Sony W4000 - Owners Thread

40W4000 $2160 + $169 for 5 year warranty

Maybe not the lowest price, but I am happy with it.

Can I ask which store you got this price from? is it from Victoria?

Edited by Nelz

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 W4000 quoted at $2200 + 179 5yr (could be 3yrs kinda forgot this part :wacko:B)^_^:huh: ) Warranty at JB HiFi Watergardens VIC

Could probably do a little better if i haggled harder but not ready to buy yesterday as still undecided on whether to go for this or the x series for a little more money

40 W4000 quoted at $2200 + 179 5yr (could be 3yrs kinda forgot this part :wacko:B)^_^:huh: ) Warranty at JB HiFi Watergardens VIC

Could probably do a little better if i haggled harder but not ready to buy yesterday as still undecided on whether to go for this or the x series for a little more money

I live near Watergardens, does that mean they already have the 40W4000 in stock or did they tell you a date?

Can someone help me with the best settings for PC? I'm using DVI->HDMI @ 1920x1080 60hz, 1:1, turned all processing off. But I get some colour bleeding and it's very annoying! (especially red text on black background) The text aren't as sharp as it should be either..

I live near Watergardens, does that mean they already have the 40W4000 in stock or did they tell you a date?

No stock yet but said they expected it next week so i am planning on calling Friday to see if they have it that weekend or week after unless i buy somewhere else beforehand.

Can I ask which store you got this price from? is it from Victoria?

I bought it from Bing Lee, Haymarket, Sydney. I didn't haggle as I have known the guy for a long time, I believe he gave me the best price he could.

I don't think this is the best price in the market though. Firstly, he is not a manager, secondly, Sony price to different retailers might be different.

However, I did save a few bucks on delivery as I live very close to the store and I am going to pick it up myself.

Thanks to all for your posts. Today I finally made a purchase and perhaps I can help out others by posting my price research. I am in Melbourne so this should help those Melburnians who have been getting relatively bad prices. I was shopping for the best deal between Sharp and Sony brands and finally decided on the Sony KDL46W4000 for $2700 at Camberwell Electrics (no. I didn't buy anything else or get the extended warranty). If you have never heard of this store I highly recommend you call them last. I have used them for all sorts of electrical appliances and they have never failed to beat any genuine price! Anyway, other prices I got were as follows

Sony KDL46X3100 - $3000 - Camberwell Electrics

Sharp LC46D83X - $2800 - Camberwell Electrics

Sharp LC46D63X - $2500 - Good Guys, JB, HN

Sharp LC52PD7X - $2700 - JB

Sharp LC46PD7X - $1850 - Retravision at Knox (they have about 6 and want to get rid of them. This was almost too hard to refuse.)

Homecast HT8000 PVR - $540 - Good Guys

These were all over the phone offers except the actual purchase and the Homecast purchase which I ended up getting from JB for $250 because I didn't want to wait for GG to get an order in.

I will copy this post to a number of relevant threads and hope it helps someone.

Thinking of starting a business on the side as a retail broker. I'll take 10% of what I save you on the ticket price. Anyone interested??

Cheers,

REV

Hi Ive just bought a kdl-40w4000 for $2100. I am having a problem with getting native resolution of the TV with PC input. Put simply it defaults to my native laptop res (1360x768) and my laptop dosnt recognise that the TV is capable of 1920x1080. any help appreciated ...

Hi Ive just bought a kdl-40w4000 for $2100. I am having a problem with getting native resolution of the TV with PC input. Put simply it defaults to my native laptop res (1360x768) and my laptop dosnt recognise that the TV is capable of 1920x1080. any help appreciated ...

Is your laptop's graphics card capable of displaying such a high resolution ? It looks like a problem with the card rather than the TV.

1360x768 is the max res via VGA on this tv, you need hdmi to get 1080p

After that, Let me know the best settings to use hehe. I'm getting bad colour bleeding :(

Edited by a17168202

Is your laptop's graphics card capable of displaying such a high resolution ? It looks like a problem with the card rather than the TV.

thanks kulfi, I tried my desktop computer and achieved the native resolution of the kdl-40w4000 (1920x1080). That was using a DVI - HDMI cable. Unfortunately my laptop only has a VGA output and am currently still getting rather dodgy results. will keep trying though

1360x768 is the max res via VGA on this tv, you need hdmi to get 1080p

After that, Let me know the best settings to use hehe. I'm getting bad colour bleeding :(

unsure what you mean by colour bleeding, but the overrall quality of the picture at 1920x1080 for me is not the best, but is passable. Im thinking the reason might be the DVI - HDMI conversion. The VGA picture I get at 1360x768 is excellent however, just cant fit much on the screen :P

the overrall quality of the picture at 1920x1080 for me is not the best, but is passable. Im thinking the reason might be the DVI - HDMI conversion.

There is no 'conversion' - DVI and HDMI signals are electrically compatible.

Unless you only have DVI-A, which you don't, because that just wouldn't work, full stop.

Ok, I've been playing with the tv for the last few hours and finally worked it out. When I turn the resolution down to 1280x1024 or lower the tv goes into computer mode and disables all processing, and the picture is great! BUT, when it goes above 1280x1024, it starts to do additional processing (as colours become richer, but oversharpened and colour bleeding problem occurs). It's VERY annoying!!! ARGH! :angry2::angry2: If there's no fix I might try return the tv.

Edited by a17168202

hah from your photos i think my "blurry" is your "bleeding" - looks like im having the same issue.

nevertheless its my laptop which i want to use the KDL-40w4000 with. It dual boots vista and ubuntu(linux). Im getting good results in ubuntu at 1360x768, but vista is giving me plenty of issues. ATM i cant get a widescreen res (not even 1360x768) and will only display at 1024x768 or lower. i think i need to update my nvidia control panel software. any other tips are appreciated :)

Just paid $2150 for the 40" w4000 + $150 for a extra 4 year warranty.

JB HiFi, Canberra

Great price, got mine for $2320 (2041 + 279) 4 years extended warranty included from JB-HiFi Watergardens, VIC.

Guest Morkai

i picked up my 40W4000 today, and it looks brilliant so far, plugged it in, it picked up all the channels automatically, and as far as i've noticed, there's no auto-dimming going on (keep in mind that i've only read the first few posts of the page, so i don't know if someone mentioned it)

Can either of yoiu guys scan a receipt please as i am looking for a W4000 in a few days

my email is frog_a_lot @ hotmail.com

You shouldnt need a recipt to get this price.

All I said was "How much can co you it for?"

The first price was he gave was $2150. I saw ppl here getting it for about that so I was happy.

Pushed a little on the warranty to get it from $279 to $150.

Interestingly, the recipt had the telly for $2021 and the extra warranty for $279 for a total of $2300.

Guest Morkai
the reviews say it happens when the scene is mostly dark, eg. the end credits of a movie.

where are you located btw, as im still waiting for mine :(

hmm... i was watching Las Vegas last night, and the majority of that show is at night, i guess it's not dark enough to set it off...

i'm in the sutherland shire in sydney, i got mine from Domayne Caringbah, signed the form for GE Finance, drove around the corner to the warehouse, picked it up, no worries.

Hey guys, what's the availability like on this set? I'm waiting for one to come in to my local Retravision but it sounds like it might be a while. Anyone got a clue as to how long I could be waiting?

Oh, this is for the KDL-40W4000 btw.