New 2008 Sony Bravias

Trying to get one before Olympics. Just in time for the new 4000 series and July promotion. yeah!

Anyone know what is main difference between W4000 and V4000?

From what I can see of the Sony American site and CNET, it appears that the new W series will have many of the feature now contained in our X/XBR series. eg 100Hz and motionflow. It looks like these are going to come onto our market in july.

The 46W4100 is new to the US and retails for US$2400. By comparison the 46XBR4 (equivalent to our 46X3100??) retails for US$3300 and the 46XBR5 (equivalent to our 46XBR??) retails for US$3600.

If all this is correct it means we might be able to pick up something equivalent to our 46X3100 for around $2000 in July with a PS3 thrown in for good measure! if, if, if...........

Rev

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was told the same thing too - hence why Sony are stockpiling PS3's and not dishing to dealers ATM.

Long time reader, first time poster:P

Would this apply to only the -new- models or existing full HD's as well?

i was thinking of a 40" W as i'm sure i could flash some cash and get one for 2k-ish. Tho i could get a 42" panasonic for the same price most likely.

The ps3 deal will be the deciding factor i think:P And good timing due to end of year bonus :D

Edited by poisonfruitloops

Looking at KDL-40W4000 at Sony UK

40" (102 cm) BRAVIA 1080p HD W4000 LCD TV features the stunning draw the LINE design concept, clear and defined picture quality thanks to BRAVIA ENGINE 2, and a unique Picture Frame Mode turning your TV into a gorgeous HD picture frame

Please be aware that the features/specifications can differ from country to country.

* Watch TV, movies, photos and games in superb High Definition detail thanks to the 6.2 mega pixel resolution

* When you are not watching TV, turn it into a digital picture frame with the fantastic Picture Frame Mode. Fill the black hole in your living room by using your TV to display your own pictures or the 6 pre-installed images

* Experience incredibly clear and defined images with BRAVIA ENGINE 2 picture enhancement technology and Advanced Contrast Enhancer

* It's easy to use your TV screen to view your digital photographs with USB Photo Viewer and with PhotoTV HD you can see them in superb High Definition quality

* No more confusing menu screens thanks to our easy-to-navigate XrossMediaBar™ to browse all your TV functions

* See vibrant and natural colours with Live Colour Creation and x.v.Colour on the 10-Bit LCD panel

* Featuring the draw the LINE design concept and Midnight Sky finish, the BRAVIA W4000 looks fantastic and has a versatile swivel function

* Control your entire home cinema set-up with just one click on the TV remote thanks to BRAVIA Sync

* Three HDMI™ inputs (two on rear, one on side, all with CEC) make it even easier to connect to High Definition sources such as Blu-ray Disc™ and PLAYSTATION®3

* If watching films is your thing then this is the TV for you - view movies exactly how the director intended with 24p True Cinema

* Experience the effect of digital surround sound from only two front speakers with Virtual Dolby® Surround and BBE ViVA sound technology

* Watch digital TV with the integrated standard definition digital terrestrial tuner (MPEG-2, also receives analogue)

* Watch cable TV with the integrated digital cable tuner (subject to country and with supported operators only)

* Wall mountable with the optional bracket SU-WL500

* Power consumption data: 0.19W in standby, 176W in operation

* Available to buy from May 2008

* Registering your BRAVIA couldn’t be easier, so do it today and become a My Sony member

The US Model Number is KDL-40W4100

40" BRAVIA® W Series LCD Flat Panel HDTV

W series features: Full HD 1080p, Motionflow™ 120Hz, BRAVIA Engine 2™ digital video processing, Advanced Contrast Enhancer circuit (ACE), 24p True Cinema capable, enhanced XMB™ user interface, BRAVIA Sync capable, piano black gloss color

$1,899.99

You're looking at the New UK model Sony Tv's

I'm waiting for Sony Australia to release the specs on the new models that will be sold here.

The UK get quiet a few newer models. the new range. Some we don't get. And the UK models are all only HD Ready, meaning they only include a SD tuner and lack internal HD tuners, since they don't broadcast HD over there on FTA tv except on BBC HD. As most HD over there is obtained via other services requiring an External Decoder Box.

Will the new Sonys include a weekly EPG function this time, unlike the older previous models which only came with Now and Next program guide?

