New 2008 Sony Bravias

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With today being the last day of the financial year, I'd really like to take advantage of the savings available. I was considering a 52inch X or XBR, but now with these coming up within a few months and the leap that the XBR8 seems to have made in tech, I'm in two minds on whether to upgrade now or later. Problem is my current old 68cm WEGA is failing at to the top of the picture, and it'd be over-capitalising to even get it fixed. It's lost about 3-4cms at the top.

Anyone else got an argument for or against waiting?

So anyone got any shop arrival dates for the new W/V series? Got my finger poised on the trigger to get a W4000

I've been told mid-July (2 weeks time), but I'm in North Queensland. They would have to be hitting the floor in the Cap cities within the week.

how many bit's panel is the Samsung 650? I see the Samsung is 4ms response versus the 8ms of the Bravias. I can't understand why the sony is more expensive? If anything I'd have thought the Samsung should be more expensive...

Samsung 650 is a 10-bit panel

any updates on vic stores for the v series ie locations and pricing?

Good guys Essendon don't stock them yet

the website doesn't say but besides the 8bit and 10bit panel what else is the difference between the KDL40V4000 and KDL40W4000 scre or 50hzen.

No mention if its 100hz or 50hz, anybody know. The website is useless.

Good guys Essendon don't stock them yet

the website doesn't say but besides the 8bit and 10bit panel what else is the difference between the KDL40V4000 and KDL40W4000 scre or 50hzen.

No mention if its 100hz or 50hz, anybody know. The website is useless.

They are both 50hz. The only differences between the V4000 & W4000 is the W is 10 bit, uses 4 less watts in power & has an extra grey piece on the bezel which makes it look more rectangle IMO.

However the are also differences between the new W4000 & the older model W3100( which you should be able to pick up cheaper even though they both have the same rrp) . The new W4000 has a greater contrast ratio & includes a digital media port.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...tID2=KDL40V4000

They are both 50hz. The only differences between the V4000 & W4000 is the W is 10 bit, uses 4 less watts in power & has an extra grey piece on the bezel which makes it look more rectangle IMO.

However the are also differences between the new W4000 & the older model W3100( which you should be able to pick up cheaper even though they both have the same rrp) . The new W4000 has a greater contrast ratio & includes a digital media port.

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...tID2=KDL40V4000

Thanks

any updates on vic stores for the v series ie locations and pricing?

Sony Central, Prahran has the S, V and W models on display.

The S series is nothing special in terms of image quality. This is not a replacement for the 'D' series. It isn't 100hz, no motionflow and its black levels are inferior. No better than a lot of yumcha TV's I have seen.

The 32" V series didn't look as good to me as the 40" model. The colours looked a little flat, even though it was set up the same as the 40". The V series are definitely 8 bit panels. The 40" was a good performer and similar to the W series in most respects.

The 40" W series looked very good. I preferred it's picture quality to the X series 40". Its colours and contrast were excellent, as were the black levels. Motion handling was smooth, but there was jaggies in objects like bridges and some buildings. The styling looks very clean and modern. It's greyscale was slightly better than the 40" V series and the colours were a little bit more saturated. Definitely the pick of the bunch.

As far as pricing goes, they offered a customer the 40" W series TV with a stand and the PS3 offer, but nothing off the RRP.

They said they had plenty of stock on order, with more coming in. More of the W series than the V series. The 32" V series is supposed to be in limited supply.

Ah, thanks-so the S series for 2008 is a non-Full HD range like the D series was last year.

Hey guys,

yeah, just dropped into JB Knox. They have the 40W4000 but I don't know how many. Without much haggling they gave me a price of $2190. Anyone have any more details of Victorian stores with price and stock details?

Thanks.

Dennis.

Hi All - First time posting - Thanks for all the info, very helpful. For all Perth people who are keen to see a W4000 in the flesh, the only place i could find who have stock and a unit on display is Sony Central Perth. I got told retail of $2699 but $2500 should be do-able.

I called HN Morley,Cannington, Osborne Park and City West and JB Cannington and Osborne Park. No joy. I also spoke to Retravision, Good Guys and Rick Hart Osborne Park who all said the W series would be 1-2 weeks away, nothing definite.

Hi,

New KDL40W4000 can also be used as a digital photo frame (USB) while KDL40V4000 doesn't have it. I was waiting for it. ;)

Bing Lee Sydney Skygarden gave me $2299 cash for KDL40W4000 or +$100 for 18 month intrerest free. Additional 4 years warranty is $179.

Still thinking...

Alex