New 2008 Sony Bravias

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EZYHD
wow new stuff. wonder if they are going to have any promos with the release of the new Sony LCD TVs.

If they do be prepared for a long wait for any freebee. :D

The way I understand it - the current X series is being replaced with the new W series (incl 100hz/Motionflow), the old W series maps to the new V series (incl 100hz/Motionflow), the new Z series is top of the range and as such better than the current X/XBR series and the new S series is an entry level 1080p range - can anyone confirm? Also please advise if anyone knows if these panels do 24fps natively? Cheers

Edited by Bertzz

The new models (except X-series) have been announced for July release:

http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/lcd/0,239035307...89839-1s,00.htm

New 32" & 40" V-Series are now 1080p

New 40", 46" and 52" W-Series.

New X-series not until November.

No new X or XBR series until November, well lucky for me as i bought a 52" X on Saturday.

Would of been real po'd if it was otherwise.

After my dissapointment with the samsungs Id consider a nice 50hz 1080p V or 100hz 1080p W, especiallty if pricinf is near current series (ie $2000 for 40 inch W)

w 52 should be better than current x in motion which is key for me on LCD (New bravia engine) but not quite the same picture (8 bit panel, lesser processing).

Newer 52s seem to be almost $1000 cheaper than current equivalents.

The lack of XMB and glass bezel killed the x for me along with flashlights, clouds, lack of uniformity.

Id still hold off buying .... there was a long thread about holding off purchases!

This could finally be the cheaper pricing mention in the gizmodo article!

Bravia 2008 release shedule

This is the release shedule for 2008.

Our australian releases typically mimic the european ones, a few months behind the american ones.

the new american models are the:

XBR6 (replacing the XBR4 - which is equal to our X)

XBR7 (replacing the XBR5 - which is equal to our XBR)

XBR8 (a new range of sonys with local backlight dimming)

I think these will be reflected in australian and european releases. How so, i dont know, but am trying to find out as I am tossing up between the sammy 7 series or waiting for these sonys

Sony Offical Site - New XBR Range

The bravias that are supposed to come out in july here are already out in america, the link above is for the new XBRs

Gday,

I just noticed that the new US versions of the Sony TVs have an Ethernet port at the back. What would that be used for ?

Inputs include:

• Four 1080/60p 24p HDMI connections
  • Two 1080/60p component inputs
  • 1080/60p PC input
  • Ethernet (RJ-45) port
  • RS-232C connection

Any ideas ?

Edited by RyanP

Gday,

I just noticed that the new US versions of the Sony TVs have an Ethernet port at the back. What would that be used for ?

Inputs include:

• Four 1080/60p 24p HDMI connections
  • Two 1080/60p component inputs
  • 1080/60p PC input
  • Ethernet (RJ-45) port
  • RS-232C connection

Any ideas ?

I had heard that some of the new Sony's will be able to conect to the internet for software updates. That might be it.

Free PS3 with all Full HD LCD TV's.

Including the 32" at $1999. July only. :lol:

Looks like a few Bravias being sold in July.

Hmmm, thinking about that one, with the free PS3 would mean under $1350 for 1080p 32". Good for sitting up close when playing the PS3 or XBox360, like 1m away.