Panasonic Th-50pz800a Rrp $3649-

guys one thing to remeber when comparing plasma's to lcd's at stores like JB Hifi which normally have quite a bit of lighting is that you will be seeing the colour of the panel rather then its ability to display black.

what i mean by this is if you have any light on a pioneer kuro panel you will find that the glass is a light greenish sort of colour, not the jet black colour of most lcd panels

with no light or limited light environments a good plasma like the pioneer or the panasonis will no doubt look blacker then any lcd, but with brighter enviroment all you will be seeing is the colour of the panel itself , not its ability to display black, hence a good lcd will usually always look blacker then a plasma

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guys one thing to remeber when comparing plasma's to lcd's at stores like JB Hifi which normally have quite a bit of lighting is that you will be seeing the colour of the panel rather then its ability to display black.

what i mean by this is if you have any light on a pioneer kuro panel you will find that the glass is a light greenish sort of colour, not the jet black colour of most lcd panels

with no light or limited light environments a good plasma like the pioneer or the panasonis will no doubt look blacker then any lcd, but with brighter enviroment all you will be seeing is the colour of the panel itself , not its ability to display black, hence a good lcd will usually always look blacker then a plasma

Guest c_y_b
Which JB store by the way? I was also in a JB store today and saw the new TH-46PZ800A. The picture was awful - it looked poor next to the adjacent sets with the same source material playing.

I'll assume the set I saw needs some adjustment to get it right as Reviews suggest the colour reproduction on the 800A is an improvement on the 700A. But even if that was the problem, from what I could see it still suffers from the same haziness previous Panas suffer from.

It was at JB HI-FI Southland (SE Melbourne). Since then i have also trekked down to other stores to check it out (Myer/HV/Good Guys) - most of these places had less ambient light and i was able to see the true benefits of the panel. I too have read many reviews about the pana being the next best thing to the Pio Kuro. I have also had the benefit of doing side by side comparisons to the Samsung and Sony LCD's. I have to say that all units are pretty good and in the end its the consumer choice. I still cant go past the Pana though as the image is a lot smoother, blacks are much deeper (when your in standard lighting conditions i.e. NOT JB southland) i can definately see your point about picture hazziness/blurriness but when i look closely at the LCD's (Samsung and Sony) i can always see foreign artifacts in fast moving pictures. As im a sports fanatic, this is definately something i'll notice. However, sitting at 3m away from the screen, i think ill find it hard to pick up the hazziness on panny.

I beleive the 50 inch 800's will be out in 2-3 weeks (according to Good Guys). Im also thinking of waiting to see what price we can get for the 58 inch. Atm it looks like 6K is RRP but am hopeful we can pick it up for 5K.

I beleive the 50 inch 800's will be out in 2-3 weeks (according to Good Guys). Im also thinking of waiting to see what price we can get for the 58 inch. Atm it looks like 6K is RRP but am hopeful we can pick it up for 5K.

Does anyone know when the 58" Pana's will be available?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I m new at the forum and since i've been feeding most of my info/research from you guys thought to give my 2 cents here for who's been or still is under the same as I've been...

Decided between 3 tvs to get this one (bravia 50PZ800A) the runner's up where the Samsung 52'' LCD series 6 and Pioneer Kuro (which was the first choice in terms of quality, but Value for Money, the Pana won by faaar...

That said, I will post my receipt from Domayne@Hills Home Center if anyone wants it, where I bought it for AU$2350 aprox which I m sure a lost of you will be glad to know about and get a good deal for it as I did. I ended up paying 2950$ which included a 450$ 4 year extra warranty (total 5 w/ Pana's one) 100$ worth of a Belkin Surge protection pad, and the 50$ delivery fee.

Let me know if interesting in the docket.

I ended up paying 2950$ which included a 450$ 4 year extra warranty (total 5 w/ Pana's one) 100$ worth of a Belkin Surge protection pad, and the 50$ delivery fee.

Yes please!! can I ask where you got it from? EDIT: Yes, it was early Monday morning... No, my brain hadn't woken up yet!!!!

This is a new low price... :D

Edited by OverFienD

That said, I will post my receipt from Domayne@Hills Home Center if anyone wants it, where I bought it for AU$2350 aprox which I m sure a lost of you will be glad to know about and get a good deal for it as I did. I ended up paying 2950$ which included a 450$ 4 year extra warranty (total 5 w/ Pana's one) 100$ worth of a Belkin Surge protection pad, and the 50$ delivery fee.

Please do post the docket - the price seems VERY good :)

Your right there. You pay $1600 more for the Kuro above the Panasonic so in the end it comes down want compromises you want to make. As you said they do come next to the Kuro so it isn't a bad compromise.

The samsung PS50A650 plasma has a much better picture than the 800A.I would rate it 2nd(just) after the Kuro.

Heard it'll be out begining of september.

The samsung PS50A650 plasma has a much better picture than the 800A.I would rate it 2nd(just) after the Kuro.

Heard it'll be out begining of september.

Care to define “better” ?

Edited by Owen

I've seen the Series 6 plasma and it is very smooth with beautiful colours and deep blacks. I don't know if it will be better than the 800a because I haven't seen them side by side but even if it's equally as good Samsung give you 2 years warranty and Panasonic give you 12 months. Samsungs frames are nicer I think and also the swivel stand on the Samsungs are a bigger turning range.

Hi

Would you be able to post the docket to me as well

Many thanks in advance

BA

Hi all,

I m new at the forum and since i've been feeding most of my info/research from you guys thought to give my 2 cents here for who's been or still is under the same as I've been...

Decided between 3 tvs to get this one (bravia 50PZ800A) the runner's up where the Samsung 52'' LCD series 6 and Pioneer Kuro (which was the first choice in terms of quality, but Value for Money, the Pana won by faaar...

• 2 weeks later...
'ello, I'm new to the forum but just thought I'd add my 2c.

I've been researching plasmas - found a US review of what I assume is the same model:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/pan...7-32886472.html

side by side with the samsung PS50a650

http://plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvrev...g-pn50a650.html

good reviews for both, but i ended up ordering the samsung $2879 delivered to Adelaide

Hi all,

Just picked up 50PZ800A for $2500, 4 yrs wty $199 from JB Dandy. They price matched a recpt from Good Guys Highpoint, printed from another thread. Have been looking since they were released in Aug, I am very happy with this price.

Colin.

Just picked up 50PZ800A for $2500, 4 yrs wty $199 from JB Dandy. They price matched a recpt from Good Guys Highpoint, printed from another thread. Have been looking since they were released in Aug, I am very happy with this price.

Colin.

Could you scan & attach the docket here please... :rolleyes: I've tried a few shops in Melbourne and none would match that price :o

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE (Colbunko @ Sep 7 2008, 11:31 AM)

Colin.

Hi Colin, could you please scan the receipt and send to leonlice@yahoo.com? much appreciated... )

Hi all,

Hi Seb,

Im going to be the 50PZ800A soon, woud you mind to scan the receipt? thanks alot.

Edited by kungfupanda

Could you scan & attach the docket here please... :rolleyes: I've tried a few shops in Melbourne and none would match that price :o

Sorry all. I mainly watch another 2 threads and I didn't see your requests. I will bring the recpt to work tomorrow and rescan.

Colin