Sony W4000 - Owners Thread

I heard that the current W4000 series will be re-released as W4500 in a few months.

I reckon they need to clear the old X-Series and V with the PS3 offer rather than the new cheeper W series.

Hard to justify an X series over the W for the extra $$ when the difference between the picture quality is really neither here nor there.

When I asked Bing Lee if they had any W4000s in stock I was told they couldn't even order them in but had W4500s in their system but had no idea on when they would get them.

Not that it matters, ended up buying the 52" W4000 for $3,800 which gets delivered this Friday, can't wait. :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will check my 'paper' manual against the Asian online manual. From what I've seen so far against the UK version, we have a few more settings, I -think- that the UK version cannot disable the light sensor, where as on the AUS model you definitely can, and I have turned off the light sensor on mine.

rgds

Thanks mate.

Here are some posts that may help.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=114

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...p;postcount=173

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...;postcount=1610

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread....00A#post6860586

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.ph...;postcount=2754

The situation regarding my 46W4000 seems to be improving. I am informed it will be delivered to the store at the end of the week or early next week at the latest. I can only hope I am not being given the run around again. I, like others, called the Sony customer centre number on their website. They informed me that there was no issue with supply of these units and they had some in stock and they knew nothing of the model being discontinued. Plausible deniability???

I'll let you know if I actually do get the unit as promised and whether the PS3 follows from it. I had a lengthy argument with the Sony guy about the PS3 and ended up telling him that if I didn't get it the ACCC would become involved because it would be blatant false advertising.

Rev

What were you watching to see judder I have been lokking at this thing beside my x and it nails it.

With motion not a chance. Theres an improvement regarding the very 'slight ' smearing issue some X series sets are prone to but concerning keeping resolution on panning shots, judder & pixelation free sport the X series is still ahead. And so it should be being the current top model.

Hard to justify an X series over the W for the extra $$ when the difference between the picture quality is really neither here nor there.

Maybe it is, unless you know what your looking for & until you get it home & discover 50hz just doesnt cut it & the upscaling of SD material to 1080p is average. :o

Edited by MrMan

Lol. If your ready to believe, your easy to decieve.

Hey MrMan

I believe xtractdigit said he has both which puts him in a pretty sound position to make a call.

Have you even seen the W4000 side by side with an X3100? Check it out for yourself instead of relying on specs then come back and post your thoughts. You might be surprised. I certainly was. Well, not really since others already posted their findings.

If anything, the new X (or Z or whatever it will be called here) is something to really look forward to.

Edited by ponlesabor

With motion not a chance. Theres an improvement regarding the very 'slight ' smearing issue some X series sets are prone to but concerning keeping resolution on panning shots, judder & pixelation free sport the X series is still ahead. And so it should be being the current top model.

Maybe it is, unless you know what your looking for & until you get it home & discover 50hz just doesnt cut it & the upscaling of SD material to 1080p is average. :o

You've repeatedly said this, have you actually seen an W4000 and done and testing/comparisons? Doesn't seem like it, as the W4000's do SD material better than X/XBR, and even though the X/XBR is the top of the line Bravia's they are 2007 series, which are starting to date now with 2008 series Bravia's arriving.

Maybe have a peruse of some of the UK forums concering this and you'll see most people agree. To me it sounds like you're trying to justify your purchase of a 2007 X/XBR?? As I'm wondering why you're being so bias towards it

johnny5,

Could you please check if your W4000 has these options?

In the advanced picture menu -> "Clear White", "Gamma", "Adv Contrast Enhancer", and "Black Corrector".

The option for deactivating overscan for 720p sources.

Also is there an optical out?

TIA.

johnny5,

Could you please check if your W4000 has these options?

In the advanced picture menu -> "Clear White", "Gamma", "Adv Contrast Enhancer", and "Black Corrector".

The option for deactivating overscan for 720p sources.

Also is there an optical out?

TIA.

Out of the one's you've mentioned it has Adv Contrast Enhancer, none of the other three unless they are named something else.

There is an optical out.

Not quite sure what you mean for deactivating overscan for 720p, but you can set auto or full pixel in terms of overscan, on FTA I leave it on auto as it adjust all sources to fit the screen (noticed when I had it full pixel that some 9HD programs didn't use all the screen), and on my HTPC I set it to full pixel as I'm outputting 1080p.

rgds

Thanks fo the info.

