Sign in to follow this  
aeon1503559541

New 2008 Sony Bravias

Bought a V4000 for $1990 & free PS3 game on Saturday. Thought it was quite a good price and they had sold about 10 that morning, had about 2 in stock.

Where from AnonyMiss? Does sound like a good price. JB brochure has it on "sale" for $2096. Another thread mentioned HN had done it for $1900. JB Chaddy didn't have any available. They seem to be moving quick.

Edit - For the record I am commenting on the 40V4000, not the 32.

Edited by punkinrs

Anyone with a W series seeing any sparkles?

I was at Myer MacQuarie Centre at lunch time today. They had a 32V4000 which was sparkle city.

It was so bad it was unwatchable.

The colour was all wrong too.

The sparkles were mostly white, but some were red.

They seemed to follow the contours of the image. Could it be a HDMI connection problem??

Not sure what connection they were using.

I was at Myer MacQuarie Centre at lunch time today. They had a 32V4000 which was sparkle city.

It was so bad it was unwatchable.

The colour was all wrong too.

The sparkles were mostly white, but some were red.

They seemed to follow the contours of the image. Could it be a HDMI connection problem??

Not sure what connection they were using.

What are sparkles?

I'm thinking of picking up a KDL32V4000 and want to know what to look out for.

the ones i have seen so far ie Sony Central and Jb in Melb CBD Central have been fine. for the 32 inch $1999 is more than HN's advertised price of $1799..

see, this is exactly how people get tricked into buying the new models, they just assume the new one is better. BE2 is no better than BE EX, it still doesn't have DRC (Digital Reality Creation) like BE EX and BE PRO.

i'm not saying the W4000 is a bad product. but the truth is, this is the model that is being sold as a V series product (V440) in China and some other asian countries for under AUD$1500 (40'), and now sony australia brings it here and sell it as a mid-range for $2699. sure there is a free ps3 offer, but when it finishes, it will become a pure rip-off.

it will be interesting to see what the new X series will be like. maybe they just gonna bring W series from asia to here and sell it as X series.

How right on you are. If you are ready to believe, you are easy to deceive. :huh:

Infact the BE EX uses (DRC) & the BE PRO uses Advanced DRC which further enhances upscaling of SD material.

Also the new X series will apparently be the X4000 due in Sep which includes the Bravia Engine Pro 2 & LED backlighting on the 46"+ models. (originally i was under the impression it was going to be called the Z series but ive been told that is a US model.)

Edited by MrMan

What are sparkles?

In this case, the sparkles were tiny white (or red) marks that appeared to be about 2-4 pixels high and 1-2 pixels wide.

They were all over the screen and moved only slowly with the picture content. They appeared to sit just where

there was a transition in the horizontal direction between certain values of colour. This could mean it was

caused by digital transition noise in the data stream, possibly on the HDMI interface.

It was absolutely appalling to watch. They should have just turned it off and placed a service call.

Where from AnonyMiss? Does sound like a good price. JB brochure has it on "sale" for $2096. Another thread mentioned HN had done it for $1900. JB Chaddy didn't have any available. They seem to be moving quick.

Edit - For the record I am commenting on the 40V4000, not the 32.

It was at Joondalup Retravision, WA. They had it for $1988 in the Good Guys Catalogue last week (without the game) but it has gone up this week.

Does anyone know how long it takes Sony to "receive" the documentation, as I sent it at the weekend?

see, this is exactly how people get tricked into buying the new models, they just assume the new one is better. BE2 is no better than BE EX, it still doesn't have DRC (Digital Reality Creation) like BE EX and BE PRO.

i'm not saying the W4000 is a bad product. but the truth is, this is the model that is being sold as a V series product (V440) in China and some other asian countries for under AUD$1500 (40'), and now sony australia brings it here and sell it as a mid-range for $2699. sure there is a free ps3 offer, but when it finishes, it will become a pure rip-off.

it will be interesting to see what the new X series will be like. maybe they just gonna bring W series from asia to here and sell it as X series.

If i understand correctly isnt the W4000 this years replacement model of the 2007 W3100?

If so why isnt the new W4000 with the BE2 (no DRC) no better than the old W3100 with the BE EX & DRC ???

Or maybe Sony are not replacing a W with a W, instead possibly releasing 2 new top end models (X4000 like in UK) later in the year pushing the W down a rung on a list.

Edited by The Cool GUy

Does anyone know how long it takes Sony to "receive" the documentation, as I sent it at the weekend?

I sent it by overnight post on Wednesday the 2nd and it didn't update until Tuesday the 8th, so give it a week.

What are sparkles?

Video of sparkles - minor

More info here

If i understand correctly isnt the W4000 this years replacement model of the 2007 W3100?

If so why isnt the new W4000 with the BE2 (no DRC) no better than the old W3100 with the BE EX & DRC ???

Or maybe Sony are not replacing a W with a W, instead possibly releasing 2 new top end models (X4000 like in UK) later in the year pushing the W down a rung on a list.

yes, i believe this is the case.

as far as i know, the new V4000 is called J400 in asia, which is the low end bravia product. the new W4000 is V440 in asia, slightly better than J400. and then they have W380 which is our W3100 with motionflow 100hz + BE PRO + twin tuner.

so yeah, 2 new high end range could come this year, X and Z i guess.

the free PS3 deal is only on the new V4000 series & the current W,X,XBR 3100 series according to the promo thread.

Hi I'm only new at this, so forgive me if I'm not replying or posting right...

I have just put a down payment on a KDL46W4000. I haven't picked it up yet but I was wondering, are the US model numbers for this version different to ours, I'm trying to determine if this model "down under" has Motionflow. It's quite unclear on the Aus sony website. It looks like it doesn't have this feature.

Should I worry about this? I actually went in with intention to purchase the X series 3100 for the motionflow but ended up buying the later model of the W Series.. I got a good deal and was happy getting a later model etc. My sales guy assured me that the W and the X both have the same features.

The US model number equivalent to this looks like 4100 ?? And if that's the case the US one does have this feature. Anyway I've read a bit on this forum and there 's some talk of it being a bit of nuisance?

We watch a bit of sport so it was a concern.. and thus the decision to go with this particular LCD vs Plasma

From my understanding one of you mentioned that it may have 50hz? Also what's the main difference to bravia engine pro and bravia engine 2? Can anyone shed light?

The W4000 does not have Motionflow - it is a 50Hz model.

The sales guy was way wrong - the W4000 and X3100 features are very different. The V4000 and W4000 are pretty similar, and the X3100 and XBR3100 are pretty similar.

Im told there's a 60+ inch Sony Z series hanging in the lobby of Channel 7 in Pyrmont. They landed it off Sony months and months before consumer release.

If you can get one the 46w4000 is as close to the x series I have seen. I will be doing some anal testing to compere them tomorrow.