The word on the street is no new X/XBRs for us this year, same ones continue :(

Are you sure?

I heard November from another post. Maybe just in time to compete against the Sammy 7 Series.

If all this is correct it means we might be able to pick up something equivalent to our 46X3100 for around $2000 in July with a PS3 thrown in for good measure! if, if, if...........

Rev

Ah No, i dont think so LOL.

* Experience incredibly clear and defined images with BRAVIA ENGINE 2 picture enhancement technology and Advanced Contrast Enhancer

Still not as good as the Bravia Engine Pro which already has the Advanced Contrast Enhancer & better motion.

Sony X and XBR's will continue in 2008 (or atleast there won't be a new model released with the other ones).

W series that will be released next month in Australia will not have 100/120hz like in the US. It will still be 50hz with some other features thrown in.

Mostly sony have enhanced the lower range for now. But nothing significant.

Still not as good as the Bravia Engine Pro which already has the Advanced Contrast Enhancer & better motion.

Reports are better motion flow than x, no underlying smearing unlike x (see fudonhs test on AVS forum), and better blacks than X series and on some reports even better than the glossy screen A650.

W also has XMB interface looks better IMO too.

However, I expect W to have 8 bit panel, slightly glossier screen, and inferior colours sharpness etc (X stll in a league of its own in these respects).

New X series will have Pro 2 engine though.

The 40" W series details.

KDL40W4000

50Hz

1080p/24

XMB(Xross Menu Bar) Same as PS3

10 Bit panel

New backlight

FREE PS3(for July)

Wait for it......

$2699 RRP :D

Too cheap - respectfully calling bs on this ... Myer have it in their system already as $3300 rrp ie x money.

If thats right it will be doable for $2k and ps3 will sellin days for $500 so its net $1500?????

Actually you say 50hz which is consistent with cnet report (us model is 120hz) ... bit of a bummer but at 50hz you could be right on price.

From cnet

"

The big wubble-you. While it's not quite top of the range, the W series will be Sony's flagship product until the Xs arrive late in the year. Styling is very similar to the V series with the essential difference being the backlighting: the W uses a WCGCCFL (Wide Colour Gamut CCFL) backlight for better colour reproduction. It will be available in 40-, 46-, and 52-inch in July."

Edited by mantronic

KDL40W4000

50Hz

1080p/24

10 Bit panel

New backlight

FREE PS3(for July)

Wait for it......

Yeah, thats about spot on, street price of about $2400........ and a PS3 ! !

Too cheap - respectfully calling bs on this ... Myer have it in their system already as $3300 rrp ie x money.

If thats right it will be doable for $2k and ps3 will sellin days for $500 so its net $1500?????

The current W-series 40" is stickered for $21xx at JBHifi... so it wouldn't seem too unreasonable for the replacement W series to be $2699 RRP. Also, RRP usually decrease or stays the same as new models in the same series, not increase, and the current W series is $2699...

I can handle that. As long as I can respectfully say "I told you so, I told you so". :P lol

Remember this is not over 3 months only1.

Actually you say 50hz which is consistent with cnet report (us model is 120hz) ... bit of a bummer but at 50hz you could be right on price.

From cnet

"

The big wubble-you. While it's not quite top of the range, the W series will be Sony's flagship product until the Xs arrive late in the year. Styling is very similar to the V series with the essential difference being the backlighting: the W uses a WCGCCFL (Wide Colour Gamut CCFL) backlight for better colour reproduction. It will be available in 40-, 46-, and 52-inch in July."

Having seen those X series with motionflow, I would rather switch it off. Movies being played with motionflow, ie 100hz, look like homemade videos.

Don't know how important the backlighting is, assume the difference should be noticable

KDL40W4000

50Hz

1080p/24

10 Bit panel

New backlight

FREE PS3(for July)

Wait for it......

The US Model Number is KDL-40W4100

40" BRAVIA® W Series LCD Flat Panel HDTV

W series features: Full HD 1080p, Motionflow™ 120Hz, BRAVIA Engine 2™ digital video processing, Advanced Contrast Enhancer circuit (ACE), 24p True Cinema capable, enhanced XMB™ user interface, BRAVIA Sync capable, piano black gloss color

$1,899.99

AUD 1 = 0.70 USD ? That's how Sony does its pricing?

Edited by kds5pp