Sign in to follow this  
andys

Sony W4000 - Owners Thread

Saw a 40" W4000 in the flesh today, one of the best looking TV's I seen in recent times. I've read a fair bit on avforums.com about the new W series, and read UK reviews of which most are glowing. Although in the Sony store all they had was FTA attached to it, I wasn't that impressed with the SD, HD looked fine. I know many people say the TV's aren't calibrated well (if at all) in the shop, but I expected a better picture considering how many reviews say SD on these is approaching plasma quality.

Anyway, was a bit rushed, I will go back tomorrow for a further look and tinker :)

...I will go back tomorrow for a further look and tinker :)

Would you be able to test whether the EPG functionality has been implemented? There's no reference to it in the spec on sony.com.au, but it's working in the UK so there should be a button on the remote.

Would you be able to test whether the EPG functionality has been implemented? There's no reference to it in the spec on sony.com.au, but it's working in the UK so there should be a button on the remote.

where has the 32 inch v series been seen in melbourne any prices yet - thanks

There are actually reports of blue sparkles on that thread. They dont sound like a deal breaker though.

Im more interested in whether someone can confirm auto dim can be defeated.

And Channel change speed (a pet hate of mine)

And the EPG as mentioned by someone up above.

Ill go looking for one in chatswood at lunch time myself too.

There are actually reports of blue sparkles on that thread. They dont sound like a deal breaker though.

Im more interested in whether someone can confirm auto dim can be defeated.

And Channel change speed (a pet hate of mine)

And the EPG as mentioned by someone up above.

Ill go looking for one in chatswood at lunch time myself too.

If you could post what you find that would be great. Keen to know as well.

HI, Is there any big difference between V4000 and W4000 series?

They are both Full HD TV.

V4000- 8 bit panel

W4000-10 bit panel

HI, Is there any big difference between V4000 and W4000 series?

They are both Full HD TV.

V4000- 8 bit panel

W4000-10 bit panel

The W4000 has usb port for photo viewing. In terms of picture quality it is better as being the 10 bit panel, plus features like x.v.Colour, Live Colour Creation & PhotoTV HD. Also aesthetic wise the W4000 is better looking as it has silver speaker grill. But if you plan to go smaller than 40" then you will have no choice but to go with the V4000.

Edited by Nelz

The W4000 has usb port for photo viewing. In terms of picture quality it is better as being the 10 bit panel, plus features like x.v.Colour, Live Colour Creation & PhotoTV HD. Also aesthetic wise the W4000 is better looking as it has silver speaker grill. But if you plan to go smaller than 40" then you will have no choice but to go with the V4000.

Hi,

From what I see, both V4000 and W4000 have silver speaker grill. And they look almost the same.

I agree with the 10 bit panel and photoTV, but where do you find about X.v colour, live colour creation and USB?

I'm under the impression that V4000 also have USB port

Hi,

From what I see, both V4000 and W4000 have silver speaker grill. And they look almost the same.

I agree with the 10 bit panel and photoTV, but where do you find about X.v colour, live colour creation and USB?

I'm under the impression that V4000 also have USB port

From Sony UK website, more details than Sony Australia website.

W4000

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...+Sony+BRAVIA+TV

V4000

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...+Sony+BRAVIA+TV

Edited by Nelz

I was quoted $2290 for 40W4000 in Myer Sydney today. It will be available after 19th July.

Paid 2150 for KDL40W4000 today, arriving in about a week or so. Sounds like an ok price

Hi Mate, as usual, will you be able to post your invoice to somewhere please?

Yes it has, I went back and checked, it's pretty similar to what you see on the UK one, I even went to the geeky step of taking a picture of it on my phone, so if it is reasonably clear I'll post it. The EPG crams alot on the screen which I think is good being able to see so much channel info at once.

I'm almost convinced to buy this TV now, as I adjusted the settings as SD FTA did look very average but changing the picture mode from vivid (why do they make vivid?) to standard, and adjusting the colour setting made a decent difference, and SD started to look good for LCD standards. HD/Bluray both look excellent.

I have one thing holding me back, I don't know if it was just the display model, but SD had a distored picture. What I mean is, it was like the aspect was wrong in the outside thirds of the screen. I didn't notice it at first, but then I realised something was amiss, and it became very evident when highlights of wimbledon were on, and the diagonal lines of the tennis court were obviously bowed, so I don't know if that is fixable by a setting or a larger problem existed.

I have one thing holding me back, I don't know if it was just the display model, but SD had a distored picture. What I mean is, it was like the aspect was wrong in the outside thirds of the screen. I didn't notice it at first, but then I realised something was amiss, and it became very evident when highlights of wimbledon were on, and the diagonal lines of the tennis court were obviously bowed, so I don't know if that is fixable by a setting or a larger problem existed.

It would have been on "wide zoom" mode. It's where a 4:3 picture can be displayed at full screen. It basically stretches the outer edges of the picture to fill the screen. That's all it would have been.

Did you notice the Auto-Dim???

I bought my 40 inch V4000 for 1930 + 2 years extended warranty for 90 dollars.

I'm located at WA country, so it is expected that people on the city will pay less. But I'm quite happy with the buy.

Just to confirm that V4000 comes with USB port, Live Colour and Photo Frame. They are not mentioned in the spec.

It would have been on "wide zoom" mode. It's where a 4:3 picture can be displayed at full screen. It basically stretches the outer edges of the picture to fill the screen. That's all it would have been.

Did you notice the Auto-Dim???

Yeah I think you're right, I downloaded the manual today and it looks like it is one of those settings, although it did look like the whole picture was on the screen as opposed to some zoom modes I've seen where there is some of the picture off the screen.

With Auto-dim, I didn't really notice it, but I saw a setting for it that appeared that it was set to 'off'. I'm sure I read that the UK version it couldn't be turned off so not sure if we have a slight update there? Might check it again today.

Yeah I think you're right, I downloaded the manual today and it looks like it is one of those settings, although it did look like the whole picture was on the screen as opposed to some zoom modes I've seen where there is some of the picture off the screen.

With Auto-dim, I didn't really notice it, but I saw a setting for it that appeared that it was set to 'off'. I'm sure I read that the UK version it couldn't be turned off so not sure if we have a slight update there? Might check it again today.

Yeah on the Sony's on a 4:3 pictur you can stretch the edges out to fill the screen, while the centre of the picture stays in the correct aspect. I couldn't see anyone ever using it. It looks like crap.

Let us know if there is a setting for Auto-dim.

Yeah on the Sony's on a 4:3 pictur you can stretch the edges out to fill the screen, while the centre of the picture stays in the correct aspect. I couldn't see anyone ever using it. It looks like crap.

Let us know if there is a setting for Auto-dim.

Yeah it must have been the zoom setting, haven't noticed it checking that setting.

It does have a setting for Autodim, I just turned it off then, so thats an improvement on the UK or US version whichever one you couldn't change it.

Anyone got a 46" or 40" w4000?

What price did you guys pay?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I saw the 40W4000 and 40V4000 today at a Sony store here in Melbourne. IMO the 40W4000 looks better than the 40V4000, that also applies to PQ too. The price from Sony store is same as on the website RRP $2699. Also I went to visit Harvey Norman QV and got quoted $2340 with 5 years warranty included for pre-order as they don't have them in stock yet.

Anyone got a 46" or 40" w4000?

What price did you guys pay?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

40W4000 $2160 + $169 for 5 year warranty

Maybe not the lowest price, but I am happy with it.