I copied my previous post from threads that discussed the "Asian pacific" model.

It seems like it's a different spec [hopefully].

Yeah it is, I compared manuals, and while overall similar there were a lot of difference settings, the layout seemed better for the AUS one as well.

very happy with my W4000 tv but have a few questions with the upgrade from my old crt tv :P

This might be a silly question.. but unless I've miss something blatantly obvious, there seems to be no way of assigning your own channel numbers to the digital channels on the tv. Is this standard across all TVs for dtv channels? The W4000 uses 'channel numbers' to tune and 'program numbers' to switch between the different broadcasts. Is there a way of customizing the program numbers (and not just swaping them around under digital tuning settings)?

love all the additional info that comes with digital broadcast, and how the W4000 makes them available. another question which came to me - a lot of the stations now broadcast at 25hz and at the various resolutions. Does the 25hz signal translate directly to 25hz framerate on the tv, if so does that mean the tv isn't displaying at the 50hz which it is capable of? And with X & XBR series.. does this 25hz signal get interpolated x4 (which seems like a lot of frames to add) to provide the 100hz which our W series miss out on?

Hey guys i just got a 46W4000 - its great. Few questions

1. the usb in is only for photos i assume, no plans on mp3 or video playback?

2. The DM port thats on it - what the hell is it. Can i connect my Creative Zen to it?

Thanks

1. Yep, USB for photo viewing, nothing else.

2. Digital Media port, Sony propriatory I think, so unless you have other Sony A/V gear, it isn't really useable.

So now that a few people managed to get the W4000 (seems like only a few, Sony didn't offer many, maybe waiting to clear the 2007 series Bravia's?), anyway, so what have people found to be the best settings?

I find that most of the defaults are actually pretty good. For general all purpose watching, I use 'Standard' picture mode and change colour temperature to 'neutral' as I find warm1 and warm2 has too much redness/pink in skin tones. The other setting I changed was the colour space, I changed it to 'normal' (I think) as the default of wide makes colours a bit too flourescent/bright.

Also, check when you are chainging things that you have the light sensor off (and turn back on afterwards if you prefer it to be on), as otherwise you will be calibrating the picture depending on whatever ambient light is in the room :)

So now that a few people managed to get the W4000 (seems like only a few, Sony didn't offer many, maybe waiting to clear the 2007 series Bravia's?), anyway, so what have people found to be the best settings?

I find that most of the defaults are actually pretty good. For general all purpose watching, I use 'Standard' picture mode and change colour temperature to 'neutral' as I find warm1 and warm2 has too much redness/pink in skin tones. The other setting I changed was the colour space, I changed it to 'normal' (I think) as the default of wide makes colours a bit too flourescent/bright.

I use 'Cinema' mode with upped brightness, colour temp 'neutral', sharpness 3, and MPEG noise reduction off, and nosie reduction off. I'm still yet to find a good setting...

Does anyone connect their PC's to their W4000?

What cable do you use?

I was thinking about getting a DVI->HDMI cable as my video card only has 2 DVI out. Will this work? Or does my video card (6600 GT) need to have that HDCP thing, which i'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Does anyone connect their PC's to their W4000?

What cable do you use?

I was thinking about getting a DVI->HDMI cable as my video card only has 2 DVI out. Will this work? Or does my video card (6600 GT) need to have that HDCP thing, which i'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Yep that should work fine, I'm outputting to HDMI via my HTPC in 1080p.

• 2 weeks later...

For those in Perth, yesterday much to my delight I managed to secure one of the last ever 46W4000's from JB HiFi. The Osborne Park and Joondalup stores both have a few left in stock for those who thought they were gone forever.

BTW, Sony apparently are now calling the W4000's an "Event Model", meaning they were released in Oz specially/only for the PS3 promotion....

FWIW, after weeks of agonising, I chose the doubleya over the Samsung A650 purely because of following two undeniable differences between the two: The much lower reflectivity of the Sony screen; and the fact that the Sony's remote control is almost the same as our Sony Bravia V2000, meaning no learning curve for the rest of the family. I otherwise could not differentiate the two based on Price, PQ, features or frequency of reported "Bugs" (power offs, sparkles et al).

Delivery tomorrow :D