stunned!!! Phone call to my retailer just confirmed this. Sony has discontinued the whole W4000 series because too many people have ordered them and they can't supply them! Not sure where this leaves my order for a 46W4000 but I'm sure it won't be here in time for the Olympics. I have suggested they give me a 46X3100 instead for the same price. See where that gets me? They are still guaranteeing my PS3 though. Stay tuned

Rev

I've gone thru this loop today as well with JB HiFi. A Perth store manager spoke to the "Sony Distribution Warehouse" (?) who told them that even that store's existing order for 6 off 46W4000 has been cancelled due to that product line being discontinued.

What is interesting/annoying is that Sony Central in Perth claim they can get them....and so do Sony themselves when I spoke to their 'customer care' people, who deny any knowledge of any such discontinuation. I then got JB to call Sony again, and the same story came back, with the added comment from the Sony warehouse that the customer care people are misinformed!!

Either a) there is a machavellian channel strategy going on here (Sony shops can get them, but not other retailers), or B) Sony customer care is wrong, wrong wrong.

I'm peeved because I have to go thru JB as it is an extended warranty claim, and doubly so because after 2 months of research I had my heart set on a 46W4000....Dunno what Plan B is....(not Bravia X3100 due to too many anecdotal problems with clouding etc, not Samsung as dont want gloss screen, not LG just because, not Phillips because too expensive...maybe Sharp??)

I've gone thru this loop today as well with JB HiFi. A Perth store manager spoke to the "Sony Distribution Warehouse" (?) who told them that even that store's existing order for 6 off 46W4000 has been cancelled due to that product line being discontinued.

What is interesting/annoying is that Sony Central in Perth claim they can get them....and so do Sony themselves when I spoke to their 'customer care' people, who deny any knowledge of any such discontinuation. I then got JB to call Sony again, and the same story came back, with the added comment from the Sony warehouse that the customer care people are misinformed!!

Either a) there is a machavellian channel strategy going on here (Sony shops can get them, but not other retailers), or B) Sony customer care is wrong, wrong wrong.

I'm peeved because I have to go thru JB as it is an extended warranty claim, and doubly so because after 2 months of research I had my heart set on a 46W4000....Dunno what Plan B is....(not Bravia X3100 due to too many anecdotal problems with clouding etc, not Samsung as dont want gloss screen, not LG just because, not Phillips because too expensive...maybe Sharp??)

My belief (and that of the retailer) is that this is a supply problem. How can they discontinue a brand new product? Has it been discontinued anywhere else in the world? I reckon it is simply a matter of Sony not having enough panels to be able to fulfill current demand. That would mean the panel should become available again at some stage for those willing to wait until after the Olympics.

As for plan B....yes the 46 W4000 looked like coming up with the goods on price and quality but it was untested in this country. Who knows what anecdotal problems would have emerged if anyone was lucky enough to get one of these units. I'm tipping it was not going to be much better then an X3100. Better contrast maybe.....

Sharp and Sony were my 2 preferred TVs and it was only the PS3 that tipped the balance, mainly for its ability to play Blu Ray. You can get a Sharp D83 for a very similar price to the W4000. Just no PS3.

My 2 cents

Rev

I heard this story yesterday from Joyce Mayne as I had a 46w400 on order.They offered me the x for the same price. This panel is for my Mum, I have a 46x and I only ordered this one to compare the new panel with last years. I went to Wow just to verify the story and yep no more w's for a month but we have 2 out the back. Just a fluke really. I spent most of last night compering the 2 panels and I am keeping the new w and Mum gets the old x. The w is so good at sd its remarkable. Motion is perfect 10 and judder is non existant,no clouding. It even sounds good. Hope they get some more of these panels in the future.

The w is so good at sd its remarkable. Motion is perfect 10 and judder is non existant.

Just goes to show you need to use your own eyes and judgement when buying these panels. I watched a W4000 (and a V4000), and to my eyes there was distinct juddering - most noticeably in pans and tracking shots. This was not noticeable in other panels next to them (an X and a Samsung 650) being fed the same signal.

It's good that you're happy with yours, but I wouldn't be able to live with it.

What were you watching to see judder I have been lokking at this thing beside my x and it nails it.

Edited by xtractdigit

It was 7HD. I presume all the sets were being fed an RF input, with each TV using its own tuner. I checked them out at different times on different days, so I saw cartoons, as well as some US drama show. Most of the time they were fine, but like I said, on tracking shots and pans, I noticed the background juddering, enough to distract me.

Try Sony Central as I ended up getting my 46" W4000 there because I also had similar problems with other stores not getting stock of them. I don't know why the W series are so hard to get, maybe Sony want to clear the 2007 Bravia's during the PS3 promotion? maybe thats a bit cynical but I can't see why they are so limited presently. I would definitely recommend one over the 2007 W/X/XBR's, and it's worth the extra hunting around if you can find one.

Are the W versions the same as the ones in the EU or the "Asia pacific" spec?

I came acrooss a comment on another forum which suggested that there was a difference, with the Asian one missing some features. I believe the ones down here are made in Malaysia.

Sony AU don't have the manual on their site.

I will check my 'paper' manual against the Asian online manual. From what I've seen so far against the UK version, we have a few more settings, I -think- that the UK version cannot disable the light sensor, where as on the AUS model you definitely can, and I have turned off the light sensor on mine.

rgds

I am having a bit of trouble when I try to use the Hdmi theatre sync between the w4000 and sony dvd player . They both see each other but the remote for tv doesnt control the dvd.

I heard that the current W4000 series will be re-released as W4500 in a few months.

I reckon they need to clear the old X-Series and V with the PS3 offer rather than the new cheeper W series.

Hard to justify an X series over the W for the extra $$ when the difference between the picture quality is really neither here nor there.