Sign in to follow this  
aeon1503559541

New 2008 Sony Bravias

Hi, yeah I bought a 40W4000 last night :)

I got it from JB Nunawading, they said they only had 1 in stock. (I tried goodguys, myers, etc and none had stock)

Hey, I'm interested in this one too. How much did you pay for it? I've so far gotten a quote for $2190 in Melbourne.

I got it for $2200

I'm sure you can get it for lower, but that store only had 1 in stock and I wanted it! :lol:

Checked Harvey Norman (Bundall-Gold Coast,QLD)-no 4000 series on display at all, still has X3100/D3100/V3100/S3100's on display.

Bought the new Bravia 32V4000 on Friday from Sony Central.

Very happy with it so far, although would like some advice regarding settings. What's best for blu-ray. gaming and normal TV? Can anyone help??

Free PS3 as well on the way.

Cost price of these are $1680-, so if you get close to this its a good buy with the free PS3.

may I ask what price?, seems like Sony Central are the only ones who have stock, this is crap given all the advertising by Sony and the retailers, JB and HN both said end of this week for stock of the 32v4000.

may I ask what price?, seems like Sony Central are the only ones who have stock, this is crap given all the advertising by Sony and the retailers, JB and HN both said end of this week for stock of the 32v4000.

I paid $1700 as they wouldn't do cost price, although they said they were walking out at $1999.

I wonder what Harvey's would do them for given their advertised price was $1799-?

Bought the new Bravia 32V4000 on Friday from Sony Central.

Very happy with it so far, although would like some advice regarding settings. What's best for blu-ray. gaming and normal TV? Can anyone help??

Free PS3 as well on the way.

Cost price of these are $1680-, so if you get close to this its a good buy with the free PS3.

"How to get the most from your BRAVIA"

(Recommendations from Australian Sony website)

1. Change the picture mode (View Menu) from 'VIVID'-the factory preset designed for high brightness environments such as shopfronts, to 'STANDARD'.

The 'Standard picture' mode is the optimised setting for home entertainment use, providing natural pictures, even in varied lighting conditions.

2. a. Adjust 'BACKLIGHT' to between 6-8

2. b. Select 'PICTURE' and adjust sliding level to '90'

Reducing the picture setting to 90 and reducing the backlight will produce accurate pictures and enhance shadow detail when viewing varied video content.

3. Enable Light Sensor

Once enabled, the light sensor will automatically adjust performance of the television to suit changing lighting conditions.

This actually looks ok for SD-standard definition (freeview) here in Australia (day and night)- eliminates that "cloudy/dusty look" of the screen that cinema mode gives me.

At first I hated the light sensor without the other adjustments but with other changes above, it looks good.

I spent 30 hours trying to adjust the thing myself.

The above recommended settings are for all Bravias.

t fountas would you possibly be able to scan or email a receipt, sent you a pm, was it sony central in melb cbd?

t fountas

I also sent you a PM Mate, please get back to me.

Cheers.

Paul.

I saw the V and w 4000s today - Im posting my impressions in 2 threads as there are so many of them.

In short - w 4000 is far better tha old x series in my books

W picture is better than x esp blacks and detail.

w motion is really good (BE2) vs x series smear and blur coupled with fake looking motionflow and huge artifacts.

V motion is on par with W BUT v picture is washed out .... WCG backlight is really night and day in a side by side. V picture in fact looks ALOT like the old S series with better motion.

MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME ,.....

- EPG is one button fast and worth its weight in gold. It also seems to drop over the existing chanel so you can listen to your prog while checking prog guide. Handy and seamless.

- And it has a favorites button. These ALMOST make up for the still slow channel change.

- XMB is slick and easy.

Other points

- I couldnt find autodim off feature,

- screen is matt as x series,

- I looked for sparkes for 5 mins on dark BD and couldnt see any. However the pic is VERY sharp and has some noise up close so Ill bet the sparkles could be some more prominant noise at times. Non issue IMO.

- "Hole in bottom small, tinted and unnoticable. Styling 10/10 if you can handle piano black (I dont like it but gotta admit it looks classy)

- NOT an 650 killer. Love or hate glossy screens the A650 is alot better than any other LCD around ATM.

- And it has a favorites button. These ALMOST make up for the still slow channel change.

Good point mantronic. Friends had a 37" Samsung (from memory) and changing channels was painfully slow - ie. 5-7 seconds. I thought it seemed so strange, but they used Foxtel so changed channels via that instead. What's changing channels speed like with the new W4000 ?

Daz

Good point mantronic. Friends had a 37" Samsung (from memory) and changing channels was painfully slow - ie. 5-7 seconds. I thought it seemed so strange, but they used Foxtel so changed channels via that instead. What's changing channels speed like with the new W4000 ?

Daz

Slow - pretty much identical to last years x. anywhere between 2-5 seconds if say.

Panasonic is lightning fast ... they take digital tuners seriously.

But sony has really shocked me with the EPG - Id say its better than the viera version. And things like favorites button is something we were saying months ago should have been on last years models ... they must have stolen our idea.

"How to get the most from your BRAVIA"

(Recommendations from Australian Sony website)

1. Change the picture mode (View Menu) from 'VIVID'-the factory preset designed for high brightness environments such as shopfronts, to 'STANDARD'.

The 'Standard picture' mode is the optimised setting for home entertainment use, providing natural pictures, even in varied lighting conditions.

I know it's a nitpicky thing but shouldn't they ship them with home optimised settings and then if a shop wants to display one they can change it to vivid themselves?

Far more go to customers still factory boxed than get set up in stores...

I know it's a nitpicky thing but shouldn't they ship them with home optimised settings and then if a shop wants to display one they can change it to vivid themselves?

Far more go to customers still factory boxed than get set up in stores...

there is an option in the setup menu when you first turn on the TV. it asks if it is for 'home' or 'store' setup. This was in the 32v4000 menu.

I saw the V and w 4000s today - Im posting my impressions in 2 threads as there are so many of them.

In short - w 4000 is far better tha old x series in my books

W picture is better than x esp blacks and detail.

w motion is really good (BE2) vs x series smear and blur coupled with fake looking motionflow and huge artifacts.

V motion is on par with W BUT v picture is washed out .... WCG backlight is really night and day in a side by side. V picture in fact looks ALOT like the old S series with better motion.

LOL. Whateva makes you happy. There is no way the bottom- mid range W is better than the top of the line X series let alone the V series (which you rate on par with the w). No contest. Maybe applying the correct setting on the X series before making comparisons would help you realise it the best LCD for motion. LOL

LOL. Whateva makes you happy. There is no way the bottom- mid range W is better than the top of the line X series let alone the V series (which you rate on par with the w). No contest. Maybe applying the correct setting on the X series before making comparisons would help you realise it the best LCD for motion. LOL

Yes but he's comparing this gen's W with last gen's X so there's every chance the new W is indeed better than last gen's X.

I've read similar reports from others who have also seen them in action.

Now when the new gen X (or Z series) comes out later this year here that would be a different story - then you'd expect them to be better than the W.

According to reviews the channel change is pleasantly swift compared to last years models.

According to reviews the channel change is pleasantly swift compared to last years models.

The channel change on the V series is very quick, and the guide is very easy to use. Interface is excellent all round.

No compliants on the 32V4000 so far.

Yes but he's comparing this gen's W with last gen's X so there's every chance the new W is indeed better than last gen's X.

No theres not . Nice try though.

No theres not . Nice try though.

LOL. Have you even seen the new W in action? If not, I don't know how you can argue with people who have. Anyway, each to their own.

Regardless, it's good news for LCD fans and the new X/Z should be better still.