Sony W4000 - Owners Thread

Thought we might as well get this one started as sets hit stores in the next couple of days. The only real negative from reviews so far is the Auto Dimming feature, which you can't switch off. You would imagine a software update to add a menu option to switch it off would be the solution, but how often do Sony release software updates for their TV's? A member of the avsforum found a kind of way of getting around it. Some of his comments below:

"Autodimming: this feature was put in by sony to reduce clouds by dimming the backlight in black scenes or mostly black scenes. the annoying thing about it is that it can't be turned off, so the backlight fluctuations do occur in movies with particularly dark scenes where most of the screen is black such as the credits at the end of the movie. it does get really annoying at times, for instance, when the credits were rolling with only a few names at the beginning, the backlight dims because it detects a mostly black screen. but then when more white texts and words rolled in, the backlight brightens up again because the screen wasn't mostly black anymore.

So you can imagine that it is even more annoying when this happens in the middle of the movie because when the backlight dims, it dims everything else on the screen such as colors and shadow detail. it is pretty subtle though and it doesn't dim all the time (only in very dark and mostly black movie scenes), but when it does, it is annoying as hell. I found a way to disable it, two ways actually. One is by turning ON the light sensor, but this only works in a completely dark room. so if the sensor only sees the dark, it keeps the backlight at the lowest level and never brightens. The other way is to just turn the ACE setting to HIGH which lowers the backlight somewhat(I just upped the backlight 1 notch and it evens out) but it stopped the autodimming."

Cheers.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many threads on these models ... I think auto dim is defeatable on our model which is different to US model.

Review of uk w series which sounds identical to our model.....

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W4000/

... lag on par with crt, no smearing, and just a bit more blur than 100hz tvs???? And fast channel changes and defeatable auto dimming?

Seems to have entirely overcome sonys worst problems???

They seem to know their stuff ... if they are right ill buy one in a second.

Juddering isnt an LCD thing its a film based - plasmas have identical judder IMO.

After months and months tweaking the X series on AVS forums the best settings seem to bo "game mode - no motion flow". Most people find the same on the A650 too ... I really dont think lack of 100hz is an issue at all if lag, smearing and blur is all as per the UK review above..

Juddering isnt an LCD thing its a film based - plasmas have identical judder IMO.

After months and months tweaking the X series on AVS forums the best settings seem to bo "game mode - no motion flow". Most people find the same on the A650 too ... I really dont think lack of 100hz is an issue at all if lag, smearing and blur is all as per the UK review above..

Cool thanks for that, i did notice with 100hz when names or something are scrolling across the screen it is super clear, i hope these new sony's replicate that.

Is motionflow and 100hz a same thing, or they are two different settings?

Is motionflow and 100hz a same thing, or they are two different settings?

100hz is refresh rate, but on lcd it just enables interpolation/amp/motionflow and can help 24p if it does 120hz as per us models (which i expect they do).

50 hz can do 24p well on some tvs so 100hz is more about motionflow, which I ended up hating and cnet says is best left off.

and im sure the w4000 will be doable for 2100 or less if you find a savy salesman.

Which reminds me of a comedians joke about why indians dont like chinese people ... because indians dont pay full price and asians dont give discounts ... funny but often true with tv salesmen ... im also told its fact by my korean friend ha ha

Edited by mantronic

The new W series & V series have now been listed on the Sony Oz website.

Looks like the only difference between the W & the V is the new backlighting & the Photo TV HD (Digital Photo Frame) on the W. V series only goes up to 40".

Andy.

Edited by andys

Looks like the only difference between the W & the V is the new backlighting & the Photo TV HD (Digital Photo Frame) on the W. V series only goes up to 40".

Is the new backlighting in the W series significantly better than the backlighting used the the V series to warrant spending the extra $300? The digital photo frame is useless for me and the designs are almost identical, so its just this backlighting thats got me twisted....

Ah i see

Well the 'features' tab shows

Key features

* Full HD 1080

* 1920 x 1080p LCD panel

* Integrated HD Digital Tuner

* BRAVIA Engine 2

* 10 Bit Panel

and then the 'specs' tab shows its 8 bit.

Well 8bit panel makes more sense lookin at the price difference with W series.

So i guess W4000 for me :D

Spoke with the guys at JBhifi today about the kdl40w4000 and they said their records showed it should be arriving on tuesday (1st july) weather it does or not is to be seen tho. I'm hoping it does, i've been putting off getting a tv for too long. new 40w + free ps3 FTW

any of you owners experiencing the sparkle problem i linked to?

Don't think anyone here has one yet, probably will within a week or so. From what I've read on the 'sparkles' issue is that you can only see it when very close to the TV, less than 1m.