Homecast Vs Beyond

The BeyonWiz also has a memory card reader and a network media player built-in, which in my view easily makes up for the extra $s.

If you just want a HD PVR then the Homecast is quite good but the BW certainly has some nice extra features and some extra functionality in it's GUI.

Hi, I am also looking into buying one HD PVR shortly. My shortlist, besides Homecast and Beyonwiz, includes the Topfiled as well.

However, apparently I have a prorblem with weak TV reception. Does anyone has an opinion as to which of the three is more powerful in terms of reception. (Of course the Topfield 7100 is yet to be released/tried, your experience can be based on the 7000.)

Thanks

Hi, I am also looking into buying one HD PVR shortly. My shortlist, besides Homecast and Beyonwiz, includes the Topfiled as well.

However, apparently I have a prorblem with weak TV reception. Does anyone has an opinion as to which of the three is more powerful in terms of reception. (Of course the Topfield 7100 is yet to be released/tried, your experience can be based on the 7000.)

Thanks

I have weak reception of SBS in my area, I could not pick up any SBS channels with my old LG 5100 STB but TF 7000pvr was able to pick up those channels quite well. I don't have experience with other HD PVR. If all you need is a PVR TF7000PVR fits the bill quite nicely, it allows you to record to the internal hard disc and also external hard disc.

is the dp-p1 better buy than the homecast about $150 extra is there justafication to spend the extra the beyond is much better looking machine can the people who have these machines tell me the good and bad

thanks jamie

Do you want the unit to also be a media player? If so, buy the Beyonwiz.

Do you want to use iceremote? If so, buy the Beyonwiz.

Reception capabilities don't vary all that much between boxes (you'll get similar variations between the exact same model as you will across brands) Unfortunately there's really no way to tell how your box will fair in your area until you get it home. You can get a booster (eg Kingray $50 Dick Smith 14 day money back guarantee) if you're boarder line and than can often fix any issue. Also tell the seller you're worried about the rcoeption and they'll usually allow you a week or so to bring a box back for refund (long as its still packed ok)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

reception is not a problem where i live i get brilliant a picture i don't know if ill use as a media center just looking for best performance i have a toppy sd pvr been good unit but hear the 7000 has a lot of problems would like to stay with topfield but am i buy trouble do i have to upgrade software all the time do the other two require regular updates

just a few things i want to know

thanks jamie

• 2 weeks later...
The BeyonWiz also has a memory card reader and a network media player built-in, which in my view easily makes up for the extra $s.

If you just want a HD PVR then the Homecast is quite good but the BW certainly has some nice extra features and some extra functionality in it's GUI.

Only the S1 has the media card reader though.

reception is not a problem where i live i get brilliant a picture i don't know if ill use as a media center just looking for best performance i have a toppy sd pvr been good unit but hear the 7000 has a lot of problems would like to stay with topfield but am i buy trouble do i have to upgrade software all the time do the other two require regular updates

just a few things i want to know

thanks jamie

I have no doubt Beyonwiz Homecast & Topfield will all require updates although the Topfield and Beyonwiz are very close to being bug free.

The 7100 although not yet released is very similar to the 7000 and from what we've been told when firmware is released for the 7100 the Topfield Engineer's can also produce a cut down firmware version for the 7000 at the same time or soon after.

I don't have a Homecast but I do have a Beyonwiz S1, Beyonwiz H1 and a Topfield 7000.

Any of these units combined with a good quality antenna and good quality RG6 Quad Shielded cables both in the wall and from the socket to the pvr and each device thereafter will yield very good results.

The Topfield 7000 has been out the longest and is the most feature packed HDPVR on the market without question. It's only flaw is no networking which the 7100 will soon rectify.

As far as reliability goes mine has never missed a recording since June/July 2007 and you can rest assured Topfield will continue to improve and enhance it.

It should be noted the last official update has some issues but an older firmware version that is reliable can be emailed to you from iTopfield forum members (including myself).

The beta testing team has been testing firmware since mid April 2008 for a new official release that will hopefully come soon.

We believe the major freezing issues are fixed as I'm pretty sure none of us have experienced any freezing in over a month in the last couple of beta releases.

The Beyonwiz units would come a near second, it's a first gen product from a new company and it's a damn fine first effort but it still has a few little issues for some people. It has missed recordings but has been very reliable in the last few months. The media player side of things is a little choosy with what it will and won't play with some file formats it states it's capable of playing but overall 70% of my files work. On occassion it crashes too. Forum users have been advised in the next one or two updates they will be giving the Media Player a big workover to try to make it more robust.

Network transfers are too slow and streaming between units only works if your displaying an SD channel, or in a menu screen on the box being streamed from.

again like Topfield Beyonwiz is very dedicated to enhancing and improving all it's products and I have no doubt it's next generation of pvr's will be coming in the not too distant future.

Edited by Vortical

yes i am hoping to buy one in 2-3-weeks when the tax man sends me some money when is the topfield 7100 coming out

i would be interested in this as i have two toppy stbs and they are great don't miss a beat

i was looking at the toppy 7000 but hearing bad things? if there true or not i don't know i will be keeping an open mind when buying one thanks every one for your help

jamie

yes i am hoping to buy one in 2-3-weeks when the tax man sends me some money when is the topfield 7100 coming out

i would be interested in this as i have two toppy stbs and they are great don't miss a beat

i was looking at the toppy 7000 but hearing bad things? if there true or not i don't know i will be keeping an open mind when buying one thanks every one for your help

jamie

The 7100 should be released in July as someone stated in another thread after they rung Topfield directly.

P1 has one too - but limited to CF & SD (plus USB of course - add a $20 card reader and you have them all)

Philip

Thanks Phil. I was starting to wonder how I managed to view some photos off a CF memory card on my P1 ;)